Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2010 11:40 AM

Jun 2009
I just wasted 24 minutes of my life. I hope next 11 episodes would be closer to manga.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 7, 2010 11:40 AM

May 2008
Chenoan said:
I haven't read the manga, so I'll judge it without the manga fangirl/fanboy element.

What in the...?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 7, 2010 11:42 AM

Oct 2007
Personally I found the first episode rather low quality.

I can understand somewhat why they've chosen to do it like this. They didn't want to throw their watcher in a story about vampires without first giving them an idea what they are which might be good in attracting non vampire fans to the series. Personally I don't think it was necessary I highly doubt any anime watching person is completely unaware of what vampires are.

I think they could have done a lot better here and I surely hope they stick more to the manga from now on.

and really what the fuck is up with that first lowly vampire... seriously a chameleon? Really horribly lame.

Well lets see what episode two brings.
Jan 7, 2010 12:04 PM

May 2008
I had high expectations towards the anime, but the first episode was a complete disappointment for me. Still I don't want to drop it, something good might eventually turn out from this.
Jan 7, 2010 12:15 PM

Aug 2009
Mathes said:
reminds me of Vampire Knight quite a bit

How exactly? I couldn't even make that connection
Toragono said:

She's so awesome :P

Lelouch has competition. That was nearly the exact same way he introduced himself in episode 1 :P

I guess it's a good thing I'm planning on reading the manga after the series finishes as I thought it was very well-done and somewhat realistic (Well at least until the gecko vampire part). And yes, Mina is very awesome.
Jan 7, 2010 12:17 PM
Jul 2009
a let down.
Jan 7, 2010 12:17 PM

Jul 2008
I find it interesting to watch this from Romania(not that it makes much difference)...until now I believe this is the only anime that uses the actual names ...Mina(well..only in the book maybe),Tepes,Vlad... I didn't read the manga but I liked this ep...this anime has potential
Jan 7, 2010 12:26 PM

Sep 2009
Saito said:
Personally I found the first episode rather low quality.

Both the actual episode and the video's quality was pretty ruddy. I try not to rag on sub crews, but the quality on this was downright shitty. :L
CurseDestiny said:
Lvhina said:
even though it does not closely follow the manga (in which case what anime does now a days ) it is still better thna the moeblob k-on ripoff of So・Ra・No・Wo・To

I support this statment.
On a side note

she got way to much bounce there

Yeah, I wtf'd at that the most. There were more bounce in those titties than in a Dead or Alive game, which is saying something. Her jugs practically revolved in place when she stood.

And I wish I thought of what Seeker said about muxing the subtitles from SFW's sub onto the raw. :L I would've at least been able to watch the boring episode in better quality, without the thick layer of fuzz that SFW managed to smear all it.
Jan 7, 2010 12:34 PM

Aug 2008
Quite interesting episode. I expected dull loli fanservice so i'm happy we've got something more serious.
Jan 7, 2010 12:38 PM

Mar 2008
It was better than I expected it to be. The first half was a pretty innovative and very realistic parody of boring trash shows. It amused me.
The vampire revelation plot was a bit ridiculous, though. The lizzard, too.
But it was done more or less cool. The art is rather un-shaft-ish. Really good actually. Obviously the raw wasn't good, but in HD I expect this to be really impressive.

I don't have really high hopes for this show, but the first episode was not bad at all.
But then again it's SHAFT - they have a history of great anime adaptions.

Obviously I haven't read the manga, but reading all that hate for this first episode, it might be better that way.

Ximinez said:
Quite interesting episode. I expected dull loli fanservice so i'm happy we've got something more serious.

Exactly my thoughts.
Jan 7, 2010 12:46 PM

Jul 2008
so first off, pretty much filler the first ep, and only 12? not the best of starts so hopefully it will get better
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jan 7, 2010 12:49 PM

Jan 2009
Vampires are cool, period. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Oh, my comments about the episode? Right, I'm having high hopes for this one ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 7, 2010 12:57 PM

Oct 2009
Quite not what I was expecting and I'm actually okay with this anime so far.
Well, the story looks a bin unusual and weird, that gecko guy.. Uhh, I mean vampire guy made me laugh for a bit, but still it's great. Just one thing, seems like those vampires are not really the blood-sucking type, so I can just hope that this doesn't turn out like a certain movie saga.
Jan 7, 2010 1:04 PM

Dec 2008
argilium said:
i knew SHAFT is going to pull off something like this.. i'd say i was amazed by this episode.. so much so, that i'll be rating the show a 10 for a now..

they started out with a tv show dealing about whether vampires are true or not.. i like their arguments here and it was all kinda realistic.. then, while more and more people agree that vampire's existence is false, those that i think are the main chars butted in and when they showed an artifact which is a vampire's hand, one of the guests, who is an actor from a popular vampire movie from their world, snatched it and revealed himself to be a real vampire.. the audiences and other guests panicked at the sight of what they were all claiming to be false, the very existence of vampires, was actually true.. then, Mina defeated the vampire that attacked everyone and announced in television that she is the ruler of all vampires and that she established a vampire bund at the piece of land she was pointing at..

i'm amazed at how SHAFT pulled this off.. i've never seen an introduction like this even though i have watched a lot of stuff already.. i've read the first chapter of the manga after watching this and while it's also very good, i've seen those kind of intros before, not to mention i was bit bothered at mina tepes' nudist tendencies.. that would be a bit hard to show on television..

manga readers, i know most of you are not delighted because they did not do a faithful adaptation.. but if i were in your shoes, i could be a bit happier instead coz they made an adaptation that tells the story in a different perspective.. that's like a new material.. haha.. it seems i'm applying what i've learned from Seitokai no Ichizon's ep 1, "Understanding the differences in media."..

i just hope they don't mess it around now too much and perhaps give the proper introduction in ep2.. by the way this is going, we might have a 2nd season since there would be only 12 episodes.. but it's ok.. the manga is ongoing, too, anyway..

Well, after watching the first episode and reading this comment; I just HAD to log in and reply.

Simply put, I'd have to disagree with you. Right now, I would probably give it a 5 or under. This isn't necessarily because it strays away from the manga, but I think it's just been very poorly done.

To begin, they start off with reported incidents and a debate about vampires on a talk show. I don't know if it was planned, but to me, it just came off as corny. Also, not just the narrator, but almost every character came off as corny and annoying. Specifically, the narrator of the incidents at the beginning is just epic lame.

As for the soundtrack, it doesn't really help at all. Music was playing through the whole episode and didn't really enhance it at all. Even at the end with Mina and her speech, the music just "crapped on the cake".

And well yea, that's all I gotta say for now. Just my opinions though. Was really looking forward to this and was utterly disapointed in almost every possible way.
Jan 7, 2010 1:06 PM

Jun 2008
Mina is hot so I will keep watching.

I guess I should check out the manga too.
Jan 7, 2010 1:08 PM

Mar 2008
Just WTF has science done ? A chameleon vampire ? 0_o
Quite far from my Type-Moon based standards. I was shocked. Pretty annoying to start with a boring tv show, but the last part was interesting. The ending saved the episode anyway :)
Jan 7, 2010 1:13 PM

Oct 2009
CurseDestiny said:
Lvhina said:
even though it does not closely follow the manga (in which case what anime does now a days ) it is still better thna the moeblob k-on ripoff of So・Ra・No・Wo・To

I support this statment.
On a side note

she got way to much bounce there

Breasts! Oh well Mina's are still more delicious. :D

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Jan 7, 2010 1:20 PM

Nov 2008
tomin said:
Just one thing, seems like those vampires are not really the blood-sucking type, so I can just hope that this doesn't turn out like a certain movie saga.
Pssh, everyone knows real vampires SPARKLE.

mnananana.
akuma2002 said:
Quite far from my Type-Moon based standards.
TM where?
Jan 7, 2010 1:21 PM

Sep 2007
I expected a random vampire Anime that'd disappoint me because I don't like vampire-stories. The only reason I watched this is because I'm a Shaft-fanboy and what can I say... Shaft has once again managed to make something that does not interest me interesting. I think I loved every second of this episode... minus the few seconds "Dead or Alive"-bounciness.
Jan 7, 2010 1:34 PM
Aug 2009
/\
l
HAHAHA! That made my day. :)

I liked the episode. It gave me the it could go either way feeling. Ya know Great or Fucked up. Hard to tell on the first episode, especially this one.

ahumanJan 7, 2010 1:37 PM
Jan 7, 2010 2:01 PM

Jun 2007
That was.... a weird start :/

Jan 7, 2010 2:03 PM

Jun 2009
This was a great 1st episode! I hope Shaft keeps it up for the rest of the series.
Jan 7, 2010 2:06 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Tonylikespie said:
argilium said:
i knew SHAFT is going to pull off something like this.. i'd say i was amazed by this episode.. so much so, that i'll be rating the show a 10 for a now..

they started out with a tv show dealing about whether vampires are true or not.. i like their arguments here and it was all kinda realistic.. then, while more and more people agree that vampire's existence is false, those that i think are the main chars butted in and when they showed an artifact which is a vampire's hand, one of the guests, who is an actor from a popular vampire movie from their world, snatched it and revealed himself to be a real vampire.. the audiences and other guests panicked at the sight of what they were all claiming to be false, the very existence of vampires, was actually true.. then, Mina defeated the vampire that attacked everyone and announced in television that she is the ruler of all vampires and that she established a vampire bund at the piece of land she was pointing at..

i'm amazed at how SHAFT pulled this off.. i've never seen an introduction like this even though i have watched a lot of stuff already.. i've read the first chapter of the manga after watching this and while it's also very good, i've seen those kind of intros before, not to mention i was bit bothered at mina tepes' nudist tendencies.. that would be a bit hard to show on television..

manga readers, i know most of you are not delighted because they did not do a faithful adaptation.. but if i were in your shoes, i could be a bit happier instead coz they made an adaptation that tells the story in a different perspective.. that's like a new material.. haha.. it seems i'm applying what i've learned from Seitokai no Ichizon's ep 1, "Understanding the differences in media."..

i just hope they don't mess it around now too much and perhaps give the proper introduction in ep2.. by the way this is going, we might have a 2nd season since there would be only 12 episodes.. but it's ok.. the manga is ongoing, too, anyway..

Well, after watching the first episode and reading this comment; I just HAD to log in and reply.

Simply put, I'd have to disagree with you. Right now, I would probably give it a 5 or under. This isn't necessarily because it strays away from the manga, but I think it's just been very poorly done.

To begin, they start off with reported incidents and a debate about vampires on a talk show. I don't know if it was planned, but to me, it just came off as corny. Also, not just the narrator, but almost every character came off as corny and annoying. Specifically, the narrator of the incidents at the beginning is just epic lame.

As for the soundtrack, it doesn't really help at all. Music was playing through the whole episode and didn't really enhance it at all. Even at the end with Mina and her speech, the music just "crapped on the cake".

And well yea, that's all I gotta say for now. Just my opinions though. Was really looking forward to this and was utterly disapointed in almost every possible way.

I read the manga too and I have to say that the first episode is bad at all. Sure, it's different from the manga, but I think that was mostly SHAFT-styled parody. People need to to stop being so cynical about every anime series out there. From the many anime series I have seen, this first episode is far from being bad.

As for"corny" characters, if you didn't notice that it was done purposely, then you should really watch more anime. And also, vampires are corny. I'm sorry, but vampires are supposed to be sensual creatures. As for the humans, I thought it was really a parody of a Japanese game show, if you've never watched one.

desolato said:
tomin said:
Just one thing, seems like those vampires are not really the blood-sucking type, so I can just hope that this doesn't turn out like a certain movie saga.

Rest assured, the vampires here are like a mixture of vampires from Anne Rice and Blade. No sparkling vampires from Twilight.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 7, 2010 2:15 PM

Feb 2008
Worst episode of them all, why are they starting like this? Do you believe in vampire? Everyone voted for false lol and in the program there it always been vampires.

Mina was happy about seeing Akira in TV but he said he don't believe in vampire, and Mina cried.
Hmm... Indeed the worst .xD

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 7, 2010 2:16 PM

Apr 2009
I think this was somehow original but not a very effective start. Let me elaborate this.

This episode is almost wholly played through the cameras of the tv show: music, direction, zoom ins and zoom outs... Are all realistic because japanese popular television is JUST like that: corny. So, about people who complained about music, blurred frames, etc... That was on purpose. Was it effective toward the show? I don't know. But it's not lack of skill or taste: it is to introduce the topic just ad if you were a common japanese person relaxing during an evening show.

This episode surely made me want to watch the next one.

edit: partly ninja'd :(
Jan 7, 2010 2:18 PM

Sep 2007
An odd start but it is what SHAFT does.
Jan 7, 2010 2:22 PM

Apr 2008
If this weren't a 12 episode show MAYBE I would rate this episode higher. However the entire set up with the gameshow and even the lame vampire made this episode a freakin waste of time. I can only hope this trend will not carry on in the next episodes.
right now 3/5
francismeunier said:
zaockle said:
basically, this retcons chap 4 from the manga, because by these events happening, she doesnt really have to do what she does in the manga. basically, i knew shaft was going to do this, along with seeing how they changed the art style so much, so im a little disappointed, but probably will still follow
So they start from Chapter 4? That's not good for non manga readers of this. So I take it the manga beginning is better?

To put it mildly, YES
KaiserpingvinJan 11, 2010 4:15 AM
Jan 7, 2010 2:27 PM

May 2008
I know that people are trying to see the good in the episode for being novel and whatnot.
But I have to still say I found the first chapter of the manga was far far better.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 7, 2010 2:28 PM

Oct 2009
Boring and unimpressive. Mina was preety cute during "the gameshow" though. They'd better get to the naked not-loli action next week, or someone's gonna get shafted.
Jan 7, 2010 2:42 PM
Nov 2008
I haven't read the manga , but first episode was funny as hell. Now hope it will follow manga from here onward,and don't worry people,if the manga is ongoing season 2 is a definite....since 12 episodes is short.
Jan 7, 2010 2:49 PM

Mar 2008
I'm not sure what I just watched. Here's to hoping it gets better.
Jan 7, 2010 2:51 PM
Oct 2007
I seriously thought I was watching the wrong show. The manga started off with a much faster and more intense pace that grabbed attention immediately, but the manga also focused on everything being from Akira's perspective. SHAFT seems to be taking the vampire ordeal from Mina's and possibly a larger perspective. I'm not sure how well that will go because Mina's plans and struggles are suppose to be a mystery and later discovered and understood by Akira, making their romance and the overall vampire nation fiasco more emotional and unique. But I'm glad all the main characters are introduced this episode and the voices were great and the last 5 minutes or so got the plot going good. I hope the 2nd episode won't deviate too much, because if it does, then we'll know for sure SHAFT won't be following the manga, which has a pretty high probability since it's freaking only 12 episodes.
Jan 7, 2010 2:53 PM

Dec 2007
i bet this is a episode 00 that shaft throw to us to troll us haha

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Jan 7, 2010 2:58 PM

Nov 2008
Great episode! Hope it gets better.
Jan 7, 2010 3:04 PM
Dec 2008
The TVshow thingy was cool for a while, but after that it became pretty boring. The whole OMG Vampires are real revelation was far from cool, but still, I'll give it a chance because I do like the manga a lot.

Needs moar Akira though.
Jan 7, 2010 3:04 PM

Jun 2007
This was a great ROFL material for me. I never really was into the whole vampire stuff, so I was quite reluctant to try this series. But geez, Shaft, you amaze me. I didn't like the end at all, with blood and exploding stuff and whatnot, but I absolutely loved the whole cheap TV show section, it was marvelously executed. And on another note, my gosh, for the life of me I can't help but lol at the idea that that's how Japanese (and a hell lot of others) stereotype Romanians, as complete lunatics outside of time who desperately believe in vampires. Well done.

Btw people... it should be spelled as Mina Ţepeş.

Edit: Overall, this was so bad it was good. Definitely trying the second episode.
Jan 7, 2010 3:11 PM

Sep 2009
It has to get better...
Akira : hot boy indeed..

More vampire-ism hope so..
Jan 7, 2010 3:13 PM

Sep 2007
Hey ....
Troll Shaft is returned ?!
Jan 7, 2010 3:30 PM

Jul 2007
wow - if i hadn't known the mange beforehand i probably would've instant dropped this.
the first episode is crap all the way even the preview sucks.
Now i'll wait until episode 2 but hell, this is truly a bad adaption.
Jan 7, 2010 3:31 PM

Sep 2009
what is this i dont even
Jan 7, 2010 3:31 PM
Jul 2008
It reminds me of Bakemonogatari, but they are both SHAFT animes so that makes sense.
Jan 7, 2010 3:39 PM

Jul 2009
Ehhhhh? That actress doesn't read teh fabulous "Vampire Knight"?!!! Blasphemy!!!

And Bella? Awwww...How cute!!!! Where is Edward? Got his nose hair plucked off somewhere?

Anyway, what can I say? Hey you, yes you phallus Shaft,... NICE TROLL!!! ;)
BitchMasterJan 7, 2010 3:42 PM

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jan 7, 2010 3:39 PM
Dec 2007
By far the best episode of the new season for now. Great direction and great creativity as usual from Akiyuki Shinbo resulting in a very satiric, funny and punchy introduction. Even if not perfectly executed nor animated (I fear a quite low budget on this one).

I honestly couldn't read more than 3 chapters of the original manga which was not really good (even really bad sometimes), and the introduction of the anime is far better as expected, closer to Haruhi's episode 00 than to the original manga, which is definitely a good thing for me.

So I'm quite pleased by this first episode.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 7, 2010 3:47 PM

Jul 2008
dam
i was like wtf this is shyt
for like the first half
just when i was bout to say fk this and go watch something else it got a bit
interesting XD
i guess ill give this 12 episode series a try.
Jan 7, 2010 3:59 PM

Nov 2007
I felt like the first half was filler with the game show.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jan 7, 2010 4:26 PM

Jan 2008
Skipped most of the episode ...
Jan 7, 2010 4:57 PM

Jul 2009
Well, I never read the manga, but I really liked this.
At first I thought I'll be watching the anime simply for the naked vampire loli and the gore, because, honestly, synopsis sounds like crap. I mean, the queen of the vampires announces their existance to the human race, and then decides to build a vampire paradise in Japan? Seriously, what the hell. Not to mention that the author should have done a little more research on the character names he's using...
Maybe I don't know enough and maybe there's more to it, and maybe I'm an asshole who's got his standards set too high because of Hellsing, but that's how I see it.
However, this episode suprised me with it's humor and general ridiculousness, and if that keeps up in the following ones, it'll be more than enough to keep me watching this anime, in spite the epic trash that the main plot seems to be.
Jan 7, 2010 5:06 PM

Jul 2009
PR3DAT0R said:
, and maybe I'm an asshole who's got his standards set too high because of Hellsing

Well. The ONLY thing Hellsing and Bund share is that there are vampires in both. Let's not try and compare them simply because of that. Also trying to compare SHAFT with anything other than maybe another SHAFT will prove you to become confused. I don't recommend it.

I was rather turned off at first with the game show, but it became more interesting as it went along. I hope they explain some stuff though (OH I'M A LIZARD BUT YOU CAN CALL ME A VAMPIRE... you lost me). It'll be interesting seeing SHAFT try and handle a continuous story too (an action one at that). They did really well with ef, and bakemono was a story but felt really episodic. I hope for good things.
Jan 7, 2010 5:26 PM

Aug 2009
I thought it was decent. It didn't make me extremely excited but I got my share of enjoyment out of the episode. Since it's only 12 episodes, I'll continue watching.
Jan 7, 2010 5:34 PM
Jul 2009
Well... I did not really liked it... I though that the animation was going to be a lot more slick... I did not like the palette of colors at all... I think it was interesting how they brought up right away the question of the true form... Uhm, it better have a second season, because they have basically wasted one episode, seriously, what the hell... what a tepid beginning... I'll keep on watcching though... Hime-sama, don't let us down!!!
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

porkypink - Jan 13, 2010

233 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:35 AM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

kerobear - Feb 17, 2010

180 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 29, 2023 8:12 PM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Proselyt - Feb 11, 2010

221 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 29, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Mar 31, 2010

169 by Tenshi_Budo »»
Jul 15, 2023 5:16 AM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kashim - Mar 25, 2010

95 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 2, 2023 7:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.