Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 7, 5:36 AM

May 2019
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone else got the urge to learn the sign language thx to this show?
My life is related to different languages anyway (even my university major is language-based), I really like learning them and this anime actually made me think more about the sign language: how cool it looks, how useful it is and how much Deaf people actually appreciate you speaking it. I also found out that lip-reading is actually a very hard and rare skill, some sources even say that:
Because there are about three times as many phonemes as visemes in English, it is often claimed that only 30% of speech can be lip read

So ye, I bet that in some countries lip-reading is actually out of the question for the most of Deaf people. Rn I'm actually thinking about learning the local sign language when I'm out of the university (at least if my future job won't force me to learn some other one instead) :>
Feb 7, 5:45 AM
May 2023
was I jealous of how cool oushi looked when signing to Yuki? maybe ... have I thought about learning it just so I can sign to a cute deaf girl whilst looking badass? possibly. will I do it? probably not.
Feb 7, 5:48 AM
Dec 2022
Yea, I for sure do feel that way.
Feb 7, 6:07 AM
Oct 2023
yeah same i really wanna learn it, and i think it could also help me with my future job since i’m a med student!! but i wont tell my future deaf patients if i have some that i learned sign language because of an anime and not because i wanted to be able to communicate with them in the first place… they would be disappointed 🤧
Feb 7, 7:23 AM
Aug 2021
zorozoruzori said:
yeah same i really wanna learn it, and i think it could also help me with my future job since i’m a med student!! but i wont tell my future deaf patients if i have some that i learned sign language because of an anime and not because i wanted to be able to communicate with them in the first place… they would be disappointed 🤧

I think any reason is good to learn something usefull (:
Feb 7, 7:37 AM
Aug 2021
I already wanted to learn sign language, this just makes me want to learn it more
Feb 7, 7:41 AM
Jul 2023
i found sign language pretty cool in the past but after watching A Silent Voice and this episode i just found it x10 more awesome, i think im gonna start learning it if i get enough time and motivation
Feb 7, 7:41 AM
Jul 2023
SweatyFingers said:
i found sign language pretty cool in the past but after watching A Silent Voice and this episode i just found it x10 more awesome, i think im gonna start learning it if i get enough time and motivation

anime* not episode lol
Feb 7, 7:54 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to holo-simp
was I jealous of how cool oushi looked when signing to Yuki? maybe ... have I thought about learning it just so I can sign to a cute deaf girl whilst looking badass? possibly. will I do it? probably not.
@sayu-simp hahah, what i will probably say also
Feb 7, 8:15 AM
Jan 2024
I’ve been learning asl anyway so when I saw this that just made me wanna learn JSL too
Feb 7, 11:36 AM

Jul 2015
I'd been learning LSA (lengua de señas argentina) anyway, but yeah, makes me want to learn some JSL as well.
NazreenWhalFeb 7, 11:53 AM
Feb 7, 11:54 AM
Jan 2021
I genuinely have wanted to learn in the past but this brought up that need to learn it again. It just seems wholesome and nice being able to communicate with more people. It also must make people who use sign language and have a slight/severe hearing disability happy to see :D

I’m way too busy cause of school and other hobbies i’m training on but it’s on my list!!
Feb 7, 1:24 PM

Aug 2020
I've been thinking about learning it for a while, and this show reminded me of this plan.

Feb 7, 3:03 PM
Feb 2021
Yeah I’m learning because of this show too
Feb 7, 3:41 PM
Oct 2023
I already know sign language ever since I watched A Silent Voice for 3 months. Then there's this 1 time that I met a deaf student in my college trying to ask questions using her phone and I answered her using sign language. She was shocked.
Feb 7, 4:23 PM

May 2019
Marconaeus said:
I already know sign language ever since I watched A Silent Voice for 3 months. Then there's this 1 time that I met a deaf student in my college trying to ask questions using her phone and I answered her using sign language. She was shocked.

Aw that's amazing! Such a wholesome memory
Feb 7, 7:09 PM

Jun 2012
I started learning sign language because of it xD

JSL (actually helps practising japanese overall as the content where you study it is japanese lol)

also the random ASL sign too but still unsure if I should study that one or the french one for a more international context as there is no international Sign language (and FSL is the main "mother sign language" of a vast majority)

rn i will stick to JSL as Japan is -hopefully- the next country I'll stay for a couple of years next

- I only draw freestyle! -
Feb 7, 8:04 PM
Mar 2022
Sign language is interesting.
But would I learn it?
No.
Feb 7, 8:10 PM

Mar 2021
I've already read a few sign language comics, so apart from this one, I got interested in sign language many years ago.

Feb 8, 1:35 PM
Jan 2019
i already started dutch sign language when the anime came out
Feb 9, 6:31 PM

Mar 2012
NazreenWhal said:
I'd been learning LSA (lengua de señas argentina) anyway, but yeah, makes me want to learn some JSL as well.

Same, I went to classes a few years ago.
I also learned Japanese, which I think would make learning JSL easier, but I don't think anyone around here teaches it, I'm bad at learning on my own.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

108 by pillowofwinds »»
Yesterday, 1:37 PM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 17

104 by pillowofwinds »»
Yesterday, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10

143 by pillowofwinds »»
Jun 4, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3

129 by pillowofwinds »»
Jun 4, 5:25 PM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

127 by pillowofwinds »»
Jun 4, 1:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.