Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 25, 2014 11:25 PM

Jan 2014
This is my first time posting in the forums, I read the rules so I hope I don't violate anything by asking this. Which did you guys and girls prefer? Subbed or dubbed? I usually go subbed with anime's but with Clannad I went dubbed, and I heard the dub for this anime was really good. Thoughts?
Problems that cannot be solved do not exist in this world.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 25, 2014 11:25 PM

Mar 2014
Subbed
Apr 25, 2014 11:28 PM

Nov 2012
sub. always sub.
Apr 25, 2014 11:29 PM

Jan 2014
Are you sure? Were the english voice actors really not good enough?

Apr 25, 2014 11:31 PM

Dec 2013
How dare thee mention dub and sub in the same context. You're trying to spark some war aren't you?
dub sucks
Apr 25, 2014 11:33 PM

Apr 2010
YurixSSS said:

Are they ever? #shotsfired
Apr 25, 2014 11:34 PM

Jan 2013
Definitely sub for Kanon
Apr 25, 2014 11:36 PM

Apr 2012
sub master race

UGGGGUUU

Apr 25, 2014 11:37 PM

Mar 2014
YurixSSS said:

No , they all sound like gorillas and make the girls sound like men.

Jan 2014
antonn said:
YurixSSS said:

Are they ever? #shotsfired

Lol okay you win. I'll go for the sub, thanks guys! Oh and no I wasn't trying to start a war at all lol, I'm just a bit of a newbie.

Aug 2011
I personally like to have both the Japanese and English audio tracks playing at the same time, accompanied by German subs.
Apr 26, 2014 1:07 AM

Sep 2012
Subbed.

Japanese dub got Tomokazu Sugita.
Apr 26, 2014 1:54 AM

Nov 2009
Subbed but dont get me wrong, the dub is pretty decent for Kanon 2006. Proudly own the dual audio DVD's for it =P

It's certainly better than Clannad's one.
Apr 26, 2014 3:53 AM

Nov 2010
this topic isn't against the rules (that i know off)

but... sub vs. dub topics are done in great numbers ;)

dunno if it gets aproved though seeing it's about kanon/clannad :D
Apr 26, 2014 4:45 AM

Sep 2013
I haven't seen it yet but I recommend to watch it subbed. I'm a dub lover don't get me wrong. But it's a moe show. Moe shows are meant to be watched in Japo since english voice actors can't get the "moe voice".
This is a signature.
Apr 26, 2014 7:12 AM
Dec 2013
Why are you even asking? I mean, you ask that question because you want to watch it dubbed but because of all the dub hate you are unsure. And the answer you get will just be more "pro sub".
If you want to watch it dubbed then do it. There is nothing wrong with it.
Apr 26, 2014 7:13 AM
Mar 2013
mclovinballz said:
Subbed
Apr 26, 2014 7:14 AM

Jan 2013
Play the VN
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 26, 2014 7:16 AM
Jul 2013
Dubbed. Extremely solid voice acting that is also well done in the way that it just eschews moe altogether and makes no attempt to incorporate it.

Take my word over the generic sub comments.
Apr 26, 2014 7:24 AM
Dec 2013
The dub is...........meh.
Apr 26, 2014 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
Always go Sub unless it has a good dub team. Like Black Lagoon, CBB, LAst Exile, and a couple others. Most Dub teams are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Apr 26, 2014 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
subbed til i die
Apr 26, 2014 9:34 AM

Dec 2012
Go with whichever one Funimation streams for free, legally.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Apr 26, 2014 9:35 AM

Sep 2011
i remmember the dub being perfectly acceptable but the sub does have sugita

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 26, 2014 9:36 AM

Mar 2014
mitch3315 said:
I personally like to have both the Japanese and English audio tracks playing at the same time, accompanied by German subs.
you're an intersting person, and your sig is addicting.

i only watched it dubbed. don't remember it being horrendesly bad.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Apr 26, 2014 9:37 AM

Jan 2013
eng dub is for dumbos. i don't even need japanese dub. I don't need sound. that's for filthy casuals
Apr 26, 2014 9:55 AM

Mar 2013
please dont listen to anyone who says "subs for life" or "sub master race" or anything like that because those are just dub haters who will always say that any dub is shit without even seeing it
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 26, 2014 9:56 AM
Mar 2013
mattbenz99 said:
please dont listen to anyone who says "subs for life" or "sub master race" or anything like that because those are just dub haters who will always say that any dub is shit without even seeing it
People can have opinions
Apr 26, 2014 9:57 AM

Apr 2010
JD2411 said:
mattbenz99 said:
People can have opinions

Not if they differ from my own.
Apr 26, 2014 10:04 AM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
mattbenz99 said:
People can have opinions
not if they havent seen the dub before.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 26, 2014 10:06 AM
Dec 2013
JD2411 said:
mattbenz99 said:
People can have opinions

The people who he is referring to don't have an opinion. You can't call 'Dub is shit' as an opinion. It's like I would say 'He is shit..because he is shit'.
Apr 26, 2014 10:17 AM

May 2011
Watch the Dub,in Subs the joks aren't nearly as funny...same goes for clannad<_<

As long as your not an elitist...you will enjoy it -.-
ClashmoreApr 26, 2014 10:29 AM
''I was dead serious''

Apr 26, 2014 10:38 AM

Jun 2013
the sub is so much more kawaii dear lovely
#uguu!
Apr 26, 2014 1:03 PM

Jan 2014
Despite everyone who said Sub, I think I'm going to try the dub. The very few who did say to watch the dub seemed to enjoy the show, and I'm not even sure how many of you actually watched it subbed. Sorry guys lol, I think I'll enjoy it though.

Apr 26, 2014 1:04 PM
Jul 2013
good choice
Apr 26, 2014 1:05 PM

Sep 2011
BlackteZz said:
Watch the Dub,in Subs the joks aren't nearly as funny...same goes for clannad<_<

As long as your not an elitist...you will enjoy it -.-
that i disagree with, i think the clannad dub is downright terrible and doesnt do either the comedy nor the drama correctly, the only good from it was whoever voice tomoya did a really good job. Kanon did a good job on its comedy and especially its drama

which kind of makes me wonder since almost all the people from the kanon dub were in the clannad dub except for chris patton so i question how one wasnt that good

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 26, 2014 1:06 PM

Apr 2013
I watched it dubbed and the dub is pretty good

try the dub first, if you don't like it then switch to sub
Apr 26, 2014 2:42 PM

Jun 2007
Most of the "subs4ever" "+1" "this" quote-chainers are people who have that knee-jerk reaction to dubs in general without actually watching very many of them, much less the actual dub in question. I've seen both (because watching one doesn't magically prevent you from ever rewatching the other), and they're both good. As long as you don't hate dubs in general, you probably won't hate Kanon's dub.

JizzyHitler said:
that i disagree with, i think the clannad dub is downright terrible and doesnt do either the comedy nor the drama correctly, the only good from it was whoever voice tomoya did a really good job. Kanon did a good job on its comedy and especially its drama

which kind of makes me wonder since almost all the people from the kanon dub were in the clannad dub except for chris patton so i question how one wasn't that good
Simple -- the Kanon dub was done in 2008 in the ADV era, and the Clannad dub was done in 2010 in the Sentai era. What difference does two years make? At that point in 2008, ADV was in a deal with the Japanese investment group Sojitz and some other companies, which gave ADV cash infusions to use for licensing and dubbing anime. Kanon's dub also had more time available for retakes and rewrites, as it was released in 4-episode single DVDs instead of the complete collection format of Clannad's dub. But things started to go sour between ADV and Sojitz during 2008 as North American sales took a nosedive, and when Sojitz cut things off, ADV had to break itself up and reorganize as Section23, Sentai Filmworks, Maiden Japan, Seraphim Studios, etc. (Note that Kanon's last disc was released by Funimation after all of ADV's titles they licensed in ~2007-2008 under the Sojitz deal got transferred to Funimation.)

Once ADV went through this transformation, dubbing budgets went down and timetables sped up, resulting in the mistake-filled dubs and rushed subtitle script readthroughs we know from Sentai today. But it's not enough to look at the voice actors involved; you have to look at the directors and scriptwriters as well. Clannad's first quarter was written and directed by controversial director Steven Foster, who does well with comedy and action but not so well with drama and romance. The last 3 quarters were directed by Janice Williams (whose directing work is generally average) and written by Clint Bickham (about whom I have nothing good or bad to say). So you have jobs changing hands and more potential for inconsistency. Kanon, otoh, was directed by Kyle Jones, who'd always done solid work with drama shows (Diamond Daydreams, Kino's Journey, Madlax, Air), and written either by Jones himself or Kathleen Moynihan, who generally does good liberal scripts that don't stray too far into pointless rewrite territory.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Apr 26, 2014 2:52 PM

Oct 2013
Weeabos: omg-desu subs aru crapdo. Sub is Sugoi-ne Sore ga sugurete iru-desuuu!!
Dub are veryu americansu, kawaii nippon ichii-desu
Baka gaijin dub nani-desu
Apr 26, 2014 2:55 PM

Apr 2013
GEO9875 said:
Weeabos: omg-desu subs aru crapdo. Sub is Sugoi-ne Sore ga sugurete iru-desuuu!!
Dub are veryu americansu, kawaii nippon ichii-desu
Baka gaijin dub nani-desu

So hating dubs=weeaboo

not true
Apr 26, 2014 3:04 PM

Jun 2013
Dub. Always dub, unless it's something like School Days.
Apr 26, 2014 3:06 PM

Apr 2013
White-Shinigami said:
Dub. Always dub, unless it's something like School Days.

So basically always dub unless it has no dub

Cause you can't be suggesting that School Days is bad, right?
Apr 26, 2014 3:10 PM
Mar 2013
dubs are shit because they make it easier for americans to view anime by switching japanese culture references to american culture references

at least with subs you get the TL notes explaining the reference but they don't do that with dubs. It's like dubbing companies don't realise there are other english speaking countries outside of north america
Apr 26, 2014 6:11 PM

Aug 2012
JD2411 said:
at least with subs you get the TL notes explaining the reference but they don't do that with dubs. It's like dubbing companies don't realise there are other english speaking countries outside of north america
TL notes should be illegal. It's basically a crutch for lazy and/or bad translators, that's why dubs are better, especially the ones that are rewritten to suit the audience. At least with dubs you don't have to read something to understand it. It's like subbers don't realize how bad they are.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 26, 2014 6:37 PM

Mar 2013
gamer2710 said:
JD2411 said:
TL notes should be illegal. It's basically a crutch for lazy and/or bad translators, that's why dubs are better, especially the ones that are rewritten to suit the audience. At least with dubs you don't have to read something to understand it. It's like subbers don't realize how bad they are.
+1

Apr 26, 2014 6:41 PM
Mar 2013
gamer2710 said:
JD2411 said:
How is that relevant to anything I said?

I said it's disgusting how dubs only cater to north american audiences by changing japanese culture references to american culture references. That's why TL notes are beneficial because they explain the reference to non-japanese viewers whereas the vile american companies don't take into account foreigners at all.
Apr 26, 2014 6:45 PM

Apr 2013
JD2411 said:
gamer2710 said:
JD2411 said:

I said it's disgusting how dubs only cater to north american audiences by changing japanese culture references to american culture references. That's why TL notes are beneficial because they explain the reference to non-japanese viewers whereas the vile american companies don't take into account foreigners at all.

I agree with JD here. TL notes are definitely helpful and I usually would rather understand the reference than get a weird translation.
Apr 26, 2014 6:46 PM

Mar 2014
JD2411 said:
gamer2710 said:
JD2411 said:

I have to disagrree on not caring. I just think they don't like non American people watching their stuff. A lot of funi's previews are blocked in the Phillipenes and other places like Australlia, most likely because they don't sell there annd therefore don't feel obligated to consider them part of their target audience.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Apr 26, 2014 6:56 PM

Mar 2013
StardustPhantom said:
JD2411 said:
gamer2710 said:
JD2411 said:

I have to disagrree on not caring. I just think they don't like non American people watching their stuff. A lot of funi's previews are blocked in the Phillipenes and other places like Australlia, most likely because they don't sell there annd therefore don't feel obligated to consider them part of their target audience.

no it isnt that they dont want to it is because they dont have the right to sell to non north americans. funimation is a north american company that licenses anime in north america. if they wanted to include europe or australia they would need to buy a license to sell anime in those regions and that would be quite a large risk.

Apr 26, 2014 6:58 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
gamer2710 said:
JD2411 said:

but jokes are not funny if they have to be explained. i mean ever tell a joke to a friend have them not understand it then have to explain it to them? that is what TL notes are the jokes that you dont get having to be explained to you

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Kanon (2006) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kei-clone - Dec 15, 2006

57 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 22, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Metty - Jan 30, 2008

63 by metalrain_15 »»
Mar 5, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

162 by asbest0sdust »»
Feb 29, 4:21 AM

» Kanon (2006) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aokaado - Dec 30, 2006

83 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Jan 31, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Metty - Jan 30, 2008

82 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Jan 30, 7:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.