Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 8, 2014 12:15 AM

Dec 2012
egoplant said:
*knocks down* hey get out of my way, stupid kid!

No offence, but things like this just don't happen in real life. The whole series has moments like this that are just unrealistically sad, which makes them take you out.

Yeah I could understand Lucy being mistreated back when she was in the orphanage, but I thought it was a bit silly how they're trying to make it where everyone is out to get her. The women gossiping about her was really off as well.

@ Episode - Lucy at the zoo was cute, showing some tsundere towards Kohta there. But wowow, she's gone full out yandere at the festival. It's conflicting to see her kill civilians like the family in the house, because although it's disturbing it's not like I can hate her because of that, considering her warped view of humanity and how natural killing feels to her. I'm not going to lie though, I might smile a bit if Yuka dies....or maybe more than a bit.
Feb 3, 2014 4:43 AM

Oct 2013
Tinky-Winky said:
eh... she even kills those who are merely enjoying themselves >.>

she gone crazy brah
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 19, 2014 9:27 AM
Dec 2013
JusticeSoulTuna said:
I get it, she hated humans and he shouldn't have lied, but was it ok for her to do so cause of lying, which anyone can do? I dunno, it felt more like a hatred of everything than a hatred of human beings. So what, kill everyone cause people do bad things >_>

I get the reasoning behind it, but I in no way believe it's fine to kill innocent people all because of her horrible past. You could cop it down to her just not understanding the difference between good and bad people due to nothing but bad in her life, but there's a huge difference between people killing your dog and someone telling a stupid (and kinda random) white lie. I mean, was Kohta a bad person or didn't care about Lucy just cause he lied about Yuka? Was their whole day for nothing because he didn't want her to know that he had another friend that was a girl? The lie was stupid yes, but it shouldn't be: "this nice guy lied to me, and my life's f'd up so let's kill random people."

I felt bad for Lucy as well for the most part, but I can't feel fully this was fully justified at all. Some had said this was like the last straw for her, but for me that speaks more of a person with a disturbed life that goes crazy, less of a tragic character than I can feel bad for. Even people with the worst of experiences learn to understand the difference between good and bad people, not that everyone's bad and deserves to die, that to me is too skewed. Cause I love good villians, and I love caring about a character's past and reasoning behind why they kill or whatever, but more often than not the reasoning is so damn silly I'm afraid to say =/ Fair enough to anyone who appreciated Lucy and her story but i feel like this was one of the parts of Elfen Lied that left a bad taste in my mouth

Ofc it not okay for her to go kill random ppl, i doubt you will see a single person saying that here, however most ppl can understand why she did it, because she had a miserable life her whole life up to that point, and becasue she never really met anyone that truely cared about her and showed her love, she had come to a (wrong but again understandable for a girl her age) conclusion that all humans are evil, and when kohta then goes and lie to her it just the last straw that tips her over, and for her another (again false but you know) proof that no humans are good, and she goes all crazy (though she obviously was already to some degree prior as she had killed ppl just to move into their house)
Mar 12, 2014 2:35 PM

Jan 2014
Lilium <3 I liked them humming the melody.

Surprisingly for myself I seem to understand
things going on in Nyucy's mind, though most
of the things she did are undoubtedly cruel
even considering what she had to go through.

This episode's unveiled a lot,
though not everything. :3
Looking forward to watching the next one.
Apr 14, 2014 7:04 AM

Oct 2013
I wish Lucy would die.
Aug 18, 2014 1:03 AM

Sep 2013
I hate Lucy even more now.

It is heavily hinted that Lucy killed Kohta's sister and father. Im hoping Im wrong.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 18, 2014 1:05 AM

Sep 2013
Qatami said:
I wish Lucy would die.
I bet she will in the final episode.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 30, 2014 6:22 PM

Oct 2013
D'AWWWWWWWWW young Lucy and Kohta were kawaii as fuck, then the end of the flashback rolls around and makes everything all gruesome and exciting again.

You can't defend Lucy killing random people; anybody here knows you don't get by with that in real life. Lucy is an anime version of a messed up kid who goes on a school shooting pretty much - kid gets bullied, goes crazy, kills people. Nobody thinks it's okay for school shootings to happen, nor do they believe the perpetrator had a good reason to do so, no matter what happened to him. Lucy's purpose in the anime isn't to make you build sympathy for her; it's to show the drastic consequences of what can happen to someone who's prejudiced against or harshly mistreated.

That said, I do have sympathy for Lucy and feel bad for her, the same way I have sympathy for the offenders of these crimes that happen in real life. But having sympathy for them doesn't excuse, condone, or defend them.

On the other hand, you can't say Lucy's reactions in this episode were unrealistic, because, as I said, these events do, sadly, happen in real life. Just not with the fancy vectors and other shit to make it more interesting 'cause it's anime.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 3, 2014 5:34 AM

Jan 2013
Good story. Lucy's reasoning is perfectly orchestrated.
Nov 22, 2014 3:14 AM

Jul 2014
Sure, Lucy had a bad previous experience, but to go crazy(for it to be a trigger) because Kohta was with another girl, ahhh, they could incorporate something else. And I hate stupid love triangles, this is such a let down. Fall of a such good series, *sigh*. So much potential lost *sigh*.
Dec 16, 2014 12:23 PM

Aug 2014
Such an adorable episode. I love young Lucy, she is really cute, is just like any other girl at that age. ..Apart from the psychopathic side of her.. Anyway, This one was my favourite episode so far, really enjoyed it, yeah, even the ending part. Even though I didn't read the manga, it looks pretty obvious that Lucy has something to do with Kohta's past.
Feb 26, 2015 3:44 PM

Feb 2015
Yeah, Lucy decided to go full on crazy then...

This episode didn't get me like Lucy any more than I previously did. On the contrary. She was killing families even before that crazy Lucy took over. And to turn into psychotic killer just cause Kohta told her a little lie. Nope, no sympathy here.

And the good damn love triangle. I feared for this to happen. Why Lucy, why?

I really hope Nana will be all right after round two with a meeting with Lucy.
"Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny.. I would've put a 'Haha' at the end of it."

Apr 30, 2015 1:47 PM

Sep 2014
That's a terrible past...
Jun 12, 2015 9:34 PM

Jun 2014
lol Yuka is his cousin dats nasty
Jun 23, 2015 1:53 PM

Apr 2013
I hope Lucy somehow ends up being the nice girl she should be :/
Jul 7, 2015 4:57 AM

May 2015
That was a long flashback. But I'm still not certain about the connection between Nana being born in the laboratory and then having met Kohta back when she was a child... it's like some important link is missing in all of this.
Oct 3, 2015 7:31 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
sad bg story :/

Dec 10, 2015 7:03 PM

Nov 2015
Zadion said:
D'AWWWWWWWWW young Lucy and Kohta were kawaii as fuck, then the end of the flashback rolls around and makes everything all gruesome and exciting again.

You can't defend Lucy killing random people; anybody here knows you don't get by with that in real life. Lucy is an anime version of a messed up kid who goes on a school shooting pretty much - kid gets bullied, goes crazy, kills people. Nobody thinks it's okay for school shootings to happen, nor do they believe the perpetrator had a good reason to do so, no matter what happened to him. Lucy's purpose in the anime isn't to make you build sympathy for her; it's to show the drastic consequences of what can happen to someone who's prejudiced against or harshly mistreated.

That said, I do have sympathy for Lucy and feel bad for her, the same way I have sympathy for the offenders of these crimes that happen in real life. But having sympathy for them doesn't excuse, condone, or defend them.

On the other hand, you can't say Lucy's reactions in this episode were unrealistic, because, as I said, these events do, sadly, happen in real life. Just not with the fancy vectors and other shit to make it more interesting 'cause it's anime.

Well said, I agree
Jan 19, 2016 7:59 PM

Feb 2014
Yay they had a lot of fun at the zoo! The splash fight was funny. "Haha, got you!" *shoves into water as retaliation* xD Although it was pretty disturbing when Lucy started strangling Kohta o.o And then he was just like: "Yo what's gotten into you? You surprised me there! Silly girl!" Which was a pretty mild reaction imo.

That person talking in Lucy's head is creepy o.o And it's really weird how Lucy's just like: "I need somewhere to stay tonight...I'll just kill a family and use their home!" Tf??? And the festival incident was pretty scary.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2016 6:30 PM

Jul 2014
Now they started having naked children. Goddamn it.

I don't know what it is with these shows, but the backstories serve to make the characters even more unlikable.

2/5
Feb 7, 2016 11:13 PM

Dec 2015
Scribbly said:
Possibly the best episode so far... the trip to the zoo was unbearably cute, especially considering what came next :O Amazingness all round, only 4 episodes left.

Hate the ED. So out of place. I'm just gonna listen to the OP again instead :)

Lol I love the ED. I think it's probably one of my favorites I've seen so far.
Mar 5, 2016 3:41 AM
Oct 2012
Can't believe how well written and done were this two episodes, especially this one, it's like it's another series. Why didn't they make all this episodes this quality.

Anyway, of course Lucy is beyond defending for her actions, but her psyche and emotional were already fragile till than, she wasn't really betrayed by Kohta anyway, but her mind become so paranoic after that girl tolled those bullies about the dog, that even the slightest thing felt like the whole world betraying her.

I'm familiar with that mind set myself, although I developed skills to work it out and reach a rational conclusion, but than again, I never went through something like Lucy did.

As for the "killer instinct" as far as I figure it out, it's something that exist in every Diclonius as a survival instinct, but they can choose to fight against it, like Nana probably did, but most of them just accept it.So, the ultimate choice is with the individual even if there's a predisposition to killing with this race.

10/10 no doubt
Apr 25, 2016 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
Tinky-Winky said:
eh... she even kills those who are merely enjoying themselves >.>

She's kinda gone batshit crazy, y'know? She hates all humans because of how she's been treated her whole life.
I'm not saying it's right, but still, it's understandable why she acted the way she did.

egoplant said:
*knocks down* hey get out of my way, stupid kid!

No offence, but things like this just don't happen in real life. The whole series has moments like this that are just unrealistically sad, which makes them take you out.

Wasn't the dude drunk or something?

HiImAnAlien said:
As for the "killer instinct" as far as I figure it out, it's something that exist in every Diclonius as a survival instinct, but they can choose to fight against it, like Nana probably did, but most of them just accept it.So, the ultimate choice is with the individual even if there's a predisposition to killing with this race.

Amazing theory, I've never thought about it that way. Unless this series ends negatively, I think that this series has a "fighting against your instincts and following your heart" kind of theme going on here. I hope this series has at least a bittersweet ending, but I'd prefer a happy ending myself. Nevertheless, as long as I feel it is done well and has meaning to it, even if the ending is depressing it has the potential to be good.

Ratohnhaketon said:
Lucy at the zoo was cute, showing some tsundere towards Kohta there. But wowow, she's gone full out yandere at the festival. It's conflicting to see her kill civilians like the family in the house, because although it's disturbing it's not like I can hate her because of that, considering her warped view of humanity and how natural killing feels to her. I'm not going to lie though, I might smile a bit if Yuka dies....or maybe more than a bit.

Killing does not equal yandere though. A yandere has scarily obsessive tendencies towards her lover, as well as showing no mercy to anyone who dares to get close to her property man. So far, Lucy doesn't have these traits.
She's more of a mentally-broken tsundere than anything.
removed-userApr 25, 2016 8:34 PM
May 25, 2016 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
Can't really blame her for breaking when she keeps running into the worst kinds of people. Don't yell at her if she's lying on the floor in the middle of the festival, help her.
Aug 29, 2016 10:35 AM

Mar 2016
After seeing this episode i just want kill people xD

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Dec 12, 2016 1:30 PM

Jun 2016
na na naaaa na naa , this theme..
Dec 12, 2016 4:06 PM

May 2014
Wow this anime is awesome! I'm am hooked I can't wait to see how this ends. This will easily get a 9 for me and if it's a good ending it would be a 10.
Jan 3, 2017 3:18 PM
Jun 2016
I mean what kind of people are they... They see a little girl on the ground. And the dude who bumped into her..? A little silly how they made everyone hate Lucy for some reason. Couldn't help but want to reach through the screen and help her, but eh.. she might cut off my head too then. O_o

This is some dark stuff.

Raising the quality for me though.. I'm definitely raising my score for this, just because how it's affecting me emotionally.
Feb 4, 2017 9:41 AM
Jun 2016

What is this interior design? So unique!
Mar 3, 2018 12:49 AM
Dec 2017
WTF? what is the problem ? is this make any sense ? that idiot girl end up killing everyone.. but when we met Kouta he didn't killed ! OK , cool . maybe Lucy liked him because Kouta kind to Her.. but can anyone explain me she killed everyone like she don't care .. she act like professional killer.. but if she is pro in killing why she stop kill Kouta.. ok maybe she liked that's why she couldn't do it... but still it not feel right.. i don't think it was that much good...

and please someone tell why every episode that some how show us neck girl.. almost look like Hentai anime.. because of that i couldn't watch in front of my family ///\\\ fuck that.....
Sep 21, 2018 2:39 PM
Jan 2018
I don't get it. Why were Lucy and Kouta mumbling the same tune that's used as this anime's opening?
Feb 27, 2019 5:43 PM
Apr 2016
Not gonna lie, pretty nerv wrecking episode... Lucy's & Kouta's story, as kids, it's unfortunate that Kouta forgot everything about those days... Lucy snapped at the end. Good episode.
May 23, 2019 10:47 PM

Jul 2016
And so, the bad writing continues...
May 6, 2020 5:22 PM

Mar 2020
should've killed that annoying ass cousin instead
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
May 12, 2020 11:07 AM
Feb 2016
Lucy killing all those innocent people made her irredeemable to me.
May 30, 2020 4:54 PM

Dec 2018
Hmm... I wonder the reason why Kohta LIED to Lucy, I guess he wants to keep both girl for himself, lol.

I just realized that nobody called her Lucy in her childhood, I guess Lucy is the name given by that facility.

Well it seems they're reserving the dark past of Kohta for later episode.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Sep 22, 2020 2:01 AM
Aug 2020
MY GOD Lucy is merciless :O
Nov 15, 2020 12:05 AM

Jan 2016
how can anyone justify her at this point lmao, she definitely should be killed, the only good Diclonius is Nana
Feb 3, 2021 11:02 AM

Jan 2020
honestly i have to give this anime credit.

this has to be one of the few anime that actually wanted me to watch more.
it's just so addicting, yet disgusting and bloody at the same time.
even with all the things gone wrong with this anime...

still on lucy's side though ~

3099Feb 3, 2021 11:30 AM
Mar 17, 2021 7:04 AM

Feb 2019
Lmao the writing, Kohta doesn't question why she chokes him and goes on like it's normal

She's gonna kill everybody isn't she
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Mar 18, 2021 12:11 PM
Jul 2014
@Athzewe I think her behavior was just so unusual Kouta wasn't sure how to react. She was in a trance and tripping balls, so we don't know what she looked like from an outside view. He could have thought she was having a seizure or just doing some weird role playing. She then directly says, "If I can't stop myself from killing people, I want you to kill me". Kouta likely just thought she had mental health issues and didn't take her statement or action seriously.
Mar 18, 2021 12:41 PM
Jul 2014
As melodramatic as it is, I LOVE this episode. We see just how far Lucy has detached herself from Humanity. She's willing to murder people just to stay in their homes because she's trying to convince herself that everyone is awful deserves whatever they get. However, the moment she's actually shown kindness and compassion, her worldview comes crashing down. Now she's deeply conflicted and feels so much guilt that she starts hallucinating and losing her grip on reality. Getting some Crime and Punishment vibes. Although that nightmare scene where the mutilated bodies of all her victims come back and taunt her is like animu Richard the 3rd. That was awesome.

Lucy's relationship with Kouta here is honestly pretty interesting. It's like the Swedish vampire movie "Let the Right One In" only I actually like this young couple a lot better. They're very fun to watch together. The zoo date is the first time we see Lucy as she would have turned out under normal circumstances. This is her true self. It further emphasizes the tragedy that she descended into becoming the twisted murderer we're familiar with in the previous 8 episodes.
Mar 18, 2021 12:50 PM

Apr 2020
Not sure why this Thread is actually alive after all those years.

But 1/5, I hated it. Not only this Episode, but the entire Anime.

But this was actually before I thought the manga was better and tried to read him. So I had to realize, the Anime was ACTUALLY better than the Manga, who was close to be a disgusting softporn full of.. what do I call it.. naked child and piss. Yes, actually piss. If you are interested to know what I mean and didn't read the manga, just write me.
Mar 21, 2021 1:05 PM
Jul 2014
@TeamAlex The thread is active because Elfen Lied is an old, cult series with a small but passionate following and some new people who want to see the weirdness that made it a cult series. I understand why you hate the series, but why are you here? There are tons of cult classic anime that I don't personally think are that amazing, but I don't go over to the Armored Trooper Votoms threads just to say, "Hey, why are you guys talking about this old ass giant robot shit?! I didn't like it all that much, so nobody is allowed to like it!"
Mar 21, 2021 10:00 PM

Apr 2020
literaturenerd said:
@TeamAlex The thread is active because Elfen Lied is an old, cult series with a small but passionate following and some new people who want to see the weirdness that made it a cult series. I understand why you hate the series, but why are you here? There are tons of cult classic anime that I don't personally think are that amazing, but I don't go over to the Armored Trooper Votoms threads just to say, "Hey, why are you guys talking about this old ass giant robot shit?! I didn't like it all that much, so nobody is allowed to like it!"

Why not actually? It took me around 60 Seconds to write this Comment and I wanted to share my thought about this. There is no real Plot behind it.

I would never count Elfenlied as one of the "Cult Classics" since even the Manga is still to young for it. Cult Classics are below 2000. Elfenlied Anime ist still on the ground of this generation.

Well I am not sure if you read the Manga or watched only the Anime. But if you read the manga like I did, you would understand why I have to comment in the first place, to save people of reading this. It killed of my braincells, while I watched naked girls, girls peeing on each other and a mental 8 year old girl kissing an adult which almost had an orgasm. <- Yes that's my suffering after reading the manga.
Mar 21, 2021 10:20 PM
Jul 2014
I don't disagree about the manga. It's complete garbage. At 17 years old, this isn't a new series anymore. Of course, different people have different cut off points. Some people would say Outlaw Star from the 90s is old enough to be a cult classic, while others reserve that for underappreciated anime from the 80s and 70s.
Sep 19, 2021 6:24 PM

Mar 2021
so the flashback is over and lucy got ntr'd

the story is so trash i love it
Dec 21, 2021 6:30 AM

Jul 2021
Lucy's childhood was very painful, they always treated her badly and irritated her for having horns.
It was possible to see in this episode the great importance that Kouta had for her when she was younger.
asdasdsadad
Jul 24, 2022 4:35 AM

Jul 2021
This series has a good rewatch potential. Might rewatch this sometime in the future.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 10, 2023 6:22 PM

Dec 2022
Credit to the writer(s) for making you actually sympathise with a mass-murderer. I shouldn't like Lucy, but I do, having seen her past experiences. Despite her killing innocent people for no reason, I feel nothing but sadness for her. I have no idea how this will end, but I'm loving the ride.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

430 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
May 10, 7:04 PM

» How is this still rated 7.5?

Dirittoprocedura - Apr 29

25 by Phloup »»
Apr 29, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.