Forum Settings
Forums

Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI?

New
May 19, 5:13 PM

Dec 2020
I genuinely don't understand how this is still a thing.
It baffles me how people still think that smoother animation = better animation
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 19, 5:28 PM

May 2020
Probably similar reasons to why people post AI generated art. Maybe its something like "they wanna feel like creators" even though they lack the technical skill to create original high quality works. Maybe it's just curiosity. Who knows.
May 19, 5:30 PM

Aug 2018
I hate 60fps anime clips. Like, why would you do that? It doesn't even look good, smh
May 19, 6:02 PM

Oct 2013
Those clips suck. Smoother animation, done by interpolating the original clip to 60fps, is not equal to getting a better looking clip. Or pleasant to watch. It's hard to not get dizzy from watching whole episodes artificially interpolated like that.
May 19, 6:14 PM

Jun 2017
The formula is:

Results / Actual Effort = Sense of Achievement

As the Actual Effort tends to zero the Sense of Achievement obtained goes through the roof, regardless of the quality of the Results.

May 19, 11:49 PM

May 2018
"Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI?"

Because they are baka.
May 20, 2:14 AM

Dec 2015
Most of AI creation are made by people who usually can't do anything at similar level. Some people might use it as a reference/helping tool but it wouldn't be published as a "work".
May 20, 2:17 AM

Aug 2013
Video frame interpolation has nothing to do with AI.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 20, 2:20 AM

Mar 2008
They don't understand how animation works. It does indeed make some movements look better and others look far worse even when it makes no obvious errors. Also an attempt at ad revenue.
May 20, 2:35 AM

Sep 2016
Akuya said:
Interpolation aside, why would smoother not be better? Because most people are only used to standard framerate and are unable or unwilling to accustom to anything else?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 20, 3:47 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Zarutaku
Akuya said:
Interpolation aside, why would smoother not be better? Because most people are only used to standard framerate and are unable or unwilling to accustom to anything else?
@Zarutaku
Because that isnt how animation works. Just adding too many frames produces bad results because it messes up the sense of of speed and impact and sometimes just hits uncanny valley. Actually this happens on film too. Ever notice how soap operas and British tv shows have a sort of cheap look to them unlike a more US cinematic show? That is because they have a higher frame rate.
May 20, 3:57 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to traed
@Zarutaku
Because that isnt how animation works. Just adding too many frames produces bad results because it messes up the sense of of speed and impact and sometimes just hits uncanny valley. Actually this happens on film too. Ever notice how soap operas and British tv shows have a sort of cheap look to them unlike a more US cinematic show? That is because they have a higher frame rate.
@traed Pretty sure that comes from people not being used to it, are there any studies about the reason for this negative perception?
May 20, 4:04 AM

Nov 2023
I mean its a common misconception, which by a quick glance i can understand why they think so
May 20, 4:07 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to Zarutaku
Akuya said:
@Zarutaku If you would look on the animation bible it actually breaks quite a number of rules of basic animation, One example is clarity, which the lower frame rate of standard animation actually makes it easier to process info on screen
May 20, 4:10 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Zarutaku
@traed Pretty sure that comes from people not being used to it, are there any studies about the reason for this negative perception?
@Zarutaku
Go to 4:16 "the major issue is that if every frame is a key the final line work will have a flicker that is very noticeable"

And watch this vid on smears. It is like a fake motion blur but if you add extra frames it would likely mess up the effect.

And if you watched the AI anime interpolation vids you would clearly see what i was talking about before on what i mean by certain movements looking unrealistic and not in a cool way.
May 20, 4:43 AM

May 2024
To be honest sometimes it looks good
May 20, 4:57 AM

May 2021
Akuya said:
I genuinely don't understand how this is still a thing.

Couldn't agree more

Just searched on youtube what interpolation is, and i can confirm, it looks like utter shite

Instead of making the movements look smoother they got the exact opposite effect and made them look unnatural AF

Some things look good at 60fps some don't, so if frame-rate is so damn important to you go and play videogames instead of bitching about animation quality
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 20, 5:08 AM

May 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku Don't see what study is needed

The higher frame rate makes it look closer to what you see irl, but it's the very realism of it that backfires on it, because unlike irl, TV shows mostly take place on a set, you don't think about this when it comes to a reality show where it's meant to take place on a set, but with fiction if it's suppost to take place say in a castle but it very obviously looks like a set with props, it's gonna look cheaper than one where the set and props look like an actual catsle
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 20, 6:12 AM

Jul 2021
Because anime is drawn at a lower frame rate than even regular live action cinema.
If the creators of the anime didn't want it to be interpolated, they should have drawn it at higher frame rate.

Although they sort of have the excuse that drawing frames is actually a lot of work, whereas live action movies just need to change a setting on the camera, but they still only make 24 fps sideshows that they call movies.
May 20, 6:27 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to traed
@Zarutaku
@traed it doesn't look cheap because of the framerate, but because it actually is cheap compared to Hollywood cinema...
It's kind of backwards that modern cheap TV shows adopted higher frame rate, even though historically the 24fps was only chosen as a standard because celluloid film was very expensive.
Gemini man actually has a 4k 60fps bluray release, and it looks great, even if the plot isn't particularly good.
And as for looking weird, you'd get used to it after 2 movies and then you'd never want to go back.
May 20, 6:43 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to JaniSIr
Because anime is drawn at a lower frame rate than even regular live action cinema.
If the creators of the anime didn't want it to be interpolated, they should have drawn it at higher frame rate.

Although they sort of have the excuse that drawing frames is actually a lot of work, whereas live action movies just need to change a setting on the camera, but they still only make 24 fps sideshows that they call movies.
@JaniSIr Technical and historical reasons 24 fps has been the standard for over a century aside...

If 60 fps animation becomes standard how do you think that's going to affect the industry? Nearly triple the workload/costs for a miniscule illusion of smoother animation? That's ridiculous.

Animators are already keeling over trying to meet demand at 24 fps. I say leave well enough alone.
May 20, 6:56 AM

May 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@traed it doesn't look cheap because of the framerate, but because it actually is cheap compared to Hollywood cinema...
It's kind of backwards that modern cheap TV shows adopted higher frame rate, even though historically the 24fps was only chosen as a standard because celluloid film was very expensive.
Gemini man actually has a 4k 60fps bluray release, and it looks great, even if the plot isn't particularly good.
And as for looking weird, you'd get used to it after 2 movies and then you'd never want to go back.
@JaniSIr Hmm... nope, i still prefere the lower fps even after watching some 4k releases, granted it's interesting to see the difference, and if newer movies were to release directly like that being meant to look like that i'd have no problem with it, but i wouldn't go as far as to "never want to go back" and wanting all old movies to look like that, they have the charm of their times, making everything look the same will just make the newer format look stale
May 20, 7:01 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Smoother animation is better, especially for still frame shots where the camera is panning around. But the problem is, it creates too many visible artifacts that ruin immersion. And the AI isn't good enough to make everything look smooth - if there's not enough frame data to work with, it can't magically create smooth motions. And since some motions will look smoother than others, it will take you out of the immersion.

I used to use a program called SVP4 to smoothen anime in real time, but stopped using it after a short while since the artifacting pulled me out from enjoying the shows. I do use it however for watching movies, as it works better there.

BigBoyAdvanceMay 20, 7:06 AM
May 20, 7:07 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Lhundrup
@JaniSIr Technical and historical reasons 24 fps has been the standard for over a century aside...

If 60 fps animation becomes standard how do you think that's going to affect the industry? Nearly triple the workload/costs for a miniscule illusion of smoother animation? That's ridiculous.

Animators are already keeling over trying to meet demand at 24 fps. I say leave well enough alone.
@Lhundrup Oh I'm well aware, anime isn't even 24fps normally, just a still image with panning, or only mouth flaps being animated, or they do alternate frame animation for foreground and background, or when they actually need to animate all frames, they just drop the detail levels a lot...

For live action it'd literally just be a different setting on the camera.
May 20, 7:17 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to JaniSIr
@Lhundrup Oh I'm well aware, anime isn't even 24fps normally, just a still image with panning, or only mouth flaps being animated, or they do alternate frame animation for foreground and background, or when they actually need to animate all frames, they just drop the detail levels a lot...

For live action it'd literally just be a different setting on the camera.
@JaniSIr That's what I mean, anime would be like 5 minutes smooth action and the rest being panning still images and mouth flapping per episode. They'd have to cut SO many corners to meet a 60 fps standard to keep within budget and be profitable.
May 20, 7:22 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to BigBoyAdvance
Smoother animation is better, especially for still frame shots where the camera is panning around. But the problem is, it creates too many visible artifacts that ruin immersion. And the AI isn't good enough to make everything look smooth - if there's not enough frame data to work with, it can't magically create smooth motions. And since some motions will look smoother than others, it will take you out of the immersion.

I used to use a program called SVP4 to smoothen anime in real time, but stopped using it after a short while since the artifacting pulled me out from enjoying the shows. I do use it however for watching movies, as it works better there.

@BigBoyAdvance I used that too, but that program is just not particularly good. Ended up getting an LG smart TV, that can take any signal and interpolate it, that produces way fewer artifacts in both anime an live action. It's sort of annoying that I need to fiddle with the monitor settings in Windows every time, but otherwise it's surprisingly good.
May 20, 7:33 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Lhundrup
@JaniSIr That's what I mean, anime would be like 5 minutes smooth action and the rest being panning still images and mouth flapping per episode. They'd have to cut SO many corners to meet a 60 fps standard to keep within budget and be profitable.
@Lhundrup I don't think it's possible to cut more corners than they do already. I've seen anime where by the end of the season they just stopped drawing the mouth flaps too...
May 20, 7:38 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to DigiCat
@JaniSIr Hmm... nope, i still prefere the lower fps even after watching some 4k releases, granted it's interesting to see the difference, and if newer movies were to release directly like that being meant to look like that i'd have no problem with it, but i wouldn't go as far as to "never want to go back" and wanting all old movies to look like that, they have the charm of their times, making everything look the same will just make the newer format look stale
@DigiCat What did you watch exactly? The only proper movie release I know of is Gemini Man, unless the new Avatar has one too.
Besides that you are kind of stuck with youtube stuff that's native, or interpolation.
May 20, 7:40 AM

Sep 2016
Lhundrup said:
If 60 fps animation becomes standard how do you think that's going to affect the industry? Nearly triple the workload/costs for a miniscule illusion of smoother animation? That's ridiculous. Animators are already keeling over trying to meet demand at 24 fps.

That is a legit reason indeed, for now at least. Maybe it will become possible when new AI technology significantly reduces production costs.
May 20, 8:40 AM

May 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@DigiCat What did you watch exactly? The only proper movie release I know of is Gemini Man, unless the new Avatar has one too.
Besides that you are kind of stuck with youtube stuff that's native, or interpolation.
@JaniSIr Not sure what you mean by proper movie release, 4k blurays have been around for a while now, unless you mean 4k theatrical release?

I have Suicide Squad 4k bluray and have seen a couple more superhero movies elswhere

I searched Gemini Man, and i'm still not 100% sold on 4k, sure it has a lot more detail, but that level of detail can be a double edged sword, specifically i noticed this in a slow motion scene where in the 4k version it looks like the actors are moving in slow motion on purpose taking the viewer out of the immersion of the movie
May 20, 9:06 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to DigiCat
@JaniSIr Not sure what you mean by proper movie release, 4k blurays have been around for a while now, unless you mean 4k theatrical release?

I have Suicide Squad 4k bluray and have seen a couple more superhero movies elswhere

I searched Gemini Man, and i'm still not 100% sold on 4k, sure it has a lot more detail, but that level of detail can be a double edged sword, specifically i noticed this in a slow motion scene where in the 4k version it looks like the actors are moving in slow motion on purpose taking the viewer out of the immersion of the movie
@DigiCat 4k is pretty standard on any new movies, the thing with Gemini Man is that it's native 60fps.

The Hobbit had like a 48fps theatrical release, but that's not available for consumers, and as I said I'm not sure about Avatar, since that had a variable refresh rate theatrical version, but I didn't watch it yet.
May 20, 9:10 AM

Nov 2023
From my experience of the type of people who have showed me 60 FPS anime clips irl, it's liked by the people who are misinformed or uninformed about animation past "effect look pretty." Gets the old hypebeast going in some people. Don't know why though.
May 20, 9:14 AM

Oct 2018
I'm so out of the loop that I didn't even know that this was a thing that people are doing.

Edit: After looking at some examples, it looks very unnatural to me. I don't understand the appeal tbh.
LeerMay 20, 9:57 AM
May 20, 11:02 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to JaniSIr

@JaniSIr
You completely misread my question. I'm not asking why anime is made at 24 fps. I'm asking why there are so many people that are stupid enough to think it looks better jacked up to 60.
May 20, 11:02 AM

May 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@DigiCat 4k is pretty standard on any new movies, the thing with Gemini Man is that it's native 60fps.

The Hobbit had like a 48fps theatrical release, but that's not available for consumers, and as I said I'm not sure about Avatar, since that had a variable refresh rate theatrical version, but I didn't watch it yet.
@JaniSIr Oh i see, Gemini Man is filmed in 60fps while the others are adapted (did i get that right?)

Pity Hobbit theatrical version isn't available on home video or steaming, i'd be quite curious to see what it's like as it's an inbetween of the classic 25 fps and 4k
May 20, 11:21 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Akuya
@JaniSIr
You completely misread my question. I'm not asking why anime is made at 24 fps. I'm asking why there are so many people that are stupid enough to think it looks better jacked up to 60.
@Akuya People interpolate anime and movies, because they are made at 24fps.
That's the only reason there needs to be.
60fps should have been the standard an eternity ago.
May 20, 11:23 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr
How so? Please explain to me what make high frame rate animation better than 24 fps.
May 20, 11:27 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to DigiCat
@JaniSIr Oh i see, Gemini Man is filmed in 60fps while the others are adapted (did i get that right?)

Pity Hobbit theatrical version isn't available on home video or steaming, i'd be quite curious to see what it's like as it's an inbetween of the classic 25 fps and 4k
@DigiCat I think you are confusing something, 4k refers to having a resolution of 3840x2160 (or less vertically if it's widescreen)
Movies aren't adapted to 60fps by the studios, but with certain programs the frames can be interpolated. Or many smart TVs have that functionality too.
The disks only contain data for 24fps usually, which is why Gemini man actually having an official 60fps release is a big deal.
May 20, 11:35 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Akuya
@JaniSIr
How so? Please explain to me what make high frame rate animation better than 24 fps.
@Akuya Smoother motion, and you can see more details in the movement.
May 20, 11:36 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Akuya
@JaniSIr
@Akuya People think a higher number always = better. There's a reason things are still filmed at 24 fps. A simple search will tell you that.
May 20, 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
And people trust AI to begin with lol? Let's see what that will do when NTHE arrives...that AI hype is worthless.
May 20, 12:08 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr
Just cause a movement is smoother doesn't mean it better. What kind of an argument is that?

Whether motion in animation is fluid and smooth vs choppy and rough is a stylistic or practical choice, not a matter of one being better than the other. A good example of this is spider-verse, they animated a lot of the movie on 2s, intentionally lowering the frame rate to give it more of a crisp and graphic feel, making it feel more like a comic book. And they do this to great effect.

And while 60fps animation can look great. It looks great when done intentionally. Taking something made at 24fps can interpolating to 60 has the opposite effect of seeing "more details in the movement." Take any interpolated animation clip on youtube and take a look at some of the individual frames. It completely ruins any sense of good, readable, and accurate movement. You can see what a terrible replacement an ai is for a real in between animator who actually understand how animation works.

And think about this,
every animation studio could increase all there animations to 60fps with little to no effort, they could,
BUT THEY DON'T
May 20, 1:34 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr
Not just hollywood cinema i meant TV shows even on a budget they just have a completely different look from soap operas and many British tv shows ive seen because they dont have that atmosphere. My TV has a feature that it can interpolate and when you turn it on it makes films and US tv shows look like soap operas or British shows. So it definitely isn't budget. A lot of cinematographers were really upset TVs having this feature because it ruins their vision of what it should look like. It's really only meant for watching sports.
May 20, 1:38 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Xenofight
To be honest sometimes it looks good
@Xenofight
Yeah it just depends what it is. If it's a slow 3D pan around shot without background smear then it might look good. But something like walking and punches and stuff like that look awful.
May 20, 1:43 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Reply to traed
@Zarutaku
traed said:
Actually this happens on film too

I like watching films interpolated to 60fps. I don't understand why most people find it weird. Must be console players who got used to 20fps gameplay.
My only criticism is the artifacting, but that will not be an issue for long.
May 20, 1:45 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to BigBoyAdvance
traed said:
Actually this happens on film too

I like watching films interpolated to 60fps. I don't understand why most people find it weird. Must be console players who got used to 20fps gameplay.
My only criticism is the artifacting, but that will not be an issue for long.
@BigBoyAdvance
For some things it doesnt have an issue but others it messes up the atmospheric effect of post processing.
May 20, 1:47 PM

May 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr Still don't get why

There is nothing wrong with 24 fps, there's nothing to fix, 60 fps isn't there to delete 24 fps, it's there to add something new alongside it
May 20, 1:52 PM

May 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr

JaniSIr said:
I think you are confusing something, 4k refers to having a resolution of 3840x2160 (or less vertically if it's widescreen)
Movies aren't adapted to 60fps by the studios, but with certain programs the frames can be interpolated. Or many smart TVs have that functionality too.
The disks only contain data for 24fps usually, which is why Gemini man actually having an official 60fps release is a big deal

Since you now corrected my mistake, i'll mention again what was ignored

I searched Gemini Man, and i'm still not 100% sold on 4k 60fps, sure it has a lot more detail, but that level of detail can be a double edged sword, specifically i noticed this in a slow motion scene where in the 4k 60fps version it looks like the actors are moving in slow motion on purpose taking the viewer out of the immersion of the movie
May 20, 1:56 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to traed
@JaniSIr
Not just hollywood cinema i meant TV shows even on a budget they just have a completely different look from soap operas and many British tv shows ive seen because they dont have that atmosphere. My TV has a feature that it can interpolate and when you turn it on it makes films and US tv shows look like soap operas or British shows. So it definitely isn't budget. A lot of cinematographers were really upset TVs having this feature because it ruins their vision of what it should look like. It's really only meant for watching sports.
@traed I specifically picked a TV where I knew that the motion interpolation is good.
And movie directors really should stop envisioning the world in as a slideshow.
May 20, 3:32 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to DigiCat
@JaniSIr

JaniSIr said:
I think you are confusing something, 4k refers to having a resolution of 3840x2160 (or less vertically if it's widescreen)
The disks only contain data for 24fps usually, which is why Gemini man actually having an official 60fps release is a big deal

Since you now corrected my mistake, i'll mention again what was ignored

I searched Gemini Man, and i'm still not 100% sold on 4k 60fps, sure it has a lot more detail, but that level of detail can be a double edged sword, specifically i noticed this in a slow motion scene where in the 4k 60fps version it looks like the actors are moving in slow motion on purpose taking the viewer out of the immersion of the movie
@DigiCat Okay, now it makes more sense.
I guess there is something to what you are saying, but finding creative ways to hide the errors in the movie by making everything harder to follow is sort of not where the industry should be going.
Like there was that scene in Taken 4(?) where Liam Neeson has to climb over a fence, but he got so old he couldn't do it properly, so they cut that couple seconds long thing like 10x. Like just why would you not make a movie where the actors can do what they are supposed to do. (Greed, obviously.) The first Taken was great, but they milked that cow too many times...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - Yesterday

32 by Shirayukin »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you watch AI anime?

solacez - Yesterday

31 by Tropisch »»
2 minutes ago

» When Iconic comic characters like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man become public domain

BLACKANGER - 7 hours ago

5 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

89 by CareBear »»
17 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - Yesterday

22 by Serafos »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.