Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Apr 28, 2018 8:32 AM

May 2016
For a light novel adaptation, they surely didn't hold back with the novel part in the anime. It's been a while since I've watched an anime that is this dialogue-heavy. No complaints so far though since I enjoyed it anyway~

Collecting all 12 swords will surely be an adventure to remember. Togame is more of a cute klutz than a strategian but that sword swallowing ninja implies a more cunning side to her. Shinchika really needs to work on his people skills but those reflexive instincts ended up making things a lot easier for him by accident.

The ship has quickly sailed in two ways lol

Apr 29, 2018 12:12 PM

Nov 2016
This show has many elements I'm familiar with,but I've never seen them merged like this. Definitely an unique show.

The dialogues were pretty interesting and amusing. And I'm sure that I will love the character dynamics in this.

Pretty good start overall.
FMmatronApr 29, 2018 12:25 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 24, 2018 9:12 AM

Dec 2016
A very fun and intriguing first episode, I liked pretty much everything about it!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 4, 2019 3:49 PM
Aug 2018
A sword without guard. One attack with a regular sword and his hands and arms would be cut into pieces. Would have been an easy win.

Oh, and the characters talk way too much.
tr25a3Feb 4, 2019 3:53 PM
May 29, 2019 9:51 AM

Sep 2018
Really unique char designs and art- to say the least. Not much action this ep hope it picks up later...I for one didn't mind the dialogue tho it'd be a bit better if they talked less during the actual fighting.
Sep 15, 2019 12:45 PM

Apr 2019
I thought I had no super powers in the anime, but I still really enjoyed this first episode, I hope not to be disappointed with the journey of these two
Sep 15, 2019 12:46 PM

Apr 2019
A while ago I gave up on seeing this anime because of its desing, even though it's simple it's good, the art is pretty and the animation is good
Oct 4, 2019 1:05 PM

Jan 2018
Out of all the character designs I've ever seen, these are hands-down my favorite.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 15, 2019 11:57 PM
Nov 2017
Idk, the story looks very interesting indeed, but the lack of action and too much talking is just kinda tune off for me.
I just wish to see some progress later on.
Nov 24, 2019 9:26 PM

Aug 2017
omg the author of Monogatari series made this show, that explain why they talk so much lol.

Comedy is hilarious, characters are fun to watch and the battles are amazing. Definitely i'm going to enjoy this. Maybe my only issue is the romance stuff but nevermind. Also, I like they made this double length.

NurguburuNov 24, 2019 9:35 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 15, 2019 9:01 AM

Aug 2015
The sister was left all alone on an abandoned island. My heart hurts.
...At least let me finish.

Jan 22, 2020 12:07 AM

Feb 2018
I really like the art style here, Togame is a cutie.

I find the premise really interesting, also Shichika's fighting style.

This has Nisio Isin's style all over it, and I love it. Even though I'm only one episode in, I feel the characters, humor, and dialogue are on point. I thought it was funny how Togame told Shichika he must fall in love with her and he was just like, "Okay, I'm in love with you", even though he has no idea what that means. His naivety is pretty endearing. Maybe I'm just weird...

Reading some of the other comments it seems like many are not familiar with Nisio Isin's style of storytelling. Dialogue is the name of the game here. It's fine if you don't like that, but it is a great, albeit different, style of storytelling that not everyone will vibe with. It's not my favorite, but it works very well for Isin and if you do like it, check out the Monogatari series.
May 31, 2020 7:17 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really clever how they made 12 long episodes for the 12 swords
Jun 30, 2020 7:11 PM

Apr 2014
I suppose its to be expected but you can certainly tell this was written by the same person as the Monogatari series. Anyway this is set in feudal Japan, right? How does Togame know what an elephant is? How does she know the word "Hades"? Anachronisms aside this was enjoyable though, and I look forward to watching the rest of it. 50 minute episodes are kinda exhausting though.
Jul 2, 2020 1:28 AM

Jul 2019
Good art and premise but holy shit continuous talking for 50 minutes with no stop is grating
Jul 25, 2020 4:53 PM

Mar 2020
damn my boy a simp in the making
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Aug 12, 2020 3:27 PM

Jan 2014
I love the art! And the comedy, wasn’t expecting to laugh so many times.

I’m curious about the sister, hope we revisit her. also I really want to see togame in action lol. She’s supposedly a brilliant strategist but she seems so clumsy/useless rn lmao, like her big plan was to have him fall in love with her? What if that didn’t work lol
Sep 9, 2020 1:33 AM

Sep 2018
Togame is a strategist but she's dumb though haha Shichika is simpleton xD

He's guilty with the death of Togame's father so he go along with her? But why need to leave her sister alone? I feel sad for her.
Sep 12, 2020 6:40 PM

Jul 2013
I can't believe this show is 10 years old. I really enjoyed this first episode. From the first couple minutes I knew this would be something I would like a lot. The art, the animation, the music in the background, the characters, the humor and just overall the whole atmosphere feels very nice.

I also guess Shichika feels guilty for the death of Togames dad, but at least now he has a reason to leave the island after 20 years of just training and learning. It's just sad for his sister. Hopefully she will be okay.

12 episodes for 12 swords? Pretty clever I would say. Can't wait to see more of the story and how the relationship between Shichika and Togame will develop. :)

Nov 24, 2020 10:42 PM

Jan 2019
I was not expecting 50 minutes. It felt like forever
Nov 28, 2020 7:27 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
I have had this anime on my To Watch list for years....and now I am so glad that I came around to watching it. The Monogatari style of dialogue and art is refreshing and so entertaining. I don't mind the long dialogues at all.... in fact it is a trip down memory lane with reference to the Monogatari series.
Dec 6, 2020 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
Why don't they show what the characters are tallking about instead of just showing them talk, especially when it's allmost only dialogue, this was so fucking boring.
Jan 20, 2021 7:29 AM
Oct 2019
OK episode lots of dialogue but still seems interesting
May 1, 2021 11:09 PM

Jun 2010
The character designs and more simplistic art style are what drew me into trying this series, so I'm hoping to see more of it in the future. Episode one had enough on that front to intrigue but not sell me because rather than showing off the character models, the camera focus kept defaulting to closeups of faces. It just wasn't very interesting visually, particularly when combo'd with the long sequences of unnatural dialogue. My impression is that I was listening to a bunch of good voice actors reading off a series of individual conversations from a book they liked rather than watching an actual adaptation of that book to screen. I enjoy novels and audiobooks, but the question I kept asking myself is why they went for these simplified designs when they don't seem inclined to use them and why this had to be an anime in the first place.

But a story about a collecting swords with a cute art style and some historical fantasy vibes sounds fun enough to keep on with for at least a while, and I'm interested in seeing how the series will play with 50 minute episodes for its entire run, so I'll continue on.
Aug 1, 2021 7:05 AM

Dec 2018
that was absolutely great
Sep 6, 2021 11:46 AM

Feb 2020
I was really unsure about starting a series made of 12 extra long episodes, but this first one went by pretty fast.
At first it was pretty confusing due to the amount of dialogues (and I'm saying that as someone who can handle Monogatari's dialogues relatively easily),but I got used to it after a while.
About the story, it's intriguing, I can't say I'm completely engaged yet but I'm curious to see what it will lead to.
About the characters, I really like Togame who seems to be a pretty unique character. Shichika annoyed me at first due to how dense this guy is, but it is understable considering his story and while not remarkable, it makes him pretty interesting to follow. His sister reminds me a bit too much of too many imouto characters but I'm willing to give her a chance. About the ninja, I found that a bit of a shame that he's been treated as a joke because I like his ability, however Shichika beating him without even realizing who that was made me laugh. I just hope we'll get to see the other ninjas, I'm interested in their story.
And of course, the art is very good, I love the character designs.

So overall, I didn't fall in love with this episode and it's gonna take a bit of time for the show to truly grow on me but I already like it, I'm interested to see how everything will unravel.
Apr 8, 2022 2:37 AM

Aug 2020
I thought they did a pretty good job of adapting the whole novel in only 50 minutes, although they did change up the order of the prologue a little bit. I have to say I thought the art would be a bit better though, maybe a bit more stylised. I think Science Saru could have done a bit better in that regard, as well as the ost. After all, Heike Monogatari turned out really good and has a style I would have really liked to see Katanagatari in. That aside, I did like what they did with the Shichika Hachiretsu. I pictured it being more like Kenshin's Kuzu-ryu-sen but I liked the emphasis they placed on each separate attack. I was a bit jarred at them having different translation for the sword names, and the fact that they basically spoiled Ento the Bead was a bit strange.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Jul 15, 2022 1:41 PM

Jan 2021
This must've been incredibly easy to animate, just pose the characters sitting or standing and then animate nothing but their mouths for the next 10 minutes because all they do is talk. Guess the director/writer never heard of "show, don't tell". It felt like I read through half a novel with all those subtitles and I still don't know what exactly is going on with all the name drops of characters I don't know. To be honest I thought this sucked but it's well rated so maybe now that all the exposition dump is over it'll get better.
Jul 26, 2022 2:22 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Well this first episode slaps. I hope the rest go just as hard.

As expected, it is dialogue-heavy, but for me personally I found it engaging throughout unlike the monogatari series which honestly did have me zoning out from time to time. Still, it looks like each of these 50-minute episodes will be packed, so it's not going to be a binge-watch for me. Perhaps one or two episodes a day for this one.

From first impressions, I think this will be an 8/10 anime for me.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 12, 2022 10:47 PM
Mar 2021
Shit was long but I absolutely loved the storyline :)
Aug 13, 2022 8:31 PM

Apr 2016
I tried to watch this but having the actors basically do an audiobook with barely anything happening on the screen was tedious but the part when the white haired girl asked questions she assumed the guy should know the answers but doesn't so she can get shocked after starting rambling was soooo bad because its timing was nonexistent like a poorly adapted scene from a book without actually trying to adapt it.

Had to fast-forward until the action started and  well that was underwhelming, might not even count that I watched this.
Aug 22, 2022 8:21 AM
Aug 2018
un entretenido comienzo cargado con una pelea y trasfondo de la historia.
Jun 13, 2023 1:35 AM
Feb 2023
Only just started watching this show (currently on episode 2) but am loving it so far. I don't mind the fact that it's very heavy on the dialog because the writing and characters are so good (if the writing was bad then the dialog would be a real pain).

Also love the art style.

And a double bonus - each episode is 47 minutes long so even though there are 12 of them we are effectively getting 24 normal length episodes, so no complaints from me.
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Jun 2020
I actually liked this a lot, Monogatari writing but mostly without that weird pervy shit from monogatari. I like that it’s 47 minutes long like a lot of Western TV.

The character designs and artstyle are very pleasing to look at.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bautrey37 - May 23, 2010

163 by Aldones »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.