Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2022 2:34 PM
Sep 2020
This probably comes as a huge surprise to everyone, myself included, but Sonny Boy was nominated for Crunchyroll's Anime of the Year award, along with 86, AOT S4 Part 1, JJK 2nd Cour, Oddtaxi & Ousama Ranking.

I certainly don't think Sonny Boy will go far in terms of winning the award, likely placing last or close, since it's the least popular by a large margin. Still, I'm really excited to see Crunchyroll acknowledged it and placed it over a lot of really good anime that aired in 2021! This also means a lot of curious voters might give Sonny Boy a try :)

If you'd like to vote for Sonny Boy (or another anime) to be the Crunchyroll 2021 Anime of the Year you can follow this link.

Additionally, Shingo Natsume (Director of Sonny Boy) was nominated for Best Director (which I think is extremely deserved, considering how involved he was in the project)

What are your thoughts? Will you vote for Sonny Boy? Where do you think it will place?
Jan 18, 2022 2:46 PM
Apr 2021
Honestly there were definitely better anime than Sonny Boy but it deserves the nomination. The directing was amazing but the anime as a whole wasn't too good in my opinion.

Jan 18, 2022 2:55 PM
Sep 2020
Gio_14 said:
Honestly there were definitely better anime than Sonny Boy but it deserves the nomination. The directing was amazing but the anime as a whole wasn't too good in my opinion.

I totally see what you mean. I'm certainly not disappointed since I think all the other AOTY nominations are great, besides JJK perhaps. I definitely think Shingo Natsume is easily the most deserving of the Best Director award, but with the popularity of Sonny Boy it's unlikely his nomination will go far sadly.
Jan 18, 2022 2:57 PM
Apr 2021
danielsalt said:
Gio_14 said:

I totally see what you mean. I'm certainly not disappointed since I think all the other AOTY nominations are great, besides JJK perhaps. I definitely think Shingo Natsume is easily the most deserving of the Best Director award, but with the popularity of Sonny Boy it's unlikely his nomination will go far sadly.

The Crunchyroll anime awards are definitely a popularity contest rather than a contest of what's the best. So it really sucks that such a good director won't get his award.

Jan 18, 2022 3:12 PM
Jan 2021
It’s so boring when anime like AOT, DS, and JJK are nominated and almost win or do win every year. I personally think most of the nominations for the awards are either dumb or just the same anime repeating
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jan 18, 2022 3:12 PM
May 2020
Not my favourite anime of the year but by far the most underrated. Amazing anime. It’s one of those anime that the more I think about it the more I love it.
Jan 18, 2022 3:16 PM
Sep 2020
official_brown said:
It’s so boring when anime like AOT, DS, and JJK are nominated and almost win or do win every year. I personally think most of the nominations for the awards are either dumb or just the same anime repeating

Exactly. Oddtaxi, Sonny Boy and Ousama Ranking are great nominations. 86 is fine with me too since it's a new anime, although I don't think it's as innovative or overall as good as the other 3. Attack on Titan shouldn't be there and JJK being there for the second year in a row with the excuse that it's a "2nd cour" is ridiculous.
Jan 18, 2022 3:20 PM
Jan 2021
danielsalt said:
official_brown said:

Exactly. Oddtaxi, Sonny Boy and Ousama Ranking are great nominations. 86 is fine with me too since it's a new anime, although I don't think it's as innovative or overall as good as the other 3. Attack on Titan shouldn't be there and JJK being there for the second year in a row with the excuse that it's a "2nd cour" is ridiculous.

Yeah, although I liked JJK, it shouldn’t have won last year and it’s going to be ridiculous that it has a chance to win a second time in a row. I personally think that Vivy should be at least in AOTY. But I just voted and it’s the same like 6 shows for almost every category and it’s just kinda sad the nominations for half and them. And I’m pretty sure that the shows I really liked won’t be picked because of all of the big names.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jan 18, 2022 3:21 PM
Sep 2020
FreshSalmon827 said:
Not my favourite anime of the year but by far the most underrated. Amazing anime. It’s one of those anime that the more I think about it the more I love it.

+1. Sonny Boy is just such a special anime to me, I love the characters, art, sound, setting. Shingo Natsume nurtured it like its own child and the more I see of it the more I fall in love with it over again.
Jan 18, 2022 3:22 PM

Sep 2021
odd taxi sonny boy and ousama ranking are all awesome but 86 is literally my favourite anime of all time so thars where my vote is going
hgwnejmp.ädqwsd
Jan 18, 2022 3:30 PM
Sep 2020
official_brown said:
danielsalt said:

Yeah, although I liked JJK, it shouldn’t have won last year and it’s going to be ridiculous that it has a chance to win a second time in a row. I personally think that Vivy should be at least in AOTY. But I just voted and it’s the same like 6 shows for almost every category and it’s just kinda sad the nominations for half and them. And I’m pretty sure that the shows I really liked won’t be picked because of all of the big names.

Overall I think the Crunchyroll Awards are flawed just by the nature of how they're made. Hell, if One Piece was nominated all One Piece fans would make it win. With the influence Crunchyroll has it's a fantastic chance to promote great anime that goes under the radar (i.e. Sonny Boy, Vivy) instead of... *sigh* JJK. Especially looking at all the other categories it was all the same shows over and over again, which is seriously a shame. And on top of that all I can't get over the fact that Furuba wasn't nominated for AOTY... Everything about Crunchyroll is a mess, but at least we can celebrate the small victories with some of this year's unlikely but deserved nominations!
Jan 18, 2022 4:07 PM
Jan 2021
One thing that impressed me is that this show don't use any monologues from the characters. Didn't noticed at first until I read a tweet about that.
Jan 18, 2022 7:15 PM

Feb 2019
I don’t understand how mushoku tensei was not nominated
Jan 18, 2022 7:18 PM

Jun 2021
HoesEatinDogFood said:
I don’t understand how mushoku tensei was not nominated
Guarantee it's because it's so controversial, even though it's one of if not the best anime to come out this year, they prob didn't include it because of the controversy surrounding it. Crunchyroll proving for the thousandths time that they are dumb af.
Jan 18, 2022 7:37 PM

Feb 2019
A pleasant surprise to say the least. Glad they actually picked a good show instead of popular garbage like Tokyo Revengers or something.
Jan 18, 2022 8:28 PM

May 2021
It is the best anime of 2021 no one can disagree lol
Jan 18, 2022 9:44 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
How? That show was confusing as hell lol
Jan 18, 2022 11:57 PM
Nov 2020
tbh i expected it to be in some categories like best ending, animation, ost or direction but holy shit the nomination for anime of the year. Couldn’t be happier. Locked in my vote
Jan 19, 2022 12:34 AM

Jun 2021
Hope Sonny boy at least wins the best director award. I know AOTY is probably impossible
Everything is Garbage
except LoGH
Jan 19, 2022 9:27 AM
Apr 2021
I don't really get it why is jujutsu kaisen there wasn't it last years winner
Jan 20, 2022 3:18 AM
Jul 2021
It's my obvious vote from all of the options
Imo it is the best one from all the nominees and I am saying this while being a big jjk and aot fan
Jan 20, 2022 6:00 AM

Feb 2021
danielsalt said:
This probably comes as a huge surprise to everyone, myself included, but Sonny Boy was nominated for Crunchyroll's Anime of the Year award, along with 86, AOT S4 Part 1, JJK 2nd Cour, Oddtaxi & Ousama Ranking.

I certainly don't think Sonny Boy will go far in terms of winning the award, likely placing last or close, since it's the least popular by a large margin. Still, I'm really excited to see Crunchyroll acknowledged it and placed it over a lot of really good anime that aired in 2021! This also means a lot of curious voters might give Sonny Boy a try :)

If you'd like to vote for Sonny Boy (or another anime) to be the Crunchyroll 2021 Anime of the Year you can follow this link.

Additionally, Shingo Natsume (Director of Sonny Boy) was nominated for Best Director (which I think is extremely deserved, considering how involved he was in the project)

What are your thoughts? Will you vote for Sonny Boy? Where do you think it will place?

Crunchyroll awards are a joke for the most part. I've been calling Sonny Boy my personal anime of the year since it was still airing, and I watched a lot of seasonal anime last year. I was pretty pleased to see it get nominated for anime of the year and best director. I believe it deserves both awards but I don't see it winning.

-DxP- said:
How? That show was confusing as hell lol

99% of people whom I saw post online who don't like Sonny Boy don't like it simply because they don't understand what the staff were trying to do. It's fine if someone doesn't like it, but at least understand what it was trying to accomplish. Regardless, it's so obvious with the dialogue alone what it wants to say that it's odd people missed the point. Its a mystery that the director based much of the writing under the context of the absurdity and unknowingness of life. I think for a lot of people this was their first anime like this and they just found it too different to what they are used to and went hostile against it. It's something that doesn't require much thinking, but an imagination as well. In an age were so many viewers are used to a series spoon feeding them everything and who want an answer to everything, that wasn't the point or what it was trying to do. I'd suggest reading staff interviews so you can see what the director was trying to do.
Jan 20, 2022 6:16 AM
Sep 2020
bryn12cnsgnd said:
One thing that impressed me is that this show don't use any monologues from the characters. Didn't noticed at first until I read a tweet about that.

That's probably one of the most remarkable things about Sonny Boy. It sends a message through audiovisuals in the most subtle of forms: character dialogues, expressions, background music, art, even nuisances in body language or sound effects. Most anime nowadays rely on inner thought (or sometimes straight up vocal) monologues to give the viewer a better idea of what the story is trying to express. That's perfectly fine and it has its own merit, but this lack of direct expressivity allows the medium through which Sonny Boy is displayed to shine and gives the viewer food for thought to make their own impressions and takeaways of what they see.

Sorry if I'm rambling too much, I just really like Sonny Boy lol, you can probably tell what my AOTY pick is.
Jan 20, 2022 4:06 PM
Sep 2020
danielsalt said:
bryn12cnsgnd said:

That's probably one of the most remarkable things about Sonny Boy. It sends a message through audiovisuals in the most subtle of forms: character dialogues, expressions, background music, art, even nuisances in body language or sound effects. Most anime nowadays rely on inner thought (or sometimes straight up vocal) monologues to give the viewer a better idea of what the story is trying to express. That's perfectly fine and it has its own merit, but this lack of direct expressivity allows the medium through which Sonny Boy is displayed to shine and gives the viewer food for thought to make their own impressions and takeaways of what they see.

Sorry if I'm rambling too much, I just really like Sonny Boy lol, you can probably tell what my AOTY pick is.

Small follow-up to what I said, turns out Funimation recently had an interview with Shingo Natsume about Sonny Boy, where he mentioned why there are no monologues in Sonny Boy. That's probably what inspired the tweet you saw :P

Maybe you'll find this interesting :)
Jan 21, 2022 12:14 AM

Jan 2016
I thought it had no chance, so I was super excited when I saw it actually got nominated. I know it still won't have a chance of actually winning the popularity vote, but I'm glad it was at least recognized by critics. Sonny Boy and Odd Taxi were far and away the two best anime of 2021.

But what was equally surprising to me as the AOTY nomination is that it somehow wasn't nominated for best score??? I thought that that category would be a lock at least. Sonny Boy's ost is actually like objectively the best this year lmao. I don't typically use that word, but in this case it's just like... come on. It's the best in quite a few years imo.
Jan 21, 2022 4:14 AM
Sep 2021
Quality wise it should be aoty
Jan 22, 2022 7:38 PM

Oct 2019
Fkyourmom said:
Quality wise it should be aoty

honestly, true. I think odd taxi had the better writing and characters.

but sonny boy's directing, music, and visuals make it on par if not even better.

I'll vote for odd taxi though, just because I don't think sonny boy has any chance to win. and my second choice is odd taxi.

I really hope it wins the best direction though, specially because 86 wasn't even nominated.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jan 22, 2022 7:41 PM

Oct 2019
TbnBn480 said:
Hope Sonny boy at least wins the best director award. I know AOTY is probably impossible

yeah with 86 and beastars not being even nominated for director, sonny boy should win by a pretty big gap.

even if they were I would still give it to sonny boy, but now that they're not it shouldn't even be close.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jan 24, 2022 1:14 PM
Mar 2018
*is anime of the year
Feb 3, 2022 2:06 PM
Jun 2020
sonny boy, odd taxi will never win these awards due to their lack of popularity. Like these were the best animes out this year however my money is on a generic shonen sadly

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.