Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Fable
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 8:02 AM

Feb 2013
I like it so far. Different from other anime I have watched.
Apr 7, 8:05 AM
Dec 2014
I got introduced to Fable through the movie. That was good. Read manga then. That was even better. Now I am here. They got good voice actors. I hope the studio do justice to this awesome series.
It have a slow pace in start but with time the series get amazing.
Apr 7, 9:26 AM

Nov 2020
Pretty disappointing premiere. It just feels lifeless.
Apr 7, 10:19 AM

Apr 2022
That overly slow monotone voice and pacing made even the exciting scenes excruciatingly boring
Apr 7, 10:28 AM
Nov 2018
It looks interesting but I'm not sure I can stand the way these 2 speak, good lord...
Apr 7, 12:27 PM

May 2018
Now that was fun, I am really digging the humour. Miyuki Sawashiro doing the gangster chick voice is the best part.
Apr 7, 2:40 PM

Aug 2019
honestly surprised to see the replies on this thread, I really did like this episode and Akira’s transition from his deadpan expression to laughing his ass off while watching his show or when “flipping his switch” I thought was actually pretty funny; I guess the animation is a little subpar compared to most shows nowadays but it isn’t that big of a dealbreaker for me
Apr 7, 3:58 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to snowykevin
honestly surprised to see the replies on this thread, I really did like this episode and Akira’s transition from his deadpan expression to laughing his ass off while watching his show or when “flipping his switch” I thought was actually pretty funny; I guess the animation is a little subpar compared to most shows nowadays but it isn’t that big of a dealbreaker for me
@snowykevin

People probably have higher expectations for such a popular manga. The production is ok. Sure, it could be better, but it's far from a deal breaker in this case.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 7, 8:40 PM
Feb 2021
First episode was mid imo...VAs are quality, but it felt like they were doing too much to convey humor by tone. I think more deadpan delivery would have been better...OP/ED were really good. I'm gonna give this one the old 3-episode rule.
Apr 7, 9:27 PM

Oct 2015
Reply to IzanaSolos
Five years after its conclusion, the renowned manga by Katsuhisa Minami is at last receiving an anime adaptation. I'm relieved that it's being aired on Disney+/Hulu this time, as it might deter people from seeing the disappointment that this adaptation seems to be.

ALI and Hannya's OP is passable enough, neither bad nor good, while UmedaCypher's ED is also passable.

Akira Satou, also known as Fable, is a renowned hitman with a long list of successful assignments for various clients. However, after completing his latest job, the body count raises concerns, prompting his boss to order him to lay low for a year. It's suggested that experiencing life as an ordinary citizen could be beneficial for his future work. But for someone like Akira, accustomed to the life of a legendary hitman, blending in as a regular person poses unexpected challenges. In fact, being forbidden from taking any lives for a while might just be Akira's toughest assignment yet.

The original manga is known for being funny, and the bad animation actually makes it even funnier to me. I don't get it, though. If the gun is legal, the bullet mark can be traced back to it, but since it's illegal, why change it every time? Anyway, he's really good at his job, leaving no trace, not even from the gun—a mistake many killers make. It must be tough for a professional killer to adjust to normal life. I like how he's secretly guiding the car vandals.

As for Fable, he's got a year's worth of holidays, but it seems like there might be some problems with the adaptation... Once again, Tezuka Productions is adapting another beloved manga. However, this time it might actually work out for them. Let's wait and see.
IzanaSolos said:
I don't get it, though. If the gun is legal, the bullet mark can be traced back to it, but since it's illegal, why change it every time?

Not an expert or anything but I think I can answer this based on what I've picked up from watching TV. If the police have the bullet, they can do forensic analysis on it to narrow down the range, or even zero in on, the model of gun being used. Additionally the forensics can also tell which specific gun fired a specific bullet. Bullet A from AK-47 #1 will have some differences between it and Bullet B from AK-47 #2, even if Bullet A and Bullet B were "identical" before being fired. So once they have a potential murder weapon they fire another bullet from it in a lab to compare with what they recovered to rule on if it matches or not, to be used as evidence in court.

This let's them pre-identify the murder weapon to (at least?) some degree based on just the bullet, if the gun is legal there may be a record of it's "firing signature" (not sure what it is actually called but let's go with that for now) in their database, and then they can track the suspect down via following the serial number of the gun. If the gun is illegal they probably cant figure out which specific gun, or if they can, can't follow the serial number to lead them to the criminal. But they do still collect the "firing signature" and will see that the same weapon was used in another crime if it is used again, leaving a trail of bread crumbs.

If all that makes any sense anyways, again just got that from TV mostly so if any of it is wrong don't hold me to it.
Apr 7, 9:39 PM

Sep 2021
Liked this one more than I expected. Quite a funny premiere! Fable and his GPS girl are already perfect siblings, their boss knew what he was doing.
Apr 8, 1:05 AM
Nov 2016
Well damn, they really don't even try. The art style is weird, Yoko's and Akira's Voice Actor's don't fit at all. Yoko looks waaaaaay better in the manga. The Osaka boss looks completely different.

Still watching it tho. The Fable manga was fucking awesome.
Apr 8, 4:06 AM

Apr 2020
I like the Art-Style.
It's a bit more down to earth, then most Anime and I like the jaded, real world look.

Don't care about the Manga much. This is funny and I like the little Seinen bits, beeing mixed with the otherwise absurd/hilarious Story.
Apr 8, 6:18 AM

Dec 2009
I love the manga but this lacked something. Youko's design is too generic and the pacing is a bit too slow but even putting that aside...
Apr 8, 8:46 AM

Oct 2011
Seems interesting for now, I'm in love with MC design and his slow way of speaking.
The ending song kinda slaps.
Apr 8, 10:30 AM
Jul 2023
the first episode was meh. the vibe I got from the synopsis made me think The Fable wouldn't take itself seriously, but it looks like it will. there were some comedic moments, but I was mostly just bored. I'll give the plot some time to cook, but this is primed for me to drop it as of now.
Apr 8, 1:03 PM
Sep 2014
I don't know, maybe it gets better, but this first episode was quite bland. I don't feel any emotional attachment to any characters, it's like a boring manzai act. I'll probably enjoy it eventually when it picks up the pace.
Apr 8, 3:09 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
This episode went by very quickly for me even though I had to watch it with ads. The soundtrack is really good and the anime really did a good job showing how unhinged Akira can be when he's not a hitman. Trying to get Akira to live a normal life for one year is easier said than done.

Think of The Fable as a slightly darker version of City Hunter with some deadpan humor.
Apr 9, 7:14 AM
Jan 2016
Shits funnier in animation, what can i say?
Apr 9, 3:21 PM
Oct 2023
The first ep of The Fable felt endearing in a way that I wasn’t really expecting. Most of the opinions I read on it highlighted the less than stellar animation and dark contrast, but to me this feels extremely authentic to the source material.

Both the art style and animation look like they’ve been ripped straight out of 2016, but I think it works wonders for conveying the dark gritty nature of this series, something that’s also very evident in the tone of the VAs.

All in all I think this will be a faithful adaptation, and could still prove exciting for people who haven’t read the manga.
Apr 10, 5:12 AM

Aug 2022
Interesting! Why 6 score?
Apr 10, 6:27 AM
May 2020
lying low for a year.i've heard good things about this manga so I hope the anime delivers. a pretty chill and nonchalant first episode if I do say so myself
Apr 10, 4:56 PM
Sep 2022
having read the manga i know the story is already going to be amazing

I'm worried that the anime won't do it justice but I did enjoy episode one. the art is not great but I'm really hoping the story shines through
Apr 10, 9:57 PM

Oct 2021
everyone....speaks...soooo...sloooowly

and the scenes drag on for way too long, feels like they're trying to fill the time with unnecessary dialogue
Apr 11, 3:40 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Softhenic03
The biggest concern actually isn’t something related to source, but is actually of studio’s. Their recent track record doesn’t speak much to give assurance, but hey, here they are, not even trying to better that reputation. I mean look at the colours and character designs lol.

Music does seem good, I mean that’s the least they could do tbh, when they are not putting much effort in other things. Our main man, Fable did get his introduction, and have to say, that was one bloody way to introduce someone lol. Those guys didn’t even get a chance to defend themselves, so that kinda speaks volumes about this man’s skills, who despite being as uninterested as one could be, still knows how to entertain himself, and that just to be clear, is not by killing someone lol.

Liked how they were told to discontinue killing for a year and live a normal life all of a sudden, which could be the hardest thing ever, looking at this man, and his supposed-to-be sister. Though this is where the fun would be, and it is going to be one very long journey at that.

Decent enough first episode, but man, someone has to do something about the dimness whenever there’s a night segment around.
@Softhenic03 Their recent track record doesn’t speak much to give assurance...
Pluto and Under Ninja. Opinions are like, everyone has one.
Apr 11, 4:41 AM

Jan 2021
This is... too slow... but strangely I'm not bored

Apr 11, 5:29 AM

Feb 2014
Mediocre animation, there's also audio lag. Still, I am curious on that the story holds, even though I have 0 expectations
Apr 11, 10:12 PM

Oct 2022
I wasn't expecting much but this actually looks good.

refreshing to see something more adult.
Apr 12, 4:55 PM
Nov 2021
I like the concept and the main character seems funny, but I dont know if the overall humor will be to my liking, first episode was good overall.
Apr 13, 8:28 PM

Dec 2016
xdiesp said:
Pluto and Under Ninja.

Tezuka wasn't the studio animation for Pluto, they were the producers (as in the ones in charge of getting the right people to do the real work)

I didn't watch Under Ninja because it looked like a turd. But the people that did claimed that aside from a few episodes the animation was terribly cardboard level and they watched it just for the random lulz not because it was cohesive as a story.
Apr 16, 10:23 AM
Feb 2015
the MC really scares me, even in normal conversations he scares me like he's gonna do some batshit crazy thing, he's perfect 😂
Apr 16, 3:03 PM
Feb 2022
Reply to Kimurah
xdiesp said:
Pluto and Under Ninja.

Tezuka wasn't the studio animation for Pluto, they were the producers (as in the ones in charge of getting the right people to do the real work)

I didn't watch Under Ninja because it looked like a turd. But the people that did claimed that aside from a few episodes the animation was terribly cardboard level and they watched it just for the random lulz not because it was cohesive as a story.
@Kimurah That's the dumbest thing you could have said. You pick your shows from social and antagonize them personally, nitpicking animation when you're actually just expressing antipathy like a child. Don't waste everybody's time and leave.
Apr 17, 2:27 PM

Mar 2008
A little dull through a lot of this. I will stick around to see some more before judging, I like the concept enough and the art style isn't bad.
Apr 19, 5:48 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to el_morris
Is this good? Because it bored me, or I was wrong expecting something as funny as The Way of the House Husband?
@el_morris Well, it is funny. But it is not satire. It's serious when it's supposed to be, in a way that's not forced or contrived. And the comedy isn't contrived either, like in many - almost all anime.
Apr 19, 6:36 PM

May 2015
A bit too slow for my liking and bland animation. Enjoyed the voice acting though. The premise is interesting, so I'm going to give it some more episodes.
May 2, 2:23 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Still too early to get a grasp on it, but for now yeah this seems like it's gonna be a good time.

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 11, 5:28 PM

Aug 2014
I know it is not anime fault, but is this translator Brian Athey retarded or something?...
by translating the sounds he ruins the whole show.. wtf is wrong with this person... he didn't even translate OP/ED or put lyrics in romaji..

anyway.. the anime got ok art, but so far is nothing great, beside having adult cast.. looks like wasted potential instead of making anime about mafia they make something kinda isekai about killer who gonna try living normal life?..

This will be likely another failed comedy slice of life, because it is ok to watch but nothing funny at all..
his Osaka dialect should be funny, but instead it is just plain.. they could at least make simple Boke and tsukkomi manzai..but instead they made him slow and stupid both..
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Fable Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18

23 by fujiwaratakumi86 »»
Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Poll: » The Fable Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 27

41 by _Geko_ »»
May 21, 4:59 PM

Poll: » The Fable Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

62 by SonnaBaka »»
May 21, 5:14 AM

» Hype

Ruskimeister - Jul 16, 2023

14 by notPara »»
May 19, 9:27 AM

Poll: » The Fable Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 11

44 by BetaMaleUltra »»
May 19, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.