Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 16, 10:38 PM

Jun 2023
Fengxian’s still at the Verdigris bedridden, Lakan lost the bet and he’s back in the Verdigris.

You can’t just leave it there!!
lingojkMar 16, 10:46 PM
Mar 16, 11:21 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to HyperlinkBlocked
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
If Lakan and Maomom had "loving" consensual baby making then why was he gleefully reminiscing about wanting to sexually assault her to Jinshi? Just trolling? Cause at this point it's not a plot twist. It's just the author lying to the audience.

After all the work the show put into making him seem shady as fuck, I'm going to consider all of this a retcon.

_Sanchay said:
how did she actually get syphilis? by sleeping with others?

Yes. She was forced to become a common prostitute after getting pregnant.
@HyperlinkBlocked The gramps is the true evil all along:
- Forcing the courtesan to sleep with random customer.
- Not letting Lakan see Maomao and her mother
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Mar 16, 11:25 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to Dukino
I'm going to preface this by saying that if anyone defends Lakan after this episode I will personally wring their neck!!! Lakan is a heartless bastard who deserves only ridicule and shame!! He slept with Maomao mom knowing what would happen after he did. I don't care about how he was forced away by his father for three years. Lakan set Maomao mom down this disastrous path!! If he hadn't have slept with her in that moment so many hardships she faced wouldn't have happened. He got her pregnant which lowered her value and forced her to sleep with lesser clients which made her get a horrible diseases that has now ravished her body and mind. Maomao could've lived with her mother peacefully but nope Lakan destroyed any hope of that. I wish Maomao had actually poisoned the glasses during their five game bet. Lakan deserves to be punished for his horrible treatment of those around him. I hope either Jinshi or Maomao herself puts this wild dog down.
@Dukino Fengxian is the one who initiate the intercourse. Without her consent, Lakan would never think about sleeping with her. Both are blinded by love. Don't know the consequences of their action.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Mar 16, 11:54 PM
Jan 2024
From hating lakan with all we had, to just pitying him and feeling bad is a huge change for us..
And then there's maomao with a mortar and pestle 🤣
Mar 16, 11:58 PM

Aug 2018
Amazing episode. All of the previous episodes of her looking at her sick mom with pity and a sort of sadness while sitting there and contemplating. And the strong feelings about her Dad with how much she really doesn't like him. It all culminates in her doing this for them to reunite them, since I am guessing Lakan was probably too ashamed to see Fengxian on his own? Maomao is a good person, I love her. I hope to see how she is feeling and what she is thinking, maybe in the next episode.
Mar 17, 12:02 AM
♆ Devil

Feb 2024
Another episode where they abandoned what was great about the first 19 episodes... a little romance and cuteness, and a mystery,
E 20 and beyond is just meh, with less than 5% romance per episode and 0 mystery.

Can't talk about source material, so, bleh

Life Comes In A Wide Variety Of Flavors ~ Makima
Mar 17, 12:17 AM

May 2015
Lakan reminds me of my dad lol
Mar 17, 12:21 AM
Aug 2021
Maomao sure inherited a lot of traits from Lakan. Whether it's her shrewdness, level-headed, or seemingly emotionless personality. In that game of chess, she used an underhanded tactic (& we love her for it). His mistake was being too naive now and back then.
This story really makes me feel depress for women of the time. You can say that brothel was much better than most, but in the end, women's value in that place is still being measured by their body. Lankan f-up big time, but it's Maomao and her mother who suffered for it. I'm guessing her adopted father is Lankan's uncle? That would explain so much.
Anyways, I'm excited for the finale & ready to dive in the light novel.
Mar 17, 1:03 AM
Sep 2021
They changed it a bit from the manga. During their chess match, in the manga she puts a mix of salt and sugar in the drinks, for the alcohol to be absorbed faster by the organism, and Lakan said it tasted salty before passing out. Also I don't see how drinking 3 cups can act as a deadly poison, and Maomao says that even a mouthful is enough. But I haven't read the LN so I don't know which version is the canon one.
Mar 17, 1:11 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
@Embient @Weeb_Isekai

kizumi91Mar 17, 1:17 AM
Mar 17, 1:21 AM
Nov 2021
OH MY GOD THIS SHOW. The writing is incredible
Mar 17, 1:55 AM
Oct 2019
Finally Maomao mother, Fengxian.
So Beautiful and Gorgeous.

Damn they actually love each other.
😭
I am sad now.

Next week already the Season Finale.
No spoilers on the preview, hopefully we gonna get a lot of surprised.
davidyodo24Mar 17, 1:58 AM
Mar 17, 2:06 AM
Oct 2021
I TOTALLY MISJUDGED LAKAN-

That backstory was so tragic :(
Mar 17, 2:16 AM
Sep 2016
A Princess Bride style Russian Roulette! Maomao v Lakan!

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that Luomen is supposed to be Maomao's granduncle, and that Meimei is Fengxian's motto-kamuro. Yep, the world of Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is small indeed.

Next EP: conclusion to SE01, as well as poor Meimei....
uncleqrowMar 17, 2:22 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Mar 17, 2:28 AM
Mar 2021
very good anime i love
Mar 17, 4:01 AM
Jun 2023
Noelle43 said:
@Miyamotodex23 Oh maybe I did take it in the wrong way lol, but definitely not as an attack! I do think the grip of past patriarchy is slipping in developed countries, but as always when it comes to social progress in a short frame of time... there's a conservative pushback. The USA is currently experiencing an attack of women's rights (namely the right to a safe abortion) in the name of "good christian american values" but the underlying motive is to control women (force them into the sole role of motherhood even if it's unwanted). I believe some states have made abortion 100% illegal, even if the pregnancy is the result of sexual assault or the pregnancy puts the mother's life at risk. Just goes to prove that the patriarchy here is still well and alive, I guess.

I'll never want to diminish the struggles men face, but you're right... being the target of harassment and assault is an all-too-common experience for women. I won't say I personally experience it on the daily, but as you might expect, I too have stories to tell. All the power to you for acknowledging this issue. Opening a conversation around it will always be the first step towards change.

Cheers to all the strong women and supportive men out there!

Oh! those religious fascists are the same everywhere ,they never change .

I still think that except some misogynism/misandry across both genders,quite a lot are supportive to each other especially in big cities, stuff like gender wars are kinda exaggerated on platforms like twitter. gen z are really fighting for lgbtq and equality ,noticed it among a lot of my peers.

It wa nice to share some thoughts with you fellow internet stranger:)
Miyamotodex23Mar 17, 4:06 AM
Mar 17, 4:30 AM

Jan 2021
I forgot if this has been mentioned or not in the previous episode, if it has then I'm sorry for forgetting but if it hasn't then I would like to ask, does Lakan not know that Fengxian is alive? Would he buy her if he knew?

Honestly though this is annoying but I have to admit that Lakan is really smart and a great strategist. His game with Maomao could have actually worked in his favor if only Maomao didn't know that Lakan can't drink alcohol... but yeah, Maomao must have known his weakness before asking him to duel... I mean like, Maomao is his daughter, their "uniqueness" is weirdly similar (but definitely not the same) hahah.

It's kind of funny to see his tone of voice change when talking to Maomao or about Maomao. Tbh it's kinda creepy lol but I think he probably really does love Maomao as his daughter. At least after this episode I will believe that Lakan really loves Fengxian as a person and a woman.

The next episode is about Jinshi and Maomao!!! Aaaah. It's sad that next week everything will end...

Mar 17, 4:57 AM
Sep 2021
Lakan's backstory & how Lakan meets Maomao's mom, their story was finally revealed. Excited for the season finale.
Mar 17, 4:58 AM
Oct 2015
I was really surprised because the build up had me think Lakan was some horrible person who raped a woman or something, but no he's just a loner who was put in an unfortunate situation (aka sent abroad for 3 years: he could hardly say to his dad hey don't send me because I like playing Go & Chess with a prostitute). At the same time I understand why Maomao's mum was angry because her life turned upside down because they had sex. That being said Lakan clearly lacked the emotional intelligence to get his letters redirected to him whilst he was away; although he did think that he would only be gone 6 months.
Mar 17, 5:32 AM
Nov 2019
Reply to Dukino
I'm going to preface this by saying that if anyone defends Lakan after this episode I will personally wring their neck!!! Lakan is a heartless bastard who deserves only ridicule and shame!! He slept with Maomao mom knowing what would happen after he did. I don't care about how he was forced away by his father for three years. Lakan set Maomao mom down this disastrous path!! If he hadn't have slept with her in that moment so many hardships she faced wouldn't have happened. He got her pregnant which lowered her value and forced her to sleep with lesser clients which made her get a horrible diseases that has now ravished her body and mind. Maomao could've lived with her mother peacefully but nope Lakan destroyed any hope of that. I wish Maomao had actually poisoned the glasses during their five game bet. Lakan deserves to be punished for his horrible treatment of those around him. I hope either Jinshi or Maomao herself puts this wild dog down.
@Dukino She started it. Lakan is responsible, of course, but so is Feingxa, and more than he is.

She invited him into bed, even if him accepted. This was completely consentual. Lakan didn't act wrongly in the slightest.

When he came back, his first reaction once he learnt what happened was to look for her. He wasn't allowed to see her. So yeah, hard to blame Lakan in this situation.

He's still twisted, but he has a reason to. I don't think he wants to ridiculice or belittle Maomao in the slightest, he actually cares about her, in her own way. She's the only person (along with Feingxa) who he actually sees the face of.
Mar 17, 6:59 AM
Jul 2016
brilliant episode
Mar 17, 7:15 AM

Jun 2016
omg this episode is so so deepp!!!
like a rollercoaster holly goat
Mar 17, 8:09 AM

Oct 2012
I dislike the Madam now. She is the reason Mamoa's Mother ended up like that.
Mar 17, 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
I felt bad for him :/

.·:*¨ 𝕾𝖊𝖙 𝕸𝖊 𝕱𝖗𝖊𝖊 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟬:𝟱𝟱 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟯:𝟮𝟲
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Mar 17, 8:29 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to kizumi91
@Embient @Weeb_Isekai

@kizumi91 I live for stuff like this. Respect. Thank you so much!
You should create a separate topic with this, seriously.
Mar 17, 10:09 AM
Jan 2019
The fact that Lakan does recognize Maomao face prove that she is worthy for his attention. Which proves he actually cares about her daughter after all.

It’s nothing but a tragedy.
Mar 17, 10:38 AM
Oct 2023
I think the ways characters try to outsmart each other is pretty cool in this series, I hope they keep up with it.
Mar 17, 11:10 AM

Jul 2017
The confrontation of father and daughter over a game of Chinese Chess, Lakan and Maomao put their bets forth on this typical but important game. Of course, knowing Maomao, she would make this a death game by incorporating poison into the mix of alcohol, though this is not enough to shake the invincible strategist, and definitely something which Maomao is confident that her ingestion of poison (if she really does or not) will not falter her.

The weakness of Lakan...it's not poison, but alcohol. And the misdemeanor of him not being able to recognize people, his uncle eventually taught him to see people as Chess pieces, using his intelligence to his advantage. That is until he meets Fengxian of the Verdigris House, the talented and undefeated Go and chess player, the face like a balsam player, and popularity skyrocketing like gold for the dilettantes to purchase her, and pertinent to woodsorrel a.k.a Cat's foot to ease sensitive bites. And when it came time for the news about her purchase, she grants Lakan one more game, and choosing Go...may be their biggest and worst mistake ever, having feelings for each other in the process. With familial percussions in the down after the ousting of his uncle, Fengxian's buyout fell through, and 3 months...turned 6, to 3 whole years, her leaving a small finger in the bag, she had purposely cut herself in order to secure the baby in her stomach, which would become Maomao. The short-sighted strategist had reduced the love of his life to practically nothing, as Maomao knew it would be.

The blue rose from earlier last episode, a gift from his daughter, it was certainly a shotgun approach.

But Lakan, he really got the short end of the stick for everything in his life, it's just unfortunate.
Mar 17, 11:52 AM

May 2020
Another amazing episode
kinda feel bad for Lakan
turns out he wasn't as bad as it seemed
cant wait for the final next week

Mar 17, 12:55 PM

Oct 2012
Cried again but also feeling satisfaction reading everyone's comments realize they're initial thoughts on Lakan were wrong. Last ep and more on their story next ep, I'm not ready T_T
Mar 17, 1:05 PM

Sep 2014
The situation seems more complicated than I first thought.
It would have been way easier just to hate Lakan, but he doesnt seem to have done anything malicious. Curious why the granny hides Fengxian from him though.

I guess his shocked face back when Maomao rushed into the ceremony was because he was legimately concerned about her.

Also is Maomaos dad her uncle?!
Comander-07Mar 17, 1:16 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 17, 1:20 PM

May 2018
Damn that backstory was quite strong . Now we know more about Fengxian , wonder what takes place

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Mar 17, 1:38 PM
Jul 2017
woah!! the tactician wasn't a bad guy and it was all a misunderstanding and blah blah blah

such a bad twist lmao, this story became pretty bad and went to worse
Mar 17, 2:23 PM
Jul 2015
Spoiler: Well, now we know lankan uncle is mamao’s steph father. Is so odd to think about. I hope we got to see the drama and why the uncle gets kicked out of the rear Pallas and maybe if the odds are with us. He switched som baby’s under way 😅

I have re-watch the series 4 times. And I’m so glad in this show!
Mar 17, 5:38 PM

Apr 2018
Reply to brightdeadthings
I was feeling guilty for liking Maomao’s father since I assumed he was a bad guy. Happy to find out that wasn’t exactly the case and I can keep liking the character without worries *nervous laugh*. Loved the ep!
@brightdeadthings just wanted to say that even if he was evil, liking evil characters is totally ok. It does not mean you support their ideas or morals; it just means you like a fictional character. I end up liking questionable characters myself usually lol
Mar 17, 6:23 PM

Nov 2012
So who did she want him to buy? Surely, Feng Xian has no price. unless we're talking upkeep. The 3 top ranks aren't aging out so who?
Mar 17, 6:28 PM

Nov 2012
Reply to Thugresa
@brightdeadthings just wanted to say that even if he was evil, liking evil characters is totally ok. It does not mean you support their ideas or morals; it just means you like a fictional character. I end up liking questionable characters myself usually lol
@Thugresa So do I. Questionable characters are usually much more interesting and complex.
Mar 17, 7:40 PM

Nov 2020
Most normal anime family
Mar 17, 9:29 PM

Apr 2022
That was a great episode. The backstory is so sad.
Mar 17, 11:16 PM

May 2018
Reply to Miyamotodex23
Noelle43 said:
@Miyamotodex23 Oh maybe I did take it in the wrong way lol, but definitely not as an attack! I do think the grip of past patriarchy is slipping in developed countries, but as always when it comes to social progress in a short frame of time... there's a conservative pushback. The USA is currently experiencing an attack of women's rights (namely the right to a safe abortion) in the name of "good christian american values" but the underlying motive is to control women (force them into the sole role of motherhood even if it's unwanted). I believe some states have made abortion 100% illegal, even if the pregnancy is the result of sexual assault or the pregnancy puts the mother's life at risk. Just goes to prove that the patriarchy here is still well and alive, I guess.

I'll never want to diminish the struggles men face, but you're right... being the target of harassment and assault is an all-too-common experience for women. I won't say I personally experience it on the daily, but as you might expect, I too have stories to tell. All the power to you for acknowledging this issue. Opening a conversation around it will always be the first step towards change.

Cheers to all the strong women and supportive men out there!

Oh! those religious fascists are the same everywhere ,they never change .

I still think that except some misogynism/misandry across both genders,quite a lot are supportive to each other especially in big cities, stuff like gender wars are kinda exaggerated on platforms like twitter. gen z are really fighting for lgbtq and equality ,noticed it among a lot of my peers.

It wa nice to share some thoughts with you fellow internet stranger:)
@Miyamotodex23 likewise! I wish you all the best :)
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
Mar 17, 11:18 PM
Jan 2017
Can anyone please confirm if the aging courtesan that Maomao had Lakan buy ought was her mother??? and that's what the withered rose, and it's retaining its shape referred to in the end????
Mar 17, 11:25 PM

May 2018
Reply to cooldogmom
@Noelle43 I live in Texas and abortions are 100% illegal unless there's a medical/life-threatening emergency. But doctors aren't willing to administer an abortion even if the mother is on the verge of dying since a lot is at stake and the law is really ambiguous. If you go out of state to get an abortion, someone can sue you and the doctor for like $10,000? The doctor could lose their medical license and be thrown in jail for murder. I'm pretty sure most of the USA has banned abortions. For sure all of the south banned abortions. It's a sad place we're in. We have to keep voting to get shitty politicians out of office. On a positive note, France added abortion rights to their constitution recently making them 100% legal!!
@cooldogmom Oh gosh I think about my little cousins growing up in Houston and get so worried about what kind of world they're coming into. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of issues faced by all of the states, but when it comes to their reproductive rights... I can only imagine what it's like to be a teenage girl in the South right now.

I find it both hilarious and tragic that this wasn't even a contested issue in France. There, it is such an obvious assumption that women have autonomy over their own body, that the only reason they bothered to put it in the constitution was in response to america's tomfoolery.
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
Mar 17, 11:51 PM

Feb 2021
RayFantasian said:
Can anyone please confirm if the aging courtesan that Maomao had Lakan buy ought was her mother??? and that's what the withered rose, and it's retaining its shape referred to in the end????

Even without reading the manga I can promise you that yes, this is obviously the case here…
Mar 18, 3:29 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to Comander-07
The situation seems more complicated than I first thought.
It would have been way easier just to hate Lakan, but he doesnt seem to have done anything malicious. Curious why the granny hides Fengxian from him though.

I guess his shocked face back when Maomao rushed into the ceremony was because he was legimately concerned about her.

Comander-07 said:

He's Lakan's uncle. Which makes him Maomao's grand-uncle.
Mar 18, 6:24 AM

Sep 2014
Reply to antonn
Comander-07 said:

He's Lakan's uncle. Which makes him Maomao's grand-uncle.
@antonn ah right, still related though! So he didnt just adopt her from the street
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 18, 9:26 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Okay yeah fine i guess haha.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Mar 18, 10:01 AM
Feb 2021
I don't believe One episode left, now I am going to miss maomao.
Mar 18, 1:14 PM
Aug 2022
Reply to Thugresa
@Thugresa you’re right, but r@p3 is where I usually draw the line. There was a certain abuse implied and thinking that he might have done that, I simply couldn’t let myself to like him as a character. I was really happy to find out it wasn’t the case and he wasn’t an abuser. He can be evil in other ways, I don’t mind lol
Mar 18, 1:18 PM

Jul 2016
I gotta give credit where credit's due, I really misunderstood our "favorite" eccentric tactician dude. Never thought I'd say sincerely say this about Lakan but Fengxian being the first face he could see and recognise was damn adorable.
Mar 18, 3:20 PM

Mar 2008
I had suspicions that Lakan might not be as bad a person as he seems.

That was terrible what happened with Lakan and Fengxian. Wasn't even his fault. Though I don't know what was keeping him from attempting to visit her briefly during his time away. I assume it was fairly far away and long travel so he wasnt able to.

I guess Lakan has something like face blindness ? It's an actual condition, you can see people's faces just fine but you can't identify the person by their face or remember what someone's face looks like.
traedMar 18, 3:24 PM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - Yesterday

20 by Phloup »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

166 by Noeiro »»
May 29, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.