Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 31, 2014 5:51 PM

Mar 2008
StevenHu said:
Asada-san said:
perhaps the name of their studio if they'd create one, or an anime title. anyway, this is getting really interesting.

"Shirobako" means "white box" whilst the OP is called "Colourful Box"; I found that kind of interesting.

I wonder if it is simply used as contrast or something else.

All colours combined gives you white. The opposite happens in the light prism - you'll see the full rainbow when lit by white light. I think it supposed to mean that each team member as a colour adds to the team production, a white box.

Corruption Robot Sadoka Mazoka totally made my day. Fits for Kyuubei so much xD
Oct 31, 2014 9:01 PM

Jul 2011
I definitely don't mind girl groups, and the one here is great. Cute, non-teenagers, and having (more) realistic problems. ^^
Hopefully the VA will get another chance in the near future. Tough competition she has.

Oh crap, I wonder what happened at the end there. The assistant producer is so incompetent...
Oct 31, 2014 10:06 PM

Dec 2013
Totally loving this show!

Love how the girls each have their own field of expertise, though it's kind of sad that the main girl doesn't think her Production skills are an expertise... ah well, she'll figure out soon enough that not everyone can do the things she's been doing to keep her episodes afloat.

I am so gonna enjoy the next episode. That Tarou dude has been getting on my nerves for the past 4 episodes. I hate people with that blame everyone else but yourself attitude. I hope he messes up enough to either get his shit together or get fired altogether.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Nov 1, 2014 1:17 AM
Jan 2012
[quote=sevendeadlywins]
ihusmal1234 said:
Is that Souma Rena VA a reference to an actual VA? Couldn't find a VA that has a similar name and in "Mon Mon Biyori" and "Sadoka". Or is there a kanji pun in there I'm not getting?

The VA Souma Rena in the Anime is obviously a reference to Sato Rina, the winner VA of 2013 Seiyu Award and one of the busiest, although she didn't star in Sadoka Mazoka but in Mon Mon Biyori (as Candystore). By the way, "Mon-mon" refers to a state of agony (sexual desire) in Japanese language, as opposed to "Non-non" (state of lax and peace).

Horiuchi-san of Naniwa Animation is a reference to no-one else but Yukiko Horiguchi, associated with Kyoto Animation (chief animator of K-On!, Tamako, Lucky Star). Actually the scriptwriter of this Episode 4 of Shirobako is Reiko Yoshida, who together with Horiguchi (and Yamada of KyoAni) made K-On! and Tamako Market/Love Story. Reiko Yoshida is also main scriptwriter for Non-non Biyori, so there is no disrespect from her to Non-non Biyori.

Animation ”Fight" is nothing else but "Fate", any Japanimation fan would guess that.

Suzuki mentioned as producer is of course Producer Toshio Suzuki at Studio Ghibli.

Akaoni Production => Aoni Production, a prominent VA agency. Kanae Ito, Masumi Asano, Ai Nonaka, Satomi Sato, etc.
24 Produce => 81 Produce, another known VA agency. Chinatsu Akasaki, Kana Asumi, Emiri Kato, Minami Takayama, etc.

Preußen (Prussia) Studio is Procense Studio in Akasaka, Tokyo.

These facts are nothing important to the actual drama, and of course animation is not reality, but knowing the backgrounds might make watching this more enjoyable.

I like this anime quite a lot for having a slice-of-life at workplace instead of the usual highschool. Actually my favorite character is the Director with his fatty shape and freakish imagination and bad habits of loose scheduling and unhealthy snacks.
GohanwaOkazuNov 1, 2014 1:37 AM
Nov 1, 2014 2:59 AM

May 2010
mbahamood said:
millo said:
i love this episode, and that phone call from home is seriously one of the sweetest scene i've seen on any anime this year. :')

Yes...that is my favourite scene, the way the mother says she keep repeating the part when miyamura name is on really is sweet :')

Agreed :D but also kind of funny cause she basically only watch the anime cause her daughter worked on it and then didn't really remember much about it hahaha

GohanwaOkazu said:
sevendeadlywins said:

The VA Souma Rena in the Anime is obviously a reference to Sato Rina, the winner VA of 2013 Seiyu Award and one of the busiest, although she didn't star in Sadoka Mazoka but in Mon Mon Biyori (as Candystore).

Is it really? At the very least, I disagree that it is obvious. First off is that she Satou Rina didn't star in Sadoka Mazoka. Also she is voiced by Tamura Yukari for some reason whereas previous seiyuus referenced were voiced by their respective seiyuus.

Animation ”Fight" is nothing else but "Fate", any Japanimation fan would guess that.

First thing to come into my mind when I heard it was also Fate, which happens to be airing this season right now :D
Nov 1, 2014 3:46 AM
Jan 2012
I know what you mean, and I don't oppose your idea at all. Excuse me for my subjective and not so obvious guesstimate on that particular VA reference. I have stated that Sato Rina does not star in Madoka. It could have been Yukari Tamura or anyone else with a career. It's just fiction.

But from the reference to Non-non Biyori and the scriptwriter of this particular episode being Reiko Yoshida, and because of the similarity of the name, I think probably many if not most Japanese viewers thought it was Sato Rina that the script was hinting on. However, I wouldn't mind her being Yukari Tamura herself or Kana Asumi or Kana Hanazawa at all.

I like the workplace setting; reminds me a bit of Hanasaku Iroha. PA Works haven't been so great with recent series (Glass Slip just slipped away empty), so I am very looking forward to how this develops as a 2 cours series.
GohanwaOkazuNov 1, 2014 4:25 AM
Nov 1, 2014 4:32 AM

Jun 2014
That Shizuka screentime plays right into my weakness for redhead girls. The start of the episode was alright, and then it got better when the mother called and when Shizuka talked about her unfortunate event at the audition. I swear that if she continued talking about it a bit more when the friends were together, she would cry. ;( Great seiyuu work there, Haruka.
AlloyBurstNov 1, 2014 4:35 AM
Nov 1, 2014 6:18 AM

Jul 2014
More Shizuka <3
Nov 1, 2014 6:27 AM

Dec 2011
Interesting lines to be rehearsing on a train...

Arguments over the air conditioning. Yup. Everyday event. Been there, done that.

Rii-chan completely overwhelmed by the others.

One day off and the whole thing's fallen apart when you get back...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 1, 2014 10:02 AM
Jul 2018
I'm glad the episode was so much more relaxed than the first 3 and they decided to focus it on their reunion. It's a nice change for such an stressful yet fun anime to watch x)
Shizuka is gorgeous and she looked so cute when drunk. Well, Aoi too.
Those are my favourite characters. I hope Shizuka gets her part soon :)
Nov 1, 2014 10:37 AM
Dec 2008
So Aoi just took a day-off and things went to shit fast. Either the other production assistants are incompetent or Tarou's stupidity fucks everyone up.
Nov 1, 2014 12:12 PM

Oct 2014
This was a relatively slower episode compared to last week. That's not exactly a bad thing, though. One thing that I'm curious about though is, where is this heading? This doesn't seem to be the type of anime that will have a major over-arching story, so it makes me wonder how this show will continue.
Nov 1, 2014 5:11 PM

Jun 2013
Mean while in the States, non of that stuff happens regarding our cartoons. ;_ ;
Nov 2, 2014 12:51 AM

Dec 2010
I think I can say that Shizuka and Ema are my favorites so far... It's nice to finally get to meet all five of the girls, and get them together. Even if it was mostly to drink which is something I don't really condone. But it happens!

Shizuka practices for her erotic sounding audition on the train was a problem, but it was pretty comical still.

The director is basically a manchild, but he's a manchild with the right idea, he wants things to be done right, in a way I can relate to him...
Nov 2, 2014 1:26 AM

May 2012
mbahamood said:
millo said:
i love this episode, and that phone call from home is seriously one of the sweetest scene i've seen on any anime this year. :')

Yes...that is my favourite scene, the way the mother says she keep repeating the part when miyamura name is on really is sweet :')

What the hell is wrong with the mohawk guy, he seems to be getting more and more annoying each episode

I totally agree! That phone call was really sweet. And lol when her mother said that they did not understand the show but just watched for the ending credit. Haha. Parents.

And yes, that mohawk guy is really messed up. They should really fire him already. Even his voice is annoying.
Nov 2, 2014 7:08 AM

Sep 2011
probably my least favorite episode thus far, mainly cause i just dont think the girls are all to entertaining talking together unlike everyone at the animation studio

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 2, 2014 8:28 AM

Jun 2012
Practicing on the train made me laugh, decent episode. Shit is gonna hit the fan next ep xD
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Nov 2, 2014 1:54 PM

Oct 2014
I like it, each time I watch it, I feel a little bit jealous of their line of work.
"It's like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story"

"And the sense of tragedy-according to Aristotle.comes, ironically enough, not from the protagonist's weak points but from his good qualities. Do you know what I'm getting at? People are drawn deeper into tragedy not by their defects but by their virtues"

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami...the man that was the inspiration for Sen Takatsuki

Nov 2, 2014 10:49 PM

Dec 2008
Aw, we should get to see more of the girls interact again, that was heart-warmingly adorable~ <3

That and I want more Zuka-chan~
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Nov 3, 2014 10:03 AM

Nov 2010
Zuka had a rough time at the Seiyuu audition
The famouse competitor did Madoka, Non non Biyori and Ai something which was a nice reference
Seeing the girls hanging out was nice, no drama inserted thankfully

So much information about the anime production and it's getting better each episode
Nov 3, 2014 2:56 PM

Mar 2010
I spied a sekaiichi hatsukoi poster. lol. and man i really do not like Takanashi Tarou.
Nov 5, 2014 4:41 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

The episode is slow in the narrative, but I think this is a fundamental and inevitable in the way of telling the story, but in the end does not leave disappointed if you look at the rest.
The animations are good, well-made designs.
The Costume Design is nice.
The plot moves forward albeit slowly, finally coming on stage the other girls to complete the main cast.
I do not think that there is also a lot to be disappointed, right?
I look forward to the next episode to make me a hypothesis based on what is the history of anime, but I guess the main story will be the one to tell the professional growth and character of Aoi.
Nov 6, 2014 7:24 AM

Dec 2010
Zuka-chan-senpai, ganbare!
Nov 14, 2014 12:39 AM

May 2012
0025 aaaa iiiii

7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Nov 19, 2014 9:47 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
LOL at the Nom Nom Biyori reference.

The show is pretty slow but enjoyable. The people in the train gave that weird look because of Zuka's line practicing, she was making moaning sounds xD

Miyamori shocked at the end of the episode because someone quit.

Nov 23, 2014 9:13 AM

Apr 2011
A nice laid down episode to relax a bit since last episode was stressful enough.

Zuka practicing on the train is kinda embarassing. I would never do that.
Dec 7, 2014 1:31 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Shizuka's moans were pretty...inspiring.

I think she should have taken that phonecall btw.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 3, 2015 4:24 PM

Jan 2011
So much fun in this episode, good shit!
I really need to watch this more often.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 17, 2015 2:22 AM
Nov 2010
I just started watching this series yesterday and gotta say there so much depth to the anime lingo it makes it hard to understand..this episode when all the girls were drinking I related so much since I work also......something so fun about this episode seeing them release their stress from work....I just did that tonight haha. Anyways, this series is super growing on me..it feels like Servant x Servant but with a K-On! sorta feels to it.
Jan 22, 2015 11:02 PM

Apr 2013
'if it ain't broken don't fix it.'
I think that's what the story writers a

the episodes are actually pretty nice and the overall pace doesn't change much. This is one solid series, it probably won't set the bar for new anime to come but what it will provide is constant entertainment(I hope) for two cours. It's O-K.
Mar 25, 2015 10:31 PM

Oct 2012
Lol
I shall refer him with Fried chicken director!! xD

So, what happened in Zuka's audition?

Aww, Aoi's parent T_T

Sadoka Madoka, Mon Mon Biyori, Aipuri
Dat references xD

I really want to see Zuka in action
I mean I want to become seiyuu too, I should learn more from her xD
"Signature removed"
Apr 7, 2015 3:16 AM
May 2012
They all look cute together. You can do it, Zuka ^^

millo said:

Yep, that scene was sweet~
Apr 11, 2015 12:01 PM

Jan 2013
Very good so far. I like how it successfully concentrates on every character once in a while.
Apr 12, 2015 8:52 PM

Jan 2009
so the delicious brown/morena girl is actually a 3D animator/modeler good choice, and im so sorry for Miyamori since i heard being production assistant is like a clerical work and not much promotion on the anime industry so she really have to worry about her future
Apr 20, 2015 7:24 PM

Sep 2013
Aoi is totally waifu material.
Apr 27, 2015 6:52 AM

May 2012
Solid daily life episode, quite liked to see them all together!
Jun 11, 2015 12:40 PM

Dec 2008
The director is so fucking unreliable it's not even funny. Tarou's such a jackass and never gets shit done properly, I'm in awe that he hasnt been fired.
Jul 20, 2015 12:54 AM

Mar 2012
Seems like she screwed up that audition.
Aug 23, 2015 1:52 AM

Sep 2013
ohhhhhhhhh boy i think i found another anime im gonna marathon :DDDDDDDDDDDD
wow
Aug 27, 2015 10:31 AM

Jul 2014
awhh poor Zuka :'( I know that feel
that moment when Aoi was talking with her mom on the phone was so nice.
lolol jeez their anime production in high school... xD
Mon Mon Biyori and Sadoka Mazoka lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2015 2:51 AM

Oct 2014
Non non biyori reference right after i finished watching it :)
Sep 2, 2015 11:25 AM

Jun 2009
nice break from the previous episodes.
Apr 2, 2016 5:47 PM

Nov 2015
Jajaja what a way to start the episode when those suggestive lines of that redhead jajajja
And the other guy wakes up all of the sudden jajaja xD

At least this episode was not as stressful (good stress) as the past episode, so you could relax a little bit.

It doesn't matter how of a pro somebody is as a VA, it's an audition, so if the voice of that VA
doesn't suit the character, it's gonna be rejected. So, there's always chance.

This episode had so many great lines like "Are they cute?", "Is my wife among them",
"who turned off the A/C?" and the best of all "You can't do anime without a kid's heart" xD amazing.
Apr 14, 2016 6:25 PM

Jul 2012
Probably my favorite episode so far. Feels and light-heartedness and away from all that stress! :p

Looks like we're back at it again next episode though. All because of the annoying faux hawk guy..
Jun 1, 2016 6:10 AM

Apr 2016
After watching this episode, all I can say is: Kanpai! (o.o)
Jun 5, 2016 7:34 AM

Mar 2015
At first I liked Shizuka moaning voice but when she cried after audition, I feel sorry for her :(
I want to give her a hug T_T

I can feel you director! You are the best chara in this show. When he said "If you are not child at heart, you cant make anime", I deeply moved by his words. I gave him a plus points for that.
For those who watch anime are young at heart no matter how old you are. *repetitive nod*

Among the 5 main MC, I like her voice who are still college student.

4.1/5
Jun 15, 2016 3:02 PM

Sep 2015
Another great episode, nice change of pace from the first three. I liked seeing the high school gang together and seeing more of Zuka, curious if she'll get the part after that one guys comment. But the scene after they watch the movie together where they all comment on the part of anime they're most interested and working in was kind of clumsy.

I'm also appreciating the setting of the series more and more, I liked Miyamoto and Ema parting ways at the prettily animated subway station and yeah as others have commented Miyamoto is a fun drunk.

The phone call from her parents was sweet too, especially laughed at the mom saying she just didn't understand the anime.

I'm starting to kind of enjoy Taro and Miyamoto's interactions together not in a shipping kind of way more of just her thinly veiled hatred really amuses me.
Jul 13, 2016 1:33 PM

Jul 2012
You take one day off work, and when you come back everything's on fire. It's funny 'cause it's true.

Jul 14, 2016 3:16 PM

Aug 2012
4 episodes in and I still don't know the names of at least half the staff at MusaAni, but that's probably why I liked this episode a lot more than the previous episodes. Everything within this episode was much easier to keep track of. It was also probably because of that phone call Aoi got from her mom, which was actually really adorable.
Aug 1, 2016 10:46 PM

Jul 2013
See,see. No one called it "total garbage" so yay.

And the 3D girl....go away. Your kind is not wanted here.

And half price lunches...i guess they got the animator wages right.
KuruwinAug 1, 2016 10:57 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

286 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

165 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2014

250 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.