Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 26, 2021 8:56 PM

Mar 2018
I originally dropped the 2019 Boogipop after the 3rd episode as it felt very mundane and lacking in direction or impact. I'm glad that I gave the original a chance as this did a much better job at pulling me into the show and keeping me pulled in.

The sound, the visual cuts, the eerie, uncomforting, and at times emotional moments, it all came together pretty nicely to offer a very unique anime.

I'd be lying to myself if I said there weren't weak points within the series but the show would recoup fairly nicely after such weak points which helped keep me reeled in.

For anyone looking for more outside of Lain, this would probably be my first recommendation due to it's uncanny similarities as far as art direction and atmospheres go.

8/10
Sep 2, 2021 7:14 AM
Mar 2017
Okay I have now finished watching it,

My thoughts are still a bit unclear ut overall I think it was worth watching since the concept and the enigmatic air it's emitting are quite intriguing and it's portayal of various mental states amongst young adult teenagers which I myself can in some way sboth understand and relalte to because I am 17 years old currently. Even though I still am very confused about Saotome's connection to Echoes. I guess I have to read the lightnovel.

Anyways, overall it gets a 7.5/10 for me. A more than decent anime to dive into.
Nov 12, 2021 4:41 PM

Jun 2010
Spooky Stories for Teens
Aug 12, 2022 6:28 AM

Jun 2020
You know what, this show is a fucking masterpiece. But to be honest, I had hoped this ending would be sad or at least not happy. Happy endings are boring. It also feels like they kind of rushed to the ending. Well, anyways, the 11 eps before this were fucking masterpieces so.

9.7/10.

Nov 11, 2022 10:08 PM

Jan 2010
Knowing nothing about the atmosphere around Boogiepop Phantom's original 1998 publication and subsequent 2000 adaptation, the series feels like a spillover from late 90s media and literature anxious about the present and future. In the US, this time was unique due to relative economic stability, leading to filmmakers creating titles reflecting that period of monotony. There was a lot of fears about what the future would hold, uncertainty as to what the new century would bring, and discontent regarding the lack of happenstance, albeit specifically for the typical middle class, middle-aged man. As such, there were a bunch of films such as Office Space, The Matrix, and Fight Club that provided introspection regarding that mentality, outlets for pent up frustrations, or general outbursts of fury over the perceived stagnation.

In Japan, from my understanding, the 90s was a period of stagnation in its own right, where Japan's economic bubble collapsed after peaking in the 80s. With Boogiepop Phantom, I've definitely felt an underlying anxiety despite the façade of the status quo in the overarching world. Feelings of boredom and disinterest in life has been brought up many times throughout the show, and it's through drugs, violence, sex, obsessions, and escapism that the anime's various characters have found ways to break away from their lives. That being said, certain characters suffering from abuse or trauma used those same methods to break away from their lives, often harming others and themselves in the process.

There's a thirst for change, if just to break away from getting railroaded into becoming a boring adult. Many characters feel stressed and trapped, as if their lives were predetermined by their parents or peers. They feel ridiculed for not being enthusiastic nor diligent in their studies, and are pressured to become successful for the sake of others. They may have also been abused emotionally or physically, driving a sense of fear to connect with others. At the same time, they're surrounded by friends and schoolmates who couldn't care less, and without any means to alter their present, instead seek to escape via the easiest, most convenient ways possible.

How are these students supposed to work towards a future they can't even see? How are they supposed to overcome the traumas of the past when the present doesn't seem to indicate any possibility for change? How can they take matters into their own hands when they don't have anyone to turn to, much less the means and resources to do so?

From my perspective, Boogiepop Phantom is written with the societal culture of Japan's late 90s in mind. It's atmosphere is very specific to that time, and it feels like a cry for help, or at least some kind of jolt to give hope for change, even if it's for the worse since at least something would happen. There's this sense of apathy, where characters question why they're alive if they're just going to die eventually. There's also a sense of despair and regret, where characters feel like they have to sacrifice dreams, ambitions, and personal freedom just to grow up. As such, they feel excited whenever anything different happens, ranging from mysterious murders, to global conspiracies, to threats of paranormal walking specter of Death.

Even if they weren't real, just the thought of them is enough to break the daily monotony. Imagine the thrill of knowing that a serial murderer stalks the streets, who is capable of transforming their shape and form. Or, think of the anticipation of human evolution, resulting in the select few to lead the pathway to the future, and all you have to do is wait around until your genes kick in. Alternatively, what if there were a wandering supernatural entity that could whisk you away to another plane of existence, far away from the endless suffering of daily life?

As a new-age form of horror, imagine the Manticore, or personification of anxiety and regret, existing through electronic waves and the internet, and there were no way to permanently kill it so long as such thoughts existed in modern human society? It would continue haunting and killing, hanging over people like an invisible devil over the shoulder. How do you kill a thought? Or, rather, how do you address the source of those thoughts: the continued existence and proliferation of modern society?

Then again, the ending of the 2000 Boogiepop Phantom anime treats this as more of a personal obstacle, which eventually fades if a person can successfully transition into adulthood. For the generation that grew up during the late 90s, their experiences differ greatly from their parents who lived through Japan's economic growth period, so it makes sense that they'd grow up into different people. At least, assuming they weren't living in a contained environment. It doesn't guarantee that they'll face dead-end lifestyles like the adults they grew up around, but for better or worse, their mentality will be different.

Holy crap, Boogiepop Phantom is a hell of an anime. It reminds me of a cross between Serial Experiments Lain and Welcome to the NHK, oddly enough. Boogiepop Phantom is a story about Japan's evolving-yet-stagnating, but it's also about the lives and struggles of people wading through personal uncertainties, anxieties, and trauma while attempting to survive an onslaught of temptations, conspiracy holes, and self-destruction amidst periods of extreme vulnerability. Goodness gracious.
Dec 11, 2022 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
Wait... what?? Boogiepop was a student or did I miss something. I don't know what to make of the ending. It's heavily detached from previous episodes.

Nagi was built up to be a major player of the world and was suddenly cast aside with no following significance.

Is the Angel of Death seriously just a student? I missed the Phantom version with the androgynous face and voice. Seemed more mysterious and otherworldly.

Should probably read the source material and hope it fills in all of the blanks. Currently feel like I wasted time on this show...
Dec 21, 2022 8:17 AM
Jan 2014
This is one of those animes I regret watching, because it completely wasted my time and I did not enjoy it one bit. I just forced myself to finish it. 6/10 for the art direction, -20,000/10 for the story. Stupid anime.
Jan 5, 2023 11:10 PM
Mar 2017
Finally watched and finished, love anime like this. wait who's the blonde girl in the cover? always wondered this

also one of the most chill OPs i ever heard
Jan 9, 2023 8:15 PM

Jan 2020
Given the score and the comparisons to Lain I thought it was going to be some sort of Lain 2. Gladly it wasn't.
The series was pretty interesting overall, pretty disturbing and what I'd expect from a good psychological.
8.25/10

Something unrelated but "R+ - Mild nudity"?! I saw no nudity whatsoever, at least not explicit one.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 22, 2023 1:41 PM
Feb 2019
something is wasted and this final is so weak
Jun 11, 2023 3:31 AM
Nov 2018
Highly recommend to anyone who was still unsure about it,to re-watch the series down the line, everything fits together so much better on your second viewing.

The student who is possessed by Boogiepop and the fake/parasite Boogiepop being 3 different people went over my head the first time I watched it.
Jul 13, 2023 8:55 PM
Jan 2016
_Tatyana_ said:
Wait... what?? Boogiepop was a student or did I miss something. I don't know what to make of the ending. It's heavily detached from previous episodes.

Nagi was built up to be a major player of the world and was suddenly cast aside with no following significance.

Is the Angel of Death seriously just a student? I missed the Phantom version with the androgynous face and voice. Seemed more mysterious and otherworldly.

Should probably read the source material and hope it fills in all of the blanks. Currently feel like I wasted time on this show...

Boogiepop is another personality of Toka Miyashita, spurned on by when she witnessed Shinpei Kuroda's murder as a kid.

As for Nagi being a major player of the world, she was never that, she's a student like Toka or Suema. She was going to be one of the "evolved" student characters but Kuroda injected her with a drug five years ago as shown in this episode which kept her normal. She's certainly a cool character, but she's not the main character, the show doesn't really have a main character at all.

I felt the opposite regarding Boogiepop Phantom being androgynous, although this is highly dependent on the version you watch, dubbed or subbed. It's Boogiepop who is androgynous, although it occupies Toka's body (a girl). This is the intent from the original light novel and the voice actress makes Boogiepop sound a lot more masculine than Toka. At least in the original Japanese version. For whatever reason in the dub the English voice actress doesn't do that and Boogiepop just sounds like a more serious Toka. Phantom on the other hand is a female and has a more obviously sounding female voice, although they do add a weird effect to it in the dub to make it sound stranger than normal.
Aug 10, 2023 2:57 PM

Aug 2020
Mmm okay? The pacing was odd, and the exposition hard to parse but all in all it was a good series. I might read the LN to figure some things better.

Aug 23, 2023 2:41 PM

Sep 2017
I had 2 episode 12s instead of 11 and 12. Damn
Hm like I said, I didn't even know these characters.

Well, it was a...anime. It was interesting but the non-linear story telling and unfamiliar faces just made it plain incomprehensible. I couldn't even make out a massage out of it
I'll give it a 7. I was hoping to relive Lain but I was just being too wishful
خ
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.