Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
May 5, 2018 6:34 AM

Aug 2008
Everything in this show was rather nonsensical and thinly developed. Had gotten more and more annoyed with each passing episode. Nothing really resolved with the government lady escaping with data on Bloomers. Alphard surviving? Absurd. With an ending like a redemption? With all the people she killed? I think not. Canaan has to stay away for some stupid 'dramatic' reason? Dumb, no reason can't stay close to her friend. This was a rewatch and years ago when I first watched this I actually liked this anime, gave it an 8. Don't know what I was thinking, distracted by the gunfights? The stylish look of it? Average at best, don't know if I'll be able to get this to a 5 even
Nov 2, 2018 11:58 AM

Feb 2015
Happy End... more or less.
Dec 8, 2019 3:00 PM

May 2017
Need a sequel, Alphard is still out there.
Mar 4, 2020 5:02 PM

Nov 2019
Alphard surviving that fall is truly a mystery lmao. 4/10
Jun 1, 2020 8:56 AM

Jun 2012
So this anime is a weird one. It somehow managed to become infinitely more popular than the VN it's a sequel to, especially in the west. This 2009 anime even got a dub, but the game it's related to didn't even come out in the west until like 9 years later. If I had to guess, 99.9%+ of western viewers (and a decent % of Japanese ones too probably) watched this without playing 428: Shibuya Scramble (or reading the Canaan side story in that game that more directly spawned this anime).

And because this anime is more sequel than adaption a lot of things are unexplained (a common complaint about this anime as a stand alone product), and less importantly some references (like the cat head Maria wore) go over peoples heads. I had heard of this anime before playing 428, but wasn't interested enough to watch until afterwards. So I kind of of stumbled ass first into the amazingly rare feat of doing things in order.

It's also weird to think about from the production end. I have to imagine they banked on it having a wide appeal (certainly wider than the untranslated niche-ish Wii game it's based on), and it having a "guns and explosions" aesthetic does help it get western appeal compared to a more cutesy anime. But then despite it expecting (and essentially needing) the wider appeal a lot of things that happened in this anime seemed to assume the viewers had played the game. There were small flashbacks of the game route (on the train where Alphard killed Siam) to give the bare minimum context, but not much beyond that.

Anyways I give this anime denied yuri pairings/10.
Jul 2, 2022 8:19 PM
Jan 2022
I'll be honest, I'm completely lost with what happened. I think I had trouble following the anime. What a bittersweet ending with so many loose ends. Shame it didn't get a second season or a spinoff.
Aug 22, 2022 12:35 PM
Aug 2022
For anyone still wondering why Alphard killed Siam, check out Canaan's bonus scene from 428 Shibuya Scramble. First we have to understand the importance of names in the series. In 428, Siam introduces the new Canaan (white hair) to his old Canaan (Alphard who at this time is going by the name Sadaqah). There's a bit of tension but [Alphard] shelves it for the moment. Later before Alphard kills Siam, he gives her the name Alphard which accepts and uses from then on. Even after death Siam, still has a hold over her.

Indeed, Alphard shoots her arm off to cut all ties from him in the final episode proving her desire to be rid of his ghost rather than continue fighting with an unarmed Canaan. At this point, Alphard had taken up to calling Canaan by the nickname "Despair", based on Siam's words of the powerless feeling one has when one is fighting a superhuman. As a child, Siam told Alphard that she is "right at the limit" meaning she is at the peak of a normal human's abilities. In other words Canaan (a synesthesia UA virus surviving superhuman) is at the top of her game and Alphard has no hope of beating her. Sure it's a bit of fantasy but this is anime. Also for those wondering how she survives: she landed in the water below and probably used her suspenders as a tourniquet.

So now, why did Alphard kill Siam? She says so in episode 12, if Canaan were not there she "might" not have killed Siam. I'm pretty sure it was just plain jealousy. Alphard had been out in the world proving herself as a professional saboteur and assassin so she could come back and show her father figure Siam how good she'd become and here he is with a new girl who has her grandiose name. You can tell each time Alphard brings up the name that she's bitter that Canaan uses it.
Jul 9, 2023 12:11 PM

Nov 2010
The feels when Minoru visited Santana's bar. It really sucks, indeed! I thought he'd bring back home a waifu in the end. Hakkoh had a great ass!

It's too bad Canaan, and Maria separated just like that. I wish they could've said their farewells face to face.
Cummings became a monk to move on. That's a good idea.
The song that played at the end was good!
The last two episodes dragged, IMO. They kept monologuing about being someone's light and friend, etc. I got the message already!
Oct 17, 2023 2:03 PM
Jul 2020
didnt enjoy this show much, it had potential but feels like it lacked something.. this last episode was actually pretty decent and the anime got a good ending. this quote by Maria Osawa is now stuck in my brain as i somehow relate very much with: "I thought that instead of thinking everything around me is amazing, Í´d have to become amazing myself".
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Sep 19, 2009

129 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 11:36 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Sep 12, 2009

160 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 10:47 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Sep 5, 2009

142 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 9:56 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 29, 2009

91 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 8:20 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 22, 2009

106 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 7:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.