Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 31, 2020 9:20 AM
Oct 2019
*Dark clouds appear* and the first thing that comes to blue haired girl’s mind is Kirito’s kokoro, any explanation or some nonsense cause its not explained. The villain dude too was pretty bland. I cannot even recall how he’s sprouting wings or getting to god mode or whatever.. animation and sound the only likable aspects of the show so far for me.
Aug 31, 2020 10:56 AM

Nov 2019
For those who don't understand what's going on there is a thread in the forums explaining it. The anime didn't do very well explaining incarnation. Or maybe if you watched Accel World, that should be enough cuz it uses a similar power system.

Regarding my rating. It's going to be a low 8 compared to the 9s of Alicization part 1 and WoU. I enjoyed almost everything in this season. But it left out a lot of monologues and explanations so there it loses some points.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Aug 31, 2020 10:59 AM

May 2016
It's a piece of shit. That last episode was terrible. Looks like plot armor ass pulls
Aug 31, 2020 12:31 PM
Jun 2015
Same as rest of them. Horrible
Aug 31, 2020 12:40 PM

Jun 2020
alxaxls said:
*Dark clouds appear* and the first thing that comes to blue haired girl’s mind is Kirito’s kokoro, any explanation or some nonsense cause its not explained. The villain dude too was pretty bland. I cannot even recall how he’s sprouting wings or getting to god mode or whatever.. animation and sound the only likable aspects of the show so far for me.

Yes you have summed up the last episode for me perfectly xD especially the kokoro part
Why does miller dude have these stupid ass powers anyway? Can they explain the shit they're pulling out of their ass or are we supposed to accept that shit.

That said I still find myself hyped at some of the cool moments and the animation and sound is peak SAO quality, probably gonna give it a 7
This anime shit is addictive
Aug 31, 2020 6:40 PM
Oct 2019
biswa290701 said:
For those who don't understand what's going on there is a thread in the forums explaining it. The anime didn't do very well explaining incarnation. Or maybe if you watched Accel World, that should be enough cuz it uses a similar power system.

Regarding my rating. It's going to be a low 8 compared to the 9s of Alicization part 1 and WoU. I enjoyed almost everything in this season. But it left out a lot of monologues and explanations so there it loses some points.
well that’s the thing, I haven’t read the novels and I guess its better explained there but if we’re anime-only this simply doesn’t make any sense..
Aug 31, 2020 10:35 PM

Nov 2019
spectrojan said:
alxaxls said:

Yes you have summed up the last episode for me perfectly xD especially the kokoro part
Why does miller dude have these stupid ass powers anyway? Can they explain the shit they're pulling out of their ass or are we supposed to accept that shit.

That said I still find myself hyped at some of the cool moments and the animation and sound is peak SAO quality, probably gonna give it a 7

No the anime won't explain it. It should've already done it if it wanted. They probably used the word "incarnation" maybe 5 times in 44 episodes.

This episode got entirely different receptions on MAL and Reddit. Because someone explained incarnation so well there.
Aug 31, 2020 10:59 PM
Jan 2020
What happed after GGO causes alicization to happened, the enemy from GGO damged kirito in real life to revenge then the government man secretly put him in A FUCKING GAME "to heal" him AND DO A JOB FOR HIM!

=> Even kirito is fucking tired of this shit he could be dead at any second and now he has to spend 200 years in that world after all this bullshit for no reasons the government man
got what he wanted and we don't know has kirito healed or not

kirito doesn't wants to become the best gamer in the world or anything he just wants to have a normal life after SAO and marry his love but the bullshit author and writing dragged him into this fucked up life that is the reason why people are losing interest in this show it's fucking trash
Aug 31, 2020 11:05 PM

Aug 2020
i'm not adding anything new by saying it's terrible, but it's terrible lol. the first SAO was already not good and it was the best of them.
As long as the Sun, Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.
Aug 31, 2020 11:06 PM
Apr 2016
This is actually the worst season, I gave up when they brought up Alfheim tentacle rape guy to be relevant againn
Sep 1, 2020 1:15 AM
Apr 2018
Its the same pleasant FANTASY feeling i got from watching previous SAO seasons.
I might rate it 7 instead of 8 or 9, but it doesn't change that its special to me.

ASUNA & KIRITO won't make me dislike this show.

Although i rate it 8 on MAL, its a show where i get a unique "fantasy" feel. It all started with the first season which has left much impression.
Sep 1, 2020 1:28 AM

Aug 2017
It's really downgrade for me,, idk what to say really but its just they like to froced it without any goals rn... why they didn't even finished it after season 2...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2020 5:24 AM

Oct 2017
Part 1 actually have a decent story when the villains and Kirito are not randomly asspull everything.

The main focus of part 1 is how Underworld people battling themselves, with proper power system, some form of strategies involved (nothing groundbreaking but at least there's one), people actually dying, and some REAL character development regarding to Alice and some side characters.

However in part 2 none of the good things in part 1 are presented.
The incarnation bullshit plot armour on both allies and villains take over the whole power system, and then Kirito bumps into the war and totally ruin the story.
All the casts that have their development in part 1 are sidelined and become none-existent.
(except episode 2, the only good episode for part 2)
Not to mention the final boss has no stake and Kirito never met Gabriel before, nor did he know anything about him, or what he did. Kirito also never met a single soul in Dark Territory so why should he care? Why should Dark Territory folks care about Kirito in ep8 even though they never met?
Sep 1, 2020 6:35 AM

Sep 2017
It's a huge mess, really disappointing after a promising first part of Underworld

Asspulls everywhere, stupid power of friendship coming out of nowhere like we're in Fairy Tail, cringy quotes and dialogues, cringy villains with a freaking tentacle rape scene and other sexual innuendos, the Knights of Integrity's potential was completely wasted with the arrival of Kirito's harem, Kirito's harem which has been utterly useless despite being depicted as overpowered (Kirito's harem that also brought back the painful silliness from SAO)
All of this and Kirito's comeback as an op god that solved everything in one episode, that's just too much for me

This is by far the worst SAO season for me, that's why I gave it a 4 (and I'm being generous because of the animation and the soundtrack), I might even give it a 3 if it goes even further downhill in the last 3 episodes
Sep 1, 2020 6:45 AM

Nov 2019
Ventus_S said:
Part 1 actually have a decent story when the villains and Kirito are not randomly asspull everything.

The main focus of part 1 is how Underworld people battling themselves, with proper power system, some form of strategies involved (nothing groundbreaking but at least there's one), people actually dying, and some REAL character development regarding to Alice and some side characters.

However in part 2 none of the good things in part 1 are presented.
The incarnation bullshit plot armour on both allies and villains take over the whole power system, and then Kirito bumps into the war and totally ruin the story.
All the casts that have their development in part 1 are sidelined and become none-existent.
(except episode 2, the only good episode for part 2)
Not to mention the final boss has no stake and Kirito never met Gabriel before, nor did he know anything about him, or what he did. Kirito also never met a single soul in Dark Territory so why should he care? Why should Dark Territory folks care about Kirito in ep8 even though they never met?

Uhh looks like you misunderstood. The people praying weren't necessarily praying for Kirito. They were just praying because they could sense a source of power in the suddenly dark sky. And they thought that source of power could end all tragedy.

I think all the people who are thinking it's power of friendship and asspulls not really understood what the underworld is. It's a lucid dream world where all the fluctlight souls are connected so these "asspulls" and "power of friendship" should work and it's completely logical unlike comparing it to something like Fairy Tail where they don't make sense. Now if you wanna decide it's not a good power system then that's upto you. But everything makes sense.
Sep 1, 2020 12:17 PM
Jun 2020
1 and believe me when I say it's already too much.
Sep 1, 2020 1:38 PM

Jan 2018
5/10
Was okay

Author kun is obviously trying to improve his writing in some areas but also fucks up stuff in others
Sep 2, 2020 7:55 AM

Apr 2016
9.5/10. It would have been a perfect 10 if they didn't cut so many important scenes. Gabriel vs Kirito fight was a little too censored for me, the most brutal things were left out

Sep 2, 2020 8:49 AM

Jul 2015
Three.

To understand how big of a fuck-up this was in my eyes, you need to know that I gave Alicization an eight, and the first part of Underworld a seven.

I faintly remember the imagination thing being mentioned at some point, but even if an entire episode was dedicated to explaining that, I'd probably pump the score up only to a four. It'd still seem like an excuse to pull out a deus ex machina every two minutes. The power levels have been blown way out of proportion.

Saying that it's a virtual world is not a good excuse. It's still a story and the narrative needs to be the main priority.
Sep 2, 2020 10:20 AM

Feb 2017
TWO

It's just like rewatching fairy tails ending again. Stupidly godly OP MC, stupidly useless side characters except few of them that still has only little screen time, stupidly cringy ass pull, stupidly cringy plot that ruin everything alicization and WoU1 have buildup for, even stupidlier and cringier villian. Surly, many of it's diehard fans will love it and gave it 10/10 just like what Fairy tails's diehard fans does but not me who are so-so with SAO from the start. This season is terrible and I that's all of it.
Sep 7, 2020 11:06 PM

Aug 2017
8-9-10, I stopped after Kirito return so I could binge watch it later.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 7, 2020 11:39 PM
May 2016
where the lore behind that ?
no lore just fight scenes
no effort in the scenario
man they could have stopped after Ordinal Scale
best film btw
Sep 8, 2020 6:38 AM
Jul 2019
biswa290701 said:

The fact that I have to read something to understand it means that it failed as an adaptation. As for the ratings, it's the worst season yet so this will go lower than the first season, which I gave a 6. So 5 or below.
Sep 8, 2020 7:00 AM

Nov 2019
SomeGuyWithHair said:
biswa290701 said:

The fact that I have to read something to understand it means that it failed as an adaptation. As for the ratings, it's the worst season yet so this will go lower than the first season, which I gave a 6. So 5 or below.

Yeah it's probably the worst adaptation yet. No the 2nd cour of Alicization was worse but it kinda worked without details but this doesn't.

But I have read the LNs and I understand everything. So I myself didn't have much problems with it. Since the animation and sound direction is good, I'll probably rate it an 8.
Sep 8, 2020 7:26 AM

Jun 2020
I thought it was nice, but could've been better. I'll give it a 8/10, since it's still much better than what SAO used to be (In the first series Aincrad was okay, Alfheim sucked. In SAO II Death Gun was nice, Excalibur was a waste of time and Mother's Rosario was just kinda okay)
Personally i enjoyed the other seasons of Alicization way more. They had flaws too, but they were easy to overlook if you only paid attention to the many good things.

Sep 8, 2020 11:12 PM

Oct 2019
Would rate it an 8.5/10 however Mal doesn't have that so I'll give it a 9. Honesty the hate for this show is ridiculous, if you just accept that the shows pulls a lot of bs and just learn to live with it, its actually quite enjoyable to watch. Good moments overwrite bad cringe moments, Id say recent episodes did quite well and got me hyped up.
Sep 9, 2020 12:32 AM

Feb 2017
Aoi_Yozora said:
Would rate it an 8.5/10 however Mal doesn't have that so I'll give it a 9. Honesty the hate for this show is ridiculous, if you just accept that the shows pulls a lot of bs and just learn to live with it, its actually quite enjoyable to watch. Good moments overwrite bad cringe moments, Id say recent episodes did quite well and got me hyped up.

I sometimes try to force myself to love this anime to enjoying it, but it didn't work for me :( The bad part just overwrite the good one. Maybe it's completely not my taste to enjoying anime like this after all.

I always watching anime to find the inner meaning of it like Key's anime, Violet Evergarden, Gintama, Evanglion ect. but for SAO I see nothing more than a power fantasy self-insert wish fulfillment that has slightly better in term of story or it's setting and considerably better in animation and sound tracks than other anime from the same genres.
kanthornSep 9, 2020 12:35 AM
Sep 9, 2020 12:53 AM

Jun 2020
SAO's animation, OSTs and sound effects are fricking good but this season seems like a bunch of poorly explained asspulls in the recent few episodes
This anime shit is addictive
Sep 9, 2020 3:26 AM

Apr 2020
I probably gonna rate it 7/10 so far. The story was became lame after episode 8 where Kirito became too overpowered without any explanation or narration. The animation ultimately carries the show, but the story and the characters are having more unconvincing development for the viewers. The prequel was great though, so I still expect the remaining episode to become much better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2020 3:28 AM

Sep 2017
What it really deserves.1/10
I would've gave it 0/10 if it existed
خ
Sep 9, 2020 3:39 AM

Apr 2020
Fatephile said:

Then why you're still watching it? If you gave the anime a 1 then you should had stopped watching right?
Sep 9, 2020 3:42 AM

Sep 2017
Eren_Midoriya said:
Fatephile said:

Then why you're still watching it? If you gave the anime a 1 then you should had stopped watching right?

I want to know the ending
Edit: And I can't roast it if I didn't fully watched it
خ
Sep 12, 2020 6:21 PM
Feb 2018
Weirdly it's my favorite season of Sword art online, also i'm loving this much more than rezero season 2.
It's a lot of fun and i loved that last episode (alice). One more to go and then one last arc for sword art online
Sep 12, 2020 6:56 PM

Jan 2016
Lower than average? Probably like a 4/10, though the plot sucks as per the usual.
Sep 12, 2020 8:12 PM

Jul 2017
1. Just for the visuals and music I won't give it a 0. Otherwise this season has been an absolute travesty full of pure bullshit without the unironic fun too.
Sep 12, 2020 9:07 PM

May 2019
The animation was great in my opinion. The story in the source is average, but the adaptation was pure garbage.

I love KiriSuna couple and by far it is the main reason i'm still following up SAO (without them, it become "Alternative Gun Gale" which i rated 6 being very respectful).

But the reencounter was a bit disappointing. Asuna had some importance in the 1st part of WiU and until Kirito come back, but once he did, Asuna become complete unidimensional at his side. And the 10th episode was the top in neglecting her. At this point the author is cleary tired of this couple (and by the review of Moon Cradle, it is confirmed).

If the author of SAO is tired of KiriSuna, so i am becoming tired of this show.

What's left in the anime, so?

- Bad adaptation from LN creating huge plot holes.
- Asspulled situations from the Realm of Convinience.
- Excessive annoying appeal to emotion using the spirit of Eugeo or whatever it is.
- Ok, animation above than average, nice soundtrack.

For my standards* it is 7/10, what means 5/10 for average MAL users.

*My list is overrated because i DONT watch anime i don't like. I just drop it. If i've completed it, so i liked enough to endure it. So it is rare for me to complete an anime and give a low score.

Sep 12, 2020 11:20 PM

Mar 2016
I’ve personally never found anything particularly bad from this season at all.

The only justifications from the ungrateful bitching here is due to how LN adapting usually go, and that’s unfortunate.

At very least it gave me what I needed from this series the most, considering we may never see another SAO adaptation again for a while.
Sep 13, 2020 5:30 AM

Aug 2013
SAO was a mistake, that is all
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 13, 2020 5:42 AM
Jul 2020
easily a 8.3/10. It was absolutely amazing.
Sep 13, 2020 5:44 AM
Jul 2020
Rob7 said:
The animation was great in my opinion. The story in the source is average, but the adaptation was pure garbage.

I love KiriSuna couple and by far it is the main reason i'm still following up SAO (without them, it become "Alternative Gun Gale" which i rated 6 being very respectful).

But the reencounter was a bit disappointing. Asuna had some importance in the 1st part of WiU and until Kirito come back, but once he did, Asuna become complete unidimensional at his side. And the 10th episode was the top in neglecting her. At this point the author is cleary tired of this couple (and by the review of Moon Cradle, it is confirmed).

If the author of SAO is tired of KiriSuna, so i am becoming tired of this show.

What's left in the anime, so?

- Bad adaptation from LN creating huge plot holes.
- Asspulled situations from the Realm of Convinience.
- Excessive annoying appeal to emotion using the spirit of Eugeo or whatever it is.
- Ok, animation above than average, nice soundtrack.

For my standards* it is 7/10, what means 5/10 for average MAL users.

*My list is overrated because i DONT watch anime i don't like. I just drop it. If i've completed it, so i liked enough to endure it. So it is rare for me to complete an anime and give a low score.

I completely agree, especially with the last bit you said :)
Sep 15, 2020 10:51 AM
May 2020
Animation: 9
Sound: 9
Story: 1
Character: 1
Overall: 4/10
Oct 24, 2020 4:54 AM
May 2020
I think the first 2-3 episodes were solid. Then I started having mixed feelings about it, with bringing in so many characters that is not integral to the plot, like Eiji, Yuuna, and Yuuki. Episode 6 had so much potential with Kirito’s character moment, butI felt like it was kinda rushed. And after Kirito became overpowered again, and I started to get a little bored
Bad points aside, I still think the music, the OP and the ED are solid. The animation is good and a pleasure to the eyes every times it needed to be. My favorite scene is the Bercouli fight.

Overall, 6/10
Had so much potential, but still couldn’t reached it.
Oct 24, 2020 11:41 AM

Oct 2020
This could've ended decently but it shoots itself on the foot by the sheer amount of deus ex machina. The writing is just all over the place. 4/10
Nov 5, 2020 5:27 PM
Sep 2020
It's pretty decent I'd say, But I'm more in love with the previous season of war of underworld.
Nov 7, 2020 7:16 AM
Nov 2016
8.4 from me , if they added monologues & shows us the scene of Kirito's heart is getting ripped off by Gabriel , they should have show it properly otherwise as a light novel reader , it is awsm
Nov 7, 2020 7:27 AM
Sep 2020
It was decent, ending was terrible and I didn't like it.
Nov 9, 2020 1:40 AM

Jan 2020
4/10

1/10 the actual show but +3 because of Alice best waifu....ok no, but tbh the script writing this season was awful at the level of Aincrad's 2nd half or Fairy Dance and it's a shame because I was enjoying Alicization before WoU 2. The only reason I didn't rate it lower is because of the character development given to Alice. Also Asuna recovered some personality near the end, thought she became a robot programed with only 1 word (Kirito-kun) after Aincrad.
Dec 14, 2020 3:50 AM

Jul 2019
5/10 for me which is the lowest I've rated any anime.

SAO I - 5/10
SAO II - 6/10
SAO III - 7/10
SAO IV - 5/10

For what is worth the first half of this season is also a 7/10 but damn, this second half reverted back to everything I originally disliked about SAO and ruined the previous 36 episodes

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Aug 15, 2020

303 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kaiseki - Aug 8, 2020

210 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2020

222 by Remiadha »»
Jun 1, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Best SAO girl?

Kazu-chan-san - Mar 20, 2023

15 by ItsAziz »»
Apr 7, 4:06 AM

» Question about Alice

quietkun27 - Mar 24

15 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 25, 1:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.