Forum Settings
Forums
BLAME! Movie Edition: THE ELECTROFISHERS’ ESCAPE
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 19, 2017 5:53 PM

Mar 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Out on Netflix.

Thoughts?
May 19, 2017 5:54 PM

May 2015
It's out already? Thanks for the heads up!
May 19, 2017 6:13 PM
Aug 2014
I thought it was going to follow the manga but I still liked it although, I wish we got to see some more of the silicon guys and more of the crazy stuff that goes on in the manga like just before the entry into Toha Heavy Industries(which i started reading recently (30 chapters in)).The look of the characters was good but the only problem for me was the sluggish frames at times and as well I feel like if I watched this before reading the manga it would only whet my appetite.
hilikusssMay 19, 2017 6:21 PM
May 19, 2017 11:17 PM

Jul 2013
Hmm has someone who hadn't really read the Manga it was fairly fun. It gave me some interesting tidbits about the world and some amazing CGI. You can bet I will most likely end up reading the Manga at some point.
May 20, 2017 12:13 AM

Sep 2011
Good movie. Was fun and never got bored. Whether it was original or not doesn't really matter to me, but to others, what did they change? Was it significant/original ending?
May 20, 2017 1:34 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Wait they released the film on Netflix right away? It didn't air in theaters or what? :o
May 20, 2017 1:46 AM

Mar 2016
HaXXspetten said:
Wait they released the film on Netflix right away? It didn't air in theaters or what? :o

Yep. Netflix helped fund/dub it I think. Regardless of quality it probably wouldn't do so well in theaters anyway.
Tyrel said:
Good movie. Was fun and never got bored. Whether it was original or not doesn't really matter to me, but to others, what did they change? Was it significant/original ending?

A lot was changed in an effort to make the plot more accessible. The ending is brand new and one of the biggest aspects of the plot, Killy being a loner that doesn't spend too much time in one place was obviously changed.
It's sort of like a mashup of the least interesting things from the first four volumes.
May 20, 2017 2:09 AM

Sep 2011
@rvbrick

Ah, I see. So, Zuru is an original character as well, I assume?
May 20, 2017 2:23 AM

May 2010
So they just ran away, what a let down.
May 20, 2017 2:28 AM

Apr 2014
whats with cg anime having low frame rates >>

why is it called 'Blame' ?
May 20, 2017 3:30 AM

Aug 2014
Tyrel said:
@rvbrick

Ah, I see. So, Zuru is an original character as well, I assume?

actually zuru appeared in the manga.

May 20, 2017 3:45 AM

Jul 2007
Tyrel said:

Its basically an expanded and a bit changed version of one of earlier manga arcs. Some character roles are switched around and a bit simplified(ex: Cibo actually talking to Killy before they build up trust, Sanakan being way less complex of a character in the movie than in manga, etc).

The ending is open-ended enough that one could literally transition into most of the manga storyline if Netflix decides to adapt it, since Manga has the whole Mushishi-esque mini-arc structure of Killy wandering through the world on his quest and coming upon various situations and (sometimes) characters.. The only really major thing is Cibo not traveling with him which can be fixed easily anyway.

The way I feel is that this felt more like testing the waters on reception - the ending is open enough and the changes minor enough for it to be a pilot movie and transition into manga the rest story, while at the same time the movie can also work as a standalone.
May 20, 2017 4:09 AM

Sep 2015
Finished watching it. Feels like nothing but a withered husk of the original manga. Moreover, Killy looks and behaves like a lifeless robot-toaster running on MS-DOS, as if his mission isn't to find the genes, but to kill John Connor. Seriously, he's somehow... unnatural? Even more inhuman than Sanakan.
May 20, 2017 5:34 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Even though it's CGI, I still had great expectations for this movie. The manga was really good and I liked how this movie approached the manga content. The movie is anime-original, but it doesn't seem that lacking when compared to the source material. As for the animation quality, I liked it. Sure, 2D animations are better and all, but Polygon is the best CG-animating studio out there... probably. It's a step up from Ajin, so it'll be nice to see how Polygon will improve their animating skills in their next anime.

8/10
May 20, 2017 5:45 AM

Sep 2013
I liked it quite a lot. It's portrayed from the perspective of an "ordinary human" instead of Killy unlike the manga so there are some pretty clear narrative differences. This is not a bad thing in the case of a side story like this film was. Seeing Killy and Cibo being badasses in moving image was definitely worth it.

I very much liked how the story wasn't conclusive - ending the story in the manga's fashion would have been foolish with such a short runtime. This way the manga tells a full story, this movie just a bit of the journey on the way.

8/10

Aelyn said:
Moreover, Killy looks and behaves like a lifeless robot-toaster running on MS-DOS, as if his mission isn't to find the genes, but to kill John Connor. Seriously, he's somehow... unnatural? Even more inhuman than Sanakan.

Did you even read the manga? That's literally how he acts there as well. Anything but would have been a letdown
cupcMay 20, 2017 5:52 AM
May 20, 2017 6:11 AM

Jun 2016
1) Takahiro Sakurai's voice so cool.. i tried imitating him since his line was mostly short
2) I was expecting Mizuki Nana or some King Record artist to sing the ending.. but sadly no :(
May 20, 2017 6:16 AM

Nov 2011
Since I've seen other series based on Nihei's work, this movie did not give me any particular problems during her vision. In fact, I expected something more, given the long time, unfortunately, we do not see much beyond the clashes and a small bracket to explain the situational context. Anyway in the end, it was not wasted time, it made me think. Angela's ending, I liked it.

P.S. The character design of Cibo, is very stylish, I like it!
May 20, 2017 7:20 AM
May 2017
Never read the Manga, but went into this movie with high expectations due to what I knew of the Mangas Artwork without knowing anything else about it. The movie was okay, but nothing that special for me. It didn't really seem to go anywhere. The CGI was weird, while they did a great job rendering the Environments (pretty good job!) I thought the characters looked too heavily CGI with too janky animation on them, kind of similar to Ajin or Berserk. I don't like that style. I hoped the story would explore the world more and move places, but I was surprised when it ended how it did - it felt very sudden. Overall it was watchable, but not the amazing Cyberpunk story I hoped it to be from all the hype. It had enough mystery to make me keep watching but I guess I should try out the Manga instead in order to see the journey going to more places.
May 20, 2017 7:33 AM

Jan 2016
Damn this show is Solid. Best CGI I've ever seen on anime, the only problem is the frames when they are walking otherwise action scene is amazing. I guess I will be reading the manga now. The reason Killy might look emotionless is maybe because HE is not human(duh).
May 20, 2017 7:43 AM

Sep 2015
cupc said:
Did you even read the manga?

No. I posted a random message to annoy someone on the internet.

That's literally how he acts there as well. Anything but would have been a letdown

He doesn't "act" in manga. It's a bunch of still pictures, and the poses/faces depicted on them are way more natural. You can believe that he's a human when you read the manga, but the movie blatantly shows you that there's something extremely different about him, compared to the other humans.

This is Killy, a human. He can even smile sometimes:

(clickable pic)

This is Killster T-800, he still has a long way to learn about human emotions:

autistic_potatoMay 20, 2017 8:02 AM
May 20, 2017 8:57 AM

Jul 2015
Why are the characters rendered at 10 fps? I cannot comprehend why a thinking person would consider that a good idea.
May 20, 2017 9:09 AM

May 2014
Is there an HD option on netflix on tablets/apps? Looks like 480p on my iPad. 720 is watchable for me, but what they have right now is just blocky and blurry.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
May 20, 2017 9:17 AM

Sep 2013

I personally got the impression while originally reading the manga that there is something different about him compared to normal humans. I feel like you are alone with your sentiment
May 20, 2017 9:30 AM

Apr 2015
actually the movie was out yesterday on netflix 19.Mai

May 20, 2017 9:37 AM

Dec 2016
Without knowing anything, this movie looked as:
Art: Upgraded Knights of Sidonia, to be expected from the same studio + authors.
Killy and Cibo had great character designs and were highly detailed, the other characters were mostly only a big step up from KoS

I like the setting of this movie, reminds me quite a lot of the game Metro.
Never got bored while watching.
9/10
May 20, 2017 10:02 AM
Aug 2015
I didn't expect the movie to be that interesting. I enjoyed watching it even if I'm not a great fan of sci-fi. Good CGI, backgrounds, music...
At the end I felt weird. I want a sequel where there will be able solve everything but at the same time I'm satisfied with this ending. :)
May 20, 2017 11:09 AM

Jul 2007
cupc said:

I personally got the impression while originally reading the manga that there is something different about him compared to normal humans. I feel like you are alone with your sentiment

Killie, even in manga is intended to evoke Arnie's Terminator kind of behavior. He shows emotion SOMETIMES but 99% of times he is this stoic, single-face dude who shoots an overpowered gun at things that interfere with his goals.
May 20, 2017 11:48 AM

Jan 2010
Absolutely beautiful. The way Polygon does action scenes and sound design is still top notch. I'm not even a fan of Nihei's works, but Polygon makes them into SF masterpieces.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
May 20, 2017 12:08 PM

Feb 2014
BlueBalls said:
Why are the characters rendered at 10 fps? I cannot comprehend why a thinking person would consider that a good idea.

To match the average frame-rate of hand drawn animation

Anyway, thought this pretty great. Was entertained from start to finish and will probably go read the manga.
May 20, 2017 2:04 PM

Mar 2012
It was great, i liked the setting and plot. I am going to read the manga later.

I wonder why it took them so long to make some form of adaption now when the manga ended over 14 years ago.

CGI is still need of work if they are ever going to be used more frequent in anime but Polygon Studios is definitely the leading studio right now when it comes t CGI animation and it works best in these sci fi type of settings.
May 20, 2017 2:41 PM
Apr 2017
This movie left me with a big hunger. Yes, i want to eat more of that badass Killy guy!
The setting/lore was sooo abundant that i wished there were more explanations.
Storywise, I believe it was pretty well done. Indeed, I got caught in the progress and never felt bored.
CGI was a bit repelling at first but you get used to it imo. The OST was really fitting and good.

With a bit of researchs, I came to know that the manga author also wrote Sidonia no Kishi, that i DIDN'T like at all. It was quite astonishing and strange due to fact that i completely felt in love with Blame lol.

Anyway, great discovery (ty boredom for making me wandering in netflix lol!) and please make another movie of this!
May 20, 2017 3:00 PM

Feb 2009
Yeah, still convinced this cannot be adapted properly. There's just no way to convey the sense of scale and atmosphere that comes through Nihei's art.

Another one to toss into the pile of middling attempts.
May 20, 2017 3:10 PM

Nov 2013
Despite it only covering a small chunk of the overall material, I still enjoyed this immensely. Will be hoping for a sequel movie that will adapt the next chunk of the manga.
Disappear. This chair is an eyesore. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair.
May 20, 2017 3:14 PM

Jan 2015
I guess one can never make a true adaptation of Nihei's style (oh, that tagliatelle hair) and I'm disappointed with Zuru's character - wish they stayed focused on Killy and his goal.

My unpopular opinion - the TAC ona did more favor to the series in terms of visual presentation and overall ambience, with good sound design and almost no human emotion. As Blame should be.
May 20, 2017 4:25 PM

Jun 2015
The situation of the characters at the end of the movie was literally identical to their situation at the start. A bunch of stuff went down, and they are still holed up in a new haven with presumably limited supplies and Killy buggered off to do whatever. I guess they at least have sexy-robo scientist now that which is a bit of a plus. Basically the whole thing felt like an extended prologue to the real story.

Positives I guess were the great action pieces, the CG was nice (though I hate the low framerate character models), the sound effects were absolutely delicious and I could feel a wonderful tingle in my balls every time one of those gravity lasers fired off, the visual world building and atmosphere were phenomenal, and the general concept is tried and true, if a bit clichéd.

The major problem is that the story went nowhere, as I already mentioned, and the amazing world they built just felt like an excuse for the action without much care to developing the characters or story. The setup was awesome for delivering something so much more interesting than just an action flick, but they seemed to have left that for the manga or another adaptation.

6/10
May 20, 2017 4:42 PM

Oct 2011
Loved Sidonia and I loved Blame too
May 20, 2017 5:07 PM

May 2015
To be honest, this was a really enjoyable movie. I've kinda gotten used to Polygon Pictures' CGI after Ajin, so that was fine, really.

9/10.

May 20, 2017 5:10 PM
Dec 2014
forexjammer said:
Damn this show is Solid. Best CGI I've ever seen on anime, the only problem is the frames when they are walking otherwise action scene is amazing. I guess I will be reading the manga now. The reason Killy might look emotionless is maybe because HE is not human(duh).

AnimeFan500 said:
Loved Sidonia and I loved Blame too

I loved the Sidonia feels too!! Great CGI and similar atmosphere as they are all stuck in a "town".

And regarding Killy, I didn't read the manga (so take it just a personal opinion, not a spoil), but just from the fight and few words Killy and Sanakan had, I feel like Killy was an agent of the safeguard like Sanakan currently is (so basically a robot). No clue how he got a free will and escaped the Authority's control though. And don't read the characters page on MAL (I read a bit of Sanakan's), it's full of spoil.

Anyway, this movie really got me interested in reading the manga!!!
May 20, 2017 9:02 PM
May 2017
As someone who has never read the manga or seen the previous Blame! series, I came in without any expectations. This was a fantastic movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I'm not a huge fan of CGI, they did a good job with this and I didn't mind it at all. Great plot, giving a glimpse into the middle of an elaborate story. Very happy I found this movie.
May 20, 2017 9:03 PM

Nov 2014
I'm just at awe with all those flashy, beautiful animations, and let's not forget the sounds, it's totally top notch. As someone had said; the story didn't really go anywhere. After watching it I thought the movie was made to promote the manga.

Not much to say here, maybe just a bit disappointed. I really should stop expecting anything when I'm about to watch something. Solid 7/10

So who did Zuru marry?
May 20, 2017 9:11 PM

Jan 2016
This was just a generic action flick, I expected more. I haven't read the manga but this film doesn't do it many favors. It's world was somewhat interesting but I still feel like I don't know anything about it. I could say more but it would just be pointless bitching. The animation was okay I guess.

5/10
May 20, 2017 10:50 PM

May 2016
The character were all flat as fuck.
May 20, 2017 11:00 PM

Jun 2015
-Abyss_Walker- said:
The character were all flat as fuck.
Ironic in a 3DCG show! ;D
May 21, 2017 12:39 AM
Jan 2017
I know next to nothing about the manga, but the movies makes a pretty good job in explaining things for newcomers. The characters are good, if a bit underdeveloped, and the music is beautiful. Killy comes across as a Batman/Mad Max hybrid, which is a good thing the optimistic and gentle Zuru is there to contrast him, lest the movie becomes too dark and edgy. After all is said and done, this is a good popcorn flick.
May 21, 2017 2:45 AM

Jan 2009
i no nothing about the manga but damn that was a cool movie

Killy the stolen robot being a hero to protect humanity against the defective robots that become evil and wants to destroy every human without the net terminal gene
May 21, 2017 5:21 AM
Oct 2010
Just as I expected from the trailer - I knew that one of those kids going to POV character through which we witness the story.
Overall, movie was pretty good. Fortunately, it is a standalone movie which anyone can watch as it infodumps all the info one needs to know abut the megacity.
May 21, 2017 6:16 AM

Sep 2014
I have not yet read the manga, but this alone was a solid 8/10. Now I will read blame! at some point. I hope this gets popular (alos the collab with netflix and not this nihon-only based way of release that ususally happens)

Ok I just finished the manga and I think the movie is pretty decent. Some things obviously changed but its not like the story is the strong point of blame anyway so I certainly dont miss anything.
Comander-07May 30, 2017 3:30 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 21, 2017 7:20 AM
Mar 2016
I really liked this film, the CG was well made, the history was interesting and I think Killy became one of my favorite cyberpunk protagonists. But I have some doubts, does this film adapt only the first arc of manga? In your opinion which is worth more, Akira or Blame (since I live in Brazil and this two titles are being launched simultaniously).
Oh! And before I forget, sorry for my bad english.
May 21, 2017 10:00 AM

Sep 2012
All the characters, besides Killy, Cibo and the old-man, annoyed the hell out of me. They didn't served any purpose other than do some plot dump and present the plot of the movie. Even so, despite not having any other role in the movie, they got a bunch of unnecessary screen time and had nothing interesting going for them: Zuru? I guess she's cute, and likes Killy for unknown reasons (outsiders must get her excited, idk); Tae is just a dipshit that is there to be the source of drama and trouble, screw her; The dude that's always with the old-man is just a skeptic idiot, screw him (the rest of the fishers are irrelevant, screw them). The writers could've done something with them, right? but no, they're just there and they react to the situation, that's it.
The soundtrack is annoying, trying it's hardest to make everything feels epic, but it fails, the movie would be much better with no soundtrack at all for the most part.
At first I thought the movie was going to adapt the Toha Heavy Industries Arc (based on the trailers and the info and the website), but it wasn't. It was some original plot very similar to that arc, so much that the movie could've easily adapted that arc (with some smaller changes), maybe if the movie didn't spent so much time with a bunch of uninteresting characters that could've worked. The movie also included the Blame! omake from the Sidonia no kishi S2 BD in the ending...? I think it's a bit weird how this oneshot got included in the movie as the ending scene (with some small changes), but it's a cool bit of fan-service... I guess.

The OVAs where much better, at least they got the atmosphere of the series right... and didn't had Tae
May 21, 2017 12:39 PM

Jun 2012
It was meh... Not worth spending money to watch this, so if someone needs a reason to pay a Netflix membership, this movie isn't one. For a movie budget the CGI didn't feel as good as it could have been, the 1:30 min PV was much better and it was a PV.
It focus too much on other characters(annoying cliché ones), I don't know why they did this... The manga was all about a silent MC and it was awesome, but they are still afraid to the same in anime.
In Danmachi spin-off they made the exact same thing.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Where did Blame! 2 go?

MrHoodie - Jan 5, 2020

5 by askilledjerk »»
Jan 26, 2023 5:09 PM

» Which is better dub or sub version of the movie?

Xion69 - May 20, 2017

6 by Mizmimi »»
Feb 22, 2018 1:23 AM

» sequel news, if any, post here

vinnipuh - May 21, 2017

5 by RoryBurrows »»
Feb 13, 2018 4:46 AM

» Things you must know before watching the movie ? ( spoilers )

IsekaiNekko - May 20, 2017

13 by Nothingness39 »»
Jun 2, 2017 2:02 PM

» Things you need to know before watching the movie

vinnipuh - May 31, 2017

0 by vinnipuh »»
May 31, 2017 11:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.