Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2015 1:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Quite a match. Is it just me or is Marou seems to be really struggling a bit? I think he needed to think a bit outside the box.

I think it was nice that the episode showed more body language than most. And not only that, it even shows a bit of the reflective movement in the background. Marou looks so fast :o
Jun 7, 2015 3:44 AM

Aug 2010
I know I should be used to the animation by now but damn! All Dem still frames XD
Most of the ep was a slideshow with narrations and monologue :P

Anyway, gotta love Maruo's analytical side as usual :3 I just love it when he uses his loss just to find out how he'll deal with the problem in the nxt set.

Dat spoiler in the PV showing how Maruo is winning by quite a bit lol
Jun 7, 2015 4:10 AM
Apr 2015
Ei-chan struggling against left-handed players and slowly discovering his "change-of-pace" tactic.

That PV spoiler..

With this pace this match will be 1,5-2 more episodes for sure. Good adaptation imo.
Jun 7, 2015 4:20 AM

Jun 2011
Ah, this episode was so exciting! I love Maruo's analyses ^^
Jun 7, 2015 5:53 AM

Dec 2011
Another great episode and can't wait for the next one to see how Maruo will overcome his trouble with left-handed player.The match still have 2-3 episodes left now....
Jun 7, 2015 6:49 AM

Oct 2014
Pretty good episode, Maruo having a hard time facing Araya bu I've got not doubts about him winning with his analyses :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2015 9:31 AM

Oct 2013
Well Maruo is getting more and more used to playing a left-hander. Araya is looking to shut Maruo down before Maruo shows his ridiculous growth.
Jun 7, 2015 9:31 AM

May 2013
If Maruo keeps focusing on the shots he missed with his backhand, then he's going to keep missing them. I'm glad he figured that out and became more confident.
Jun 7, 2015 11:01 AM

Nov 2010
Great episode and so many good moment in the match.
i liked how Araya kept on yelling. lol.

That Preview was bad. so much spoilers ...

but anyway, fun and exciting like always.
Jun 7, 2015 3:00 PM

Jul 2013
Even though this episode animation, still frames, and analysis-heavy, I really enjoyed it! The music was better than usual, which was nice~

I want the next episode to come out so bad >.<
Jun 7, 2015 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
Maruo's monologue and analysis were great as usual.

Playing against a left-handed player is sure tough.
Jun 7, 2015 4:05 PM

Jun 2013
good episode
Jun 7, 2015 6:35 PM

Nov 2014
Altho Maruo seemed to be having trouble dealing with Araya's left hand, I think he's figured out how to deal with it. Also, Araya's comparison of Maruo to Ike seemed like foreshadowing. I'm guessing Maruo's going to just barely lose to Araya (win the 2nd set, barely lose the 3rd set), so that he's unseeded in the next tournament. Then, he'll get to play a seeded player sooner. I guess going by the progression so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Maruo won this match, but I think it's more interesting when the protags of sports anime lose a few of their big matches...
Jun 7, 2015 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, Maruo will still go to the tournament if he loses.
Jun 7, 2015 10:05 PM

Mar 2012
Man, I totally love Maruo's analytical nature of playing tennis. It's very captivating for how he plans his every move. Shame that he dropped the first set, but it looks like he surges back in the second. Still hella hyped to see how this ends! ^^
Jun 8, 2015 12:22 AM
Nov 2010
Such an exciting match. So sad the episode's over already. I wish that I could analyze on the fly like that.........now I know the differences in trajectory between a left handed and right handed player for tennis and how to adjust for it.... and I don't play tennis. xD

His ability to adjust so quickly reminds me of the OODA loop from John Boyd.

I've googled tennis lessons after about half the episdoes...so like 4 or 5 times...lol. xD *wants to learn* D: Anyone else a bit disappointed with all the stills during the match? I hope they saving the animation for something awesome later =(
yngtadpoleJun 8, 2015 12:57 AM
Jun 8, 2015 7:17 AM

Sep 2014
Such a fantastic episode. I lost track of time and it was over before I realized it. Araya really is a strong player and we see that as Maruo struggled A LOT this match. Let's see if he can overcome this.
Jun 8, 2015 3:35 PM

Jun 2014
awesome
Jun 8, 2015 7:54 PM

Jul 2010
I know I've heard this before, but it's really this hard playing against a left-handed player in tennis? I'm asking because when I tried it I only played against right-handed players so this episode made me curious.

yngtadpole said:
I've googled tennis lessons after about half the episdoes...so like 4 or 5 times...lol. xD *wants to learn* D: Anyone else a bit disappointed with all the stills during the match? I hope they saving the animation for something awesome later =(

It's always been like that, since S1, I've got used to it already, it's such a pity though, because I like everything else.
Jun 8, 2015 8:48 PM

Apr 2015
I think that style of animation is only here b'cause they need to save a lot for the All-Japan Junior.

But overall, this episode was pretty damn good. Maruo as always is a analytical beast x)

I've got to appreciate Araya a lot more since I've read the manga :)

Pretty hype for dat next episode :D
Jun 9, 2015 8:50 PM

Jul 2012
Gosh, Maruo takes data tennis to a completely new and different level. This match has me on my toes!! The animation was really nice; it really fits this kind of anime. I can't wait for the next ep; hope the match will be done in the next one of two episodes.
Jun 12, 2015 3:22 PM

Oct 2011
Maruto gonna lose??? OMG
Jun 13, 2015 9:15 PM

Nov 2014
Probably one of my favourite matches, I love how Marou is struggling with left handed people because he is developing so fast leaving him with less experience.
Enjoying how Marou always in control of his thoughts even when he is in trouble.

Looking forward eagerly to the next episode.
Jul 6, 2015 12:18 AM

Jan 2011
The left hand of the devil.
Jul 17, 2015 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
I have no idea why this anime is the only sports anime where I feel like there is no intensity at all in any of the matches :/ This match was the one I hoped will change my mind....maybe the second part of it will.

Having that many still frames wasnt great either.
removed-userJul 31, 2015 11:56 AM
Jul 29, 2015 3:41 PM

Jan 2015
Damn, since Maruo and Natsu are playing right next to each other, I was hoping for some cross-ground encouragement shouts. It wasn't meant to be :(
Sep 15, 2015 4:15 AM

Jul 2012
This is so confusing omg
I don't understand tennis!
I've never been this confused during a sports anime OTL

xcess090 said:
I have no idea why this anime is the only sports anime where I feel like there is no intensity at all in any of the matches :/ This match was the one I hoped will change my mind....maybe the second part of it will.

Not this match, at least. I'm looking more forward to when he and Nat-chan becomes a couple
Mar 3, 2016 4:53 AM

Aug 2013
Ahh... the usual left-handed problem.
The first game is gone.. how will Ei-chan deal with it now.
May 12, 2016 4:26 AM

Dec 2012
Great episode, it's good to see again Maruo in trouble. The good left-handed players seem hard to beat
Mar 12, 2018 2:50 AM

Jun 2016
Until Araya started capitalizing on Maruo's lack of knowledge I thought the match was going to go like it did. To have a huge part of the rematch be Maruo learning how to deal with a left handed player seems odd. That being said, I'm glad he had to deal with one before the all junior! Alike what Maruo said in episode 3:
"Where did all my hard work go? No, that's not it. I can understand the intensity because of my hard work."
He couldn't tell the struggle of playing against a southpaw because he wasn't good enough to understand it. Now he is, and now the lesson is to learn to deal with it.

Araya said he's as good a national player, and compared him to Ike. Those are big words coming from Araya. This is a match of technique/strategy vs physique. Knowing anime power would lose to friendship or something, but since this Baby Steps I really don't know. A huge strength of Baby Steps is that it's one of the most unpredictable anime I've ever seen and I'd place it with the ranks of Kaiji(even if Kaiji gets slightly more predictable as it goes on).

I chuckled when Maruo described Araya as if his body was ideally made for tennis down to his left hand. If this was a Yuasa, or Fukumoto story they would exaggerate Araya in that frame to look like a giant menacing robot made to dominate in tennis.
Jul 29, 2019 3:12 PM
Apr 2016
The match is really profound and good as expected. Ei-chan is growing whilst playing, seems like it always happens when he plays against someone unique or good in any way. He lost the first set, so that might be an issue. However, Araya is an obstacle that Ei-chan is mandated to overcome.
Nov 27, 2020 5:41 PM

Jul 2017
Intense first set, where Araya strikes first blood by winning it 6-3. Maruo definitely has stepped up to a level where Araya even considers him playing like a national level player, but Maruo's lack of experience against a left-handed opponent (while actually being good and not a rookie) like Araya stung him a bit here. Since he doesn't have the relevant accurate data to encounter and triumph against left-handers just yet, especially one with power and strength like Araya, he has a lot to overcome to win the second set and take this to the final one.

I'm never going to get tired of Maruo's monologues. Seeing his analytical perspective try and compete with a unique nature to Araya's game is pretty damn great to watch for me. Hope he pulls through next episode.
Mar 23, 2022 12:08 AM

Jul 2021
Maruo you better step up your game ;-;
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Sep 12, 2023 4:01 AM

Sep 2018
Facing a lefty, even when you're experienced enough with them, is still annoying lol, especially when they have a good amount of topspin and you have a single handed backhand (me). In theory, it's a lot easier to deal with balls around and above shoulder height on the backhand when, as a double hander. And yes, sliding serves out wide on ad side from a lefty are also difficult to deal with, can leave a lot of court open, when you're dragged out wide like that.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2015

116 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2015

51 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:27 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

36 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:37 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2015

48 by ImmuneDark3 »»
Jun 21, 2022 5:30 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2015

33 by tinker3bellz1 »»
May 19, 2022 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.