Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2009 1:11 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The best, and creepiest, episode yet. It seems that Nagi may be the main, or one of the main, character. Since, she has been mentioned or featured in each episode so far and is shown in the OP. She had a big role here and seems to know of Boogiepop and, maybe, the serial killer.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 20, 2011 4:05 AM
Jun 2008
Saotome died after "decision Echoes"....I never imagine that the affect can be so big.
and lol at Nagi always appears after Boogiepop.

boogiepop said:
You are just pretending to love this world in order to protect yourselves from it and it was that love which gave that thing this stance.Your pitiful attempt to "evolve" help him materialize in this world.

okay, this Anime really give me the Danshou no grimm vibe .The only difference is that they don't use bubble's nightmare or bubble parallel lol

anyway, awesome episode.
Jul 10, 2011 8:33 PM

Dec 2009
Great episode, that was messed up at the end
Aug 4, 2011 2:06 AM
Jun 2010
Nagi is indeed the main character of the Boogiepop series (aside from Boogiepop himself, of course.)

Though here is where things are getting rather confusing (...moreso.) Nagi called Boogiepop the Manticore last episode, and the Boogiepop that showed up this episode seems to be the same one. However, not!Saotome is obviously the Manticore, too. So unless Nagi made a mistake, either:

-The Manticore has some kind of split personality, one of which manifesting as not!Boogiepop, or
-There's more than one Manticore.

Either would explain the odd differences between the Manticore as Saotome and the Manticore as Boogiepop.

Spoilers for Boogiepop at Dawn:

SuperLlamaAug 4, 2011 3:04 AM
Aug 30, 2012 8:15 PM

Nov 2009
In a word, creepy.
Jan 8, 2013 6:55 PM

Jun 2008
Working to piece together exactly what is going on with summaries of the other Boogiepop material. All told this was a really good episode, it had an excellent build-up to its conclusion. One of the most basic things taught in a writing class and it helps so much to execute it right.
Dec 25, 2013 7:46 AM

Aug 2013
A cool episode, though I want to learn more about Panaru. Also I hate it when they randomly kill characters at the end of the episode.
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Jan 28, 2014 5:02 PM
Feb 2013
Great episode, that ending was very disturbing.
Jun 20, 2014 10:31 AM
Jun 2013
Do these people not care that theres a serial killer on the loose.Why are they going out at night in dark places to meet up when its known there is a killer on the loose.People sure do die and dissapear in this show and holy crap that death was freaking brutal in the end.You didint see it but the aftermath shows she was freaking ripped apart though I dont get the gunshot part.Kinda messed up she got her friend killed as well and seemed so meh about it.
Jun 30, 2014 1:10 AM

Jul 2008
Holy crap she was what torn and ripped apart?! My god this was freaking creepy as hell.
Dec 28, 2014 11:02 AM

Apr 2009
Panuru~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2015 2:01 PM

Jan 2012
What a troublesome Ending.

Dec 29, 2015 7:07 PM

May 2011
It might just be a conjecture of mine, but the end the policeman might have been Manticore in disguise? Considering the fact that he could exist as 'Saotome', and knowing that he/she had failed to convince her to continue 'saving' people as a way to feed on human 'souls', Manticore just ended her as means to an end, I presume.

Great direction, this episode in particular. We are able to clearly see the various angles of the story as it progresses, with minimal digression from the intended outcome: Manticore's modus operandi. Now to see whether the story will continue upon individual cases, or move on to focusing on Boogiepop and Manticore?
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 1, 2016 8:43 PM

May 2015
I'm really enjoying this so far. It feels like I'm watching a David Lynch movie with an Aphex Twin soundtrack, very surreal and unnerving. Most of the anime shows that I like tend to start out really slow, but I'm hooked already on this one. c:

Another interesting aspect is how while each episode (from what I've seen so far) is like separate vignettes, they all seem to coalesce together in some way. The narrative structure sort of reminds me of the book, Infinite Jest.
Jan 6, 2016 7:25 AM

Apr 2009
What the fuck, that was good. The scene with Misuzu at her most vulnerable state before her death kinda hit home pretty hard.. since we all in some form or another struggle with accepting the world as it is.
Another thing that perturbed me was Misuzu's profound ignorance that she was being used.. even when Yoko, the girl who cheated on her exams, died after being "helped" by the Manticore.
The scene with the flashbacks and where Boogiepop knocked some sense into the poor girl were really good.
M: "I took over Panuru's will. I accepted the world for what it is."
B: "What you accepted was not the world. It was simply HER DEATH."
Daaaang.
Nov 15, 2016 9:58 AM

Mar 2014
So can anyone tell me what exactly happened at the end? Is there a serial killer on the loose or is Misuzu the victim of a random rape crime? Or is it the Manticore itself? If so, it would have recognized Misuzu.

Anyway, i am not enjoying this as much as i did Serial Experiments Lain. I would like an overarching story instead of focusing on one character in one episode only to somehow finish them off at the end. SEL was solely focused on Lain and since she was central to the anime itself, that made it much more exciting.
Mar 24, 2017 5:55 AM

May 2012
Damn what an episode, that's pretty crazy development! I actually starting to like it!
Apr 22, 2018 4:18 PM

Feb 2013
Cheater girl died.
Panuru was killed by the serial killer.
Fake Panuru was killed too, not by Boogiepop.
Nagi one step too late (missed the body in the back of the cop car).

Ok, I think I'm still following what's going on here.
Nov 16, 2018 4:39 PM

Nov 2016
Living a lie, get confronted with it and then get killed, ouch.

And the whole accepting the world thing is bs anyway, sure some things can't be changed, but applying it everywhere is just an excuse by weakminded people who don't like changes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 14, 2021 7:19 PM

Aug 2017
Ouch, that ending hurts. This episode had an excellent build-up to its conclusion. Honestly, she deserved it.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 14, 2021 2:29 PM
Nov 2020
grayrebornnhy said:
It might just be a conjecture of mine, but the end the policeman might have been Manticore in disguise? Considering the fact that he could exist as 'Saotome', and knowing that he/she had failed to convince her to continue 'saving' people as a way to feed on human 'souls', Manticore just ended her as means to an end, I presume.

Great direction, this episode in particular. We are able to clearly see the various angles of the story as it progresses, with minimal digression from the intended outcome: Manticore's modus operandi. Now to see whether the story will continue upon individual cases, or move on to focusing on Boogiepop and Manticore?

I know it's been five years, but I just want to say that your conjecture is most likely correct. At the end, even though we don't see the policeman manually cleaning up all that blood that must have remained in the alley, he bothers to take the CD player as if he knows what it is and wishes to remove any evidence of Manticore's existence.
Jul 17, 2021 2:11 AM

Mar 2018
God the sound for this is beyond amazing, it's really effective at making its eerie and unnerving atmosphere hit that much harder.

Probably my favorite one yet, the sheer tension and discomfort I felt during this one was unlike any other with the only anime I can think of capturing this feeling consistently is Lain
Celest__Jul 17, 2021 2:31 AM
May 21, 2022 6:42 AM

Nov 2018
Now I'm sure I am just a normie, not into this artsy stuff at all, this pacing hurts too much.
Lain's presentantion of similar style is way better IMO + Lain's themes are more interesting.
I hate everyone equally
Aug 9, 2022 7:07 AM

Jun 2020
Fucking amazing. This show is too underrated.

Oct 30, 2022 9:00 PM

Jan 2010
Well, that was horrific. It's interesting how Boogiepop Phantom incorporates modern technology into horror stories, such as the idea of a demonic spirit traveling through electrical lines. I can absolutely 100% see how Triangle Staff created both Boogiepop Phantom and Serial Experiments Lain now, their resemblance is uncanny. I'm constantly asking questions of who is who, why are things happening, and how any of this is even possible. It's a great feeling to be utterly confused, but for that feeling to be an intended effect. The world of Boogiepop Phantom seems broken and disturbed, where society has always been mad, but it's always maintained a façade to hide that madness. Now, between the serial killer, the urban legends of Boogiepop, and all the supernatural events going on, everyone's just succumbing to lunacy. I don't know what I expected going into Boogiepop Phantom, except it was apparently dark and psychological. Holy crap, this is incredible.
Dec 10, 2022 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
Like this episode better than the other two. Unfortunate ending, still have no idea what's going on. This Boogiepop entity is more fascinating than the setting and other characters at the moment. Going to give it a chance despite the pacing. Never been driven to complete something solely due to a single character in a series. I just want to know what this thing is and what it wants. Hopefully the anime will make it make sense though.
May 17, 2023 11:46 AM
May 2023
no entiendo nada y tampco tengo ganas d entenderlo
Jul 6, 2023 7:47 PM
Jan 2016
One of the scariest episodes of the show for me, with the corpse of her dead friend appearing to her multiple times and the way the episode ends. The exact timing of things are already quite convoluted; Jounichi has already disappeared, but the events here appear to take place before the end of episode 1 because the Manticore/Saotome hasn't been killed by Boogiepop yet.

Answers to years old questions...

SuperLlama:
Though here is where things are getting rather confusing (...moreso.) Nagi called Boogiepop the Manticore last episode, and the Boogiepop that showed up this episode seems to be the same one. However, not!Saotome is obviously the Manticore, too. So unless Nagi made a mistake, either:
-The Manticore has some kind of split personality, one of which manifesting as not!Boogiepop, or
-There's more than one Manticore.
Either would explain the odd differences between the Manticore as Saotome and the Manticore as Boogiepop.

Me:
Well first keep in mind that what we see in this episode isn't Boogiepop, but rather Boogiepop Phantom. We see regular Boogiepop in episode 1, but Boogiepop Phantom in episodes 2 and 3. The easiest way to tell them apart is Boogiepop Phantom has longer hair. They also have notably different sounding voices in both the sub and dub. Presumably Nagi calls her the Manticore because she is using Minako Yurihara as her appearance just like the Manticore did in the Boogiepop and Others light novel (episodes 1 - 3 of the 2019 adaption). It seems that the Manticore split in two, or perhaps remained as a single entity, but is now taking the appearance of Masami Saotome, while Boogiepop Phantom was created as a separate entity.

grayrebornnhy:

Me:
They are not the same entity, Misuzu just got really unlucky and ran into the police officer, who is himself a serial killer.

Maggot Brain:
So can anyone tell me what exactly happened at the end? Is there a serial killer on the loose or is Misuzu the victim of a random rape crime? Or is it the Manticore itself? If so, it would have recognized Misuzu.

Me:
The police officer is not affiliated with Saotome/the Manticore, but is a killer and Misuzu just got really unlucky to run into him when she did.
Aug 19, 2023 1:39 PM

Sep 2017
Wow. I literally have no idea what this episode was even about/trying to tell. This anime is literally a brain melter
خ
Jan 12, 2:37 AM

Nov 2023
This episode was quite nice with it's brilliant soundtrack.

Can't wait for another ep.

Hush! My dear, don't you cry
Pino gonna sing you a lullaby
Hush! My dear, don't be sad
Pino gonna sing a song he heard.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.