Forum Settings
Forums

Do you watch any animation other than anime, hentai, donghua and the like?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 16, 2023 12:56 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah. I really like animation as a medium overall. I went to the theaters a few months back to see Across the Spider-verse when it came out and it was a great follow up to Into the Spider-Verse. With animated films I love Pixar movies, and some Dreamworks stuff like Shrek. With TV/streaming animation I tend to like a lot of action cartoons like Teen Titans, all the Batman and Spider-Man shows, the Ben 10 franchise, Danny Phantom, Steven Universe, Ninja Turtles, Castlevania, and Avatar/Korra. I do like some more comedic cartoons too like Ed Edd an Eddy, Spongebob, Dexter's Lab, Foster's Home, classic Fairly Odd Parents, and stuff like that. I love the art of animation in and of itself, so the country of origin doesn't matter too much to me when I pick something to watch.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Oct 17, 2023 2:59 AM

Feb 2018
Big fan of Disney animation, especially a lot of the older movies. I still like Disney animation, but its definitely more hit or miss nowadays. Big fan of Bruce Timm animation (Batman the Animated Series, Justice League, JL Unlimited) and just DC animation in general. Surprised I ended up liking the Harley Quinn show. Idk, I like all sorts of animation. Old school Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera, that classic animation is great to me.
Oct 17, 2023 3:36 AM

Jun 2015
sure, not k trash though mostly us. old marvel and even new dc.
Oct 17, 2023 5:59 AM

Aug 2021
i watch stuff that is good, if a good movie or smthn is made by any companies you have mentioned id watch them. also netflix which had some amazing series like arcane
Oct 17, 2023 6:31 AM
Oct 2023
Of course, Legend of Korra is one of my favorite anime (yes I call it anime) amongst others. American shows many not be as many (for non-toddlers) however often the plot and characters are superior.
Oct 17, 2023 6:34 AM

Feb 2021
Yes, of course, our Russian and soviet cartoons, western series, many of them. I like to watch them too.
Oct 17, 2023 7:37 AM
Sep 2021
I still watch some of Disney Pixar movies such as Toy Story, Inside Out, Monster Inc. etc.

DreamWorks is my favorite animation studio ever. Shrek, Megamind, Kung Fu Panda are some of my favorite animated movies

Also i still go back and watch some of Cartoon Network shows like Adventure Time, Gumball, Regular Show, Grim & Mendy, PPG, & Chowder

And also DCAU shows are Goated
Oct 17, 2023 8:24 AM

Aug 2017
No, I devoted myself to watch only anime, and not bothering myself to watch any oder type of animation
I dont hate it tho, I just prefer anime over western cartoons in general
I even have some affection with some of them from my childhood, like the fairly oddparents, teen titans, ben 10, knd, powerpuff girls, and the list goes on
Oct 17, 2023 8:45 AM

Oct 2016
I watch some cartoons from time to time. Helluva Boss, Metal Family, Cartoon Saloon movies, any new Castlevania season they release, or just anything that seems interesting. I've been watching Exo Squad for months now.
Oct 17, 2023 9:03 AM

Aug 2016
Yes. Once I get through the end of the year with some of the shows in this database, I'll go back to continuing the stuff I have on hold (shit load of seasons)/haven't started for other animations which is essentially Western animation that's comedy or action focused
Oct 17, 2023 9:10 AM

Aug 2016
Reply to Hunkitunki
@velveteenvamp American Dad, Family Guy, The Simpsons Family, South Park These scare me with their number of episodes.
@Hunkitunki

If you don't care about "completing" everything that's available, then Family Guy of the first six seasons + Multiverse and South Park starting from S3 Chinpokomon to Season 14 before the quality goes down enough noticeably at a consistent basis rather than just a few off moment episodes
They're mostly episodic in nature with a few episodes that have multiepisode arcs. But if you have that many episodes, it makes sense and there's bound to be something that doesn't match its peak/prime because at that point you're comparing the moments/seasons of what you experienced specifically from that franchise.

Simpsons is probably 2-8 but I haven't gotten to a round of rewatching through binging. I've definitely rewatch episodes here and there.
American Dad, I haven't rewatched at all but that's something I will so can't answer that one.

MechKingKillbotOct 17, 2023 9:16 AM
Oct 17, 2023 9:50 AM

Jan 2010
For me, yep!!! I'm still watching my adult animation on Netflix, Prime Video, and one on HBO Max. I liked Netflix's Castlevania, Legend of Vox Machina, and Harley Quinn.

Hell, I even watched DC Animated Original Movies like for example:

And can't forget this interesting gem:

Why is this not on MAL database? It's animated by OLM, and the animation shows anime characteristic if you watch it. I mean Batman: Ninja, Suicide Squad: Isekai, and Batman: Gotham Knight. Hell this is a DC Comic anime (that hasn't seen a US release, video below) and yet it still classified as anime, but not Catwoman: Hunted.

So yep, my taste in animation is not just limited to anime and Disney's animation.
Oct 17, 2023 10:21 AM

Apr 2020
white people are getting better with animation like arcane and into the spider-verse

ㅤ ᅠㅤ join the
ᅠHayasaka club =>

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Oct 17, 2023 12:02 PM

Nov 2017
Disney is a hole where rats go. Pixar is Disney's hole.

American animation can be the best but Disney is owned by Republicans. And Max, you never know which way the wind blows there. While Netflix is cheapy projects produced in a fortnight on the cheap.

Disney would rather curtail its viewership to those who shoot bud light cans. They want to embrace Arabs, not Americans.

Nickelodeon died when Spongebob premiered. CN died when Netflix won the content wars.

It's honestly not looking all that great for American animators. Maybe some hope will come from China--oh wait, nevermind. Meanwhile Korea animates the whole world.

American animation is the best but it's cheaper and less politically antagonistic to make a bad live action show. And all Millennials can't afford cable so all youngs cut cable. Lots of Gen-X now too probably. The only ones watching networks are booms and they made the Golden Bachelor. TV in America is a victim of generational cultural change. But if we're honest, the networks did this to themselves by looking after the bottom line over new projects.

So now it's rock and a hard place as they try to save more money. And sooner or later they'll be scooped up for pennies. Even ESPN is cancelling every project now. TV on networks is dying, streaming taking its place, I just hope film can survive since that's the only thing we can do right.

Thank God for Japan, given to us literally by Jesus Christiane from Argentina or something, praise Jesus. The holy land of not giving craps about politically right on the totem pole. Praise. Akihabara is the mecca of humans just making some stuff and seeing if it sticks rather than corporates coming in and workshopping a thing to death so that it's meaningless and can't have political provocations. Bland dishwater and the sort.

Golden Japan. The only people that will give me the moods I want without limiting what artists can do. The only country that still believes in honest human expression. Our corporate culture ruined everything outside of a few series, much praise to the only wise country where money and stock price and bad executives don't kill the baby in the cradle or make demands before people can ever enjoy a thing.

Much praise.
Oct 17, 2023 12:24 PM
Nov 2017
Of course. Other than anime I aften enjoy some anime, just to mix things up a little bit, so that I'm not just watching anime, but also anime.
Oct 17, 2023 3:11 PM

Apr 2023
Sure, i love me some Drawn together, Avatar, Spiderverse, etc.
Oct 17, 2023 3:50 PM

May 2020
Yes. Currently Batman The Animated Series
Oct 17, 2023 4:34 PM
Apr 2022
I'm crazy for any form of good animation,few varied examples would be

courage the cowardly dog[american cartoons]
coco[feature length big budget cg animated movies]
klaus and loving vincent[these kind of 2d animated projects are rare instances]
fantastic mr fox and isle of dogs[i love plethora of stop motion animation work]
polar express[unpopular opinion,but i love this movie even though people find the motion capture in the uncanny valley]

always on the lookout for more :)
Oct 17, 2023 8:24 PM

Feb 2019
Not anymore, I don't agree with them in general because they're aimed at kids but I think they mostly don't provide anything for kids and that makes me upset. My values also just don't align with western ones anymore, and I don't mean about LGBT characters and stuff, I just mean general attitudes, comedy, and morals. And in any case beyond that point, I'm not a kid and I don't find most of it entertaining or appealing beyond having pretty colors. And especially the fanbases, American cartoon fanbases are unbearable to me.

I also hate American animation artstyles with a passion, but I think European ones are alright. I don't really like Euro animation anymore either but it's pretty artsy and smart, more agreeable but also more experimental, so I appreciate it for what it is. I really had a huge period where I convinced myself I liked all animation and was really into it, but I just don't like it all. On a whole, there's not many I genuinely like and don't cringe at.
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Oct 17, 2023 8:30 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to _ssaab__
I'm crazy for any form of good animation,few varied examples would be

courage the cowardly dog[american cartoons]
coco[feature length big budget cg animated movies]
klaus and loving vincent[these kind of 2d animated projects are rare instances]
fantastic mr fox and isle of dogs[i love plethora of stop motion animation work]
polar express[unpopular opinion,but i love this movie even though people find the motion capture in the uncanny valley]

always on the lookout for more :)
@_ssaab__

Klaus and loving vincent are some special ones, they're amazing

Polar Express is great too, I'll never understand the uncanny valley stuff fully. I just don't feel it, it's just a good movie to me.
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Oct 17, 2023 8:32 PM

Jun 2014
Sorta. I'll occasionally watch animated movies if it piques my interest enough. Other than that, most non-anime animation I watch are just random YouTube animations from artists I like.

I used to like Nickelodeon cartoons, and my own artstyle (before I got into drawing manga) was inspired by Danny Phantom.
Oct 17, 2023 9:07 PM
Jul 2018
ever since western animation tried copying anime style and tropes, I stopped watching.
But once in a while something interesting may pop up.

Watched Castlevania but regretted it.

This Japanese adaptation is much better and closer to Castlevania legacy

Oct 17, 2023 10:04 PM

Jun 2016
i like south park and the olds episodes of the simpsons
Oct 18, 2023 2:45 AM

Mar 2023
I generally enjoy animation. Anime and non-anime alike.
Oct 18, 2023 2:48 AM

Jan 2020
Not anymore, I used to watch both Disney and Pixar during my childhood anyway.

Oct 18, 2023 3:00 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I used to watch Two and a Half men and Big Bang Theory when they aired. But after their final seasons, I didn't find anything else that was fun so that was that.
I also used to watch American Dad, Family Guy and The Simpsons. Dropped The Simpsons several years ago due to the fact that Lisa is in every episode and her know-it-all attitude pissed me of. American Dad and Family Guy got dropped last season if I remember correctly. No time to watch them anymore.
I'm stuck on watching anime only, that's the only "TV-show" I need.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Oct 18, 2023 10:45 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Teirayo
@_ssaab__

Klaus and loving vincent are some special ones, they're amazing

Polar Express is great too, I'll never understand the uncanny valley stuff fully. I just don't feel it, it's just a good movie to me.
Teirayo said:

I haven't seen that one, but I like Beowulf which I'm told uses similar animation.
その目だれの目?
Oct 18, 2023 11:00 AM

Apr 2018
Yes, of course. While anime makes up the majority of animation I watch, I love animation in general. Not just the typical Disney shit either (some of that's great), I've also seen animation by Jan Švankmajer. Anyway, as for what I'm currently watching, I'm watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I plan on watching Batman: The Animated Series and the rest of the DCAU soon, and after that hopefully I can watch the Harley Quinn series. I also plan on watching Adventure Time, and maybe I'll re-watch Gravity Falls.

Edit: Somehow I forgot to mention that outside of anime, my favourite cartoon is Avatar: The Last Airbender (which I plan on re-watching soon). Great show, but my favourite anime is better (K-ON!!). As for animated film, the Spider-Verse movies are the best things coming out of Hollywood right now.
Purple_Gh0st24Oct 18, 2023 11:25 AM
Oct 18, 2023 11:10 AM
May 2021
Yeah, stuff like Invincible, Arcane, Archer, Pantheon
Some dreamwork, some disney, some warner bros, some nickelodeon.
In summary, I've watched a lot of non-Asian animations
ASOIAF is the best piece of fiction

Oct 18, 2023 1:08 PM

Apr 2012
From time to time I watch Western depending on my mood and desire. For example, I rewatch nostalgic Nikolodeon series or watch full-length films to relax.
Oct 18, 2023 3:56 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to Lucifrost
Teirayo said:

I haven't seen that one, but I like Beowulf which I'm told uses similar animation.
@Lucifrost Yeah they're by the same people I'm pretty sure, so is that one christmas carol movie, although personally I don't really like the Beowulf movie because it kinda defeats the point of Beowulf as a piece of literature? Idk how to explain it but in any case the technology is pretty impressive
Oct 18, 2023 7:57 PM

Oct 2014
I guess Youtube, if that counts. I watch a lot of educational channels and a many of them use animation to illustrate their points. I don't watch many animated Western narrative works. When I do it's usually with my family. My mom doesn't like watching two animated films in a row, so on the rare weekend I'm with my parents the most animated movies I'd end up watching would be one.
Oct 19, 2023 2:33 AM

Dec 2019
Yeah ofc one of my favorite is that one talking horse show.
Nov 6, 2023 7:41 AM

Jan 2010
Reply to DarkInsomnia57
Disney is a hole where rats go. Pixar is Disney's hole.

American animation can be the best but Disney is owned by Republicans. And Max, you never know which way the wind blows there. While Netflix is cheapy projects produced in a fortnight on the cheap.

Disney would rather curtail its viewership to those who shoot bud light cans. They want to embrace Arabs, not Americans.

Nickelodeon died when Spongebob premiered. CN died when Netflix won the content wars.

It's honestly not looking all that great for American animators. Maybe some hope will come from China--oh wait, nevermind. Meanwhile Korea animates the whole world.

American animation is the best but it's cheaper and less politically antagonistic to make a bad live action show. And all Millennials can't afford cable so all youngs cut cable. Lots of Gen-X now too probably. The only ones watching networks are booms and they made the Golden Bachelor. TV in America is a victim of generational cultural change. But if we're honest, the networks did this to themselves by looking after the bottom line over new projects.

So now it's rock and a hard place as they try to save more money. And sooner or later they'll be scooped up for pennies. Even ESPN is cancelling every project now. TV on networks is dying, streaming taking its place, I just hope film can survive since that's the only thing we can do right.

Thank God for Japan, given to us literally by Jesus Christiane from Argentina or something, praise Jesus. The holy land of not giving craps about politically right on the totem pole. Praise. Akihabara is the mecca of humans just making some stuff and seeing if it sticks rather than corporates coming in and workshopping a thing to death so that it's meaningless and can't have political provocations. Bland dishwater and the sort.

Golden Japan. The only people that will give me the moods I want without limiting what artists can do. The only country that still believes in honest human expression. Our corporate culture ruined everything outside of a few series, much praise to the only wise country where money and stock price and bad executives don't kill the baby in the cradle or make demands before people can ever enjoy a thing.

Much praise.
@DarkInsomnia57 I don't necessarily agree with this view. Not to go into politic, but why the hell would you think Disney is owned by Republican when one of them is going after Disney. Also, other GOPs went after Disney too, so how do you explain that?

DarkInsomnia57 said:
And all Millennials can't afford cable so all youngs cut cable. Lots of Gen-X now too probably. The only ones watching networks are booms and they made the Golden Bachelor. TV in America is a victim of generational cultural change. But if we're honest, the networks did this to themselves by looking after the bottom line over new projects.

Huh, don't you have any streaming at all? Do you not watch any US adult animation like Netflix's Castlevania, nor anything else. You never watch Love, Death & Robots? It's kinda like Robot Carnival. Speaking of Robot Carnival, what would happen if Netflix was able to get a lot of Japanese studio to get involved in Love, Death & Robot's future season and let say that season is called "Robot Carnival 2.0" by the fans, would you watch it?

One more question: Do you not watch any animation that is not Japan like anything from South Korea, or China?
Nov 6, 2023 11:16 AM

Jun 2014
Well, I've been obsessed with the Amazing Digitla Circus, lately.

Aside from that, all I really watch are Rick and Morty, King of the Hill and the Simpsons.

I also used to watch RWBY but lost interest in it.
Nov 15, 2023 9:44 AM

Nov 2017
Reply to mdo7
@DarkInsomnia57 I don't necessarily agree with this view. Not to go into politic, but why the hell would you think Disney is owned by Republican when one of them is going after Disney. Also, other GOPs went after Disney too, so how do you explain that?

DarkInsomnia57 said:
And all Millennials can't afford cable so all youngs cut cable. Lots of Gen-X now too probably. The only ones watching networks are booms and they made the Golden Bachelor. TV in America is a victim of generational cultural change. But if we're honest, the networks did this to themselves by looking after the bottom line over new projects.

Huh, don't you have any streaming at all? Do you not watch any US adult animation like Netflix's Castlevania, nor anything else. You never watch Love, Death & Robots? It's kinda like Robot Carnival. Speaking of Robot Carnival, what would happen if Netflix was able to get a lot of Japanese studio to get involved in Love, Death & Robot's future season and let say that season is called "Robot Carnival 2.0" by the fans, would you watch it?

One more question: Do you not watch any animation that is not Japan like anything from South Korea, or China?
@mdo7 There's multiple brands of GOP. DeSantis Florida brand, mainstream brand, religious etc. It's a big tent.

Disney is family branded television for people who think there's too much reading in schools.

Invincible was good, WB is good. Cartoon Network fell off though in the last couple of years.

Technically all American animation is made by S. Koreans so yah. Castlevania is neat but why watch Netflix mediumcore shows?

Japan is no. 1 in world animation but Across the Spiderverse was kind of tasty tho. America is pretty good with computers, Puss in Boots was well-animated as well. America getting OK with computermation now.
Nov 15, 2023 2:18 PM

Nov 2023
I watched a little bit of Invincible. Watched all of The Last Airbender. I forget the others.

I watch Invincible because I like Eve. XD

I also used to have a crush on Azula. Haha.
Nov 15, 2023 4:05 PM

Jan 2010
DarkInsomnia57 said:
Invincible was good, WB is good. Cartoon Network fell off though in the last couple of years.

Technically all American animation is made by S. Koreans so yah. Castlevania is neat but why watch Netflix mediumcore shows?

Japan is no. 1 in world animation but Across the Spiderverse was kind of tasty tho.

Did you bother to watch any Chinese animation? What about Korean animation? How many animation did you watch that aren't Japanese nor American?

I mean do you watch something like Heaven Official's Blessing? What about Daily Life of the Immortal King? Did you never bother to watch those or do you have something against Chinese animation?
Nov 15, 2023 4:35 PM

Nov 2017
Reply to mdo7
DarkInsomnia57 said:

Japan is no. 1 in world animation but Across the Spiderverse was kind of tasty tho.

Did you bother to watch any Chinese animation? What about Korean animation? How many animation did you watch that aren't Japanese nor American?

I mean do you watch something like Heaven Official's Blessing? What about Daily Life of the Immortal King? Did you never bother to watch those or do you have something against Chinese animation?
@mdo7 Never seen um. Chinese would just be social censored, no reason. But I guess it's medieval?
Nov 15, 2023 4:59 PM

Jan 2010
Reply to DarkInsomnia57
@mdo7 Never seen um. Chinese would just be social censored, no reason. But I guess it's medieval?
@DarkInsomnia57 What the hell you mean you never seen them? I can't speak if there's censorship or whatsoever. Don' tell me you never watch Lookism (a South Korean ONA) on Netflix?

I mean don't you read any webtoons from South Korea at all?
Nov 15, 2023 8:21 PM

Nov 2017
Reply to mdo7
@DarkInsomnia57 What the hell you mean you never seen them? I can't speak if there's censorship or whatsoever. Don' tell me you never watch Lookism (a South Korean ONA) on Netflix?

I mean don't you read any webtoons from South Korea at all?
@mdo7 uh, some manhwa I guess are pretty good. Otherwise no.
Nov 15, 2023 8:46 PM

Jan 2022
i'm a western animation lover first, anime lover second, and i wouldn't have gotten into anime at all if i wasn't in love with cartoons beforehand. grew up watching cartoon network, nickelodeon, disney channel, ect during the 2000s, and its shaped my personal identity a crazy amount over the years. alot of people tend to write off western animation as being "just for kids" (not so much these days, but def when most popular cartoons were coming out), whilst most anime is pg-13 or otherwise very much NOT for kids, so its interesting to see how the general public and animation enthusiasts alike view them in comparison.

as someone who's found years of enjoyment in consuming both thru a (somewhat) critical lense, the bottom line is this: if you're an anime purist, you should give western animation a shot and vice versa, because animation is just a medium, and noone should let preconceived notions about a medium keep them from experiencing great art. admittedly, ive struggled with my own prejudices against live action stuff for a while and am just starting to come around on it. watched mean girls for the first time this afternoon and ended up giving it a fat, juicy, unironic 9/10. y'never know!
Nov 15, 2023 9:02 PM

Jan 2010
Reply to DarkInsomnia57
@mdo7 uh, some manhwa I guess are pretty good. Otherwise no.
@DarkInsomnia57 So sounds like you never downloaded the Webtoon app or read it from their webpage on your smartphone. and bother to read some webtoons from South Korea? You do know that MAL has webtoons in it's database entry, right.

Moonlava said:
i'm a western animation lover first, anime lover second, and i wouldn't have gotten into anime at all if i wasn't in love with cartoons beforehand.

Same here, that's how I started it out too for me.

Moonlava said:
grew up watching cartoon network, nickelodeon, disney channel, ect during the 2000s

Wait, what year were you born? If you were born in 1987 (like me), how did you not get MAL back in the early 2010's (like I did).

Moonlava said:
alot of people tend to write off western animation as being "just for kids" (not so much these days, but def when most popular cartoons were coming out)

Well that, and the rise of adult animation that has been coming out in the last few years.

Moonlava said:
if you're an anime purist, you should give western animation a shot and vice versa, because animation is just a medium, and noone should let preconceived notions about a medium keep them from experiencing great art. admittedly, ive struggled with my own prejudices against live action stuff for a while and am just starting to come around on it.

You kinda remind me of myself when I was way younger (well 7-10 years old me to be exact).
Nov 18, 2023 4:22 AM

Jun 2015
yes the mcu, well atleast till endgame, thanos in 3 n 4 was very well animated.
Nov 23, 2023 4:30 PM

Nov 2020
Yep. I like anime because I like animation. I'll watch all kinds of animation.

...The thing I'm picky on is live action stuff, lol.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7781 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
12 minutes ago

» Pick the song you like the most from the 3 users above

tsukareru - May 29

4 by tsukareru »»
4 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3507 by Azulmagia88 »»
8 hours ago

» What was the last TV show episode (non anime) have you watched?

Vargnatt - Mar 23

47 by Nette »»
Yesterday, 8:52 PM

» Favorite films? ( 1 2 3 4 )

naptakermango - Mar 8, 2021

172 by GCRyan »»
Yesterday, 6:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.