Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 10, 2019 11:53 PM

Feb 2014
Mitchan and Ritchan feel like they're really made for each other. The basket is filling up with love.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 11, 2019 4:42 AM
Dec 2016
I really want Tohru and Kyo to be together ;-; ♥
Aug 11, 2019 5:02 AM

Mar 2017
Marcos_Aspira said:
kater_tot said:
Am i the only one who ships Ritsu & Mitchan? I think they'd make a really cute couple!

I do lol

Maybe we'll see them as a anime original couple, but time will tell

That would make me VERY happy haha
Aug 11, 2019 5:18 AM

Apr 2016
pretty bad episode.
We have now another annoying character introduced..a male who dresses like a girl and says "I'm sorry" every 20 seconds.. Why the author keeps making this kind of stupid annoying characters?

Aug 11, 2019 5:30 AM

Jan 2018
Ritchan and Mitchan looks like they're gonna have a fun friendship together however I'm kind of worried since they're both kinds suicidal
Aug 11, 2019 10:44 AM

Sep 2011
kagura-pb said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
On another note, have we finally reached the Kyo arc now?

Nope, the Kyo arc will most likely be covered in the final three episodes.

is the kyo arc

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 11, 2019 11:00 AM

Aug 2014
JizzyHitler said:
kagura-pb said:

is the kyo arc

Aug 11, 2019 11:50 AM

Nov 2012
Chiibi said:
Shigure's SO freaking mean....downright evil, really...but I can't stop laughing at his evilness at the same time. xD

Kagura's the only one I find truly annoying (seriously want to punch her in the face) but if drama is what you want, you're in for a major treat for season one's finale....

That's why I love him.

Agreed. I disliked her in the original and I'm not fond of her in this one.
Aug 11, 2019 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
Knew he was a trap the first time I laid my eyes on him xD. Still though, I found Ritsu to be quite amusing. But to have your self-esteem to be that low is not healthy, at all. That's why I kinda felt sad for the guy.

One thing I liked and noticed about the episode is kindness can affect others. If you're kind to someone, that kindness has a chance to be passed on to others. When Tohru shared her life lesson to Ritsu about finding a motive to be alive, for his existence, it was obvious he took it to heart. Skip a few scenes later, Ritsu is walking alongside Mi-chan, when she seemed to be getting kinda down, Ritsu repeated the same words that Tohru had told him, which caused Mi-chan to brighten up. The kindness he received from Tohru is now spreading to Mi-chan. That was a really nice detail ;_;
Aug 11, 2019 4:37 PM

Jan 2019
JizzyHitler said:
kagura-pb said:

is the kyo arc
The Kyo arc will be the same story, but drastically different in this anime.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Aug 11, 2019 5:30 PM

Jun 2014
OMG, they changed so much from the manga. D: I don't like that. The manga is perfect as it is and this is supposed to be a faithful adaptaton (since the first anime wasn't) and while I think it's ok to change something here and there, this episode really changed too many things. It's the worst episode for me now. The old anime had a 1000 times better episode. And what the hell was that scene of Tooru almost falling from the roof in the middle of her encouragement speech, so totally unnecessary. D: Also, Ritsu's voice actor has an annoying voice (almost as bad as Hatori's). Anyway, looks like Hiro is next (and more Kisa <3).
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Aug 11, 2019 9:27 PM

Apr 2012
@PurpleGirl203 This is a pretty interesting idea. In fact, I am even surprised that until then we had less than 10 such pairings. The only clarification, if otokonoko is always a crossdresser, then Bifauxen can also be just an extremely androgynous girl.

Marcos_Aspira said:
kater_tot said:
Am i the only one who ships Ritsu & Mitchan? I think they'd make a really cute couple!

I do lol

Maybe we'll see them as a anime original couple, but time will tell

@kater_tot
Aug 12, 2019 6:53 AM
Mar 2018
SailorVeki said:
OMG, they changed so much from the manga. D: I don't like that. The manga is perfect as it is and this is supposed to be a faithful adaptaton (since the first anime wasn't) and while I think it's ok to change something here and there, this episode really changed too many things. It's the worst episode for me now. The old anime had a 1000 times better episode. And what the hell was that scene of Tooru almost falling from the roof in the middle of her encouragement speech, so totally unnecessary. D: Also, Ritsu's voice actor has an annoying voice (almost as bad as Hatori's). Anyway, looks like Hiro is next (and more Kisa <3).
The changes were for the better, the manga version was very dated and ritsu received little screentime. This episode was perfect for an introduction. Also wdym the va was phenomenal, really sold the emotions that ritsu's supposed to have. Tohru's fall was almost metaphorical for her speech and makes up for a powerful moment that without it wouldn't be as touching.
Aug 12, 2019 10:51 AM

Dec 2018
SailorVeki said:

The changes are made basically from Natsuki sensei... so if she's okay with it

So am I.
Aug 12, 2019 5:58 PM

Dec 2009
SailorVeki said:

The author herself have said a few times that she regrets some things from the manga that she wished she had done differently (for example: make Ritsu have more appearances since in the manga he only appeared a total of 5 times) and since she's supervising this adaptation pretty sure all the changes are her decision. This adaptation is not supposed to be JUST a faithful adapation but also a way for the author to adapt her own manga by writing the story the way she wanted back then.
Aug 12, 2019 8:28 PM
Aug 2011
This was... not good and Tohru says the same thing over and over just worded differently.
Aug 12, 2019 11:27 PM

May 2014
We inch closer to Kyo and I say it every week but I am SO EXCITED for it especially with the new animation. I can’t wait!!!
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Aug 13, 2019 2:10 PM

Sep 2011
To be frank, I think this was the worst episode by a longshot, the comedy in this series was always the weak point for me but here it was just so loud and obnoxious it was annoying, but the bigger problem is that it wasted so much time on that so when it transitioned to drama it felt really underserved and not built up to especially cause Tooru knew Ritsu for all of 5 minutes but we got this heart to heart out of no where where it felt like Tooru was repeating herself, it really feels like a sloppier more annoying version of last week's episodes except with ep 18 it actually felt like all the drama was built up to with proper parralel's to tooru's life and mother so it had proper pay off rather than just having tooru dramatically yell from a rooftop like this one and pretty much pull the mother parallel out her ass.

This is probably the only episode I would call outright bad, I'm kind of hard pressed to like anything in it, just a really flat introduction to a character that makes me kind of not want them to come back, i feel like the ship tease at the end especially left a sour taste in my mouth they should of focused on those 2 interacting and then had the whole dramatic rant come from mitchan not Tooru.

It feels a bit harsh for such a generally non important episode, but this whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth with how everything that could of worked was so mishandled.
JizzyHitlerAug 13, 2019 2:17 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 14, 2019 12:44 AM

Nov 2018
JizzyHitler said:
To be frank, I think this was the worst episode by a longshot, the comedy in this series was always the weak point for me but here it was just so loud and obnoxious it was annoying, but the bigger problem is that it wasted so much time on that so when it transitioned to drama it felt really underserved and not built up to especially cause Tooru knew Ritsu for all of 5 minutes but we got this heart to heart out of no where where it felt like Tooru was repeating herself, it really feels like a sloppier more annoying version of last week's episodes except with ep 18 it actually felt like all the drama was built up to with proper parralel's to tooru's life and mother so it had proper pay off rather than just having tooru dramatically yell from a rooftop like this one and pretty much pull the mother parallel out her ass.

This is probably the only episode I would call outright bad, I'm kind of hard pressed to like anything in it, just a really flat introduction to a character that makes me kind of not want them to come back, i feel like the ship tease at the end especially left a sour taste in my mouth they should of focused on those 2 interacting and then had the whole dramatic rant come from mitchan not Tooru.

It feels a bit harsh for such a generally non important episode, but this whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth with how everything that could of worked was so mishandled.

this time i have to agree, and it's sad since I found Ritsu's chapters incredibly funny in the manga
Aug 14, 2019 9:14 AM

Jan 2019
JizzyHitler said:

Luckily for you, Ritsu hardly shows up in the manga. He wasn’t a very popular character. I never liked this chapter in the manga either.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Aug 14, 2019 2:13 PM
Jan 2019
Oh no! Another man who looks like a woman, but I did realize that there was something odd about Ritchan in his voice, I said "something is wrong", hahaha. What a little trap xD.

Tohru, as always, touching my heart with his motivating words.

I am a bad person for laughing at the heavy jokes that Shigure makes to his editor, Mitchan, poor thing 😂.

Ps: It would be great to see a relationship between Ritsu and Mitchan. But that Akito doesn't find out.
Aug 14, 2019 9:13 PM

Apr 2018
A nice ep to be honest. Had a funny twist in the beginning but with a life lesson in the end which makes it nice. The monkey zodiac Ritsu apologizes too much but it's funny, he panics a lot xD
Aug 16, 2019 10:48 PM

May 2016
Everything is so fucking hamfisted in this show... Every episode I feel like the writers (or rather, the author) is trying to too aggressively shove things down my throat. The writing is so contrived and there's so little subtlety to any of it.

The tone shift this ep was particularly awful. We so abruptly went from light-hearted comedy--where characters were overreacting to everything and even threatening suicide as a gag--to a very serious moment where suddenly one of those characters apparently *wasn't* joking about suicide, and a super emotional and tearful 5 minute monologue (which she does EVERY SINGLE FUCKING episode) from our perfectly wise and bland protag Tohru (*cough* tool for the author to self-insert herself *cough*) was warranted. It came out of fucking no where.

The character in question was obviously being set up with personal issues, don't get me wrong, but it was done WAY too quickly and poorly. You kinda need to introduce those issues at SOME POINT beforehand in a NON-comedic light if you want to take a turn and make them so serious, and create such a riveting moment so full of deep ideas and thematic commentary (which was clearly what this show was going for here with the music). And preferably you'd dedicate more time to that character and their issues beforehand rather than just 10 brief minutes (if that)... And give the protag monologuing about that character's personal issues and what they have mistaken, more than just 5 lines of dialogue with and from them beforehand...
And how about showing us SOME of the problems his behaviour and mindset actually cause for him, rather than just some funny gags.

If the scene I'm talking about made any non-manga reader emotional, I'd love to hear from you, because I find it very hard to believe.

For me this show always comes off like bad high-schooler fan fiction, and I hate it.
And I really hate that I hate it because the concept, music (especially the music) and production values are all so great. And I have nothing against the themes themselves either.
ZaugrAug 16, 2019 11:26 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2019 3:43 AM

Jun 2007
"Sorry for breathing" is basically a leitmotif of the entire series.
so Ritsu is not trans, just a crossdresser? such poor ass writing. a full-time crossdresser but not trans... wut
"We don't have a reason to exist until we find someone who NEEDS us" another load of codependency bullcrap.
also suicide jokes
Shigure is a manipulative asshole
but i got my reasons to continue watching
see you, space cowperson . . .
Aug 19, 2019 3:11 PM

Nov 2018
Ritsu is so dramatic and repeats the same sentence every minute like 5 times, I would be lying if I said I don't find him very annoying. Mitsuru with him... Her character was funny but her being paired with him is going to be :/
OrangeCloudsAug 19, 2019 3:18 PM
Aug 19, 2019 6:28 PM

Mar 2013
I love Fruits Basket like life itself but this was cringe and bad. The shifts in tone gave me whiplash and the dialogue was dreadful. Walking back from buying takoyaki, editor's making light chat and then "I've been a nuisance to everyone my whole life, I don't know why I was even born". Really, boy? This is the conversation you're having with the lady you just met?

No.

I'm just going to hope this is the low point of the series and we get better again from here.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Aug 20, 2019 2:13 AM

May 2016
How he gonna teach a girl to wear a kimono without undressing her damn that would be creepy... but gave me a lot of laughs 4/5
Aug 20, 2019 7:17 AM
Aug 2019
Ritsu is my most despised character of all the Soma family I’m sorry to say, he really grates on me >_<

This was most definitely the most annoying & irritating episode of the whole series so far >_<
Aug 23, 2019 1:03 PM

Jul 2016
Overall, not the best of episodes but still entertaining enough.

At first, I found Ritsu really annoying but after knowing a bit of his backstory, I have to admit I understand him a bit more now. As someone said here, his personality is more or less similar to Zenitsu's (Kimetsu no Yaiba). They're really annoying at first but once you get to know them better, you just end up wanting to give them a big hug.

Ritchan and Mitchan becoming friends in the end was a really sweet scene, by the way.
Aug 26, 2019 9:21 AM

Oct 2013
WEW LAD it is crazy how a character's obnoxious ass voice can ruin what would otherwise be an empathetic character. I should've watched the sub, because Ritsu's English VA is trash, just fucking trash. Why do ladyboys in anime always have to sound like a man pretending to be a woman? Just talk normally, fuck's sake.

got dang man, the monkey is my zodiac so I was excited to see the monkey spirit and I am sorely disappointed. The worst part is he would be a very relatable character, and I can see the... "monkeyisms" if he wasn't such a fucking obnoxious meme. There's a lot of emotionally evocative scenes in this show, but sometimes the memes just overpower it. And here I have the worst voice in anime dubbing history shouting these hammed-up Fruits Basket-isms at the top of his lungs every 10 seconds. Holy shit man, that was a ride.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 4, 2019 12:40 AM

Apr 2016
Perhaps it's because I haven't watched any anime for the past month as I was binging through the FFXIV Shadowbringers story, but it was especially jarring to come back with this being my first episode in a while. It seemed ten seconds couldn't go by without someone having a mental breakdown. Three attempted suicides within five minutes! Goodness, ANOTHER crossdresser! Maybe it's just this particular episode. Also, another five minute long reminisicing scene about "oh sorry me, I'm a failure, I don't deserve anyone's love" and the obligatory "but life is still worth living!" speech, yada yada yada.

I empathize with Shigure more than ever. These guys are braindead morons and deserve to be trolled. Then again, Shigure apparently didn't even bother to SAVE his work in Microsoft Word, given as he had to rewrite the stained pages. I guess he's the least catatonic.
Sep 4, 2019 4:16 PM
May 2014
Ritchan seriously got me considering dropping the show
Sep 4, 2019 4:26 PM
May 2014
Don’t need the sympathy, jus kill yourself ritchan
Sep 5, 2019 3:07 AM
Jan 2018
i find Ritchan characters annoying anyway on to the next one
Sep 19, 2019 11:17 PM

Dec 2013
Ritsu's drama annoyed me tbh

The beginning of Ritsu x editor ship?
Sep 24, 2019 2:43 PM

Feb 2014
God, this was tedious, such an unlikeable and repetitive character, glad I'm not the only one with this opinion.
Oct 7, 2019 12:50 PM

Apr 2018
CeddyyBearr said:
Tohru's confusion when she finds out that Ritsu is actually a boy XD

Wow hold on, that editor and the rope caught me off-guard, what the hell?
Actually, scratch that, then Ritsu on the roof, what's with the episode being so heavy on suicide? :/

Either way, when Tohru got onto the roof, she gave quite the powerfull speech, but damn did my heart drop when Tohru fell due to that roof tile.

Kinda glad Ritsu & Mitsuru became friends at the end.

Meta_Yoshi said:
Ritsu finally makes his appearance and just like his mother, he has a massive habit of apologising and overreacting over every little thing. He's a bit similar to Demon Slayer's Zenitsu in a way. ^^;

It wasn't just me then, it very much reminded me of the way Zenitsu was introduced.

I just finished watching Demon slayer too and went on this episode & thought to myself "wow... another Zenitsu.." LOL.
Oct 10, 2019 6:49 PM

Mar 2012
every anime just has to have the shouting character, doesn't it? knew he was a guy as soon as i heard his voice.
Oct 13, 2019 2:49 PM

Jun 2015
yikes guess i'm in an unpopular opinion that i didn't mind ritchan too much. sure it can get annoying, but in the end i wanted to give him the biggest hug ever.
Oct 17, 2019 6:50 PM

Aug 2017
Hahahah this episode was really funny.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 20, 2019 10:01 PM
Mar 2019
Even though visually and thematically (and unusually dark in its blatant use of suicide as the punchline in numerous comedic scenes) these last two episodes might be some of the strongest episodes this season; I can't help but feel like the resolutions of the focal characters have been rushed.
I haven't watched the original or read the source material; are these characters more thoroughly explored in these versions? Outside of the central cast I think Kisa might be my favorite zodiac
KidLeafOct 20, 2019 10:05 PM
Dec 6, 2019 2:36 AM

Mar 2015
Lmao Richan-san was hilarious
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 20, 2019 7:55 AM

Sep 2016
i really do hate this type of hyperactive comedy.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Feb 16, 2020 9:38 AM

Feb 2017
First half of the episode was mostly comedy which I didn't find funny at all and I found Ritsu annoying which made me not caring for the heavy-handed drama in second half at all. Was just waiting for episode to finish.
Apr 17, 2020 2:50 PM

May 2010
I don't love the idea of another person being someone's sole reason to live, but otherwise this episode was great, had me laughing and tears in my eyes and different points.
May 3, 2020 9:54 AM
Mar 2017
CeddyyBearr said:
Tohru's confusion when she finds out that Ritsu is actually a boy XD

Wow hold on, that editor and the rope caught me off-guard, what the hell?
Actually, scratch that, then Ritsu on the roof, what's with the episode being so heavy on suicide? :/

Either way, when Tohru got onto the roof, she gave quite the powerfull speech, but damn did my heart drop when Tohru fell due to that roof tile.

Kinda glad Ritsu & Mitsuru became friends at the end.

Meta_Yoshi said:
Ritsu finally makes his appearance and just like his mother, he has a massive habit of apologising and overreacting over every little thing. He's a bit similar to Demon Slayer's Zenitsu in a way. ^^;

It wasn't just me then, it very much reminded me of the way Zenitsu was introduced.

I myself was so confused when i was reading the subtitles. I remember the mother telling that she had a Son but now the person shown in this episode is a female! But overall not a bad episode
May 3, 2020 9:56 AM
Mar 2017
YukiPwns00 said:
I don't love the idea of another person being someone's sole reason to live, but otherwise this episode was great, had me laughing and tears in my eyes and different points.

Well, that is debatable. In cases when you don't have any reason to live, it is good to have another person as the sole reason to live. But it does have two sides to it.
May 3, 2020 12:14 PM

May 2010
I suppose so, but I also don't believe that people are incomplete without others. Everyone is a complete person whether they love someone or not (at least when it comes to romantic love).
May 8, 2020 9:13 AM

Oct 2017
Loved this episode! I laughed so hard when Ristu went to see Michan the "stalker" and they had that chat.

Also, not sure if anyone is watching the English dub for this series, I am and Ristu's VA literally reminds me of the VA for the gingerbread man in Shrek xD
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2019

212 by contrastz »»
May 20, 12:34 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2019

167 by LucasDoragon »»
May 13, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2019

184 by LucasDoragon »»
May 13, 3:42 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

233 by kiteall »»
May 12, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

219 by kiteall »»
May 9, 10:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.