Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 29, 2023 4:38 AM
Feb 2022
Now that S2 is done (with mixed reception), how do you rate the show overall when compared to other fantasy titles? Do you like it as much or more than Aot, FMAB, Houseki No Kuni, Berserk, Avatar The Last Airbender, Harry Potter, Witcher, LOTR, GOT, and etc. How does it compete?

I personally thought the show had at times genuinely good worldbuilding, but only at maybe the first season. After it just became imo more and more generic with standard isekai tropey bs
ShuisBased2Sep 29, 2023 4:50 AM
Sep 29, 2023 4:42 AM

Sep 2020
I really enjoyed it(both seasons), I really like the characters, the worldbuilding and the atmosphere of it, whether it's intense or calm, and it's probably my top 5 isekai series in anime.
Sep 29, 2023 4:46 AM

Feb 2020
Mushoku Tensei and LOTR... Nice comparison.
Sep 29, 2023 4:53 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Serafos
Mushoku Tensei and LOTR... Nice comparison.
@Serafos I mean quality aside, they are both high fantasy epics with the main characters embarking on a grand sweeping story around the world. With some coming of age stuff going on as well
Sep 29, 2023 4:57 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@Kimo45 I second this opinion...number 1 on my must avoid list

Sep 29, 2023 5:13 AM

Oct 2018
One of the worst scripts that I have seen in my life
Horrible characters
World building based on *tell, don't show"

I'd say it's one of the worst anime ever made, but hey it's got amazing production value, so it's great right?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Sep 29, 2023 5:17 AM

Feb 2021
The light novel is a masterpiece, that's all I know.
Sep 29, 2023 5:18 AM
Apr 2021
Never have I seen such a bad script with such high production value.
Sep 29, 2023 6:13 AM

Sep 2018
How good is Mushoku Tensei compared to other fantasy titles?

AoT? MT is miles better
FMAB? Kinda even with s1, s2 is a bit worse
Houseki no Kuni? HnK is miles better
Berserk? Berserk manga is better, every Berserk anime is worse
Harry Potter? I watched the movies too long ago to remember but I guess MT is better
Witcher? Never read/watched
LOTR? I watched the movies too long ago to remember but I guess LOTR is better
GoT? The good seasons of GoT are better, not the horrendous finale of course
Sep 29, 2023 6:45 AM

Jul 2021
It's pretty good, I enjoy.
Also what other fantasy isekai is there about Erectile dysfunction???
Sep 29, 2023 6:54 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Nirinbo

AoT? MT is miles better
Harry Potter? I watched the movies too long ago to remember but I guess MT is better
@Nirinbo GoT could have been the GOAT if the author actually finished the fucking books...
Sep 29, 2023 6:54 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Nirinbo

AoT? MT is miles better
@Nirinbo GoT could have been the GOAT if the author actually finished the fucking books...
Sep 29, 2023 7:09 AM

Oct 2010
it's inferior at everything, mushoku is just some generic isekai with cool visuals
Sep 29, 2023 7:21 AM

Jul 2020
to me is the best one and its not even close
Sep 29, 2023 7:53 AM

Dec 2020
The main appeal of Mushoku Tensei (at least for me) lies in its character design, backgrounds and art direction in general. The world looks very lived in and intentionally beautiful at the same time. It has very good music as well.
Storywise, I don't think it is fair to compare all of those titles since they are very different and have their own good qualities.
Even so overall, I like it more than all the mentioned titles.

Sep 29, 2023 8:06 AM
Nov 2019
90% of all anime is fantasy, so you cant just compare them however you like. you need to think of what the show is, what is wants to do, and how it does it. none of the things you mentioned (aside from avatar) are close enough to be put on the same scale as MT. (and I'm not even talking quality, I mean in genre, themes, general tone etc.)

PS: you put harry potter and LOTR in the same list which is extra funny to me. just saying, have some standards bro.
PS #2: and you actually asked if MT is better than berserk which tells me you have neither read berserk nor MT. (watching doesn't count in either case, you need to read these.)
kushakashiSep 29, 2023 8:15 AM
Sep 29, 2023 8:10 AM
Apr 2020
It's just another generic isekai anime. It baffles me to see it compared with the list you provided.
Sep 29, 2023 8:29 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr Yeah, closing storylines in a satisfactory way is much harder than opening them, so we don't know if the final books would be as good as the others or more like the TV series; I'd expect somewhere in the middle.
Sep 29, 2023 8:32 AM

Mar 2021
you are honestly not going to know until they adapt more of the later volumes. There are a lot of shows that we say are masterpieces in season 1, flounder in following seasons. i have read enough spoilers I don't think Mushoku's plot is going to blow people's minds out of the water. I can apply this with a lot of other ln series like Konosuba, Slime. Konosuba prequel aniticipation was so high yet it flounded so bad, it is almost impossible to imagine it was that anticipated.
Sep 29, 2023 8:43 AM

Sep 2018
It is not bad, but I prefer other fantasies
Ngnl
Konosuba
Reincarnated as a slime
Re zero
Bookworm
Ucchi no ko no tame
Ect
Sep 29, 2023 8:44 AM

Apr 2018
If we compare "pure Isekai anime" than i would say MT is one of the best.

If we compare to Aot,FMA,Avatar, Berserk, or others you mention, we need to do different comparison.
Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes.
It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo.
Sep 29, 2023 9:52 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Nirinbo
@JaniSIr Yeah, closing storylines in a satisfactory way is much harder than opening them, so we don't know if the final books would be as good as the others or more like the TV series; I'd expect somewhere in the middle.
@Nirinbo You know, at that point basically all they needed to do is NOT subvert our expectations, and it would have been pretty good.

The story had enough plot twists for like 3 others already, they just had to rely on the hype for a satisfying ending.
Sep 29, 2023 4:14 PM

May 2019
It's fine i guess, it's nowhere near the all time greats and classics but isn't bad either.
Sep 29, 2023 4:28 PM
Night Owl

Sep 2022
It is definitely not even close to being the best, but it's still good and worth the watch.
Sep 29, 2023 4:41 PM

Mar 2019
I even like the first season, now this second season was a joke, turned into a school anime because Rudeus get fail to get a hard-on.. fuck everyone involved. u.u

Sep 29, 2023 5:16 PM

May 2018
"How good is Mushoku Tensei compared to other fantasy titles"

Even My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic can beat it to pulp.
Sep 29, 2023 6:08 PM

Apr 2013
Want a honest answer from someone who has been reading Fantasy very frequently for the last 25+ years ? Pretty bad if compared to fantasy in general and not just fantasy anime, honestly.
Its major selling point is its animation after all, which for the story itself isn't doing anything obviously. One of the best part of the story is the world building but even that is below average at best so far. Comparing it to some of the best fantasy world building would seriously be pointless, we have to compare it with the average to even start discussing of where it stands, as nothing stands out as better than average fantasy world building. The characters, interactions, the story, everything else is honestly even worse.

I know that it has a fanbase that likes to hype it as "peak isekai" and the like, but honestly, you can only call this peak if all that you read and watch is way below average as well... Or if you're blinded by your love for the story, as there's no link between how much someone like something and how good it is, as usual.

Now, note that being below average doesn't mean that it's near the bottom. There's indeed catastrophically worse out there.
ZefyrisSep 29, 2023 6:11 PM
Sep 29, 2023 6:18 PM

Jan 2023
Episodes 1-9 were amazing, I was hooked, but 9-12 was trash.
Episodes 12-24 were extremely overrated by the vast majority of the community.
Episodes 25-36 started off mid, and the last 9 episodes were pure trash. The writing reminded me of Vinland Saga S2 and its degradation.

People in 2021 claimed MT was a better isekai than Slime. Try saying that in 2023, it's a joke. MT has no direction, its dementia in an anime form.
Sep 29, 2023 6:24 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to ShuisBased2
@Serafos I mean quality aside, they are both high fantasy epics with the main characters embarking on a grand sweeping story around the world. With some coming of age stuff going on as well
@ShuisBased2 That’s like saying Mushoku Tensei is similar to A Song of Ice and Fire (GOT) because they both have sex and violence.

And by the way,

A Song of Ice and Fire (GOT) >>>>>>> Mushoku Tensei
Sep 29, 2023 6:41 PM

Jul 2019
If you watch fantasy so you can see depressed teens dealing with erectile disfunction, then it's the best out there.
Sep 29, 2023 7:21 PM

May 2021
Haven't watched Season 2 yet, so probably not the best person to answer this, but it's... existent. The world it creates is interesting, though leagues less impressive than some of the series you listed, but the narrative is consistently rather boring and poorly crafted even on its better episodes, only really held up by solid character dynamics, though the development and characterization of its cast can be pretty inconsistent and off-putting a lot of the time in a way which frequently invalidates its themes.

In comparison to other Fantasy works, it's nowhere near the greats, but it's at least better than the worst I've seen. In comparison to the ones you listed, it's far below Berserk, ATLA, GOT, and LOTR, about on the same level as Harry Potter, and I haven't seen enough of the rest of the ones you mentioned.
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Sep 30, 2023 3:20 AM
Feb 2022
@Dadase How is Breaking Bad a fantasy though?
Sep 30, 2023 3:22 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Nirinbo

AoT? MT is miles better
@Nirinbo Don't get me wrong I like Mushoku Tensei, but how the hell is it miles better than AoT?
Sep 30, 2023 3:31 AM

Apr 2022
i much prefer berserk, harry potter and aot over it. would prefer fmab, lotr and atla as well even though i'm not the biggest fan of those. basically, it's solid for isekai standards but just alright for fantasy.
Sep 30, 2023 3:51 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to ShuisBased2
@Nirinbo Don't get me wrong I like Mushoku Tensei, but how the hell is it miles better than AoT?
@ShuisBased2 because I hold AoT in very low regard, more than MT's merits. Poor characters, shock factor, plot armor, unnecessarily slow pacing and, as always, people value how good the synopsis is more than how well the plot is executed.
Sep 30, 2023 12:22 PM

May 2020
Reply to Zefyris
Want a honest answer from someone who has been reading Fantasy very frequently for the last 25+ years ? Pretty bad if compared to fantasy in general and not just fantasy anime, honestly.
Its major selling point is its animation after all, which for the story itself isn't doing anything obviously. One of the best part of the story is the world building but even that is below average at best so far. Comparing it to some of the best fantasy world building would seriously be pointless, we have to compare it with the average to even start discussing of where it stands, as nothing stands out as better than average fantasy world building. The characters, interactions, the story, everything else is honestly even worse.

I know that it has a fanbase that likes to hype it as "peak isekai" and the like, but honestly, you can only call this peak if all that you read and watch is way below average as well... Or if you're blinded by your love for the story, as there's no link between how much someone like something and how good it is, as usual.

Now, note that being below average doesn't mean that it's near the bottom. There's indeed catastrophically worse out there.
@Zefyris I was waiting for a response like this. Almost couldn't believe I saw "crappy isekai with slightly more effort put into the world" being compared to Lord of the Rings. You're definitely right that there are much worse things out there though.
Sep 30, 2023 12:35 PM

Feb 2019
It’s pretty good. Above average in terms of writing, characters, world building. I’m not big into fantasy and I enjoyed it a lot. But it’s still not better than Rezero or Berserk for me.
Sep 30, 2023 3:49 PM
Apr 2022
After reading the light novel , Mushoku Tensei is up there. S2 part 2 will be the best season compared to the first 3 when its out and it gets only better from there. Newest Season is definitely the worst so far. I understand the idea that it seemed to fall into isekai tropes, but you have to realise that Mushoku Tensei created most isekai tropes as it was one of the first isekai. The charater writing is where I would say it excells at and the worldbuilding but other fantasy do worldbuilding better. Definitely not as good as LOTR and GOT (Book), an arguement for Avatar LAB and while I prefer it to Berserk, Berserk is better. Alot of it will come down to prefernce and if you can stomach some of the sexual shit
FreshMop36Sep 30, 2023 3:55 PM
Sep 30, 2023 4:13 PM

Nov 2019
It wears its perversion like a thorny crown without any other thing to further do with.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Oct 1, 2023 6:51 AM
Feb 2022
Speaking of AOT thoguh.... 18 new pagesss boysss, more memes for 10 YEARS AT LEAST
Oct 1, 2023 8:11 AM

Mar 2021
Personally, I think it is in the top of the interesting category of fantasy reincarnated in Isekai, but if you look at it as a regular fantasy, I think it is at the average level of interesting.

Oct 1, 2023 10:24 AM
Jul 2021
MT is not even the same league as those mentioned series, forget about being even close to them. It is a decent isekai tho(the first season only till now)
Oct 1, 2023 10:34 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread moved to the correct board.
Oct 1, 2023 7:17 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to Tablekun
Episodes 1-9 were amazing, I was hooked, but 9-12 was trash.
Episodes 12-24 were extremely overrated by the vast majority of the community.
Episodes 25-36 started off mid, and the last 9 episodes were pure trash. The writing reminded me of Vinland Saga S2 and its degradation.

People in 2021 claimed MT was a better isekai than Slime. Try saying that in 2023, it's a joke. MT has no direction, its dementia in an anime form.
@Tablekun bait used to believable not to mention that slime isnt even aimed at the same direction of mushoku
Oct 2, 2023 12:55 AM

Oct 2019
mushoku tensei is a perfectly built generic power fantasy.

its plain bread, but its the best plain bread you can find on the mareket.

i would say its a great fantasy, but i would not put it next to shows that have both great world building and are original in concept (made in abyss, shinsekai yori...)
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 2, 2023 3:00 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to Nirinbo
@ShuisBased2 because I hold AoT in very low regard, more than MT's merits. Poor characters, shock factor, plot armor, unnecessarily slow pacing and, as always, people value how good the synopsis is more than how well the plot is executed.
@Nirinbo peak aot moments is ten billion times better than pedo sensei could ever be, atleast aot will be remembered for 10yrs atleast
Hentaii_animeOct 2, 2023 5:25 AM
Oct 2, 2023 4:54 AM

Jan 2019
Re:ZERO is the top modern japanese fantasy.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Oct 2, 2023 6:45 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to Hentaii_anime
@Nirinbo peak aot moments is ten billion times better than pedo sensei could ever be, atleast aot will be remembered for 10yrs atleast
@Hentaii_anime the bottom aot moments (like the upcoming finale) will also be remembered for many years.
Oct 2, 2023 6:49 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to Nirinbo
@Hentaii_anime the bottom aot moments (like the upcoming finale) will also be remembered for many years.
@Nirinbo atleast aot had its peak unlike pedo sensei which is straight up shit ever since cour 2. S2 is about a pedo trying to cure his ED lol, what a joke of a series

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MegamiRem - Sep 24, 2023

455 by marta_valse »»
Jun 5, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2023

300 by marta_valse »»
Jun 5, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2023

225 by marta_valse »»
Jun 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Giorgosman13 - Sep 3, 2023

237 by marta_valse »»
Jun 5, 4:33 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2023

284 by marta_valse »»
Jun 5, 1:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.