Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2010 11:21 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So Boogiepop and Boogiepop Phantom are actually two different entities. Interesting episode focusing on Nagi. This show just gets better and better, glad I watched the live action movie first though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 28, 2010 6:05 AM

Feb 2009
Pretty confusing.So,the one who captured the special ones(I guess they became special because the pillar of light-the explosion of Echoes) is Boogiepop Phantom while the one pretending to be Saotome-kun is Manticore(or a part of it).Ah!Confusing...Question:Was Boogiepop Phantom born from Boogiepop or Manticore?
Urufuzu_reinJun 28, 2010 8:11 AM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jun 28, 2010 7:21 AM
Sep 2009
I'm fairly sure Boogiepop Phantom was born from Boogiepop. Manticore just manifest itself as you see in the anime, though I haven't read the novels...
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jul 16, 2011 4:06 PM

Dec 2009
This was a very entertaining episode... I'm a little confused though
Nov 27, 2011 9:40 AM

Feb 2011
So, the investigator was the same journalist? what happened with the train?
Sep 23, 2012 4:12 AM

Jun 2010
I'm starting to feel like I should have checkout out the novel before watching this.

Movie of the Week
Humanity and Paper Balloons
( Sadao Yamanaka, 1937 )

If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan
club! Thank you (:

Sep 27, 2012 2:34 PM

Aug 2010
jeez, just what am i watching...
Jan 13, 2013 7:26 PM

Jun 2008
I could really use a rundown on the novels and other material. The pieces just aren't all fitting together. In spite of that it was a good episode though.
Aug 21, 2013 10:01 AM

Aug 2012
Piece by piece it's coming together.
Loved this episode.
Dec 24, 2013 10:10 PM

Aug 2010
I am really confused. So did the journalist die at the end of the episode in the train?
Dec 31, 2013 7:17 AM

Aug 2013
The manticore or a bit of him went into that guy on the train at the end, also it's good that episode fills in some blanks but you really got to read the novels because so much that is needed to understand the story is in them.
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Jun 23, 2014 12:47 AM
Jun 2013
Hey taking off his glasses and saying thank you doesint count :p.It seems the manticore went inside that guy before he left and I guess hes free to roam.nice to learn more about this character since she seems important.
Jul 1, 2014 11:38 PM

Jul 2008
Uh oh, looks like the manticore still got the guy. Why don't I think he'll just die in a few days?
Dec 1, 2014 1:03 PM

Dec 2012
I think it's safe to say that my mind is still reeling over how to put this all together, but the gist of it is coming together at least. The idea of the composite humans, each one's name and role, and how Kirima Nagi fits into all of it are making more sense. That random parade at the end was so crazy and that butterfly girl Echo still freaks me out.
Sep 16, 2015 3:02 PM
Jul 2014
It's getting better and better.
Dec 30, 2015 6:14 AM

May 2011
Sincerely didn't expect the existence of a separate Boogiepop entity, which is most likely responsible for the 'capturing' of newly-evolved humans after the mysterious light in episode 4 (which I at first, though was Manticore's doings, and for the previous episode, either Manticore in-disguise or Boogiepop). My personal take on the appearance of the light and the Phantom is to 'clear up the mess' like they all say: the world is just not prepared for a world with superhumans with ignorant, human brains, and Phantom has to sweep them up to prevent disorder, which the mysterious organisation (Towa, was it?) was trying to achieve. A rather basic concept, which is taken into complication by the anime's direction (intended).
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Sep 9, 2016 10:20 AM

Oct 2014
I don't understand anything. what the hell is going on?
Mar 24, 2017 11:47 AM

May 2012
Pretty nice development, I really do wonder what the next episodes will have to offer though!
Jun 12, 2017 1:29 PM
Nov 2015
Hellooo Cyndi!!!
Jun 12, 2017 1:32 PM
Nov 2015
God the stuttering girl in hospital robe is a resident weirdo in a show populated by hentai.
Who is she? Name?
Jun 12, 2017 6:59 PM
Nov 2015
The journalist, what happened to him on the train? I remember a similar train scene some eps back but not sure.
The amusement park is the one the father of the brother-sister last ep built right? And it went bankrupt. And the butterfly girl and the brother's phantom childhood form still go there? WTF? Who are they??
Apr 23, 2018 6:49 PM

Feb 2013
Mostly everything in this episode was explained.
But, still a lot of wtfisgoingon going on...
Nov 17, 2020 10:31 PM

Jan 2016
I feel like this episode was supposed to explain everything that's been going on, but there are still way too many unanswered questions. At least we know the existence of a Boogiepop and a Boogiepop Phantom now. I liked the focus on Nagi though. She's kind of a focal point in a show that is extremely loosely connected.
This is not your grave...
But you are welcome in it :3

Apr 15, 2021 7:42 PM

Aug 2017
The Boogiepop Phantom is much creepier than the original Boogiepop. Did Manticore just possesed Kishida?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 24, 2021 10:26 PM

Mar 2018
Really loved this episode and the way it pieced different events together, making everything feel a little more cohesive.
Aug 25, 2021 8:34 PM
Jan 2016
Cyanice said:
I feel like this episode was supposed to explain everything that's been going on, but there are still way too many unanswered questions. At least we know the existence of a Boogiepop and a Boogiepop Phantom now. I liked the focus on Nagi though. She's kind of a focal point in a show that is extremely loosely connected.

Agreed, this came off as more of an exposition heavy episode to me, although like with some past episodes I think it makes a lot more sense if you've read the original light novel first, or have watched the first 3 episodes of the 2019 adaption that covered said novel. They even flash back to the events from from that in this episode.

The existence of two Boogiepops, the original and Boogiepop Phantom becomes pretty obvious when you've watched the show a few times like I have; the vast majority of their appearances in this show has been Boogiiepop Phantom, regular Boogiepop thus far has only appeared in the first episode and the brief flashback Kishida has early in this episode when he meets butterfly girl/Manaka. The two have different voice actresses portraying them; regular Boogiepop has a more masculine voice in the Japanese version at least, and Boogiepeop Phantom has longer hair, having based her form off of Minako Yurihara rather than Toka Miyashita..

This show doesn't really have a true main character since most episodes are more anthology in nature focusing on a specific character, but Nagi is probably the closest it has to a protagonist. This episode did a good job connecting a lot of her prior appearances throughout the show thus far.
Apr 25, 2022 11:18 PM

Feb 2021
Fucks sake, I can't take any more of this without being here just for the cool sound effects. Moving straight ahead to the lns
Aug 12, 2022 1:36 AM

Jun 2020
That was great. I usually like complex stories but it was slightly difficult to grasp this one, which makes it even better. This episode was amazing, only problem is there wasn't enough psychedelic sound designs and visuals. Other than that, another part of this masterpiece of a series. Great and certainly effective exposition episode.

Oct 16, 2022 10:37 PM

Oct 2020
So the Manticore wasn't "the" Boogiepop after all, it was "Boogiepop Phantom", created by Echoes which is either an evolved human form or an alien, kept by that Towa Organization. Manticore, an man-eater, was born from Echoes, who cast that pillar of light to "disperse" him, creating a magnetic field that made Boogiepop Phantom from Manticore, giving "powers" and "evolving" some people of the city, but I am still unsure if Snake Eyes (Morita) and the Spooky Electric are some of these. Anyways, Phantom has been "freeing" these evolved people and Manticore took Saotome's form, then we continued from there with Nagi against them in a form or another. I think this is the best episode so far and put the pieces of the puzzle together, but I still got to understand the serial killer and the 5 years ago events such as Manaka (the butterfly girl which still appeared in the same year she was born).
Nov 11, 2022 2:10 PM

Jan 2010
Replicants replacing humans, the next stage of human evolution involving telekinetics and psychics, mysterious murders removing unwanted people from society, paranormal activities cause by electromagnetic waves, and now a theory that we're living in a simulation. What an anime.
Dec 8, 2022 12:38 PM

Oct 2022
I think this is the first time I've been truly creeped out by an anime
TheeAnimeGodJun 12, 2023 12:10 AM
Dec 11, 2022 5:06 PM
Jul 2018
Wait... HUH?? There was an original Boogiepop and then there's the Manticore.. and Boogiepop Phantom is Boogiepop with the Manticore's physical appearance. What in the world??? So.. the pillar of light combined the two to create Boogiepop Phantom? What exactly was the original Boogiepop? Where did the Manticore even come from? Who is Echoes? A copy of the Manticore? So the real Manticore is/was.. uh. Yeah, you lost me.

Most confusing episode yet.
Mar 21, 2023 2:18 PM
Feb 2019
WTF is going on???
May 13, 2023 5:28 AM

Mar 2019
Kirima's thoughts . . . [</3]
Jul 9, 2023 4:44 PM
Jan 2016
_Tatyana_ said:
Wait... HUH?? There was an original Boogiepop and then there's the Manticore.. and Boogiepop Phantom is Boogiepop with the Manticore's physical appearance. What in the world??? So.. the pillar of light combined the two to create Boogiepop Phantom? What exactly was the original Boogiepop? Where did the Manticore even come from? Who is Echoes? A copy of the Manticore? So the real Manticore is/was.. uh. Yeah, you lost me.

Boogiepop essentially acts as a second personality for Toka Miyashita (or perhaps is another being inhabitating her body, I recall her mentioning in an earlier episode that she was possessed by a fox spirit).

Echoes is an alien being that was captured by the Towa Organization, from whom they made the Manticore, and eventually other composite humans like Morita/Snake Eyes and Spooky Electric.

Eventually the Manticore escapes and kills a student at Shinyo Academy, Minako Yurihara and takes her form. Masami Saotome comes across her and through his megalomanical intentions and essentially falling in love with her, teams up with her to either kill people or enslave them (see scenes in episode 4).

Echoes also escapes and was encountered by Boogiepop as seen briefly in this episode when Kushida sees the flashback from butterfly girl. Echoes and Nagi confront the Manticore and Saotome; Echoes essentially sacrifices himself to kill the Manticore by creating the pillar of light but Saotome throws her out of the way and dies instead. But then through the efforts of Boogiepop and a couple of students that don't appear at all in Boogiepop Phantom, the Manticore is killed (see brief flashbacks to it in this episode).

The pillar of light created by Echoes caused a lot of chain reactions including various students (such as Jounichi in episode 2 or the brother and sister pair in episode 7) to have special abilities. It also brought back the Manticore, although this time it took the form of Saotome. Finally, it created a second Boogiepop, although this one bases its appearance on Minako Yurihara instead of Toka Miyashita.

Phew, that takes a lot of explaining to do. Most of this can be found in the original light novel or watching episodes 1 - 3 of the 2019 adaption.
Aug 20, 2023 5:28 PM

Sep 2017
Quiddity131 said:
_Tatyana_ said:

Boogiepop essentially acts as a second personality for Toka Miyashita (or perhaps is another being inhabitating her body, I recall her mentioning in an earlier episode that she was possessed by a fox spirit).

Echoes is an alien being that was captured by the Towa Organization, from whom they made the Manticore, and eventually other composite humans like Morita/Snake Eyes and Spooky Electric.

Eventually the Manticore escapes and kills a student at Shinyo Academy, Minako Yurihara and takes her form. Masami Saotome comes across her and through his megalomanical intentions and essentially falling in love with her, teams up with her to either kill people or enslave them (see scenes in episode 4).

Echoes also escapes and was encountered by Boogiepop as seen briefly in this episode when Kushida sees the flashback from butterfly girl. Echoes and Nagi confront the Manticore and Saotome; Echoes essentially sacrifices himself to kill the Manticore by creating the pillar of light but Saotome throws her out of the way and dies instead. But then through the efforts of Boogiepop and a couple of students that don't appear at all in Boogiepop Phantom, the Manticore is killed (see brief flashbacks to it in this episode).

The pillar of light created by Echoes caused a lot of chain reactions including various students (such as Jounichi in episode 2 or the brother and sister pair in episode 7) to have special abilities. It also brought back the Manticore, although this time it took the form of Saotome. Finally, it created a second Boogiepop, although this one bases its appearance on Minako Yurihara instead of Toka Miyashita.

Phew, that takes a lot of explaining to do. Most of this can be found in the original light novel or watching episodes 1 - 3 of the 2019 adaption.

Do you recommend watching the 2019 version after this? I assume it doesn't have the same aesthetic taste to it as the old one, but it's probably easier to understand
خ
Aug 20, 2023 7:59 PM
Jan 2016
Fatephile said:
Quiddity131 said:

Do you recommend watching the 2019 version after this? I assume it doesn't have the same aesthetic taste to it as the old one, but it's probably easier to understand

If you're interested in more Boogiepop I'd recommend either watching the 2019 version as well, or reading the original light novels (of which the 2019 version adapts volumes 1 - 3 and 5 - 6). If anything, I think watching Boogiepop Phantom makes more sense if you've watched the adaptions of the first and sixth light novels first (episodes 1 - 3 and 10 - 13 from the 2019 adaption). Especially the first 3 episodes as Boogiepop Phantom was intended as a sequel to it and things make way more sense if you're familiar with it. Episodes 10 - 13 cover a prequel light novel and helps fill in more stuff relating to Shinpei Kuroda and the doctor lady in particular. Opinions are somewhat mixed on how good the adaption is, the light novels themselves are probably the best route to go. Things don't come off as scary in the 2019 adaption as they do here and I think Boogiepop Phantom is absolutely a better show than the 2019 adaption. Although at the very least the 2019 adaption gives us the great Aoi Yuuki voicing Touka/Boogiepop who is way better than the voice actress handling her here.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.