Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2014 9:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Alright so before this season started and I first laid my eyes on this anime I honestly thought it was a joke. It looked so out of place and just something that couldn't possibly be good.

Then as the season came to a close it apparantly got really high ratings which kind of shocked me so I eventually decided to try and push my prejudices aside and see if it could positively surprise me.

...so why was it just as mediocre as I thought it would be? -.-
Well okay I'd still say it was better than I expected but really the only thing that stands out in this series was the soundtrack, that was awesome, but other than that it's just... table tennis. Nothing more. And I even like the sport a lot but geh, would rather watch it IRL instead.

Overall still a decent show but I will never understand where *these* kind of ratings came from at least.
6/10
Jul 18, 2014 6:30 AM
May 2012
Dude, ping pong forgives you......ping pong forgives you ;_;
Oh, so Peco won, huh. I actually like that. It means that Peco won even though he has an injury. That picture :))
A satisfying ending. Smile changed; he is now showing more facial expressions, and he uses Engrish too from time to time like Koizumi-sensei :D
They are all happy with their lives. Wenge got recognition :D
Well, this Anime was pretty something. I wonder if this Anime covered all of the Manga. I might read the Manga someday. Thank you ^^ I haven't watched that many Sports Anime, yet :3
Jul 27, 2014 4:55 AM

May 2013
Loved the scene where Smile broke out of his mechanical shell and just had the time of his life with playing against Peco. Actually I loved all the scenes in this episode...hell even the whole anime. I mentioned in an earlier post that it feels as if there's no wasted scenes and to till the very end I still believe it.

I was never really into ping pong and the animation style kind of put me off but I am sooooooo glad I checked this anime out.
Jul 27, 2014 5:00 AM

Apr 2009
HaXXspetten said:
Alright so before this season started and I first laid my eyes on this anime I honestly thought it was a joke. It looked so out of place and just something that couldn't possibly be good.

Then as the season came to a close it apparantly got really high ratings which kind of shocked me so I eventually decided to try and push my prejudices aside and see if it could positively surprise me.

...so why was it just as mediocre as I thought it would be? -.-
Well okay I'd still say it was better than I expected but really the only thing that stands out in this series was the soundtrack, that was awesome, but other than that it's just... table tennis. Nothing more. And I even like the sport a lot but geh, would rather watch it IRL instead.

Overall still a decent show but I will never understand where *these* kind of ratings came from at least.
6/10

I assume you didn't get it. Like, at all. Ping Pong was not about Ping Pong at all if you look behind the show's facade....
NidhoeggrJul 27, 2014 5:08 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 28, 2014 12:04 PM

Jun 2008
The only gripe for the show I had is my own biased opinion on the aesthetics of the show. All else the characters, the soundtrack, how the games are animated are all top notch.

Still the gripe did put a hamper on my enjoyment and I still feel real world ping pong is much more enjoyable to watch than what this anime depicted (no real fault to the anime really nor should I be comparing 3D with 2D).

7/10.
Jul 29, 2014 4:37 AM

Apr 2013
Tachii said:
Still the gripe did put a hamper on my enjoyment and I still feel real world ping pong is much more enjoyable to watch than what this anime depicted (no real fault to the anime really nor should I be comparing 3D with 2D).

7/10.

Comparing real life with anime is wrong to begin with.
Jul 30, 2014 12:07 AM

Oct 2009
LeFlower-kun said:
Tachii said:

7/10.

What he's saying is that the ping pong matches in the show were relatively dull, which is true. Ive seen an anime that made baking bread somewhat interesting so don't tell me nobody should expect enjoyable animated ping pong matches.

In any case, this anime was pretty lackluster to me. 5/10.

The premises were bogus, leading to forced "conflicts"; there was too much melodrama....melodrama that stemmed from petty problems; characters were pretty lame + flaky and spontaneous character development. Basically, nothing really affected me.

Basically, it is one of those anime that tries to be "artistic" and deep, but is just mediocre and doesnt leave a lasting impression.

To top it all off, the art style and animation were not to my tastes.
Aug 1, 2014 8:51 PM
May 2014
RandomChampion said:
LeFlower-kun said:

What he's saying is that the ping pong matches in the show were relatively dull, which is true. Ive seen an anime that made baking bread somewhat interesting so don't tell me nobody should expect enjoyable animated ping pong matches.

I respect your opinion, but you are obviously expecting for something this anime is not intend to have.

For a one season show, you can't expect a lot of matches at the sacrifice of plot and character development. All sport anime with good matches have more than 26 episodes, while Ping Pong has only 11.

Forced "conflicts". Well, IMO, conflicts in every anime are "forced". Why Tomoya has to be a dick at the beginning in Clannad? Because if he is not, there will be no conflicts.
Aug 10, 2014 7:41 AM

Jun 2013
I never thought my first 10 would be a sport anime. Moreover, it's a goddamn Ping Pong show. The closure made me. No one gets left behind and overall, it is satisfiying. Gonna re-watch it someday.

Did the Ocean Guy get into to the national team? I'm sure he's wearing a uniform at the end.
Aug 10, 2014 7:47 AM

Apr 2013
Impala said:
I never thought my first 10 would be a sport anime. Moreover, it's a goddamn Ping Pong show. The closure made me. No one gets left behind and overall, it is satisfiying. Gonna re-watch it someday.

Did the Ocean Guy get into to the national team? I'm sure he's wearing a uniform at the end.

He seemed like he was just a fan of the national Japanese team cheering for Peco's game :P
Aug 10, 2014 10:13 AM
May 2012
Initially went through the series for the sport because I don't see much Ping Pong in anime these days, only to get driven and taken by the story instead. This one's more on the story and less on the Pin Pong, which is kinda surprising. But nevertheless one of its kind.

Excellent job through and through on the story, everything worked out really well in the end.

9/10.
Aug 11, 2014 1:31 PM
Feb 2014
RandomChampion said:
LeFlower-kun said:

In any case, this anime was pretty lackluster to me. 5/10.

The premises were bogus, leading to forced "conflicts"; there was too much melodrama....melodrama that stemmed from petty problems; characters were pretty lame + flaky and spontaneous character development. Basically, nothing really affected me.

Basically, it is one of those anime that tries to be "artistic" and deep, but is just mediocre and doesnt leave a lasting impression.

To top it all off, the art style and animation were not to my tastes.

Just saying that, Ping Pong is pretty dull to outsiders. As I played ping pong before, I think that i can see the beauty of the match.

This series deserve 10/10, and a deserved one (well, may vary to 9.5). But, it is not overrated compared to other sports manga.
Aug 12, 2014 2:06 PM
Jul 2014
Final episode was awesome. It tied up everything nicely. Didn't expect much in the beginning and watched it only because I saw the movie before. Ended up liking it more the movie. Excellent character development.
Aug 19, 2014 3:44 AM

Jan 2010
This was really such a wonderful, beautiful show. I felt like I was able to relate with just about every single character's struggles (especially since I played on my high school tennis team), and their development was portrayed fabulously.

The ending... it seemed like Peco was destined to win their match, and fittingly, he did. Which makes me wonder, can a person really change their outcomes?
shellybellAug 19, 2014 3:47 AM
Aug 23, 2014 9:00 PM

Feb 2010
That was the most refreshing show I've watched in a long time.
Aug 30, 2014 2:41 PM

Mar 2014
My 4th 10. Anime of the Decade type stuff.
Aug 30, 2014 5:57 PM

Jul 2013
Absolutely terrific series. Finished it yesterday and it was a joy to watch. The ending flashback to all the p,ayers as kids hit me in the feels a little bit. Im just waiting for the ost to be put up online...it really made the show for me. Its a 9/10 in my vote, I just wish there was more
Sep 2, 2014 6:24 AM

Jan 2012
ex ping pong player checking in...

decent overall 8/10
Sep 2, 2014 6:28 AM

Jun 2014
perfect execution
Sep 4, 2014 1:49 AM

Jul 2011
Unfortunately many people missed out on this. (Mainly due to seeing the art style and running away. )
I am glad to say this is a true masterpiece.

I know others might not agree, but this anime was outstanding to me. During the finale I was actually crying. I don't even cry during death's in anime, so this was kind of odd. Anyways, I loved this anime to death. And without any doubt I give it a 10/10.

I would also like to note I don't enjoy kuroko no basket or any other sports anime. The majority of them no matter how hyped up get me bored to death, therefore this ended up being the first sports anime ive actually watched all the way through. And I'm glad it is.
AidanTheGreatSep 4, 2014 1:54 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2014 5:32 PM
Jan 2013
What a way to end the anime. Great finale imo. The character development was nicely done. For a 11 episode series, that's saying something. I didn't feel Ping Pong was being too melodramatic. Some things were forced, but overall, great series none the less. 9/10.
Sep 16, 2014 9:45 AM

Jun 2011
Awesome series. I could actually do without knowing the result of their match, but still nice to know Peco won, and is in the national team now. Smile smiles a lot more now, and that's good, really good. Kong Wenge is getting better, eh. Poor Kazama, getting kicked out. Hopefully he'll make it back there, and maybe get back Yurie or something.. And Akuma, 3 kids.. lol..

Series ended on a high note, but episode felt a little underwhelming.

P.S. The art and animation direction during the Smile vs Peco match were stunning.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 20, 2014 5:48 PM

Sep 2014
I liked how it was less about winning and more about the love of the game.
Sep 26, 2014 8:43 AM

May 2013
Great anime. The outcome didn't matter. Just amazing.
Oct 12, 2014 2:35 AM

Oct 2013
I cry. Every time.

I was one of those people who almost dropped this because of the Art- and this is coming from a sports anime fan.

Now I cry every single time I rewatch this.

Every time.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Oct 16, 2014 11:52 AM

Jun 2012
So I've always been wondering, Smile is visiting his old coach, Smile says he likes it when someone says he could be an amazing athlete, summer is starting; things will get lively and the show ends with a hopeful upbeat tune. Is smile gonna play again?
Oct 21, 2014 2:46 PM

Sep 2011
Riiken said:
So I've always been wondering, Smile is visiting his old coach, Smile says he likes it when someone says he could be an amazing athlete, summer is starting; things will get lively and the show ends with a hopeful upbeat tune. Is smile gonna play again?
no he isnt, he will still play as a coach and for fun though but not as a professional player

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 29, 2014 3:58 AM

Apr 2012
I had my hopes Smile would win, and Hero's injury would force him to forfeit, but I see the thrill of the game, and perhaps the painkillers, made it possible for Hoshino to surpass his friend.

The relations between the characters, as well as the ping-pong games themselves, were executed very well, at least from my perspective of a very amateur ping-pong player. Watching ping-pong games in the anime was considerably slower than it feels when you watch real players, and considerably faster than when you are the one who plays, but it doesn't matter.
The strikes were powerful, and the last battle between "Tin Man" and "Kamen Rider Skyrider" was a worthy finale for the show. The climax, as I felt it, was the moment Tsukimoto rushed to the right to hit the ball, and out of his clad robot armor broke away to jump and hit it, crashing down, Hoshino shouting for his opponent, returning the ball that soared through the air, and Tsukimoto sprinting back to counter it. The Hero theme blending right after the dramatic "human moment" Tsukimoto experiences makes this very pleasant for my ears.

Didn't expect him to become a teacher, but I guess that's a side to his supposed lack of emotions at the beginning, or perhaps a quality of growing up. Either way, I'm glad they rewrote the ping-pong legend from 50 years back, and that Tsukimoto puts up a real smile on the podium. That detail shows how content he is from his "defeat". Meanwhile, Hoshino is pretending to be a frog.

The date on the picture shows 14/6/2020. I didn't realize they were that far into the future, or at the very least, it seems futuristic Japan hasn't changed by a lot, and that's fine by me, the sights in the anime were great, I wouldn't want them to change any time soon.

The visuals did scare me in the beginning, and I too thought it was just some kind of weak hipster show, but after watching a short clip of Kong and Hoshino's first match, I was hooked up.
A real part of the visual experience is not the drawing itself, but the camera angle, which constantly changes, and the ever changing color palettes.
MoonJumpOct 29, 2014 4:06 AM

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!
Nov 5, 2014 7:41 AM
Oct 2007
ToG25thBaam said:
Series ended on a high note, but episode felt a little underwhelming.

P.S. The art and animation direction during the Smile vs Peco match were stunning.

This.

Brilliant show no doubt!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2014 12:50 PM

Jun 2007
Damnn! This anime was greatly executed. So many feels.. and those animation sequences were great. Loved all of the characters. Soundtrack was awesome and the ending was very satisfying. Respect!
Nov 19, 2014 5:47 PM

May 2012
Pretty awesome last episode I must say, quite action filled and a pretty good way to end of the series! All in all a pretty good anime.
Nov 22, 2014 4:53 PM

Apr 2009
At first i misjudged this anime by its art. I'm glad i give it a try and finished all eleven eposides in a row. 9/10
Dec 13, 2014 6:29 PM

Dec 2011
Great anime. Watching it was a unique experience.
Dec 14, 2014 5:22 PM

Jun 2009
Excellent first 9 episodes marred by a horrible episode 10 and a very, very mediocre episode 11. Yeah, let's let the guy with the fucked knee win the tournament vs the current world champion in the semi-finals and a guy who is definitely better in the finals because the creator wants a FEEL GOOD ENDING where MC-kun and MC-kun's friend get to do battle and smile and other bullshit. Fuck that.

7/10, would be 9/10.
Dec 16, 2014 3:44 PM

Jan 2013
I finally watch another anime where I have to stop and think about it for some time. It's been a while since this has happened actually.

I literally have no major complaints about this show. The animation, music, and voice acting were all excellent. The story develops well and for 11 episodes, we know enough about the characters and their backgrounds to see where they're coming from and gives insight into why they act the way they do. The way we can compare the "older gen" of the coaches and newer with Smile, Peco, and Kazama made for an even better story.

Love what Yuuasa did with this. As usual, his works are incredible.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Dec 23, 2014 8:50 AM

Jul 2013
watched it all in one sitting literally couldn't stop
what an amazing sports anime
Dec 23, 2014 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
Was pretty good.

10/10
A Meme a Day Keeps the Noose Away
Dec 26, 2014 2:11 PM

Nov 2013
This is a good series, but an 8/10 from me. Became really predictable in the last 4-5 episodes. Still was definitely worth a watch. A lot of emotional parts make it a great show.
Dec 30, 2014 5:20 PM

Aug 2010
Despite this anime being only 11 episodes it felt like a journey. Watching shows like these reminds me why I watch and love anime.

Really liked how they showed the future of all the characters. Wenge made the olympics! Glad he's doing so well and same to Peco.

Overall a final score of 8.5/10
Dec 31, 2014 3:32 PM
Mar 2013
I scanned this thread, but nobody that I could see complained about the following.

I gave the show a 9/10.
Dec 31, 2014 4:59 PM
Jun 2008
Only...it didn't.

Recall the conversation Joe had with Smile when he tells him something akin to "With you doing what I couldn't to my friend [attacking the weak point of his knee], you are already the greatest player in my mind Mr. Tsukimoto."
Jan 1, 2015 7:43 AM

Nov 2013
Perifferol said:
I scanned this thread, but nobody that I could see complained about the following.

I'm pretty sure Smile told his coach that he does intend to exploit his knee weakness, but he previously said that heroes have no weaknesses. That and his other speeches pretty much told me that what he meant by that, is that even if he did try his best and exploited that weakness, he knew that Peco would come out on top regardless.

And we saw this when they started their match. Smile was giving his best too during the match. So it's a slightly different scenario from their coaches' history.
Jan 2, 2015 11:44 PM

Apr 2009
kinda sad that smile isn't playing pro. he easily could have been in the national team.
Jan 3, 2015 4:09 PM
Mar 2013
Hm, interesting Wind_Falcon that you refer me to that line where the coach praises Smile, right after Smile states that he will attempt to exploit the knee. I had forgotten about the coach's continuing advice for Smile to play to win. That interpretation at least offers a rationale, from the Smile/coach side.

Handsomeman, I suppose one could very well just accept that the situation is not the same as in the previous generation. But, I feel like the show yanked us around. Many times, characters, including Peco, state that the knee is in quite bad shape. This naturally asks the viewer to consider the question--what will Smile do? OK, we know that he tried to exploit the knee.

What are the consequences? None. Nothing happens. That is what it means to "pull a punch," storywise. No?
PerifferolJan 3, 2015 7:13 PM
Jan 3, 2015 5:07 PM

Aug 2014
What a great anime. This final episode wrapped up the series so well. I loved the character development for this series so much. I felt like these were some of the most interesting and well written characters I've seen in an anime for a while. This is now one of my favorite anime and most likely, until I finish Jojo's Stardust Crusaders, probably the best anime of 2014. I'm so glad there were so many people out there recommending this anime and vouching for it because I almost didn't watch this anime because I hadn't heard quite enough praise for it but I am so glad I did. That final match was sooo well done, the animation, the music, the build-up throughout the whole series, and the fast and exciting nature of that match. It's amazing how great an anime can be with just 11 episodes.

berserker15Jan 3, 2015 5:11 PM
Jan 3, 2015 5:12 PM

Nov 2007
Overwhelming really! One of the top three anime of 2014 alongside Hunter x Hunter and Uchuu Kyoudai.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 4, 2015 5:38 AM

Aug 2008
The part where Kong Wenge make it to Olympic,is that anime original? I skip to last chapter of the manga but can't find that part. Or did I miss out something?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 5, 2015 1:08 AM

Nov 2013
Nice way to end the anime though I don't think this anime is NEARLY as good as people are making it out to be.

9/10 for this episode

7/10 for the series

Jan 6, 2015 6:49 PM

Dec 2012
BigBoyBreeches said:
Was pretty good.

10/10
Jan 14, 2015 4:52 PM

Jan 2014
the hero is coming.. best anime of 2014.. while hxh is the greatest shonen anime of all time.
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

310 by minami6 »»
May 13, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2014

140 by SHS13 »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.