Forum Settings
Forums

What makes your favourite character(s) your favourite?

New
Sep 10, 2017 1:49 AM

Sep 2017
Why do you like your favourite characters so much? Do you look for certain traits that make them your favourite? Or are there other reasons?
Sep 10, 2017 1:55 AM

Apr 2013
Well *inserts really long cheesy reason to why I love Mizushima Saki so much, which I already discussed in many other forums, eh he's super cute and admirable that's why he's my fave Anime character of all time* (oh but for Akari and Johnny, their personalities, that's why they're in my fave characters list. I enjoyed every single episode of Aikatsu! that they were in)

Aidoru-OjisanSep 10, 2017 1:58 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Sep 10, 2017 1:56 AM

Sep 2017
How entertaining they are in their anime
How iconic their quotes is
How they changed a character
How they redeemed themselves
How they impact your life.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 10, 2017 1:59 AM

Jul 2015
Male : Smart badass
Female : waifu material
Sep 10, 2017 2:11 AM

Apr 2017
I just can't say what makes my favorite character favorite. It's just like falling in love. You fall in love with a random person. It doesn't have to be the most beautiful person. And there are no logic reasons for falling in love. You just love that person because you love her/him.

And for the favorite character part I'd probably say Vegeta the princess of all soft tacos. And I really don't know why him. He is a grouch. He always complains about something. But for some reason, I like him very much as a character. Is it because of his attitude while fighting? Or maybe his quotes (which are gold tbh.)? I don't know.
Sep 10, 2017 2:15 AM

Apr 2015
What makes Haru Usami my waifu?

Made a blog about it long ago http://aminoapps.com/page/anime/4178835/an-act-of-true-love
Sep 10, 2017 2:34 AM

Dec 2016
tragedydesu said:

As sad as this is, that's the main point. Although i do appreciate female badasses too.
Like Revy from Black Lagoon:

[img]
Sep 10, 2017 2:53 AM

Apr 2016
The fact that my favorite characters are not real.
Sep 10, 2017 2:58 AM

Apr 2017
Most of my favorites are badass and really clever with a bit of tsundereness ..

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Sep 10, 2017 3:28 AM

Jul 2013
Normally it's a combination of design + personality + role in the story + voice.
Every one of this things varies depending of the character in question.
Sep 10, 2017 3:32 AM
Aug 2017
There are something in life which you like naturally and don't need a reason for it . My favorite characters are one of those things .
Sep 10, 2017 3:33 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I tend to like clinginess and assertiveness a lot with female characters, and being a bit lewd tends to go a long way. Those are the main traits that tend to echo throughout my favorites list.

I'd say attractive character design, but I find a lot of anime girls to have attractive designs.

Sep 10, 2017 3:41 AM

Jul 2014
My favorite anime character is probably L from Death Note. One of the reasons is definitely nostalgia since it was the first anime I ever really finished, and I just liked L. Later in life I found out how much I am like him. People who I have shown Death Note to all said that I remind them of L, both in the way I talk, act, and even how I look. The reason my favorite characters are my favorite is because I can relate to them on a deeper level than just seeing them on screen and thinking they're cool. Female (and trap) characters are a little different, since they're mostly just what I look for in girls, and they're really attractive.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Sep 10, 2017 3:48 AM

Mar 2012
Since I don't really have much of "set" standards I'll just individually state why I like the character in my favorites list:
Conrad Weller - because he's the best in every way possible and my ideal type of guy
Shibuya Yuuri - I have no clue why I still haven't kicked him out of my favorites yet, doesn't interest me much anymore. But my user name is still based on him so I'll just let him be there for a while longer.
Gunter von Christ - Funniest character ever! He is still very much reliable when the time comes.
Gwendal von Voltaire - Hardworking, serious he might be a bit cold but also likes cute animals and knitting. I really admire him.
Saralegui - Things are bound to get interesting when he shows up, has an interesting personality, calm, scheming, sly and cunning, his past is relatable to me, he's someone I admire and would like to be like.
Anissina von Karbelnikoff - Good comedy material, her inventions are pretty funny interesting, she's one strong woman! And I kind of ship Gwendal x Anissina :3
Shibuya Shouri - funny otaku who believes that 2D>3D and fanboys over his wifus from gal games. Pretty much brings in anime/manga reference everywhere. The only down side is that he's into tsunderes :(
Shi Seiran and Hak - same reason as Conrad but neither of them are as good as him
Kija - really cute plus has a few traits that are similar to Gunter.

Honorable mention: Gisela von Christ - she can show the darn tsundere his place and the tsundere actually fears her. I wish the MC would be more like her *sigh*
Maou_heikaSep 10, 2017 3:52 AM
Sep 10, 2017 3:57 AM

Jan 2016
Overpower, cool, badass, smart, beautiful?, interesting?
Sep 10, 2017 4:17 AM

Aug 2017
I want to write an essay, but I already done that in other thread. Maybe I'll quote it later. :)

Basically, because they're relatable and arguably can be a person I can Imagine real, or be a part of my personality.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 10, 2017 4:38 AM

Jan 2010
nordic5king said:
Why do you like your favourite characters so much? Do you look for certain traits that make them your favourite? Or are there other reasons?

1. Posses one or more of these traits:
- Genius/smart/perceptive
- Physically strong
- Extremely good at what she/he does
- Best of the bunch
- Knows what she/he wants
- Talented but also a hard worker
- Determined
- Confident
- Unique/one of a kind
- Cool/calm/collected
- Badass
- Funny/can make me laugh
- Attractive design (in my eyes)
2. Has one or more character flaws, some that I enjoy are the following:
- Tsundere (male only)
- Yandere/psychotic/sadist
- Arrogant
- Anger issues (male only)
- Shy (female only)
- Lazy
- Cold
- Expressionless
3. In depth, well developed character:
- Engaging/unforgettable/sad/interesting back story
- Relevant to story
- Has strong/interesting relationship with one or more of the (other) main cast
4. Bonus points:
- Silver/white/ashy blond/red hair
- Red/golden eyes
- Tattoos
- Muscular/abs
- Voiced by favorite seiyuu
- Has unique/peculiar way of speech

Top 3 Husbandos:
Trafalgar Law
- Smart (is a captain and a doctor)
- Has unique and powerful Devil Fruit
- Passive-aggressive arrogant little shit
- Is laid back and gives 0 fucks about people
- The badass motherfucker who gave Eustass Kid the finger without a care in the world
- Badass
- Has his funny moments
- I think he has a sadist and creepy side to him (might has to do with his power)
- Has one of the saddest backstory
- There is a little tsundere side to him
- Is an ally of Luffy and is a very important character involved in one of the biggest mystery in One Piece
- Has an incredibly attractive design in my eyes
- Tattoos, slender but muscular, abs, sideburns
- Voiced by my favorite seiyuu
- Has unique way in calling people by adding -ya at the end of it (it's a polite speech but he said it in a condescending way most of the times)
- In his arc, it was revealed he has one clear goal from the very beginning and has planned the whole thing this whole time, willing to sacrifice everything to achieve it.

Bakugou Katsuki
- Smart, despite of having an attitude and appearance like a delinquent, he is one of the best in class academically. Everyone always underestimate his intelligent. But every attack is carefully thought out and not the type to just blindly blow up his opponent
- Has strong quirk, and strong physical body to back it up
- Is very talented in almost everything, but he also works the hardest than everyone
- Knows what he wants, and is trying his damndest to get it
- Pride is as high as Mt. Everest and has a really bad anger issues. Pretty childish too
- Badass
- Plenty of hilarious moments
- Literally stops at nothing to achieve his goal
- Is an arrogant asshole
- Gives 0 fucks about people
- Has an incredibly attractive design in my eyes
- Spiky ashy blond, piercing red eyes, muscular, abs(?), sideburns
- Has good fashion sense (his parents are apparently a stylist lol)
- Voiced by favorite seiyuu
- The character who brings out core development for the protagonist and vice versa
- Originally a very shitty character (personality wise) but his character is going through a nice and slow development
- Has peculiar way of speech, the way he says -ya in imperative sentences (not always tho) and some other that's differrent from his peers, and how he calls people by insulting nicknames, except those people who already gained his respect
- Swears a lot
- Looking at his other personality, it's save to assume there might be a tsundere side to him

Sakata Gintoki
- Badass
- A very unique character
- Easily one of the funniest character ever
- Lazy and dumb. But can be very wise and can be counted when matters.
- Quite strong, if that title "Shiroyasha" is any indication
- Has yet to know his backstory but it's not pretty so far
- His design is nice enough
- Silver hair, dead red eyes, muscular, abs
- Hilarious, unique and is Gintama's protagonist is enough reason to like him tbh lol
CrimsonMidnightSep 10, 2017 7:00 AM
Sep 10, 2017 5:10 AM

Oct 2013
Answering this kind of question is always so hard. Because I like all my favs for different reasons
I guess at the core I would say I like extreme behaviour when looking most of my favs
but of course there are other things of value too in each character I like in my favs
Sep 10, 2017 5:52 AM

Jan 2009
I have basically 3-4 most important All-Time Favorite Characters:

Shana (from Shakugan no Shana) because of her Coolness and since she's fairly popular, it's been quite easy to get Merchandise of her even in Europe.

Then the second one whom I got an Obsession for is Mare from the Visual Novel "Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star -", because I was entranced by the Voice Acting. So much, that I still have her say "Konya anata mo baka baka ne!" whenever my Computer or Laptop boots cold (though since I mostly use Hibernate for the latter, I don't hear it that often there).

I also liked Kohaku from the VN Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji very much (used a Picture of her as my Forum Avatar for a very long Time), because I found her curious observing Character quite intriguing.

My current Main Focus is on Hibiki from THE iDOLM@STER. Originally, I only watched the Music Clips several Years ago and from the Idols I saw, I found her to be the most visual striking in her Performance + I also liked her Voice.

This was the second IM@S Song I've heard (and my first Hibiki-Solo). I found her Dress in this Song far better fitting, though.

However, I only watched the Series Years after I had started to watch the IM@S Clips and only from the Anime Series did I start with my little Hibiki Obsession, which resulted in my current Forum Avatar, my current Phone Backgrounds and her being added in my Favorites.

Aside from her visual Appeal and that she does the best Thing what an Idol can do, namely draw People into her Performances, I like the Part about her Character that she is friendly with lots of Animals and also sportive.
Sep 10, 2017 6:01 AM
Aug 2017
The character is itself the reason to make them our favourite character.
Sep 10, 2017 6:21 AM

Mar 2016
Male : violent/sadists, ovepowered or perverts.
female: Cute, Waifu material, cat like features or strong personalities.
Sep 10, 2017 6:36 AM

Aug 2017
Currently the only thing that makes a character my favourite, or rather, that stands out from the others, is being full of energy.
Sep 10, 2017 6:42 AM

Jul 2015
Mostly the way i can relate to them, but there are some other factors as well, like their personality
Sep 10, 2017 6:45 AM

May 2016
They fully embrace who they are, flaws (perceived or otherwise) and all. And they're interesting, to boot!

(Obvious exceptions being Tomoko and Hamdo, who obviously know nothing about their own flaws, and that's kinda the point of them.)

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 10, 2017 6:53 AM

Jan 2014
Well, Hachiman is my favorite male because of his amazing monologues and how I relate to him (I'm sure a lot of people relate to him).
My favorite female is Re-l Mayer because of her gradual character development, what she signifies in the anime, and she's pretty damn attractive.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 10, 2017 6:53 AM

Jun 2015
I find them interesting. There's really nothing else that connects them together, apart from the obvious ones.
Sep 10, 2017 6:55 AM

Apr 2017
tits I just really love their character and their ass able to put a smile on my face

but most importantly I'd bangem
even the Prinny dood

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ πš–πšŠπš•'𝚜 π™³π™΄πšƒπ™΄π™²πšƒπ™Έπš…π™΄ πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš—
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ π™³π™΄πšƒπ™΄π™²πšƒπ™Έπš…π™΄ πš‹πš˜πš˜πš™ !
πš’ πš πš’πš•πš• πšŒπšŠπšπšŒπš‘ πšπš‘πšŽ πšŒπš’πš‹πšŽπš› πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš— !
Sep 10, 2017 7:16 AM

Mar 2016
Razzorblack said:
tragedydesu said:

As sad as this is, that's the main point. Although i do appreciate female badasses too.
Like Revy from Black Lagoon:

[img]http://data.whicdn.com/images/95934284/large.gif[./img][img]https://media.giphy.com/media/rNnvsuBMVw0da/giphy.gif[./img]
[img]http://pa1.narvii.com/5688/c4ec5ec602ee6700cca5c38e21adb0e3b18087a0_hq.gif[./img]

No Balalaika

No Roberta

Shit shit shit shit shit taste.

To the OP

Well i like different characters for different reasons. I'll just go through some of the ones on my faves list.

Sinbad (in his own series) because while he's competent, he also represents a conflicted hero who often has to weigh his morals/feelings against his dreams. And unlike most protagonists I know, sometimes his dream actually wins. He's competent in a fight so I don't feel like he's being a wimp, but he isn't so powerful that he can just sneeze any enemy away. He's a downright sly bastard sometimes but a nice guy at heart. Also very funny. Did I mention that he's a womanizer? It's impossible to get bored when watching him.

I can't say anything about Yasuda Sayo that won't be spoilers so...

Dustiness Ford Lalatina. She was actually my favourite Konosuba character even before the second season. While all the other fools were chanting that stupid chuuni loli's name, I hoisted the banners of the masochistic knight faction. To be honest, I don't put her on the same level as Sayo Yasuda or Sinbad, but she's great anyways. And I'm weak to blonde hair.

Fran Madaraki is cute, hilarious and terrifyingly naive all in one. I have never in my life seen a character like her, and I don't think I'll see another one. She's got the skills of a super-surgeon, the willingness to save any life at any cost (even if said cost involves you being horrified at yourself and wishing to die) and the stomach to put together monstrous creations. You've got appendicitis? She'll handle it, stitch you up and maybe rearrange your entire digestive system as a bonus.

I also love Sugou Nobuyuki because Sugou Nobuyuki.

Zelev said:
Well, Hachiman is my favorite male because of his amazing monologues and how I relate to him (I'm sure a lot of people relate to him).
My favorite female is Re-l Mayer because of her gradual character development, what she signifies in the anime, and she's pretty damn attractive.

*Whispers behind palm*
Let me let you in on a secret... Everyone on the website relates to Hachiman. Even those that say they don't.

Sep 10, 2017 7:18 AM

May 2016
TheDeadApostle said:
No Balalaika

No Roberta

>Forgetting about Sawyer

What the fuck, guy?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 10, 2017 7:22 AM

Apr 2015
Not much more than appearance. Thus, my favourite characters aren't necessarily 'good' characters in any way.
Sep 10, 2017 7:24 AM

Nov 2016
I don't have standards to my favorites but most of them have personalities that I either relate to them or look up to them.
Sep 10, 2017 7:50 AM

Aug 2015
1. Appearances.
Villains? Mob? Or even an imaginations? Appearances are number 1! XD
2. Personality
Badass is one of my favourite XD others are funny, cute, etc.
3. Status
Prince? Yeah.. I love Princes.. XD
4. Voice
Childish? Check. Alluring? Check. And some other too.. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Sep 10, 2017 8:23 AM
Sep 2017
If the characters are interesting enough to me to be willing to meet them in real life! How awesome would that be? :D
Sep 10, 2017 8:26 AM

Dec 2016
TheDeadApostle said:

No Balalaika

No Roberta

Well, loved Balalaika too, or even more, it's just that it's been +2 years since i watched the show and couldn't remember well, i was just puting an example on the table. Not so much about roberta (too mad even for me)

Zelkiiro said:
TheDeadApostle said:
No Balalaika

No Roberta

>Forgetting about Sawyer

What the fuck, guy?

I know the community love that chara, personally, I hate it.
RazzorblackSep 10, 2017 8:32 AM

[img]
Sep 10, 2017 8:29 AM

Jul 2016
50% appearance, 30% personality, 20% voice.

I need interesting and complex characters, not flawless perfect little cowards.

My favourites list totally proves that.
ZurakiSep 10, 2017 8:32 AM
Sep 10, 2017 8:31 AM

Dec 2016
one word for male : ATTITTUDE
one word for female: CARING!!!
Fuck Fate Faith Flaw
Sep 10, 2017 9:39 AM

Jun 2017
I don't know , it depends on how the character acts , I don't really care too much about their design , I mean , i love cute girls and sexy women or fucking strong Mc with unique personality, but I'm pretty sure my "waifus" aren't the most beautiful women created in the industry (Makise Kirisu , Yukinoshita , Senjougahara ) and my favourite male characters ( Hachiman , Edward Elric , Hanamichi Sakuragi)aren't the strongest , but I can easily relate to them and understand their actions .

Tomoko (watamote) is one of my favs too... and Asuka , Griffith is on my top 10 as well...

Sep 10, 2017 9:41 AM

Mar 2014
I have different reasons for each character but I change half of my list often.
Sep 10, 2017 9:41 AM
Sep 2017
Multiple things

.Waifu material
.cute face
.cute personality
.big breasts
.nice ass
.a badass

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Sep 10, 2017 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
They have to be smart and confident. :3

More topics from this board

» day 100 of watching shonen anime

GDjkhp - 35 minutes ago

7 by Otakupervert890 »»
35 seconds ago

» Which one of your favorite anime would you not recommend to others?

Gashadokur0 - Jun 4

29 by DesuMaiden »»
46 seconds ago

» Any good anime that are like Grimgar ?

Ventus_S - 7 hours ago

8 by JoeChip »»
56 seconds ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Jun 8

76 by Odabrani »»
1 minute ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

83 by VivaceRex »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.