Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 23, 2019 10:30 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
That was a good ending to a great show. I was worried about how bad it might turn out to be, but I'm glad it went just fine. But even so, it still left a bittersweet taste in my mouth, I wish we could have gotten more content from this.
Fabulous Keppi and his princess are going to give me some nightmares for the upcoming weeks though.
Jun 23, 2019 2:36 PM

Aug 2015
Great anime, good ending. 8/10. But Keppi and the princess are nightmare material.
Jun 23, 2019 10:07 PM

Feb 2019
Well that was a beautiful and emotional final episode

So looks like in the future the trio manage to reach their dream to become a soccer player. Good for them.

Toi in the jail was pretty heartbreaking for me to watch. Im happy they're still together into the end.

Also Reo and Mabu is back alive? thank you sm
Jun 24, 2019 1:05 PM

Jun 2013
Original, unpredictable, powerful, far from clichés, strong and captivating story. It will really make me miss your wonderful way of telling a story. Best anime of the season for me.

SARAAAAAAAAAAA
Gimme more character development and/or romance. Probally a shotacon.

Jun 24, 2019 8:02 PM

Mar 2013
I really loved the ending but for me there's still some things in the open that if you take a really close look at you can kinda assume that

But I'm happy with the disclosure either way. Just wished they didnt brought the cops back, I loved the characters but I thought the ending they got before was perfect for them, true love, bittersweet as it is.
Jun 24, 2019 9:18 PM

Apr 2019
Thay said:
I really loved the ending but for me there's still some things in the open that if you take a really close look at you can kinda assume that

But I'm happy with the disclosure either way. Just wished they didnt brought the cops back, I loved the characters but I thought the ending they got before was perfect for them, true love, bittersweet as it is.

The multiple "bad" futures happen as possibilities or they may happen if the trio didn't connect with each other, meant to tell us the future may not neccessarily be bright all the time anyways and you can only believe in what you choose.

Toi and the other two jumping in the water reminds me of the scene the kappa trio swam towards the light after the bad future leaks. Or as water is usually meant rebirth, it could be interpreted that Toi discarding his old self to start over a new leaf from now on, or he "picked up" the soccer that he threw away on the same bridge in the past so he could move on. I don't really think Toi wanted to suicide like that.
Jun 25, 2019 7:30 PM

Jun 2015
super original and creative, i could interpret all of this in so many ways and i feel like there wouldn't be a "true" way. i'm not too familiar with ikuhara's work, but i feel like i should go check some of it out after this.
Jun 27, 2019 12:13 AM

Jul 2016
Honestly, I would be lying if I say I wasn't confused at some point during this episode... maybe it was the fact that I watched it at 03:30 AM but well.

Personally, I didn't quite understand why Reo and Mabu were able to return I mean, it was supposed that their existence was already erased from the world but well. I did loved the moment they reappeared tho.

Anyways, that aside, this was a pretty decent way to conclude this series and although some things felt a bit rushed and others were left unresolved like Enta's "relationship" with Kazuki, I really enjoyed this last episode.

Overall, it was a nice show. A weird yet entertaining show. 7/10
Jun 27, 2019 7:44 PM

Oct 2008
Superb show!
Kunihiko Ikuhara is a mad genius!
Please continue to keep creating unique type of shows like this!
5/5.
8/10.

Jun 28, 2019 5:21 PM

Dec 2011
It's not that I'm confused, I understand and enjoy the themes presented and I like how we went for a happy end instead of a tragic one. However, at some point towards the end, I feel like the messages became so big that they overshadowed their characters, and the only one I cared for by the end was Toi. We were so focused on understanding the concepts that I didn't know where anyone was anymore? Like in the world around them, which made it hard to focus. The cops coming back and taking shape after getting their emotional revelations across was a bit of a buzzkill for me. Seemed like they did that just for the sake of it.

Mixed feelings are sitting with me but enjoyable ride nonetheless. I don't see myself coming back to this work so it sits comfortably between a 6 or a 7 for me.
Jun 30, 2019 3:19 AM

Apr 2015
So much thought, care and work put into the story and the animation, as was expected...the elaborate use of puns, references and symbols show how much control and effort went into the production.

In many ways I appreciate the methodology and style of the production too, the manic style I always like, urban, slick and stylish.

However the conceptual/aesthetic sides of the show never grew on me. The whole idea and design is mostly lame and/or unappealing; it's what drove off so much viewers in the first episodes too. Great show worth watching, but hope the next project the producers lay their hands on handles more interesting and appealing material. Comparable to Punch Line. 6-7/10

BTW the ED is a great song.
Jun 30, 2019 9:29 AM

Jan 2018
SARAAAAAAAAAAAAAZANMAI!
Jul 1, 2019 2:19 PM

Dec 2016
A very weird, but great show that far exceeded any expectations I had coming into it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jul 3, 2019 8:19 PM
Apr 2019
Well.. i think at least the ending kinda better than mawaru.. so i give it

2/10...

Jul 5, 2019 12:23 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Quite the unique, over-the-top and, thus, fitting finale to this piece of interesting show! With that said though, I’ve mixed feelings regarding this finale episode nevertheless.

I’ve got qualms over some of the subplots, such as Enta’s blatant love and the lack of Kazuki’s response to all that, not getting the full treatment due to the short time screen but the other bits sure delivered so I’ll put that aside for now.

Now then, back to this episode. I certainly didn’t expect Sara to be the Kappa Queen but there was enough hints for that in the previous episodes so a good turnout. Lol @ that true form of Keppi though, good thing his two sides have merged in the background amidst the main battle featuring the trio. Speaking of the trio, it was great to see more on them this episode too! Inventive way of representing those possibilities there with the football match in the background, really liked that! It’s amazing how the three have issues but with each other, they compliment and fill in the gaps to some extent with each other. What happened to the Otter though and how exactly did Mabu and Reo come back?

Moving on, seeing Kuji spend three years in a detention centre to come to terms with his ‘crime’ was really nice to see! Having the ED play alongside was a really nice treat too! He still hasn’t mustered up the courage to face his guardians but good thing his friends are still around! By the way, Asakusa Quecrotte now lol the times sure have changed.

I’ll award this show a solid 7.50/10, as such.
Some powerful messages and the evolution from a ‘Kappa-Butts-Dances’ to a ‘Meaning of Existence’ kind of show was really great to have! Had some of the subplots, such as Enta’s love for Kazuki and ffs Kazuki’s response to that for instance, been given more screen-time, I’d have no qualms giving this a solid 8.00/10 then. I’m definitely curious to check out more stuff from this well-known Director now!
_MushiRock11_Dec 7, 2019 10:10 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 6, 2019 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
BackstageMage said:
This anime killed me, spit on my grave, through my corpse into a cave full of spiders, and then brought me back and gave me flowers.

10/10

Mood. I ended up enjoying this way more than I expected. 9/10 if I bothered with ratings.
Jul 18, 2019 2:49 PM
May 2017
That was a lot. Some general things:

How/why did the cops come back?

Toi jumped and Katsuki and Enta were conveniently there for him so I'm guessing that's symbolic/imagined by Toi instead of something that actually happened? And because they might not have actually been there, is that why Katsuki and Enta looked the same even though 3 years passed? Toi looked the same too though so idk

Enta's love for Katsuki wasn't really acknowledged after that one episode. It's just a friendship by the end, like it never happened.

The leaks confused me. Did all 3 of them see each one or was it one per person?

Anyway, interesting show. Found myself curious about what was going to happen next each week, especially after the first few episodes when the plot started to kick in.
Jul 18, 2019 9:53 PM

Apr 2019
JoshsoJB said:

Toi jumped and Katsuki and Enta were conveniently there for him so I'm guessing that's symbolic/imagined by Toi instead of something that actually happened? And because they might not have actually been there, is that why Katsuki and Enta looked the same even though 3 years passed? Toi looked the same too though so idk

Enta's love for Katsuki wasn't really acknowledged after that one episode. It's just a friendship by the end, like it never happened.

Anyway, interesting show. Found myself curious about what was going to happen next each week, especially after the first few episodes when the plot started to kick in.

Mabu never fell out of the circle of connection as he still held strong connection with Reo, even in death, their circles were still connected with each other. Ikuhara is known to give ambiguous ending anyways, and supposedly, the second novel volume will come soon which is supposed to give more spotlight to ReoMabu.

Water usually means rebirth so it could be that Toi saying "What's wrong with that" and jumping is just him preparing to turn over a new leaf. The pre-broadcast PV has a line "Cross that river. Cause there’s no turning back anymore.", and the last scene with the kappa trio crossing the river and the line "into the future". It's impossible to redo the past but you can always move on to the future. It's one of the major themes.

Kazuki was too caught up with satisfying Haruka's wishes to care about other people's connections to him. And he is also the type who makes light of connections until he is forced to part ways with them => Not registering Toi's phone number even though Enta who is supposed to dislike Toi at that time has it, and being pretty oblivious and insecure about the connections between him and other people. For Enta, for all the facade talk of always supporting Kazuki, he did get his jealousy get over his head and almost severed the connections between the trio (even admitted with Chikai that he didn't want self-sacrifice without return), so probably he decided to nurture this feeling until they become more mature.

The leaks "were" possible outcomes if they hadn't maintained their connections with each other, and precisely collided with their problems throughout the anime (Kazuki having an injured leg like Haruka and lying about his emotions, Enta having a break-up with Kazuki, and Toi being swept up in guilt and doubt). And ultimately, the future ahead of them might not necessarily be bright (as in hope and despair are always two sides of the same coin) but they still have to move forward.

Jul 19, 2019 8:47 AM
May 2017
ShadowMega said:
JoshsoJB said:

Mabu never fell out of the circle of connection as he still held strong connection with Reo, even in death, their circles were still connected with each other. Ikuhara is known to give ambiguous ending anyways, and supposedly, the second novel volume will come soon which is supposed to give more spotlight to ReoMabu.

Water usually means rebirth so it could be that Toi saying "What's wrong with that" and jumping is just him preparing to turn over a new leaf. The pre-broadcast PV has a line "Cross that river. Cause there’s no turning back anymore.", and the last scene with the kappa trio crossing the river and the line "into the future". It's impossible to redo the past but you can always move on to the future. It's one of the major themes.

Kazuki was too caught up with satisfying Haruka's wishes to care about other people's connections to him. And he is also the type who makes light of connections until he is forced to part ways with them => Not registering Toi's phone number even though Enta who is supposed to dislike Toi at that time has it, and being pretty oblivious and insecure about the connections between him and other people. For Enta, for all the facade talk of always supporting Kazuki, he did get his jealousy get over his head and almost severed the connections between the trio (even admitted with Chikai that he didn't want self-sacrifice without return), so probably he decided to nurture this feeling until they become more mature.

The leaks "were" possible outcomes if they hadn't maintained their connections with each other, and precisely collided with their problems throughout the anime (Kazuki having an injured leg like Haruka and lying about his emotions, Enta having a break-up with Kazuki, and Toi being swept up in guilt and doubt). And ultimately, the future ahead of them might not necessarily be bright (as in hope and despair are always two sides of the same coin) but they still have to move forward.

Ah thanks. I'm not very smart nor have a very good memory so I would have never gotten all of that on my own. I'll just blame it on watching it only once once a week to make myself feel better :)

Also Kazuki not Katsuki whoops
Jul 20, 2019 4:52 AM

Jul 2015
Nice story of people connecting
They can't replace the town mascot with a frog, what are they crazy? Nobody can replace Keppi-sama and his kappa's
Will miss Keppi's booty 😢

Jul 22, 2019 8:13 AM
Mar 2017
What in the world did i just watched. This anime is wierd af but damn the story was great. Mappa providing us wierd fetishes.

8/10
Jul 26, 2019 8:05 AM

Jul 2012
god, these types of anime are just not for me lmao.

it's so repetitive.

i love the visuals overall, the voice acting ofc (duh they had top tier people on the team), and the story is enticing but god, it felt so overly abstract and that isnt my type. it's a meme show with a deeper meaning but that aint my cup of tea.

7/10
Jul 28, 2019 10:11 AM

Mar 2016
Ended up as a heavily discounted version of Utena with boys getting buttpucked every episode and yaoi undertones with the two policemen.

All show but not enough clear context. At least it was a little better than the Yuri Kuma show.
Jul 31, 2019 4:59 AM

Jun 2009
Meh... 6/10

I should probably stop watching Ikuhara shows.
Aug 4, 2019 5:59 PM

May 2010
Yeah... not for me I guess, and I used to consider myself an Ikuhara fan. Didn't like this one, didn't like Yuri Kuma, I imagine I won't like his next show either but I'll still watch it on the off chance that he channels whatever inspiration brought us Utena or even Penguindrum.

That said, I'm glad this exists. Anime that push the boundaries are needed. I just wish he'd pick more interesting topics and stop using symbolism to abstract away from real emotion. Yeah, he was guilty of that even back when I liked him the most, but he's just taken it so far that it's insufferable to me.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 11, 2019 7:52 PM

Oct 2008
MAL really needs to get their crap together with the tags. This was definitely not my cup of tea, would have avoided it if it had a BL or shounen ai tag on it. Apart from the great animation and the short Kuji brothers segment at the end, I hated everything about it.
Sep 7, 2019 12:49 PM

Jun 2014
The overall art and animation was really nice in this but it was all ruined by the obnoxious insufferable characters, the story was mostly stupid annoying shit. Awful.

Oh yeah and all the recycled animation got annoying after a while, very lazy.

2/10 garbage
alpha_shadowSep 7, 2019 8:03 PM
:3
Sep 18, 2019 8:38 AM

Aug 2015
I feel like this show was executed pretty good. It's been quite entertaining the whole way through. Art, style, symbolism, small details, everything was great on that part.
But my problem is - I didn't really feel anything in the end.. Mostly because of the characters, they were pretty weak. Didn't care about any of them, their stories were quite specific and not relatable. And theme and message are very blatant and straightforward, I feel. Everything becomes pretty obvious after first couple of episodes.
Maybe I'm just not buying that shit anymore. It really feels like a show for children for the most part.

P.S. "SARAA! SARAAA! SARAAAAA!" came close, but "IMAAAGIINE!" is still the best.
Oct 14, 2019 11:28 PM

Oct 2017
This was a really unique anime but the repetitive scenes were annoying af. The visuals,op,ed,osts were great thou. The characters were pretty funny and the story was pretty silly but deep at the same time. But overall it was pretty meh and they should really add shounen ai tag in this.
MegamiRemOct 14, 2019 11:35 PM
Apr 12, 2020 9:56 PM

Jul 2017
I was not sure how they would handle the ending, but episode 11 wrapped up the main plot which was good. The end gave me a bittersweet feeling as there was still much to continue on and fully explain. I'm glad the boys were together in the end!!

7.5/10 :)
Apr 28, 2020 7:55 AM

Aug 2017
Wow, this has to be the first actually happy ending to an Ikuhara show, what a milestone, I cried my tears of joy. Just as expected, Ikuni created another unique and great work which I'm completely satisfied with, he never fails to deliver.

Also I want to share this absolute treasury of information about the show:
https://kappazon.info/
St0rmbladeApr 28, 2020 9:41 AM
Sep 11, 2020 4:55 AM

Feb 2017
I feel like things didn’t really come together as well as I’d hoped for in the last arc; it feels like both Toi and Enta’s desires/subplots just abruptly stopped instead of reaching a resolution, and that Reo and Mabu’s suffering magically was undone. None of those endings really hit for me and Kazuki was already resolved halfway through the show, so as nice as some of the symbolism and messaging at the end here was... idk it came too soon and didn’t really click with me. Another couple episodes would’ve been nice.

I really wish this show had connected (heh) a little deeper with me because I liked a lot of what it was putting down (and the songs kinda slap ngl). That being said, I still like this show a lot better than Yurikuma, which had a better ending but was a lot less grounded and a pretty weak cast (aside from Lulu). That being said, it’s not quite an Utena either (it’s gonna be hard to top the depth of themes and philosophy of that one). Somewhere around a low 9/high 8 from me; I swear every Ikuhara show feels like it could’ve been a 10/10 masterpiece and just doesn’t quite work for me somewhere along the way. (Okay, maybe Utena deserves it; I’m gonna be tempted on rewatch someday but Nanami episodes and Black Rose arc dragged it down for me)

I’ve still gotta watch Penguindrum one of these days, but I’m saving it for when I really need it.
Oct 16, 2020 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
SARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oct 16, 2020 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
funny how a fantasy, absurd, comic plot can be so realistic, deep and delicate at the same time
removed-userOct 18, 2020 3:36 PM
Feb 10, 2021 1:16 AM
Feb 2016
Aside from the incredibely rushed ending, it was also very unsatisfying. Tooi was the only one who didn't have a cop out ending and actually went to jail for killing that dude,but the other two are just happy enjoying life while the one is responsible for his brother becoming a cripple and the other is a rapist jealous dickhead who almost got them all killed ? Not a fan.

This show would have funnily enough been better if they didn't drag out those transform scenes and instead focused on the actual story. It was a much more enjoyable show than shitty penguindrum for sure,but it also has it's flaw.
Jun 30, 2021 12:11 PM
Apr 2020
Wow. I was not expecting that ending. I really didn't expect Tooi to go to juvenile detention. But it makes sense.
Jan 2, 2022 6:59 AM
May 2020
What a weird anime with complex story
Feb 22, 2022 8:29 PM
Aug 2010
Quite interesting and amusing at times, sometimes it was a bit too repetitive for me, thats why I give it a solid 7,2/10 instead of an 8. I like unique animes like that, even though it felt like a fever dream at first. The ending was quite symbolic and a lot to take in, but I assume I got the gist of it.
Feb 11, 2023 8:32 AM
Sep 2015
The story is not CoMpLeX, it's badly written.

So the two cops are alive again for no reason. Haruka never confronted Kazuki on why he lied. Enta never confessed his love to Kazuki. This show was a mess.

6/10 I'm sorry Ikuhara but Utena is the only show I truly enjoyed from you.
Apr 17, 2023 6:19 AM

Feb 2016
didn't expect much from this since Ikuhara has been on a downwards spiral ever since Revolutionary Girl Utena. Saranzanmai's style is more in line with Penguindrum than RGU, as to be expected. now, I don't remember much from YuriKuma to say which takes the cake for his worst production, but it's certainly one of the two. I have no idea if it's because he's just better with longer stories or if he's simply losing his touch, but his later work is just not it.

for this series specificallly, I feel there's not much of a backbone to sustain the sparkly spectacle we're seeing. ikuhara's as busy as ever engaging on his much beloved symbolic abstractions (which, this time around, I wasn't interested in cracking up it's meaning in the slightest), but it seems he's not worried about the show's own coherence. he's just throwing things at us at this point is what I mean, and a lot of it's random developments feels undeserved; the scene of the three kinds running together by the end is just completely tone deaf. still credit where it's due: the guy is still knows very well how to utilize repetiton to create a sense of familiarity and then surprise us by recontextualizing it later on (with both Reo and Mabu and the kids vs. KuroKeppi), and his finales are as grand as ever, even in a tiny little show like this one.

i wouldn't call Sarazanmai bad per se, it's really not, but he can do more.

llorandoApr 17, 2023 6:28 AM
Apr 29, 2023 10:06 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
The reference to the crowning of the Blessed Virgin Mary was neat

3miLApr 29, 2023 10:13 PM
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2019

316 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
Jun 3, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2019

186 by thegoishady »»
Aug 7, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2019

70 by nifetiseBOY »»
Feb 11, 2023 5:02 AM

» Is this tagged as yaoi?

FragileGlass - May 6, 2019

12 by Teirayo »»
Feb 25, 2022 3:11 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 16, 2019

67 by smX89 »»
Feb 22, 2022 12:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.