Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Fable
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 6, 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
OP song is catchy imo and features a lot of Akira aka Fable. Speaking of which, he's a hitman so he does work with a partner.

First episode sets up the premise of their partnership and their work. There's mature themes related to killings and cast features adults, which is kinda refreshing. Akira's face is kinda stoic though, almost always looking like the same. Episode so far has a general eerie and mature vibe and seems to take itself seriously.
Apr 6, 9:25 AM

Dec 2021
Five years after its conclusion, the renowned manga by Katsuhisa Minami is at last receiving an anime adaptation. I'm relieved that it's being aired on Disney+/Hulu this time, as it might deter people from seeing the disappointment that this adaptation seems to be.

ALI and Hannya's OP is passable enough, neither bad nor good, while UmedaCypher's ED is also passable.

Akira Satou, also known as Fable, is a renowned hitman with a long list of successful assignments for various clients. However, after completing his latest job, the body count raises concerns, prompting his boss to order him to lay low for a year. It's suggested that experiencing life as an ordinary citizen could be beneficial for his future work. But for someone like Akira, accustomed to the life of a legendary hitman, blending in as a regular person poses unexpected challenges. In fact, being forbidden from taking any lives for a while might just be Akira's toughest assignment yet.

The original manga is known for being funny, and the bad animation actually makes it even funnier to me. I don't get it, though. If the gun is legal, the bullet mark can be traced back to it, but since it's illegal, why change it every time? Anyway, he's really good at his job, leaving no trace, not even from the gun—a mistake many killers make. It must be tough for a professional killer to adjust to normal life. I like how he's secretly guiding the car vandals.

As for Fable, he's got a year's worth of holidays, but it seems like there might be some problems with the adaptation... Once again, Tezuka Productions is adapting another beloved manga. However, this time it might actually work out for them. Let's wait and see.

May 2020
The biggest concern actually isn’t something related to source, but is actually of studio’s. Their recent track record doesn’t speak much to give assurance, but hey, here they are, not even trying to better that reputation. I mean look at the colours and character designs lol.

Music does seem good, I mean that’s the least they could do tbh, when they are not putting much effort in other things. Our main man, Fable did get his introduction, and have to say, that was one bloody way to introduce someone lol. Those guys didn’t even get a chance to defend themselves, so that kinda speaks volumes about this man’s skills, who despite being as uninterested as one could be, still knows how to entertain himself, and that just to be clear, is not by killing someone lol.

Liked how they were told to discontinue killing for a year and live a normal life all of a sudden, which could be the hardest thing ever, looking at this man, and his supposed-to-be sister. Though this is where the fun would be, and it is going to be one very long journey at that.

Decent enough first episode, but man, someone has to do something about the dimness whenever there’s a night segment around.

Jul 2017
Mangaka Katsuhisa Minami's "The Fable" manga may be 10 years old, but don't let that fool you into thinking that it's raw. In fact, it's VERY RAW in its adult comedy, despite being a crime series. Also, Tezuka Productions being back with the organized crime theme, like My Home Hero, it's gritty.

ALI's OP is rocking beats, nice! UmedaCypher's ED is just rather fine, though I have reservations of it fitting into the series.

Thugs are everywhere, but one not as fearful as the Fable, who's just only a professional hitman working in a small team who targets big fish from brokers to whistleblowers, their income is not much, but at 50 million yen to lay low as ordinary people and going to Osaka to meet a group of yakuza, the boss demands greater of the Fable, aliased as Akira and his assistant of Yoko, the Sato siblings. The Fable can't let go of his Nighthawk gun, which is his precious.

Both Akira and Yoko heading to Osaka in the dead of night, but witnessing car burglars out in public, he decides to watch them, only for them to retaliate at him, forgetting that he's trained to take down any enemy within 6 seconds. The Maguro yakuza Group which Akira did meet them 3 years ago, he only did a clientele with them. And he needs to get new clothes for first impressions.

Interesting to see where this would go...housing hitmen for ordinary lives? That's going to be a hard one.
KANLen09Apr 7, 2:27 AM
Apr 6, 9:28 AM

Feb 2020
"Mmm... Organized Crime." -Homer Simpson

Decent start. Some funny moments. I like the OP/ED.
Apr 6, 10:03 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I thought it was going to be more violent and with more blood, but it turned out to be entertaining, like the beginning of returning to a "normal" life, which looks like it's not going to be so easy.

kekeke
Apr 6, 10:30 AM

Jul 2017
The Fable is here and this was... a premiere. I really like the manga for this and if it was handled by a better studio and more promising staff, this could have been a sleeper candidate for one of the best shows this season. It's not a terrible premiere by any means but given how good the content, it felt flat here. The one big positive with the anime though is that Miyuki Sawashiro voicing Youko Sato is a lovely move and great to hear her in a role like this after what has felt like a while. So yeah, the first episode wasn't irredeemable but the anime staff and studio involved have generally done no favors with this adaptation, as everything mostly looked and felt uninspired for something that can be really good if not held back.
animejasApr 6, 10:34 AM
Apr 6, 10:30 AM
Sep 2015
I usually don't watch anime with a lot of killing, and this anime seems to have a lot of killing, so I've to step outside my safe zone.

The way Fable talks is almost exactly the same as Ayanokouji from Classroom of the Elite, but he has the mentality of Kuro from Under Ninja, which means he's insane.
Apr 6, 10:32 AM

Mar 2016
Is this good? Because it bored me, or I was wrong expecting something as funny as The Way of the House Husband?
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 6, 10:41 AM
Nov 2023
Decent first episode.
It was pretty funny at time. I also find the concept of "What if one punch man was a hitman" somewhat interesting.
I will keep an eye on this one.
Apr 6, 10:44 AM

Jun 2014
The voice acting for Akira might take some getting used to, but this was decent other than that. The premise seems interesting so hopefully this one can deliver. Though, as far as first impressions go, this leaves much to be desired visually speaking.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 6, 10:52 AM

Dec 2022
This one stood out to me when I was checking out this season's lineup. The premise of a criminal's approach to everyday life reminded me of Way of the Househusband.
Fable always looking bored of everything and the chemistry between the fake siblings are kind of amusing. Let's see where this goes.
MALoween 2023 Candy: ///
Apr 6, 11:06 AM
Mar 2023
As a person who’s read the whole manga it’s a little off in some spots just feels off with some movement. Hopefully it’s better later on when It really needs it. It’s a okay adaptation so far just i just wish it was a better studio..
Apr 6, 11:10 AM

Jul 2020
why does everyone in this show talk so incredibly slow, I had to switch it to x1.2 speed and even then it annoyed me
Apr 6, 11:18 AM

Nov 2016
Probably my most anticipated anime this season. From genre, Tezuka Productions and being directed by Takahashi(both studio and director are actully a good fit for this kind of series; just recently it did a decent job with Under Ninja with was also a wackier take on the underworld), this adaptation tickles many boxes for me. I guess this isn't for everyone, but it's totally my vibe. The seiyuu cast is damn awesome as well 🙏🏻 Akira's manner of speaking and his deadpan expression just do it for me and you can't wrong with Sawashiro, no matter the role she's playing.
FMmatronApr 6, 11:37 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 6, 11:21 AM

Apr 2018
I have read the manga a year or two ago and it became one of my favorites immediately. I was excited when I heard about the adaptation until the studio was announced. As expected, it just is how I imagined it to be. It's neither good or bad, it's just average and closer to bad.
One thing I'm grateful for are the voice actors, espically for our main cast Akira and Yoko. It was quite funny when he switched the dialect, but the first part was a sleeper ngl. Pretty decent introduction of Ebihara and the boss. I'm disappointed of the studio choice because this is a really amazing manga in its genre and it has a bunch of characters with their own special traits. Hopefully they all get done well.
The OP is decent and the ED is quite catchy.

I gave up on my home hero after a few episodes and hope otherwise for this.
SideCharacterKalApr 6, 11:25 AM

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 6, 11:41 AM

Nov 2011
Meh. It was okay. I am not too impressed from the Start so we'll see what happens going forward.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 6, 11:54 AM

Aug 2013
The Fable is finally here; and i'm very much enjoying it.

Animation is alright, and the music seems pretty okay too.
Apr 6, 12:36 PM

Dec 2019
OP was decent but this felt way too slow and boring in the anime compared to the manga and looks way worse. Super mediocre adaptation, and feels like a 'read the manga' anime more than anything.
Apr 6, 12:37 PM
Dec 2022
Hype to watch this
the OP song is pretty good
Mr fable guy is just a silly guy "how can you laugh after killing six people" bro is just a silly guy

Show actually not bad

Ending song nice

Show actually kinda fire
Apr 6, 12:50 PM
Oct 2020
Ok like it so far. Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would but also still not great. The op and ed are passable. Might like them more as I keep listening to them. Might just read the manga instead but will give at least a couple more eps. Definitely going to read the manga now or after this finishes

Apr 6, 3:10 PM

May 2015
Guys, guys, GUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
This series is not about killing...
It's about a killer taking a break from all that and trying to be normal.
If you want blood go watch Ninja Kamui or something.
Don't go bringing the score so low with your irrelevant expectations.
Look at the genre first.
Man... istg... these people... :/
Apr 6, 3:30 PM

Jul 2016
Only watching this because of the absurd amount of times I have seen anime characters reading "The Fable" manga.
Apr 6, 3:39 PM

Jun 2013
This looks very interesting just the limited animation is so... ugh
Apr 6, 3:41 PM

Apr 2022
i really enjoyed the manga so i'm glad i get to experience it again in anime form soon, especially considering how the second contact only recently got fully translated. but ofc as expected, tezuka did not cook with the visuals lol. i just noticed it's listed for 25 episodes as well so let's see how this goes for that long but ye i'm here for akira's shenanigans.
Apr 6, 4:57 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Well this adaptation seems to be just kind of average at the moment. It was just the first episode so will see where it gets too, but I like the synopsis and the idea behind the show. I have not read the manga, but when I saw the show in my seasonal tabs it looked intriguing so will see how it plays out.
Apr 6, 5:18 PM
May 2022
Well I’ve heard good things about the manga. But I don’t know. Not concerned about the quality of the story or anything but something is up with the comedic timing for sure. I hope it gets better but we’ll see I guess.
Apr 6, 5:23 PM

Aug 2017
Hmm animation wise not the best, but I kinda dig these kind of stories. The fable looks so unhinged and his expressions are so funny while Youko complements him well. Haven't read the source material, but this episode pacing felt fine to me, I'm kinda scared however that Tezuka would rush this like they did with My Home Hero, so hopefully this isn't the case for this show.
Apr 6, 6:14 PM
Dec 2021
honestly don't know what to expect, but I'm here for it.
Apr 6, 6:37 PM
Jan 2020
Tezuka really on a generational run of butchering manga's left and right it's actually impressive
Apr 6, 6:40 PM

Sep 2016
This is making me sleepy. really low-energy anime.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 6, 6:42 PM

Aug 2019
I don't usually post on here, but just from watching the first episode, I can tell they're already gonna butcher it

The Animation isn't nearly detailed enough, I am not fully happy with the voice actors either and it just seems like a half-assed adaption

I hate saying stuff like this, but please read the Manga (if you have the time for it ofc)
Apr 6, 6:48 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fine start, the fact that this is getting 2 cours and has underworld elements in it was enough to convince me to give this a shot. There a few parts that weren’t exactly impressive imo this episode but I’ll keep watching, the brother-sister fake relationship should be entertaining to watch.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 6, 7:06 PM

Nov 2010
  • This is the only big title of this season.
  • The pace of speech is Too slow.
  • It may have been not bad to change the hair style of the protagonist.
  • OP & ED are trash. I hate rap.
Apr 6, 7:37 PM

May 2021
To be honest I didn't really understand what was happening ahahah there were a lot of random situations but in a funny way. His death fish face is the best ahah and his contemptuous reaction when his "sister" speaks has its joke.
For the first episode it was average, it didn't have that laugh-out-loud comedy but it will probably improve.

Apr 6, 7:50 PM
Jun 2023
why do people in this discussion said the animation is lacking.this one is much better When compared to my home hero tho. There are several scenes that highlight fluid acting characters, it's much different than my home hero's animation that looks stiff. Do anime fans now think that not detailed art = bad animation?. The coloring is made simple so it is easy to animate
RonniejarsApr 6, 8:03 PM
Apr 6, 8:46 PM

Nov 2023
This finally got an adaptation; let's go.

A good start, and I'm looking forward to more episodes.
Apr 6, 9:33 PM
Jan 2024
Love this already. Another ‘anime watcher’s anime’ like Under Ninja and My Home Hero. The animation is nothing special but the voice acting, character designs and music totally steal the show. So many good shows this season, and it’s just getting started!
Apr 6, 10:09 PM

Jun 2021
Heard great things about the manga that's why I was waiting for the anime adaption. Even though the episodes was really enjoyable but doesn't looks like the adaptation will do the manga justice.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Apr 6, 10:25 PM

Dec 2016
Reply to Ronniejars
why do people in this discussion said the animation is lacking.this one is much better When compared to my home hero tho. There are several scenes that highlight fluid acting characters, it's much different than my home hero's animation that looks stiff. Do anime fans now think that not detailed art = bad animation?. The coloring is made simple so it is easy to animate
@Ronniejars

Using Home Hero as some sort of benchmark is like saying that anything is better than a dog turd on the sidewalk. It's just a very low bar to even use it as comparisson.

There is some fluidity on various scenes, like Fable dropping down one floor at a time or the gun assembly. But they are still incredibly basic and they would be called serviceable for the kind of scene they are depicting. Sure they can be even cheaper with just panning shots and speed lines, but they could have also been way better animated and use less weird "cut to" scene editing. Heck, even the kick scene felt very half assed with only half of it being animated (and use of speed lines on both the animation and background) but the actual hitting frames just being a single frame with a cheap smear-like frame like in the early DBZ days.

You said it yourself, the artstyle is very simplistic, so doing proper animation should be less of a struggle than those that have more detailed characters, clothing, backgrounds, and yet it's not something the animation conosieur would call anything beyond "serviceable".
Apr 6, 10:44 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I loved the manga, and while I agree that the anime is not as high quality as I would've liked, I still enjoyed the episode! I'll be happy tbh as long as they keep the quality like this (or better), and not have it dip to My Home Hero level of quality. It's just the first episode, and the fun parts really start when Akira and Youko try to live like normal people. But the humor is more or less going to stay this way, which I don't think is for everyone.

The way Akira laughs at Jackal though :'D Night and day difference from how he normally is. Couldn't tell he was speaking in Kansai-ben in the manga, but he did make that switch here, at least for a few lines.
Apr 6, 10:58 PM

Oct 2012
Gotta say, this episode wasn't very.. comedic.
Apr 6, 11:33 PM

Aug 2019
nothing special and the animation is so bad
Hakari17
Apr 7, 12:27 AM

Dec 2018
this show is going to hing highly with whatever comes next, the first episode did a good job laying the ground work, but not with giving me an idea of what to expect.
Apr 7, 12:33 AM
Jan 2022
Like a mix of Under Ninja with a touch of either Mashle’s or Sakamoto Desu Ga’s kind of screwballness. And tied together with a snappy Oneeimouto. I’m on board.
Apr 7, 2:22 AM

Sep 2013
Pretty nice pilot, like Under Ninja this is really different from your average anime, Tezuka did a nice pick, animation is alright, i liked the shoot scene its really down to earth

The concept of living like a regular citizen for a year or you're dead is stupid though that and you're telling me he only made 300k dollars in 6 years? doesn't seem to be worth it

The duo is fun i like their synergy, thought the women would be annoying but i like her

Solid 6 for the moment, the manga being so well rated i'm expecting a good story here.
Deep dark fantasies
Apr 7, 3:01 AM
May 2020
where was the comedy?
Apr 7, 5:08 AM

Sep 2018
lol, I dunno, Akira's voice acting was a big WTF moment throughout this whole episode for me, and the exaggerated tsk thing was weird as well. I can either see myself getting sick of this very quickly or brightening up to the idea of something so stupid and unnatural, that it becomes pretty funny in the process.

Apr 7, 5:52 AM

Apr 2020
The voice acting is good but I'm not completely sold on Akira's voice. I get that he's supposed to have a stoic attitude most of the time but it seems a bit exaggerated. But man, the animation is so stiff ! It's really hard to see a picture of a character with just the mouth moving...
I'm not sure the anime will do justice to the great visual gags of the manga.
The timing of the end of the episode was also pretty weird.
Apr 7, 7:21 AM
Nov 2019
Not bad!!

I love the car they drive an old Nissan skyline HAKOSUKA early 70s!

Not a bad anime .

I had to drop the loser ranger anime….. and the jellyfish one….
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Fable Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1

28 by curvedtree »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » The Fable Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25

34 by Ranxomare »»
Yesterday, 10:42 AM

» Randomly woke up and realized there's a NHK ni Youkoso! reference

perennial_suit - May 26

7 by MichaelJackson »»
Jun 4, 4:32 PM

Poll: » The Fable Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4

26 by H_Erifu »»
Jun 4, 10:10 AM

Poll: » The Fable Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 27

42 by jefba »»
May 30, 6:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.