Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 7, 2009 1:44 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Water of Life," the final episode. While most of the series could be described as short stories about life, tied together by drinks at a bar, this episode fittingly made the drinks the heart of this episode. Hope to see you 'round, Ryuu.
Ideal anime wife?
Aug 16, 2009 9:46 PM

Jun 2009
this episode wasn't about someone, it was more like a description of different drinks and the meaning behind them
Jan 21, 2010 2:12 PM
Jan 2009
"We bartenders have a formless job. Precisely for that reason, we must raise our ideals high, or we well become useless.
Even if we could fake our way throught the job, we cannot fake our way of life" - Sasakura Ryuu

I think that says more about the anime than it seems. Bartender job may seem like a "not so important" job, but this anime showed, to those who truly wanted to see through it, that when taken seriously, anything is able to gain enormous significance. Watching to this entire anime was an unique experience! I'm pretty sure that if I go to a bar now I won't find any bartender with that kind of deep thought, tough, which is a shame. But I really loved this anime! Totally different, and for few people as well, since most prefer to watch to just some bloody and impulsive series. And it was quite interesting to see the real bartender preparing drinks in the ending as well! Loved it. xD
HawkennJan 22, 2010 6:14 AM
Jun 26, 2010 10:53 PM

Feb 2010
It was a good last episode and making the drinks the center of it was fitting too. Still I expected more of the last episode, because some of the others were so great.

But well, I really enjoyed this series. 9/10 for now, maybe 8/10.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 16, 2010 2:27 PM
Jul 2009
truly one of the best anime i've seen in a very long time. i really enjoyed watching the final episode. it was so interesting discovering all the stories behind each of the drinks. it makes me want to walk the earth for a bartender like saskura ryuu. :D

very very enjoyable to watch~ <3
Sep 23, 2010 2:07 AM

Oct 2008
I found Bartender enjoyable but I tend to pay attention to the plot more anything else.
The plot in Bartender is just slice of life - and I find this boring.
But then there's how they connect this slice of life story to cocktails and that makes it very interesting.
Also one things that I liked a lot was the ED sequences. Very cool!

7/10 for Bartender.
Oct 27, 2010 7:02 PM

Jul 2008
Amazing series, very deep and mature. Thought me alot about how complex the alcohols of the world are and people too. 8/10
Nov 8, 2011 8:23 PM

Dec 2009
I wanted to try every one of those cocktails...even the beef broth with vodka! Oh, &amp; I *will* find someone who knows how to put together a Back Velvet.
I loved most everything about the series...the art, voice actors, sound effects, to the ending theme portion of each episode where the oh-so-cool, real life bartender makes one of the cocktails featured in that episode. *sigh!* Is there really such a bartender out there, even in Japan???
Nov 22, 2011 4:54 PM

Jun 2010
Better than i ever spected. Great show even i never heard anyone talking about it
Mar 10, 2012 10:56 PM

Dec 2009
"Water of Life", I liked that, this was a very sweet episode.
Overall this anime was very different and I really enjoyed it watching it at nights. I can even say I'm gonna miss this show. 8/10.
Mar 5, 2013 10:02 PM
Aug 2011
Not that this series is bad but I truly only enjoyed about 4 episodes.
Sine that's less than half, my score won't be as high as I wanted it to be.

I believe that this show would be best enjoyed at a leisurely pace.
My fault here is that I marathoned it instead.
May 21, 2013 7:51 PM

Jan 2013
parfaited said:
Not that this series is bad but I truly only enjoyed about 4 episodes.
Sine that's less than half, my score won't be as high as I wanted it to be.

I believe that this show would be best enjoyed at a leisurely pace.
My fault here is that I marathoned it instead.

Marathoned it too. Wish I could have seen it weekly as it was coming out, would have been more enjoyable.
That said, I still liked it. I go out of my way a lot to try unique/less popular anime like this. 7/10
Jun 28, 2013 10:08 PM

May 2011
I marathoned it as well but that didn't make me think less of the show or anything of the sort.

This show was a complete enjoyment for me. The way it told the story of every drink and bottle was brilliant. The sounds were very pleasing and the animation was superb. It wouldn't have hurt if they'd made it a little longer though.

8/10 I would've given it a 9 if it had more episodes.
ZhuyoJun 29, 2013 6:37 AM
Sep 23, 2013 9:23 PM

Jul 2013
Ryoza said:
I marathoned it as well but that didn't make me think less of the show or anything of the sort.

This show was a complete enjoyment for me. The way it told the story of every drink and bottle was brilliant. The sounds were very pleasing and the animation was superb. It wouldn't have hurt if they'd made it a little longer though.

8/10 I would've given it a 9 if it had more episodes.

You summed up my thoughts exactly. I'm going to buy this series for my brother for Xmas.
Oct 2, 2013 5:36 PM

Nov 2011
Dat Glass of the Gods. Honestly, I wish I could award this series more of a higher score but I wasn't too into the characters but rather the dialogues the majority of the time.

Great presentation though but felt lackluster at some occasions. 6/10.
Jan 10, 2014 12:39 PM

Aug 2013
Very unique and mature anime. Definitely won't be enjoyed by anyone who thinks FLCL is a masterpiece >.<

I'm going to have way too high expectations when I go to a bar for the first time now! :O

I was expecting a little more from the last episode really. It was still nice though. 9/10.
Jan 27, 2014 1:03 PM

Dec 2008
This was quite easy-going and relaxing to watch. And...to my surprise...also a bit moving at some points. I now look at Bartenders in a whole new light. I also have an incredibly impulsive urge to get blind, stinking drunk, pass out, and wake up the next morning and register at a Bartending school.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jun 6, 2014 10:35 AM

May 2012
Pretty decent ending I must say, this rather unique anime sure surprised me with its pretty relaxing atmosphere and interesting development each episode!

Definitely not the anime you watch each day! 7/10
Jul 16, 2014 8:14 PM

Apr 2007
This anime literally changed my life. An absolutely perfect series. Really shows how far the medium of anime can go if it's willing to be more than moeshit and action shounen. This is the peak of anime. 10/10, and I don't say that easily. Now I really wanna get into making fine drinks, worthy of being called the water of life!
Jul 28, 2014 6:25 PM

Aug 2013
DonPatch said:
This anime literally changed my life. An absolutely perfect series. Really shows how far the medium of anime can go if it's willing to be more than moeshit and action shounen. This is the peak of anime. 10/10, and I don't say that easily. Now I really wanna get into making fine drinks, worthy of being called the water of life!

Yeah I agree this show is truly unique in the slice of life genre. I don't know how it doesn't have at least over 8.00 rating.
Aug 25, 2014 4:22 PM

Aug 2008
loved it
Oct 4, 2014 11:42 PM

Jul 2012
None of the episodes struck out as anything above mediocre. The characters were so forgettable too. The music is nice though.
Jan 24, 2015 7:59 AM

Dec 2013
Pretty good ending, 6/10 for the series.
Feb 8, 2015 10:03 AM

Nov 2013
Quite classy and mellow, had decent visuals and the soundtrack was very charming. Unfortunately it suffered from having characters that weren't really... interesting I guess. I had forgotten the last character by the time the next was introduced, kinda sad. It didn't annoy me or anything though, just very relaxing. 6-7/10, unsure.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 19, 2015 1:00 AM

Apr 2013
7/10. Pretty good series. The first couple episodes and the last one weren't that great but the rest was. Loved that opening song.
Oct 24, 2015 8:39 AM

Apr 2009
Now it's time to drink. Overall I really enjoyed watching this. One episode per night while drinking my green tea. :)

7/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2015 3:03 PM
May 2015
Well, that was a fitting finale. I'm surprised 11 episodes was all it got, but then as an anime it probably wasn't too popular.

I had to search for the Bartender cocktail, it's a very rare recipe (which is apt for this show and its hero). Here it is:
http://cocktailmusings.blogspot.com/2010/04/bartender.html

Till we meet again, Ryu Sasakura.
Mar 30, 2016 12:44 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
That was a great iyashikei anime--calming, thoughtful, and even touching at times. I already knew I'd enjoy this (from reading the first few chapters of the manga), but this was better than what I expected. I loved the piano pieces that was pivotal in achieving the relaxing, sort of nostalgic, atmosphere the series had. While it's true that there pretty much wasn't any character development nor plot, I still found it to be really enjoyable because of the contents in each episode. There wasn't anything revolutionary in the messages, but it was done in a refreshing way, blending very well with the bartender premise. I loved seeing how Ryuu, as well as the other two teachers, chose the drinks for each of their customers. When they explained the history or the notable characteristics of the drinks, it was never directed at the customers, yet the customers understood and learned or were inspired from the thoughtfulness of the bartenders. I can see how it could be boring to some, but you most likely have to be in the mood for watching this. It would've been nice it was a bit longer, but I don't mind having to go read the source material for more. One day I'll find the time to finish the manga :)

As for this episode, I was surprised how they covered a lot of things, and not just the usual, one case per episode. But it was a good way to end the series, specifically talking about bartenders and bartending. I loved how the narrator was one of the customers in this episode...that was really cool, and something you could only do in anime.

Now if only there were bars were as relaxing as it seems in Eden Hall. Never been to one, but I don't suppose the same atmosphere can be found anywhere. There were a lot of cocktails shown in this series that I'd like to try though...even if I haven't drank much.

Will definitely remember this series.
Jul 12, 2016 1:30 PM

Aug 2010
Great anime! I learned a lot about cocktails ;D
Jan 26, 2017 2:30 PM

Feb 2013
The word boring describes this episode and this anime overall, it didn't have a single interesting moment.
1/10 obviously.
Mar 14, 2017 12:17 AM

May 2013

We could say it was...... AN ENCOUNTER.

XDDD Sorry, I had to lololol

7/10 for this series, methinks :P
Mar 15, 2017 8:30 PM

Jul 2016
At first, I didn't expect much from this anime but episode by episode I found it quite enjoyable. Some eps were more memorable than other but in the end, I'm glad I decided to give this anime a try.

Ps: The opening song is really catchy and the OST in a whole was beautiful!
Nov 2, 2017 4:17 PM

Oct 2015
I didn't know there was a drink called bartender goes to show how informative this anime was about alcohol. I loved how they romanticized Alcohol, with words like "menu of the heart" and "glass of the gods". This anime grew on me and made me appreciate Bars and Bartenders more, the alcohol knowledge was an added insight.
I got intoxicated with Ryuu's words as he passionately explained every drink and its significance.
I give it a drunk 8/10 for serving me a fine series.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 30, 2018 10:35 PM

Sep 2013
Holy Gawds....this was the most boring episode of the whole series. I dunno. Maybe if I were a drinker, I'd be more into it. But it had no plot and was excruciatingly slow.

3/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 17, 2018 9:10 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Basically dropping all this liquor knowledge in the last episode.

This series has a bad pacing problem, the entire art style along with the animation is dated, and I think this would do much better as a a half series not just for the pacing but for the core value of what the series is about. Also I know it never will but this is one of those few series that an English dub would've made sense and really worked.

This could have maybe been better if I drank at all but sadly I don't 4/10.
Nov 17, 2018 5:43 AM

Jul 2015
That was a good anime, I don't personally drink but I found the use of it quite fascinating.

Very solid atmosphere and consistenly enjoyable stories, 7.5/10 from my part.
Jan 29, 2019 5:26 PM

Nov 2016
Good anime overall, not something for everyday, but pretty enjoyable with the right mood.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 29, 2019 9:40 PM
Jan 2017
I dont drink but I personally Loved this anime. The anime fun facts remind me of my favorite game "Catherine". and the bartender is like the "black Butler"'s Sebastion of the Bartending world.
Jun 30, 2019 11:02 AM

Feb 2019
I loved this anime! I don't drink but I found the park about cocktails super interesting. I even ordered my first cocktail while I was on holiday and got so excited to see them made in real life! I would have loved a couple more episodes with the information about the alcohol spread out instead of it all being cramped into one episode! The Op, ed and the ots where amazing and I'll definitely find myself listing them again and again!
Over all I'm going to give it a 9/10!
Jul 17, 2020 3:27 PM

Jul 2016
So ends the journey of Bartender which us unfortunate. A pretty lax ending for me but overall I loved this series! 7/10.
Jul 23, 2020 12:52 PM

Jul 2008
Well I'm sorry to say that was a bad finale. No story about any of them, just in general fantasy bartender things.

Show gets a 6/10
Oct 16, 2020 6:25 AM

Jun 2019
7/10. Quite an odd show and the subject matter wasn't too interesting for the most part, but there were some gems (such as episode 3).

The side characters coming back to narrate every episode was very weird.

Dec 9, 2020 9:18 PM

Aug 2016
terrible ending. the same themes of the series repeated ad infinitum. couldn't even stand watching the whole episode. I watched this series cause I'm an alcoholic and I miss bars during this pandemic. the alcohol was cool but I gotta say every episode got progressively worse starting from the 5th episode. I could've taken a hint from the 4th wall narration that started in the last episode or two. should've just watched a documentary
Feb 19, 2021 9:39 AM

Jan 2021
Very good last episode. This anime probably isn't for people who like fast-paced. In the beginning, I was confused, but as the show progressed I got used to its storytelling mode and I started understanding it. I would recommend it to intellectuals. Overall really good anime and I'm gonna miss the OP :(
May 31, 2021 5:59 PM

Jan 2021
I just noticed that this is the finale episode. ╥﹏╥
9/10 this show has taught me a lot of things.
Jul 25, 2021 3:00 PM
Jan 2021
It's a very interesting anime
9/10 I would watch it a second time.
Aug 2, 2021 3:11 AM

Jul 2015
Story on different drinks which all ties into different aspects of life itself, very fitting as last ep.
At times bit boring with its focus on the liquor which I'm not too into, but overall enjoyable series giving off mellow vibes, radiating class and its interesting realistic stories.

Aug 22, 2021 4:58 PM

Aug 2011
This show made me really appreciate bartending as an artistic craft. I hope to one day visit a bar with this kind of quality bartender
desu desu binches
Nov 19, 2021 7:07 PM

Aug 2020
Water of Life. Let us all appreciate every Bartenders out there. Eden Hall is a comfort place where you can relax and forget all of your problems.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Nov 24, 2021 6:55 AM

Feb 2020
Last episode looked like a filler. But rest of episodes were almost masterpieces level. The depth, details ,direction, designs and message were all top notch. Only down side would be its episodic. Overall I loved it. Much more better than I expected it to be. Tbh I could actually go for more episodes if there were present (too short in my opinion).
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bartender Episode 6 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

30 by not_loryan »»
May 11, 8:38 PM

Poll: » Bartender Episode 10 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

36 by Ashhk »»
Apr 26, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Bartender Episode 9 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

33 by Ashhk »»
Apr 26, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Bartender Episode 8 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

32 by Ashhk »»
Apr 26, 2:48 AM

» Live action/anime

Tristax - Nov 17, 2014

2 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 26, 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.