Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 7, 2020 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cool, they put out a surreal fight right into the beginning of this episode. The pendulums and battle segment looked phenomenal. Iroha fighting side by side with the magical girls gave me the chills.

It seems after the buildup, they really managed to capitalize on making this episode in all its glory. Iroha's new friend is actually adorable lol
Mar 7, 2020 7:25 AM

Nov 2007
A machine activated and pulling stuff...

"Twin" appears, then green hair girl created that space.

Blond girl from main story appears again. She's part of the association. Green hair girl ran away.

Green taintail girl joins w. their life, but doesn't want to make friends w. rest of them. Shopping together to buy cups.

Showing family of green twintail girl. She's from rich family, huh. But they don't really care for her, so she decided to be with the group.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 7, 2020 8:35 AM
Aug 2015
I love how the anime adapted Alina, it showed her ability to control witches, showed how crazy she is and how beautiful she is!

It also revealed that she is one of the Magius (the core members not just a wing)

We also got to see more of the flute twins being team rocket, I hope we get to see them fight more soon.

Mami interrupted and then revealed that she has joined the Wings of Magius?!?

Madoka and Sayaka cameo!!!!

There are some old mugs in Yachiyo's cupboard, I wonder when the anime will go over their backstory

The team has gotten some new mugs to bring them closer together! I love how cute they are!!

I think we all hate Sana's family, I love the symbolism of one light not working to represent how Sana doesn't fit in with the family.

Damn the after-credits ended with a cliffhanger, now we know that one of Ui's friends (Nemu) is one of the Magius.
ErohaMar 7, 2020 8:38 AM
Mar 7, 2020 9:38 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Alina's intervention sure inadvertently managed to save Iroha and Sana from a messy demise. The combo attack of Yui and Felicia sure was fun. Though Mami's intervention was timely its surprising that even she will be part of the Magius. I guess even Mami wise as she is is tired of seeing endless sacrifices of magical girls. Yachiyo's dorm though sure is starting to get livelier. Still looks like it will take time for Sana to break out of her past. The mug store though sure had an impressive collection. While its nice to see Iroha and team try to treat Sana as family her original family sure was rotten. But its nice seeing Sana start to realize that family doesn't need to be blood related and that home can be where the people who care about you are. Overall a decent ep that while doing well in allowing Sana to break her shell also presented some interesting revelations regarding the increasing members of the magius. Looks like the conflict between the two sides will start to escalate though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2020 9:45 AM

Apr 2014
The latter half of this episode was okay, but dang that first half was really rough.

That may have been one of the most poorly animated action sequences I've ever seen in anime. The characters all looked so stiff.

Also, the direction was really weird. How did Yachiyo's group sneak by the twins in such an open space? Why did they only show the hand of the character pressing the button on the radio dish thing? Also, the machine's display said "Magnetic Mode," but was somehow able to attract Sana and Iroha?

Overall, the first half just felt super sloppy and hard to follow. Definitely the episode I've enjoyed the least so far.

Here's hoping the final arc will compensate for this.
Mar 7, 2020 9:48 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Intense and very curious-striking first half followed by a very sweet and heartfelt second half, more of the weekly dose of great Magia Record stuff!

Damn, they really give that green-haired girl quite the sinister impression. Twitching of the eyes and then that black miasma radiating, that's some impressive direction and visual effects there! Looks like the "Wing of Magius" organisation is not entirely on one page by the looks of it from this episode.

Bloody shocked that Mami-san has joined their ranks though. Dope reappearance once again, it's always a treat to see more of her really. And some nice teaser for the long time fans of the franchise, brilliant! It's hard to make out where these Magia Record events lie in the franchise's timeline from that alone but I'm sure we'll be getting more hints.

And the misunderstanding between Mafuyu and Yachiyo-san keeps getting worse, in the meantime it seems. I wonder how this'll play out ultimately.

Anyway, on to the second half now. Very nice to see Yachiyo-san slowly warming up to this new family too! I'd a nasty feeling that Sana-chan was going to dig a grave for herself when she out for a stroll and even more so with the visual depictions but thankfully my fears were for naught. Sweet little moment right before the ED there to finish it off with.

Yikes, looks like one of the trails of Iroha's does indeed lie with the "Wings of Magius". How did I not see this coming?

Just three more episodes... Hopefully, a second season is already under discussion at least and that we won't have to wait too long for more.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 7, 2020 10:01 AM

May 2015
Mami is magius now. Neat.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 7, 2020 10:02 AM
Aug 2015
faeryghost said:
The latter half of this episode was okay, but dang that first half was really rough.

That may have been one of the most poorly animated action sequences I've ever seen in anime. The characters all looked so stiff.

Overall, the first half just felt super sloppy and hard to follow. Definitely the episode I've enjoyed the least so far.

This is most likely due to the Coronavirus
Mar 7, 2020 11:08 AM
Jan 2013
Character animation in action scenes hasn't been very special before this either, but yeah... this time it was quite bad. I really hope they'll improve it for the final release.

Eroha said:
It also revealed that she is one of the Magius (the core members not just a wing)

Damn the after-credits ended with a cliffhanger, now we know that one of Ui's friends (Nemu) is one of the Magius.

I wonder if it's even clear to the average viewer (who's not familiar with the game) that Magius and Wings of Magius aren't the same thing. It was explained once in episode 7 but a lot of people seem to have overlooked or forgotten about it.
Mar 7, 2020 11:09 AM

Mar 2013
I like that they've broken out of the shell of rigid adherence to the game's plotline. This episode has a very organic pacing thanks to it.
_MushiRock11_ said:
Looks like the "Wing of Magius" organisation is not entirely on one page by the looks of it from this episode.
Mami jumping Alina was definitely a surprise. I imagine she did it on the direction of the other two Magius, who are a little less.... creative with the concept of "sanity", shall we say.
Bloody shocked that Mami-san has joined their ranks though.
It makes sense when you think about it, though. She did kill Kyouko after finding out magical girls turned into witches, so the Magius offering liberation from that fate would naturally appeal to her greatly, especially with her guilt over dragging Madoka and Sayaka into that fate.
Yikes, looks like one of the trails of Iroha's does indeed lie with the "Wings of Magius". How did I not see this coming?
They haven't done anything with her outside of flashbacks with Touka and Ui and we only just caught a glimpse of the other two Magius, so there wasn't really much that could be taken as forewarning.
faeryghost said:

Also, the direction was really weird. How did Yachiyo's group sneak by the twins in such an open space?
The twins weren't paying attention; they were too busy fretting over what would happen to them due to the uwasa's being destroyed.
Why did they only show the hand of the character pressing the button on the radio dish thing?
Why show more? It's clearly Tsuruno's hand, so it's not like anything gets hidden.
Mar 7, 2020 11:30 AM

Apr 2014
Polycell said:
The twins weren't paying attention; they were too busy fretting over what would happen to them due to the uwasa's being destroyed.

I understand that the twins would be distracted and a little slow on the uptake for that reason, but Yachiyo's group ran across a metal bridge and had a small conversation before getting to the machine. Even a small change like having the twins react to their presence before Tsuruno presses the button would help the flow in my opinion.

Why show more? It's clearly Tsuruno's hand, so it's not like anything gets hidden.

I didn't feel like it was very clear that it was Tsuruno until I went back to check. Not every viewer is going to have each character's hand (or voice) memorized enough to identify it in one second.

A few changes would have helped flow and believability a lot for me, is all I'm saying. I'm still happy for those who were able to enjoy the episode, though!
faeryghostMar 7, 2020 11:37 AM
Mar 7, 2020 11:39 AM
Aug 2015
Yuhani said:

Eroha said:

I wonder if it's even clear to the average viewer (who's not familiar with the game) that Magius and Wings of Magius aren't the same thing. It was explained once in episode 7 but a lot of people seem to have overlooked or forgotten about it.

Well a lot of things in Madoka aren't clear until a rewatch so its not too much of a problem
Mar 7, 2020 11:40 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Polycell said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
Looks like the "Wing of Magius" organisation is not entirely on one page by the looks of it from this episode.
Mami jumping Alina was definitely a surprise. I imagine she did it on the direction of the other two Magius, who are a little less.... creative with the concept of "sanity", shall we say.

Can't say otherwise given what I've seen from this episode, really.

Polycell said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
Bloody shocked that Mami-san has joined their ranks though.
It makes sense when you think about it, though. She did kill Kyouko after finding out magical girls turned into witches, so the Magius offering liberation from that fate would naturally appeal to her greatly, especially with her guilt over dragging Madoka and Sayaka into that fate.

Oh, are you referring to one of those pasts from Akemi's journey (Episode 10-11 of the OG)? Now that you mention it, it does certainly make sense. A reference to that guilt this episode too, thanks for the find!

Polycell said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
They haven't done anything with her outside of flashbacks with Touka and Ui and we only just caught a glimpse of the other two Magius, so there wasn't really much that could be taken as forewarning.

Well, the fact that Iroha (the MC) has been caught up in this predicament which just keeps mystifying by the episode is a hint by itself that there's something more to it than that catches the eye, I reckon. I think I phrased it wrong earlier actually, I was surprised (not disappointed, however) by my own shock of this reveal or something of that sort. I hope that makes sense...

Mar 7, 2020 12:21 PM
Jan 2013
Eroha said:
Yuhani said:

Well a lot of things in Madoka aren't clear until a rewatch so its not too much of a problem

But this is something that's supposed to be clear. For example the dramatic effect of the last scene depends on the viewer understanding what it means. Especially with a mystery story like this the experience of watching it for the first time and not knowing what's going to happen is important.
Mar 7, 2020 12:26 PM

Jan 2014
Those were some really nice mugs.

Holy shit Mami.
Mar 7, 2020 12:41 PM
Dec 2019
Yuhani said:
Eroha said:

But this is something that's supposed to be clear. For example the dramatic effect of the last scene depends on the viewer understanding what it means. Especially with a mystery story like this the experience of watching it for the first time and not knowing what's going to happen is important.

I remembered that they were not the same thing but forgot that wing of magius serve the purposes of the magius. But I consider that it is my fault if I did not remember (and not anime's fault)
But even If I remembered, I don't know if it would have been much more impactful, I mean it is just UI's friend. If it was UI herself (or one of the main cast character or one of the secondary main cast(momoko's group) it would have been different but Nemu has not enough importance for me. Or there is something that I don't see that make the thing much more important
houloukMar 7, 2020 2:19 PM
Mar 7, 2020 1:13 PM

Nov 2013
Episode 10 and not going to lie, not a whole lot has happened and somehow almost everything turns out fine and all the girls are unharmed at all times... cute watch but i'm not feeling any darkness or urgency
Mar 7, 2020 1:26 PM

Apr 2018
I'm starting to think the two girls Mami and Mifuyu talked to are in fact the two girls from the hospital and Ui's friends; meaning Magius is indeed related to Ui's disappearence... well, I still can't shake the idea Madoka will become Madokami in the 13th episode and end it all lol
Mar 7, 2020 1:35 PM

Feb 2015
I play the game, and I was completely lost on the first part with the Magius encounter. Nothing makes sense, lol. How the hell did Iroha and Sana get attracted by the magnet? What was the point in that entire battle? And Mami being completely different from how she is in the game...
At least it's nice they did the team mug scene and the part about Sana returning to her old family one more time...
Mar 7, 2020 2:11 PM
Jan 2013
Milennin said:
Nothing makes sense, lol. How the hell did Iroha and Sana get attracted by the magnet?

If it's the use of the word "magnetic" that confuses you, you can blame that on the translation.
Mar 7, 2020 2:43 PM
Jul 2015
Honestly, I have no idea what's happening anymore in the story.
Mar 7, 2020 2:45 PM
Jul 2015
Yuhani said:
Character animation in action scenes hasn't been very special before this either, but yeah... this time it was quite bad. I really hope they'll improve it for the final release.

Eroha said:

Anime-only here. I had no idea. Honestly, the entire thing starts to make less and less sense to me. I don't know how the game does it, but the anime does a poor job of story telling here imo
Mar 7, 2020 2:59 PM

Jan 2019
I really don't like the action in this anime. Most of the action scenes are frustrating, there seems to be no one on the staff who knows how to do them. In a story where several battles take place, this is quite annoying.

On the other hand, once again the anime is very good in the calm parts. I would like to see Doroinu directing a slice of life anime.

Fortunately now, with all five characters of the main cast introduced, it seems like "the big things" are finally going to happen and the plot is finally going to start moving. There is no one else to be introduced, the Magius are revealed, Mami-san is part of them and the "rumors hunt" will not continue as before. Hope I'm not wrong for hoping that from now on this story will get better, since the stage of introducing the characters is over. I can't be so optimistic about what I should expect from the action, but as long as the story is interesting, it will be worthwhile.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Mar 7, 2020 3:11 PM

Jan 2019
Yuhani said:

Anime-only here.

I am fully aware of this. Its clear enough to me that the organization has three leaders, called Magius, and the rest of the members are the wings of Magius. There are also the white wings, like the Amane sisters, and the black wings, like the hooded ones.

The anime didn't give less information than it should about it, people shouldn't blame the show for their own lack of attention.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Mar 7, 2020 3:12 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting first half, Alina has some wicked powers, like controlling witches and stuff. Not gonna lie, she looked like she was gonna go berserk. Glad Mami interfered before anything bad could happen.

I am really curious about why Mami is also part of the Magius, cause I didn't expect that!
Gotta love that Sayaka & Madoka cameo though!

Those old mugs really felt like an important thing appearing on screen, like they kinda look like the resemble the magical girls staying in that house, but I would guess it may have been previous Magical Girls Yachiyo have worked with, as they all got their own mug the scene after...

Jeez, that's a lot of mugs though!!
Mar 7, 2020 3:30 PM

Jan 2019
CeddyyBearr said:
I am really curious about why Mami is also part of the Magius, cause I didn't expect that!

She wants the salvation of the magical girls. Mami-san wanted to kill everyone and commit suicide when she discovered that the fate of magical girls was to become witches, so it is natural that she is willing to seek salvation at all costs. Hope for salvation must be the only thing that keeps her from giving up now, plus the guilt of having induced her kouhais Madoka and Sayaka to have the same fate.
Mar 7, 2020 3:46 PM

Apr 2015
Ryoketsu said:
CeddyyBearr said:

She wants the salvation of the magical girls. Mami-san wanted to kill everyone and commit suicide when she discovered that the fate of magical girls was to become witches, so it is natural that she is willing to seek salvation at all costs. Hope for salvation must be the only thing that keeps her from giving up now, plus the guilt of having induced her kouhais Madoka and Sayaka to have the same fate.

Not gonna lie, I rewatched it again since I thought I had missed something and afterwards saw your quote... should have been obvious from the get go.. Thanks anyway for the clarification!
Mar 7, 2020 6:21 PM

Jan 2011
first half looked quite rough but i haven't said much about this show but damn it really is persona 3 magic girl edition

besides digging into the more serious plot ,enjoying the dorm life seeing Yachiyo being so nice and caring is great
Mar 7, 2020 6:41 PM
Mar 2017
I'm so happy for little Sana, she finally has people who care about her and listen to her, after having suffered so much for her disgusting family, but also the mystery behind Ui's disappearance finally has an interesting clue thanks to Sana.

The episode began with a rather interesting fight, where Alina completely lost her mind when she saw that her plans failed and the endless Solitude was destroyed.
To my surprise Mami appeared at the right time and stopped Alina, but this surprise dulls when I saw that she also belongs to the Wings of Magius, but at least I see that she does it for the sake of Madoka and Sayaka, I hope that soon She sees what Magius's Wings hide.

Then we return to the days of peace and how Sana adapts to her new home, although it was a difficult process for her especially because of the loss of Ai, but the girls did a lot to make Sana open to them.
The visit to the cup store was quite pleasant, it felt like they were just normal girls enjoying their company and laughing, I personally laughed a lot when Felicia chose her cow cup and the reasons why she wanted to have it, I'm glad to see how happy Felicia is now.
The part where Sana returns to her house made a knot in my heart, poor Sana, had to relive those bad memories with her disgusting heartless family, but at least that visit was something she needed to do, since apart from going to take away her belongings, she severed her ties with her family and finally freed herself from continuing to suffer with a family that did not deserve a girl as adorable as she was and was the step to open her arms to her new family.
I was very pleased with that familiar and cozy atmosphere where the girls discussed who would make dinner, hopefully that warmth will last for the good of all.
The post-credit scene was a big surprise, Sana delivered very relevant information to Iroha, since Nemu, one of Ui's friends is also a magical girl and is part of the Wings of Magius.
Mar 7, 2020 7:38 PM

Oct 2017
Mami joining the Magius was surprising. Now I really wonder what they are upto cause it doesn't seem like they are just trying to free all the magical girls. The higher ups might have different goals.

Glad to see Sana is living with the girls now and she's opening upto them slowly. That part with her family was horrible, I felt bad for her.

Also the post credit scene was interesting. So one of Ui's friends from the hospital might be a member of the magius huh.
Mar 7, 2020 8:13 PM

May 2018
Turns out Mami is playing for the Magius side.
Why am I not surprised.

This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Mar 7, 2020 9:05 PM
Dec 2018
I think there wasn't anything brilliant about this episode, but there wasn't anything bad in particular either. The real reason people are salty because Mami is one of the Magius, and that's all. The one person who makes Magius look bad is Alina Grey, that crazy artist. We'll have to wait for bluray patch to see if the animation gets better. That makes me think, most of us here haven't seen Madoka Magica non-blu-ray version. I recently downloaded that ancient relic as a new addition to my Madoka Magica anime collection. Have to agree fight scenes aren't fluid and lack frames. But I'm glad the episodes are airing even while other shows are getting delayed by Corona Virus.
Mar 8, 2020 12:15 AM

Oct 2007
Sana lost her Ai friend, but she gained four magical girl friends. Her real family is terrible. She would have a better life living with the kind magical girls at the boarding house.

Yachiyo is really kind letting Felicia and Sana stay at her house for free. The place has become a home for homeless mahou shoujo.

Iroha get another clue from Sana on how to find lost sis. Nemu, the girl from the hospital seems to be one of the magis girls.

looking forward to next week! :)
Mar 8, 2020 12:43 AM

Apr 2018
Eroha said:

There are some old mugs in Yachiyo's cupboard, I wonder when the anime will go over their backstory

On the next arc, I hope the anime will cover Yachiyo's backstory at the end of this anime season.

喜べ少年
君の願いはようやく叶う。
YOROKOBE SHOUNEN, KIMI no NEGAI wa youyaku KANAU.
Rejoice, your wish will be finally granted.
"THE RATE UP IS A LIE!"
Mar 8, 2020 1:25 AM

Nov 2008
I'm sure i'm not the first to notice the drop in animation quality, most noticeable during the action in the beginning of the episode. Said action part also had quite weird direction, with some very abrupt cuts between the scenes, like when in one shot Yachiyo was kneeling over Iroha who just landed on the roof and in the next they are already in combat stance in a different place.

Also, the game players surely should have noticed a difference in how Mami was portrayed here. Seeing her not trying to play messiah and thinking back about her responsibility for Madoka & Sayaka becoming magical girls, and also considering how her outfit was left unchanged, i'm assuming the anime creators made a decision to abandon such a lazy and uninspired plot device as "brainwashing", and if that's really the case here, then i, for one, welcome such change.

P.s. dorky Amanes are among the few good things in this anime

salarx said:
I think there wasn't anything brilliant about this episode, but there wasn't anything bad in particular either. The real reason people are salty because Mami is one of the Magius, and that's all.

Could you point me towards at least one message in this thread to back up that second statement of yours? All the criticism i see here is either about the animation quality or overall direction of this anime, and all the comments about Mami joining the Magius are that of a suprise, not disappointment.
GenoardMar 8, 2020 1:31 AM
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Mar 8, 2020 4:37 AM

Oct 2007
_MushiRock11_ said:
Intense and very curious-striking first half followed by a very sweet and heartfelt second half, more of the weekly dose of great Magia Record stuff!

Damn, they really give that green-haired girl quite the sinister impression. Twitching of the eyes and then that black miasma radiating, that's some impressive direction and visual effects there! Looks like the "Wing of Magius" organisation is not entirely on one page by the looks of it from this episode.

Bloody shocked that Mami-san has joined their ranks though. Dope reappearance once again, it's always a treat to see more of her really. And some nice teaser for the long time fans of the franchise, brilliant! It's hard to make out where these Magia Record events lie in the franchise's timeline from that alone but I'm sure we'll be getting more hints.

And the misunderstanding between Mafuyu and Yachiyo-san keeps getting worse, in the meantime it seems. I wonder how this'll play out ultimately.

Anyway, on to the second half now. Very nice to see Yachiyo-san slowly warming up to this new family too! I'd a nasty feeling that Sana-chan was going to dig a grave for herself when she out for a stroll and even more so with the visual depictions but thankfully my fears were for naught. Sweet little moment right before the ED there to finish it off with.

Just three more episodes... Hopefully, a second season is already under discussion at least and that we won't have to wait too long for more.

nice post. yeah, Alina does have a sinister impression. Like a crazy artist who would do anything to make the perfect artwork.

and lastly, Yachiyo is becoming more kind as the series goes on. She sounded cold and uncaring when first introduced, but after saved by Iroha who showed her real kindess.. things slowly became better for her. Now, she has some sort of happy family, not alone anymore. :)
Mar 8, 2020 4:49 AM
Dec 2019
So now, we know that there is a link between UI and rumors because it did not seam clear to me
(but maybe it is just me). Despite all its defects, this episode is welcome because it recalls that there is a main plot.
But I note that nobody mentioned 2 important revelations in this episode
- they want to liberate human emotions so I think magius know kyubey's plan (or they are allies with him)
- Iroha and Sana are robots, that's why they were attracted by the magnet
(or it is a translation issue but in this case, why are they attracted and not other girls ?)

I hope that quality drop in animation is just for this time and not due to a lack of budget.
Mar 8, 2020 5:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Liddo-kun said:
nice post. yeah, Alina does have a sinister impression. Like a crazy artist who would do anything to make the perfect artwork.

and lastly, Yachiyo is becoming more kind as the series goes on. She sounded cold and uncaring when first introduced, but after saved by Iroha who showed her real kindess.. things slowly became better for her. Now, she has some sort of happy family, not alone anymore. :)

Oh why, thank you!

I agree, and credits to Shaft for mastering that whole scene.

I know right, it's so sweet to see! ED and the first few episodes gives the impression that she's broken inside but this past episode in particular is like the perfect pay-off, hopefully this isn't setting up some death flags or so though...

Mar 8, 2020 6:35 AM
Dec 2018
Genoard said:

Could you point me towards at least one message in this thread to back up that second statement of yours? All the criticism i see here is either about the animation quality or overall direction of this anime, and all the comments about Mami joining the Magius are that of a suprise, not disappointment.

Impression based on initial number of 2/5 votes, though I could be totally wrong. Action animation quality has somewhat been the same (except for Iroha's Doppel reveal, where it compensates for the other action scenes). So it's more like there wasn't an action scene to compensate for substandard action scenes. Sill then the witch fight was like for 1 minute and a half before Mami interrupted. The whole scene on top of tower takes roughly 8 minutes of the whole episode. So I was thinking maybe the second half didn't compensate for the the action, or simply Mami is to blame.

This episode has shots with meme potential though.
salarxMar 8, 2020 7:42 AM
Mar 8, 2020 6:45 AM

Feb 2011
Eroha said:
faeryghost said:

This is most likely due to the Coronavirus

let's not act like the anime industry didn't have production issues before the coronavirus outbreak
Mar 8, 2020 6:48 AM
Dec 2019
It was a joke I think
Mar 8, 2020 6:53 AM

May 2019
Oof, this episode is pretty bad, especially compared to the previous episode, which I thought was actually pretty solid. The fight animation in MR has been disappointing so far, but I feel like it's especially egregious this episode. Inu Curry seems to be leaning on their unique aesthetic, which is obviously their forte and I still appreciate, but it's just sad to see that the fight animation seems to have very little priority to them.

Also, in Mami's flashback to Sayaka and Madoka ("the girls I guided"), Madoka's face is obscured in both of them, which feels like a wink and a nod to the fact that in the "Godoka" timeline, she doesn't exist anymore. But this is obviously NOT that timeline, considering witches still exist, so this must be previous timeline. Just seems weird to reference, but ah well.
Mar 8, 2020 7:03 AM

Jan 2019
houlouk said:
So now, we know that there is a link between UI and rumors because it did not seam clear to me
(but maybe it is just me). Despite all its defects, this episode is welcome because it recalls that there is a main plot.

This is a very important point, since so far the series has only introduced the characters without any major events.

houlouk said:

But I note that nobody mentioned 2 important revelations in this episode
- they want to liberate human emotions so I think magius know kyubey's plan (or they are allies with him)

Most likely they are Kyubey's enemies. The yearning for salvation only makes sense knowing about the terrible fate to which the magical girls are subjected by Kyubey. Besides that he is prevented from entering the city, so the Magius do not want him around. Also, the little Kyubey seems to want the rumors to be destroyed, since he helped Iroha to find the core of the rumor of the lucky water. So the little Kyubey has the same interests as the normal Kyubey and both are Magius' enemies.

I suppose that little Kyubey is actually a creation of the normal Kyubey, but done in a way that the normal Kyubey himself doesn't remember creating it it order to avoid the "barrier" that Magius placed over the city.

houlouk said:

- Iroha and Sana are robots, that's why they were attracted by the magnet
(or it is a translation issue but in this case, why are they attracted and not other girls ?)

That part is really confusing.
Mar 8, 2020 7:41 AM
Dec 2018
Phosphollite said:

Also, in Mami's flashback to Sayaka and Madoka ("the girls I guided"), Madoka's face is obscured in both of them, which feels like a wink and a nod to the fact that in the "Godoka" timeline, she doesn't exist anymore. But this is obviously NOT that timeline, considering witches still exist, so this must be previous timeline. Just seems weird to reference, but ah well.

It's really sad Mami doesn't remember Homura in her flashbacks, probably she doesn't care about her. It could be that Homura hadn't met Mami before she came to Kamihama, and maybe Homura meets Madoka after Mami left for Kamihama.

I expect to see Sayaka in the next episode or the episode after, and MadoHomu in the last episode. It would be interesting to see where the story concludes and what role Madoka and Homura play.
Mar 8, 2020 8:15 AM
Oct 2019
How many episodes is this anime? Are there only two left?

I wish they would have showed Kyouko in Mami's flashback instead of Madoka and Sayaka but I guess it has never been confirmed that the CD drama/Different story manga is canon. I think it would have made more sense since Mami got to witness how Kyouko's family was destroyed.

Did Sana's family not notice that she has left her room? That doesn't make any sense wouldn't she just starve to death if she didn't eat the food? I think the previous episode did a good job showcasing Sana's depression but now it is starting to feel a little too abstract.

And while Yachiyo being a cool older sister is cute and wholesome I can't help but feel she is almost a little bit of a Mary Sue? Homura is such a flawed and layered character so the contrast is a little jarring even if Yachiyo is meant to be very mature.
Mar 8, 2020 8:49 AM
Dec 2019
Emelie_ said:

I wish they would have showed Kyouko in Mami's flashback instead of Madoka and Sayaka but I guess it has never been confirmed that the CD drama/Different story manga is canon. I think it would have made more sense since Mami got to witness how Kyouko's family was destroyed.

Did Sana's family not notice that she has left her room? That doesn't make any sense wouldn't she just starve to death if she didn't eat the food? I think the previous episode did a good job showcasing Sana's depression but now it is starting to feel a little too abstract.

And while Yachiyo being a cool older sister is cute and wholesome I can't help but feel she is almost a little bit of a Mary Sue? Homura is such a flawed and layered character so the contrast is a little jarring even if Yachiyo is meant to be very mature.

3 episodes left, maybe a second season (considering game story) but not sure
and third season if they adapt second arc but even less sure.
It is possible to stay alive multiple days (40 I think) without eating.
And as a puella magi, I don't even now if she really need to eat
Mar 8, 2020 8:54 AM
Aug 2015
Emelie_ said:

The anime didn't really give all the details, in the game it said how that the family disowned her due to her not being talented like her two step-brothers (it did kinda show it in the anime, it showed how one brother has really good grades and the other is really talented athletically)

Sana's mother says that marrying Sana's father was the worst decision of her life and that's the main reason she dislikes Sana. Her step-father also calls her an idiot and doesn't want anything to do with her and eventually the whole family disowned Sana. (they said that she tarnishes the name Futaba)

After disowning her they banned her from interacting or even talking to them, she had to email them if she needed anything. She left a note saying she moved to a friends house when she went back to the house and then the mother stopped leaving meals by her door.

TLDR: Sana's mother is a gold digger who abandons her daughter for a "good" family

Also, you can read the whole thing here https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Sana_Futaba#Side_Story
Mar 8, 2020 8:56 AM

Oct 2007
with how weirdly it is portrayed... Sana's house feels like a terrifying witch labyrinth itself.
Mar 8, 2020 9:11 AM
Dec 2018
Emelie_ said:

Everything became canon the moment Madoka became God. So Drama CD, Different Story, Magia Record, all are canon.

Regarding families not noticing the strange things, it's probably a by product of the wish made by the potential magical girl. Like only Iroha notices the right side of the room is completely empty, and she accidently making two lunch boxes. Ofcourse not all wishes are powerful enough to rewrite the universe like Madoka and Homura did, so things continue to happen, but they might not seem strange to normal people. Same goes for the rumour spreader. A Magical Girl can identify the strange familiar type entity, but normal people consider it completely normal person.

Regarding Yachiyo, she's as powerful and experienced as Mami is, if not more. She's not anything near perfect and had troubled relationship with Tsuruno and Momoko. Next episodes should focus on Yachiyo and it'll reveal more things about her. Also Homura has lived more than any Magical Girl alive if you consider time travel, so there's no comparison here. So don't expect any drastic change here.
salarxMar 8, 2020 9:21 AM
Mar 8, 2020 9:33 AM

Dec 2018
There is a couple thing disturbs me but I just gonna ask one thing:

I'm at lost at the cubes, did they just freely use Alina's barrier magic?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

15 by salarx »»
May 10, 10:16 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2020

237 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 11:00 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

136 by HimeCrycho »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.