Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 7:40 AM

Dec 2021
Advance screening event.
https://www.kuroshitsuji.tv/news/?id=64926

Last season, Aniplex brought back the classic Ao no Exorcist. Now, they're reviving the even MORE classic, Yana Toboso's Kuroshitsuji. It's been about seven years since its last run. Let's dive in!

Sebastian Michaelis, the butler, collaborates with his 13-year-old master, Earl Ciel Phantomhive, in executing the clandestine tasks of "the Queen's Watchdog" within the murky underworld of nineteenth-century England. Their routine is disrupted when Queen Victoria sends a missive to Ciel, informing him of the mysterious disappearances of students from Weston College, a prestigious institution; among them is her relative, Derrick. Determined to unravel the truth behind these vanishing acts, Sebastian and Ciel embark on an undercover mission within Weston College. What secrets lie hidden within its walls, and what fate befell the missing students? With no alternative in sight, Ciel finds himself compelled to enroll at Weston College for the sake of investigation. Meanwhile, Sebastian assumes the role of Sapphire Owl's latest housemaster, joining the institution's staff.

I've been eagerly waiting for the new anime. The first episode was great, and I'm excited for more! I never thought Ciel would go to public school. Dorm Supervisor Michaelis sounds cool, but Professor Michaelis would be even better. I still hope for that! It was funny to see Sebastian wearing a cross. But it made me wonder if he can manipulate memories. Didn't they hint at it before? Anyway, I'm just happy to see Sebastian and the others again. Even the new characters seem interesting. P4 are ones to watch.

Once again, it's time for Ciel and Sebastian to solve another mystery. That's just part of being "the Queen's Watchdog."

Mar 24, 4:11 PM

Sep 2013
Can this be watched if you haven't seen any of the previous seasons, just by knowing the gist of the butler being a demon of sorts? xd
Mar 25, 4:33 AM

Jul 2010
Reply to blimundoru
Can this be watched if you haven't seen any of the previous seasons, just by knowing the gist of the butler being a demon of sorts? xd
@blimundoru I wouldn't recommend it... like at all. Also I will never understand why people want to jump in the middle of the story.
This season will reference previous events and characters that already appeared beforehand. I would recommend reading manga, at least before Book of Circus, since anime is full of fillers and completely abandons source material at one point, then you can watch anime (Circus + Murder + Atlantic + this season).
Mar 28, 6:49 AM
Oct 2019
TheMangaManiac said:
@blimundoru I wouldn't recommend it... like at all. Also I will never understand why people want to jump in the middle of the story.
This season will reference previous events and characters that already appeared beforehand. I would recommend reading manga, at least before Book of Circus, since anime is full of fillers and completely abandons source material at one point, then you can watch anime (Circus + Murder + Atlantic + this season).

Tbf, from Book of Circus it's PEAK and good adaptation imo
Mar 28, 10:21 AM

Jan 2018
Reply to TheMangaManiac
@TheMangaManiac You are talking about the second half of part 1 and the entirely of part 2 being filler if im not mistaken. All of the books (circus, murder, Atlantic are all canon material.) right? its been some years since ive seen the anime but i am caught up there.
Mar 28, 10:44 PM

Jul 2010
Reply to Konan_Edogawa_
@TheMangaManiac You are talking about the second half of part 1 and the entirely of part 2 being filler if im not mistaken. All of the books (circus, murder, Atlantic are all canon material.) right? its been some years since ive seen the anime but i am caught up there.
@Konan_Edogawa_ yeah, half of Season 1 or even more (I watched it 10+ years ago, I don't remember) and entirety of Season 2 are fillers, the rest follows the manga very close and I enjoyed watching them)
Mar 29, 11:27 AM

Sep 2013
Reply to TheMangaManiac
@TheMangaManiac Thanks for the in depth feedback!
Apr 13, 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
The previous season aired in July 2014 so this is almost exactly 10 years since a Black Butler TV anime aired on TV. What a return!

First episode reintroduced Ciel and Sebastian and they're how I remember after all these years. Looks like the school Ciel is attending is very strict and has some higher ups that are rathter intimidating. Sebastian's master of disguise skills came in handy.

Not going to lie, I love the style of the drama for this show. Everything just fits so well for Black Butler.
Apr 13, 7:59 AM

May 2020
What the fuck lol, Ciel looks even more feminine with these new character designs. But still, leave it to Cloverworks and they could make anything look as good as it could be. Be it these new guys, who have quite a filter working on them, and hey, even if they haven’t told us about them being the prefect bunch, we could’ve guessed anyways.

As I mean a public school where kids are dressed normally, those four look like some runaway Louis Vuitton models. Anyways, Ciel is attending school, which is something he’s ordered to attend, I mean even Sebas-chan is there acting as dorm supervisor, so yeah… but, this school does seem like a haunted place more than anything. No wonder, kids aren’t able to go back to their homes even during vacations lol.

They made it sound like they’re doing that on their own accord, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. This will be quite a mystery with these many eccentric characters in the mix. Hope they don’t add fillers this time around too lol.

Also, I’m more surprised over the fact that they didn’t even try to recap past stuff, like not even the first second, and Ciel is already attending the school lol. It’s not like we got the last part some time last month itself, so a recap and all would’ve helped. Otherwise, a fine return.
Apr 13, 8:25 AM

Oct 2017
Finally back after the movie back in 2017. Was so happy with the Elizabeth reveal, love her and hoping to see more of her. Hoping for a great season.

So we dive right into things without much context given and explain things as things progress. Was a bit confusing at the start but the last part explaining things should clear up it. One thing I'd like to know though is that do they not know Phantomhive status or they just don't care at all? The school is definitely suspicious and I wonder if they'll work on this one case the entire season. Whatever happens, I just hope they show Elizabeth.
MegamiRemMay 21, 9:13 AM
Apr 13, 9:38 AM

Feb 2021
Just finished watching Book of the Atlantic like an hour ago, thank god I made it in time. Really looking forward to this.

Would've been cool if they got SID for the OP again, oh well. It's cool, I like the visuals.
The atmosphere was all super serious, so that fall surprised me lol
Nice ED!

Not much happened yet, but I'm looking forward to more. The visuals were beautiful. I don't really like how Sebastian looks though, but I'll get used to it.
Apr 13, 10:12 AM
Feb 2021
was not the type of anime i remembered it to be
Apr 13, 10:53 AM

Jul 2021
We are so back
He's as beautiful as the day I lost him
Cestlavie_Apr 13, 11:46 AM
Apr 13, 11:37 AM

Jun 2022
the animation was so good!!! i cannot wait for this new season even tho its only 11 eps lol
so far it seems interesting and its nearly been a decade since s2 i think

Apr 13, 11:53 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Weak episode to starts the seaon.... and where is the darkness? Seems a idols show with the poses an colours!
kekeke
Apr 13, 12:02 PM

Apr 2015
Never thought the day would come when the Public School arc would come to fruition. Tbh something about this adaptation seems a bit lacking so far, but it was still an enjoyable episode. Ciel learning the smiling skill during the Circus arc has paid off. I was internally cringing and laughing when he did that cute pose at the end. Funny how he copied McMillan's pose when he was so bewildered by it earlier in the episode. But Ciel did it better, of course. Seeing Ciel act never fails to amuse me. And the episode ended on the perfect line..."Yes, my lord." Haven't heard that in years. So nostalgic. Good times.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 13, 12:03 PM
Jul 2013
Ciel going sparkly was not expected but this is a pretty new environment for him. The OP was decently dark so I’m ready for school kids to start dying soon… haven’t read the manga so anything is possible. Mostly I’m here for Sebastian so I’ll be happy with anything!
Apr 13, 12:26 PM

Jun 2015
I have waited ten years for this! That "Yes, my lord" at the end kyaaaa. I know they were teasing us with it.

It's disappointing though they didn't use the word "Book" in the title like the previous installments.

I see they didn't use the word fag for the translation. It was in the manga when I read it 10 years ago, and I have to say it the right and most accurate word to use. Guess these spineless translators are too afraid to use it.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 13, 12:30 PM
Oct 2022
the Visuals are great!
Apr 13, 12:34 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to blimundoru
@blimundoru I'd recommend to watch at least 1st season to know what is it about. This season could be somewhere in the middle of the 1st one so it's probably enough, bc 2nd season concludes the story, but I think it's not according to manga (Correct me if I'm wrong) and Book of circus (3s) is an arc from 1st season
Apr 13, 12:34 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to blimundoru
@blimundoru I'd recommend to watch at least 1st season to know what is it about. This season could be somewhere in the middle of the 1st one so it's probably enough, bc 2nd season concludes the story, but I think it's not according to manga (Correct me if I'm wrong) and Book of circus (3s) is an arc from 1st season
Apr 13, 12:51 PM

Nov 2017
Having done a marathon Season 1 + OAV 1 + Season 2 + OAV 1 to 6 + Book or Circus + Book of Murder + Book of the Atlantic last month until last week and read the manga up to volume 29 then the scans up to chapter 169 for now, I'm super happy to follow this new season after 5 years of waiting for me! Hearing “Yes, My Lord” again in 2024 is amazing and I also really like the opening and the ending!
ElyshionApr 14, 11:59 AM
Apr 13, 1:23 PM

Apr 2019
finally the public school arc was adapted into the anime, i was looking forward to this moment so much and this moment came! 🛐
CREDIT
pfp & sign. :@chirido_san on twt/x
Apr 13, 2:38 PM

Aug 2013
good good I don't remember a shit from last seasons but this was a very good start with very good animation from CLOVER WORKS
Apr 13, 3:29 PM

Feb 2019
an interesting start to the new, long overdue season! can't wait to unravel more mystery in future episodes.
Apr 13, 4:12 PM

Apr 2009
DON'T THROW ROCKS AT MY BOY!

I was grinning the whole time. I'm so happy to see Ciel and Sebas-chan again. The animation is very pretty! Ciel is so cute when he is trying to manipulate people hahaha
Apr 13, 5:13 PM
Feb 2012
I was smiling throughout the whole episode! It was funny to watch the beginning where Ciel acted like a shoujo protagonist, a far cry from his reality. And differently from his usual investigations, this time he's going "undercover" as himself.

It's so good and refreshing to see something you love coming back with such beautiful, smooth animation. Cloverworks did an amazing job with episode one, as well as the opening. The song is so good!! And the animation settles the eerie atmosphere of the arc — after all, no matter if Ciel is going to school, he's there to investigate something fishy.

Also, the voice actors for the characters introduced in this arc were spot on. Really excited to see the next episode!
Apr 13, 5:14 PM

Jul 2012
I had not checked the cast, so starting the episode with daddy Hayami Show speaking almost killed me!
Also it's been ages since I read this part so I had forgotten about the vice principal falling down the stairs. Me and my friend choked on our drinks when it happened lmao
Everything looks amazing!
Apr 13, 5:36 PM

Nov 2018
i didn't remember how much i loved this show until today, i remember when i binge-watched it when i was younger and i'm seriously thinking about rewatching all sequel again cause is so good.

i just love them so much i'm so happy to have remembered my love for this show omfg so nostalgic and so mysteriously lovely .. i'm sooo excited for the next ep. waaaaaa

Apr 13, 5:51 PM
Jan 2017
I believe I am one of few how still true fans to the series.

once I heard the news about the new episode, I was delighted.

I rushed to watch it, and here I see my childhood anime, would say an amazing start, I feel that we are missing a lot of the original characters.

the ending OST, is 10/10.

the drawing is different, not that I don't like it , but gives different vibes.

I really hope they nail it, and the anime has a complete return, as the fans are eager for this anime for more than 10 years.

Apr 13, 5:58 PM
Apr 2020
Yes, my lord!
This made me crave tea at 2 am hhhh. The visuals are so great, and I'm so glad it is finally back.
If I was at that school, I'd quit the second I stepped in. What's wrong with them, lmao.
Apr 13, 6:27 PM

Apr 2022
well this is back, and right back in a dress as well huh.
Apr 13, 6:45 PM
Jan 2021
Who here already spotted Grell within the campus?
Apr 13, 7:13 PM

Apr 2016
I'm so glad it's back! Cool opening and ending
The public school arc has a lot of fun new characters, namely the Prefect 4, I'm so glad this arc is finally being animated
Good first episode to start the plot for the arc, I think Sebastian as a teacher is perfect lol
Apr 13, 7:18 PM

Feb 2008
the ambience could be better but imo its doing good so far although nothing can top book of circus
Apr 13, 8:06 PM

Mar 2007
First, kudos to the animators. Black Butler has never looked better. All the fine details, the stained glass, the pouring of the tea through that strainer, how the milk swirls when poured into tea just so, the backgrounds - superlative high quality drawing.

Loving the boarding school feel as I used to read lots of British Boarding school series (thanks Enid Blyton) and they have all the tropes. The 4 houses. Rules. Prefects. Midnight feasts, the whole shebang. I actually laughed when they chased out a "swotter" and then he called Sebastian a "rotter" for having gone too far. Lol, nice touches.

Finally the 4 houses and their prefects.
* Handsome High Nobles - hot high charisma blonde prefect, yum.
* Nerdy Academics in blue with Owls
* The Athletic Jocks with the lion and cricket bat
* Artistic Weirdos aka the purple emos

All very well done, and let's just say it's already giving me dark academia vibes, which I love.

Finally, we have us the handsome Sebastian. Oh my, how I have missed you my darling, you are one hell of a butler.

It's only episode 1 and already I have to confess I'm enjoying this the MOST out of every anime this season. I hope the quality and the story stay great.
Apr 13, 8:56 PM
May 2013
Al fin luego de tanta espera!!! Voy a amar todo este arco <3
Apr 13, 11:15 PM
Jun 2016
I'm reading people say the animation is great, very smooth and I'm just wondering if we were watching the same episode..? Am I going crazy? Do I need new glasses? Doesn't the animation as a whole for the first ep feel... wayyyyy off? Very little is animated, and the things that are, are often CGI..?

The episode opens with a slideshow. I'm pretty sure everything that does move in the first ENTIRE MINUTE is exclusively CGI. The one character that does most of the talking has his face completely darkened by this weird shadow-y effect, so there aren't even mouth flaps. If you pause the episode around 00:38 you can see so many things that look off. Characters in front look off (not just talking about the off-focus effect). Also, are the 2 characters in the back half-rendered, blurred and darkened CGI? Why does the desk on the left look like it's not meant to be there? Even Ciel's character looks off here with this effect applied to him (though you could argue it's a stylistic choice, but personally I think it does NOT look good).

The first shot after the opening also looks... weird? Looks CGI to me (look at the shoulder especially) and if it is, it almost feels like they're trying to hide it? Then from 2:38 to 3:00 we get *actual* animation (except for the CGI gate). But then it's back to 40 straight seconds of slideshow with 1 or 2 CGI characters moving on some of the slides. Not only that, the shots using CGI characters are super blurry, again as if they're trying to hide it, but it's obvious. "First impressions are crucial." That is SO ironic because my first impression of the episode is quite bad.

The whole "meeting the P4" segment looks decent but also starts a trend for the rest of the episode: quite a lot of the lip flaps/sync seem to be noticeably off.

Then there is 7:04 to 7:07. If he is meant to be running in place, that is not how you convey that. Then there is the segment starting from 7:58. Ciel is meant to be on the ground surrounded by other students, yet the moment the camera shifts when Sebastian goes to help Ciel up, everyone has vanished from the room while Sebastian is still MID-SENTENCE. Where did everyone go? If they scattered then they did so fast, quietly and without it being conveyed at all on screen (other than the fact they've suddenly disappeared).

This is only 9 minutes into the episode. The rest of the episode has many repeats of what I've expressed to be disappointed with; the slidehows, the CGI, the mouth/lip flaps/sync... The CGI especially. It feels way overused to cut some very silly corners.

I'm glad Black Butler is back, and the show does look good most of the time when you pause it... but idk the animation just ain't it.
/rant
Apr 14, 6:25 AM

Jan 2017
Ciel and Sebastian are finally back! I can't believe it! I thought I was just daydreaming! I'm so happy! I miss them so much!!!
(okaaaayy let's breathe...) Anyway the premiere episode got me hooked already. The duo are up to another mystery cracking again and their personalities (and voices) were still the same. Dang I really couldn't contain my excitement that they're back on screen. Cloverworks are kicking it good this season, with Wind Breaker and this. Beautiful animation as always, interesting plot, and my lovable young master-butler pair is back...what bliss! 🖤
Apr 14, 6:27 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to KingBabyDuckESH
@KingBabyDuckESH Really?!!! WHERE? Wait---Imma watch it again...
Apr 14, 6:38 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to KingBabyDuckESH
@KingBabyDuckESH I've watched it the second time and I see no signs of Grell 😑
Apr 14, 7:30 AM

Dec 2016
It's a shame it's not A1 doing this anime again, from Book of Circus to Book of Atlantic was done so well. Visuals are nice but it feels like the scenes were glued together. Not consistent. It feels cheap to me, it's a weak start in my opinion. I hope it picks up or the story will carry this one alone.
Apr 14, 8:23 AM

Dec 2016
I almost lost all hope that the anime would continue but so happy it's finally back after so many years.

It does feel different because of all the changes but I'll get use to it soon. I wish Iwasaki Taku continued to compose the music for this season as well.

I read the manga but currently I have it on-hold. I barely remember the public school arc so most of the scenes will seem new to me. But I'm definitely looking forward to the cricket scene that was one of my favorite scenes.
Apr 14, 8:30 AM
Jul 2013
Almost 10 years since the last full season, but Ciel Phantomhive and Sebastian Michaelis are back for the public school arc.
Apr 14, 11:26 AM

Nov 2012
Reply to Niveen_Sleem
I have waited ten years for this! That "Yes, my lord" at the end kyaaaa. I know they were teasing us with it.

It's disappointing though they didn't use the word "Book" in the title like the previous installments.

I see they didn't use the word fag for the translation. It was in the manga when I read it 10 years ago, and I have to say it the right and most accurate word to use. Guess these spineless translators are too afraid to use it.
@Niveen_Sleem I can't believe it's been that long. Did you say it with him? I did.
Apr 14, 12:20 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to dragynfaerie
@Niveen_Sleem I can't believe it's been that long. Did you say it with him? I did.
@dragynfaerie No, I was just so intent on hearing it again. I did fall back and cheer when he said it.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 14, 2:57 PM
Jan 2021
sakurasyinks said:
@KingBabyDuckESH I've watched it the second time and I see no signs of Grell 😑

You don’t see him, but someone on the campus shares the same voice actor as him. So odds are…
Apr 14, 6:42 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to Cestlavie_
We are so back
He's as beautiful as the day I lost him
fodhujfhufjh why is new sebastian so sexy he was always there before but now....
Apr 15, 12:25 AM
Apr 2017
Am I the only one who watched the first episode and it was Ciel in Wonderland???? Like, it's what played and I do remember that there was a spin-off like that, but is it truly the first episode of the new season ? From what I see in the discussion, it's not.... what the fuck
Apr 15, 3:57 AM

Mar 2017
....Thx CloverWorks studio for this quality :,)
Feel pain, think about pain, accept pain, know pain... Shinra Tensei!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Kishuku Gakkou-hen Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18

34 by zehrariyoo »»
Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Kishuku Gakkou-hen Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4

21 by diabrete »»
May 19, 5:31 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Kishuku Gakkou-hen Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 11

37 by Mr_Fudgee »»
May 17, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Kishuku Gakkou-hen Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 27

25 by celu5 »»
May 17, 8:42 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Kishuku Gakkou-hen Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 20

27 by celu5 »»
May 17, 6:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.