Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 19, 2009 10:18 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really love his back story. I like really intense childhood backgrounds for characters.
Sep 23, 2009 7:50 PM

Feb 2009
Wow, you can definitely tell Anno directed this. Some scenes were quite reminiscent of scenes in Evangelion.

Best episode so far. Hopefully there will be more like it.
Oct 15, 2009 10:04 AM

Mar 2008
Wow. I didn't expect tears nor such depth. SUCH AN AMAZING EPISODE!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2010 8:21 AM

Nov 2008
Holy shit what an episode!
Perfect mix between comedy and seriousness!
Harima's background was very tragic, all the way this episode was able to keep its suspence by taking the point of view of Yukino (who was trying to guess why he changed his attitude toward her) and by showing few flashback of his past until the ultimate revelation.
And yet the joke were able to break the seriousness of the tragic scene. And the tragic sense in themselves were too surreal that they couldn't be taken too seriously.
This episode was quite bombaistic in soundtrack and graphics effects.

I also loved the parallelism between both story of Yukino and Harima.
Feb 1, 2010 1:58 PM

Jan 2010
StabWound said:

Best episode so far. Hopefully there will be more like it.

x2

Loved this episode, good comedy, good story and good romance.
Jun 1, 2010 11:30 AM

Feb 2008
Wow I'm really loving this series now! And I'm really digging the ED too.
Nov 22, 2010 3:40 PM

Jun 2009
I am starting to like this
Jul 24, 2011 2:09 AM

Aug 2010
I like the relationship they have so far they almost complement each other very well
Feb 9, 2012 12:33 AM

Sep 2011
Ahh such a cute episode! Lovin this Anime so far! ^^
Jun 16, 2012 3:32 PM

Nov 2011
Apr 21, 2013 12:24 AM

Jan 2013
I love this.
Big fan of episodes that focus on one on one character interactions.
Plus the romance, it's adorable
Apr 22, 2013 5:41 AM

May 2012
That ending was so sweet! Really liked this episode, especially laughed at the scene where the father came running down the hallway :p

Lovely episode, lets see what happens next!
Jul 26, 2014 5:27 PM

May 2014
How is the top student/model student afraid of his bloodline? In these modern times, I don't think kids should afraid of their bloodlines. I guess this really didn't cater to me.
Jun 26, 2015 5:56 PM

Jun 2015
This was a good episode.
Since the beginning she knew she was the cause of his strange behavior, it was no surprise when he reveals it.
I really liked when she approached him and punched him in the face, LoLd so hard. I really enjoyed this anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2015 4:25 PM

Nov 2011
That was a great punch. xD

That was a nice development of Arima's character. The contrast in families was a really good way to bring that about. I liked Yukino's decision to just be herself as well, even if it does lead to those (amusing) looks of horror from her classmates.

Also, coming off of Ef ~ Melodies, the presentation doesn't seem bombastic at all; it just seems... normal, which is a good thing.

Looking forward to more.
Jan 3, 2016 8:25 PM

Jan 2010

So far, Kare Kano has been amazing. I watched up to episode 8, but I decided to rewatch it since I felt I missed a lot in the previous episodes. I love the consistent style that lends to creative imagery representing how everyone's feeling. The monologing does feel a bit much, but I enjoy seeing how Yukino and Soichiro function as people. You really get the sense of them trying to understand themselves through each other. I think my favorite moment so far was when Yukino was trapped mentally, looping between "well he thinks that I think that he thinks that I think..." showing off just how insecure and self-conscious they are. Were there simpler, more consise ways to do this? Of course, but have gotten this dance of visuals and banter otherwise. It still astounds me that the visual style of Gainax could lend so well to a shoujo romance.
Jul 8, 2016 10:22 PM

May 2013
S'CUTEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Now he just needs to know it's not one-sided haha
Jul 18, 2016 11:53 AM

Aug 2015
Oh and that's Why Arima decided to Blackmail her in the beginning.
Anyway, that was pretty heavy at the end-
Arima saw her true nature and was afraid that he will revile his true nature and because of his true bad parents that might be a bad idea. But alas, Miyazaki tells him that family is where you recognize both sides of a man, the bad and the good.
Arima should start noticing how he affects other people and Miyazaki needs to learn things about herself.

Truly great so far. A bit heavy but great nonetheless.
Aug 19, 2016 11:51 PM

Oct 2012
Awww, yes! Please become a couple already! xD
"Signature removed"
Dec 26, 2016 1:43 PM

Jul 2016
This ep is more serious than the previous two.

It ended on a both heartwarming and funny scene, loved it.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Dec 28, 2016 5:24 PM

Jul 2015
I knew this was going to be slightly dark, but I was not expecting that so early on haha
Evangelion i c u
Feb 11, 2017 8:49 PM
Dec 2014
This episode really oozes Imaishi. Characters move in the characteristic Imaishi way. There are small tidbits where students are eating and have snot bubbles just like Mako from Kill La Kill.
May 5, 2017 8:53 AM

Nov 2012
Arima's backstory was really good.

First bit of drama in a long while that I watched in anime and felt genuine and realistic/believable.
Jun 16, 2017 8:59 AM

Apr 2017
this series seems to be super under rated on mal. at least so far
the visual gags are always super well drawn and presented. The characters so far have shown their personalities (true and their masks) and why they even wear the masks in the first place, as well as why wearing masks can limit you.

Aside from the meanings of the show (what i'm getting from it at least) , the bombastic art, dialogue and delivery really keeps the show enjoyable at all times, and I especially love the dad in a very homo way.

probs gonna binge this
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Mar 2, 2018 11:21 AM

Apr 2015
A romance anime where the characters have pretty much acknowledged their love for each other three episodes in? Amazing...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 18, 2018 3:38 PM

Feb 2013
Psychological shoujo = mind blown.

I'm liking this for exactly the same reason I liked Eva... the storytelling style. (same music composer too, so it's a little weird how much it reminds me of Eva in "feel")
Aug 31, 2018 2:42 PM

Apr 2015
Man. That was the type of heart-to-heart I desperately wanted to see in NGE. Soichiro and Yukino are very similar to Shinji and Asuka in the sense that they're like two sides of the same coin.

I'm still surprised so much information about the characters is being dumped on us early on. I would have expected such an intense backstory to be revealed later than episode 3. There's a lot more exposition in this show than I was anticipating, too.
Nov 6, 2018 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
I liked the monologuing, but the only part that felt far-fetched was how quick Arima was to also use the mask metaphor, just felt too much director commentary there. Either way, even with the clearly Eva influence, still great episode. Loved Yukimo's punch
Apr 22, 2019 6:45 AM

Aug 2016
Anno should stop making rebuilds and go back to romcoms
:v
Jun 24, 2019 6:42 PM

Jul 2016
Three great episodes so far. In one episode, it managed to give it's characters more development than most Anime I have seen. Arima was putting me off until I saw his backstory and sympathized with him.
Sep 15, 2019 3:15 PM

Aug 2017
Awwwww, this is so touching. And the soundtrack is amazing too, the ED is absolutely perfect
Oct 28, 2020 6:17 PM

Jan 2015
Amazing episode. It really reminded me of Evangelion.
May 29, 2021 12:16 AM

Jan 2021
I have mixed feelings about last episode. I can't decide where I stand on Arima. I guess as a woman I hate seeing guys manipulate girls, but at the same time, I have to acknowledge that Miyazawa manipulates those around her too, so it's not fair to revile Arima and let Miyazawa off scot-free. Anyway, this episode:
* "A maggot bastard trying to get close to our Princess? No way I'll let him." -- oh, Tou-san, you had me at 'maggot bastard'
* Is Arima sad and standoffish because he wants to have a warm, fun family like Miyazawa?
* "All I ever did was polish the surface and become a model student. I've never sincerely dealt with people…I've never spoken from the heart, I've never been an argument…because I've never taken off my mask" Aw this is kinda heartbreaking.
* Awww my little Arima is a SAD BOI
* YEAH YOU CONFRONT HIM GURL. I love how forthright Miyazawa is (with herself, her family, and Arima)
* Oh my gosh I THOUGHT his "parents" seemed a little old -- but his "DAD" just referred to himself as OJISAN so his real parents were the abusers that made him sad?
* Wait so is this whole rainy leitmotif for the episode supposed to represent his tears? That seems kinda like…I dunno, basic.
* Oh hey it seems I read the happy family / unhappy family dichotomy correctly.
* SHIT HE STILL LOVES HER WE BACK TO COOKIN WITH GAS
Man, episode 3 and we're already hitting some of the heavy topics. Abusive parents, fake personalities created as a coping mechanism, the trouble with having to be vulnerable in front of others -- I thought this was gonna a light-hearted comedy. I mean, I guess parts of it are. But it's much less surface-level that I thought it would be. In a good way. I think.
We've already circled back to the second round of confessions? In time for episode 4? So much is happening! I hope the next 22 episodes aren't filler.
CalmTeaTimeJul 9, 2023 3:46 PM
Aug 18, 2021 11:11 PM

Feb 2019
Starting to love this anime. The comedy and story were excellent!

The first part was hilarious, while the rest of the episode was quite emotional. Ah, Yukino just accept him already~
Jun 23, 2022 9:14 AM

Feb 2021
Man, three episodes with so much going on...I'm not sure how much better this can get. Really interesting how Arima basically used the "relationship" because something in particular caught his attention so he continued until he realized it was his own self deception
Apr 11, 2023 7:38 AM

Jun 2021
Sdeng... Right in the face. It's no problem Yukino, most people really seem to like you also for being this clumsy. He was acting too cold and in fact the reveal arrived immediately. The Miyazawas are still funny. This is really NGE if it was a romcom. Even if I'm asking if she will really put down her act this soon.
Apr 15, 2023 10:19 PM
Jul 2021
dopamina y serotonina digitalizada, durante la mayora parte del capitulo sentia una tristeza en mi pecho pára alfinal explotar de emocion me encanto
Jun 24, 2023 8:54 PM
Feb 2021
This is moving extremely fast, I hope it can keep the pace up for some more interesting developments down the line.
Apr 3, 12:13 PM
Dec 2017
a bit weird but still great

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Oct 21, 2008

69 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 11:18 AM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

LoganJones - Apr 13, 2019

2 by GreatAide »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DonKangolJones - Sep 5, 2009

52 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 19, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.