Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2009 4:55 PM

Jan 2009
I like FMA2. For people who say the pacing is too rushed, the begining parts aren't really so important to spend more than one episode on, so I think the pacing is fine.

And 100 eps? That's a lotI didn't think I would be that long, did the firstseries really stray that far from the manga? And is Tucker really dead? He was alive in the first one. Wait, don't tell me I want to find out.
Apr 26, 2009 5:01 PM

Apr 2009
Good episode, i think the pacing is fine considering they're just catching up with the first series, but i think Nina and Alexander needed more screen time so we could get more attached to them and make it more emotional like in the first series, but it was good nonetheless.
Apr 26, 2009 5:20 PM

Jul 2008
I knew Shou was messed up when they first showed his pic!!
Poor nina :(
sad episode, but good and dark !
Apr 26, 2009 5:23 PM

Apr 2009
What can I say, I absolutely loved it. I didn't think the Nina would affect me that much this time around, but when she went up to Al and started repeating "asobu", I just started bawling. I thought they handled it really, really well, and that shot of Tucker and Nina-chimera lying in a pool of blood was beautiful and haunting.

As for those who say the pace is too fast, you need to keep in mind that this was only one chapter in the manga. The first series just stretched the story out considerably. Thus far, I think the pacing is just about perfect. Can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 26, 2009 5:30 PM

Apr 2009
I will always hate Tucker for what he had done to his own daughter. This adaption of Nina's fate hit me a lot more than the first. Even though I was expecting it to happen, I think it was well played out. Ah and now enter Scar...

Apr 26, 2009 5:34 PM

Jan 2008
is it just gonna be exactly like the first season o.0 what's the point of that o.0..

still love it though~
Apr 26, 2009 5:48 PM

Apr 2009
amade0 said:
is it just gonna be exactly like the first season o.0 what's the point of that o.0..

still love it though~

No its not, the first season breaks away from the original manga story right around where Al is kidnapped and runs a different path because FMA1 ran close to the original release of the manga, meaning that they didn't have much content to go by. SO... obviously now that FMA2 is following the manga closer there will be similarities between the first two series for a little bit.

Apr 26, 2009 5:48 PM

Oct 2008
amade0 said:

still love it though~

No. No where close. I think I, myself, have explained this several times. They will be drastically different.

I thought it was a good ep. 5/5
Apr 26, 2009 5:50 PM

Aug 2007
Nice episode. I almost couldn't tell the difference.
Apr 26, 2009 6:29 PM

Aug 2008
Having not seen the original series, and only reading up to next week's episode in the manga: this week's episode was dead on to what I had read in the manga. Honestly, the pacing was perfect. Everything that happened and was said in the manga, basically happened in this episode. Except for Al's really awesome line to Tucker, I was waiting for it.
Apr 26, 2009 6:47 PM

Jan 2008
Omegaoveride said:
amade0 said:

still love it though~

No its not, the first season breaks away from the original manga story right around where Al is kidnapped and runs a different path because FMA1 ran close to the original release of the manga, meaning that they didn't have much content to go by. SO... obviously now that FMA2 is following the manga closer there will be similarities between the first two series for a little bit.

[/quote

ahh ok, thanks for letting me know ^^ *should really read the manga ><;;*
Apr 26, 2009 6:51 PM

Apr 2008
At least Tucker won't be back in this version...
Apr 26, 2009 7:18 PM
Dec 2007
Left a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. I still enjoyed the first Fullmetal series better, even though this is following closer to the manga.
Apr 26, 2009 7:19 PM

Aug 2008
I thought that they would jump or would censor this episode! They did correctly.
Very good!
Apr 26, 2009 7:33 PM

Feb 2008
ironchefflip said:

I liked the way this was done, albeit I'm still depressed from sadness by it.
If you felt depressed/sad after watching this version I don't think we need to worry about pacing anymore :)
I was kind of worried people might need more time with Nina and her dad in order to get the full impact. Thanks for the answer.
Apr 26, 2009 7:36 PM

Apr 2008
I would need more Nina time to be depressed, but that's because I have seen the original.
Apr 26, 2009 7:46 PM
Sep 2008
loved it, was realy wel done IMO,
looking foward to more scar
Apr 26, 2009 8:04 PM

Aug 2008
IMO the pacing of this episode was better then ep 1 and 3... Although there is still the noticeable problem of when scenes change...
Apr 26, 2009 8:25 PM

Jul 2008
well that general didn't last as long as he did in the other series, and neither did tucker, though can't say i'm unhappy about that, i feel really sorry for nina and alexander, but scar is going to work on his private crusade
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 26, 2009 8:30 PM
Oct 2007
Probably the first episode I really, really liked so far. I'm happy to know Tucker won't be showing his face again. Scar's introduction was pretty awesome. Now, as long as they do everything regarding Hughes right, I'll like this season just as much as the first one.

Nina and Alexander =(
Apr 26, 2009 8:33 PM

Aug 2008
Am I the only one who liked Tucker in the first FMA? He was the most interesting character to me.
Apr 26, 2009 8:45 PM

Apr 2008
noteDhero said:
Am I the only one who liked Tucker in the first FMA? He was the most interesting character to me.

I really liked Tucker in the first FMA. Going off the whole Nazi parallel idea that FMA the anime had, Tucker was such the Doctor Mengele. It was cool to see how twisted he really was and his ideas for experiments. This won't have that and loses kind of that feeling and flair having him killed off like that
Apr 26, 2009 8:54 PM
Jan 2009
Probably one of the saddest episodes in the series. Still like it tho.
Apr 26, 2009 8:57 PM

Dec 2008
I loved this episode :D. In comparision to the last 3 episodes, the pacing was much better. Really people? Some of you actually thought that the pacing is still bad? I thought it was much better, they slowed it down just a smidge so people can actually sit back and enjoy but not slow enough to make you go >snoooore<.

I have to admit that I didn't bawl out my eyes like the FMA1. Either it was because there was more Nina & Alexander scenes last time, or that I was younger and more emotional XD....even so, this time around I did tear up and it was still really sad. They did a very good job at getting to the point but still providing enough screentime for the viewer to connect with the characters

Specific things that I like include: the part when Nina is on Al's shoulder and they are just bouncing around, I LOVED Al's laughter..it's so adorable <3; the music when Ed was outside playing with Nina and Alexander; the ending when Tucker died and Nina nudged his lifeless hand, calling out his name and crying :(...

Iahel said:
I really doubt Bones will make it a long-runner like NaruBlePiece. they hadn't produced anything bigger than 51 ep ever.
this thing is the most puzzling issue with this new FMA, cause I don't know what to wait. they really won't be able to put a whole story (even if manga will end soon) onto 50 episodes, but making it a long-time airing series is highly improbable thing. -_-"
Hey~ what about that saying: "Anything is possible!" I wouldn't mind having the series to be 100+ episodes long, I mean as long as they follow the manga and not put pointless fillers in :P

noteDhero said:
Really? Hmmmm~ I can't seem to remember much of Tucker from FMA1...I think the only thing I remember was that he was arrested..? and put into a truck XD. I really liked Tucker this time around, not because he's a likable character...but like, he is much more pitiful this time around imho. Maybe that's why I didn't bawl my eyes out for Nina because he was really pitiful and felt a bit empathetic towards him. His death actually made me a bit sad...along with Nina's T_T..
robbydesuApr 26, 2009 9:01 PM
Apr 26, 2009 9:01 PM

Aug 2008
martin03345 said:

I really liked Tucker in the first FMA. Going off the whole Nazi parallel idea that FMA the anime had, Tucker was such the Doctor Mengele. It was cool to see how twisted he really was and his ideas for experiments. This won't have that and loses kind of that feeling and flair having him killed off like that

Totally agree. It was one of those greater parallels that I loved to make in the show. I don't want to say the show is loosing it's depth since it's very clear to me now just how different the manga and the first FMA were, but if Brotherhood really is just doing the manga straightforward as far as presentation goes, it may be too light for me, and ultimately not have a lot of what I did appreciate.

So now, I'm just going to look at this as though I'm not aware of previous FMA universes.

edit: In after robby...Shou showed up later having furthered his chimera experiment on not only himself, but prisoners using the fake philosoper's material, if I remember correctly.
Apr 26, 2009 9:03 PM

Oct 2008
great so far. however, i was hoping for more time w/ this. it kind of seems like a lot of material is being put into each episode. i would have wanted to have seen more of tucker and nina first. but still, the way ed took to tucker was pretty badass.
Apr 26, 2009 9:51 PM

Feb 2009
This is the best episode so far. The pacing for the first time felt right. I didn't like this arc in the first FMA (too much Nina air time, She was kind of annoying to me) but this episode was kind of better. Still wish that the whole quality of the show was as good as the first one. I'm looking forward to better episodes.
kokuroApr 26, 2009 9:56 PM

Apr 26, 2009 10:12 PM
Apr 2009
This episode was one of my favorites in the original & I like just as much or more this time around.
It was well paced & I look forward to the next episode.
Apr 26, 2009 10:23 PM

Jan 2009
Whoa, what a change of plot so sudendly, but seriously, that Mr. Tucker is fucked up in the head, he even transmuted his daughter and wife for the title.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 26, 2009 10:32 PM

Sep 2008
it was so sad even the second time!!! :( gah it was something i wanted but didn't want to see again if people get what i mean. Brilliant episode though. Can't really say much else except that i can't wait to see more.
Apr 26, 2009 10:37 PM

Jul 2008
So let's recap;

Episode 6 in FMA1 is one of my favorites. The reason for this is that YOU NEVER SEE IT COMING. Besides one or two glimpses of Tucker's anxiety for the test, there's none of the discussion of how poor he was, and how much he wants to avoid it as in Episode 4 of FMA2.

Also, more of the episode is devoted to creating a very happy, breezy, idyllic feeling. It's just ridiculously sweet, and Ed and Al playing with Nina and the dog feels very natural and free.

Here, it just feels way more predictable, and the atmosphere foreshadows what's going to happen. It doesn't have nearly the same shock value. If I hadn't seen FMA1, I would have liked this episode. But knowing what they did the first time around, and seeing how inferior this is just makes me shake my head.

It also brings up another problem with the series; what's the point for the audience that has seen the original in seeing the same thing when they already know what's going to happen?
Apr 26, 2009 11:55 PM

Mar 2008
Liberal said:
Only complaint was the lack of badass Al's line to Tucker, but oh well.
AH!! I almost forgot that... they should have showed it! D:

Ninaaa~ TT^TT Tucker that bastard I still remember when I read the happenings of this episode from the manga... I was shocked and depressed. =_= Not this time though because I was mentally prepared. Best episode so far I got to say!
Apr 26, 2009 11:57 PM

Apr 2009
Not as sad as the original FMA when this happened; maybe coz it was rushed, lol.

Still, not a bad episode~
Apr 27, 2009 12:47 AM

Oct 2008
Fai said:
chaostrik3r said:
agree the pacing felt way off.

lol? How much should they have covered? Half of chapter? two pages?

Well, now I feel that noobs who loved the craptastic fillers of fma1 will complain about pacing forever.

Fai that's just not very nice calling people who can't help but get annoyed about knowing each and every new step that's going to happen in a series a noob.

However, I must say that I actually enjoyed this episode. It's hard to believe it myself. This episode was able to capture the most important parts of the original episode 6 pertaining to Nina and Father Tucker. The comedic elements didn't hurt this episode like the 'small' jokes in the past three either. Scar didn't seem to be as effective in this episode, but I'm hopeful now since others have stated that they are just trying to recap the first series so they can move onto a new story arc. I'm beginning to think that comparing the two is pointless. It does still feel a bit rushed if you are comparing it to FMA1 but I'm starting to look at this series in a different perspective.

I think I liked this episode because the director was finally able to incorporate the feelings of the first series to his advantage and use them to remake a sad episode even more tragic. I'm hoping that the next episodes are going to use a similar formula. I guess they have been all along, but this was the first ep. so far that worked for me. I do still feel though that ShaolinRibiero makes some interesting points but this episode has given me a little more perspective into the direction that Yasuhiro Irie is attempting to go in.
Orion1Apr 27, 2009 1:00 AM
Apr 27, 2009 12:54 AM

Oct 2007
A bit annoying to rewatch the same stuff.

The episode was harder to watch this time, since i knew her dad is such a scumbag.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2009 12:55 AM

Jul 2007
I enjoyed this episode, glad their breezing through the old material, i prefer the original anime.

Cant wait for the new manga material, for those complaining about to much of a fast pace, they should slow down once they get on to the story.
Apr 27, 2009 1:07 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was a heavy episode. Using his own daughter and wife like that. ;__;

This will be great if they continue showing episodes with such kinds of impacts.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 27, 2009 1:14 AM

Jan 2009
ShaolinRibiero said:
So let's recap;

Episode 6 in FMA1 is one of my favorites. The reason for this is that YOU NEVER SEE IT COMING. Besides one or two glimpses of Tucker's anxiety for the test, there's none of the discussion of how poor he was, and how much he wants to avoid it as in Episode 4 of FMA2.

Also, more of the episode is devoted to creating a very happy, breezy, idyllic feeling. It's just ridiculously sweet, and Ed and Al playing with Nina and the dog feels very natural and free.

Here, it just feels way more predictable, and the atmosphere foreshadows what's going to happen. It doesn't have nearly the same shock value. If I hadn't seen FMA1, I would have liked this episode. But knowing what they did the first time around, and seeing how inferior this is just makes me shake my head.

It also brings up another problem with the series; what's the point for the audience that has seen the original in seeing the same thing when they already know what's going to happen?

Well the point of this new FMA is to follow the manga's plot seeing as the first one didn't, so after a few more episodes the plot should diverge and really take off. And that is also the point why they are speeding everything up, for those who already saw the original.

Hope the next episode has some nice fighting between Ed and scar.
Apr 27, 2009 2:19 AM

Aug 2007
I liked the episode. Everything seems to be getting better. The music that played in the library while Alexander pounced Ed was great and had me thinking that the original series OST might still get a run for it's money. The pacing was a little off but completely understood. The original series takes so much time to develop the characters.

If this is your 1st time into FMA you might not care as much about Nina and Alexander, but my fiance watched it and this is her 1st trip into FMA and she nearly cried so I think they're still doing a good job. The comedic points could be better done, though the bits with Alexander and Ed were awesome. Shou still came off as creepy.

Scar was always one of my favorite characters in FMA. I hope they do him more justice. And I was a little disappointed in how they portray how he kills in this series. I expected a little more of an explosion, call me weird but i think it would have worked to give him more of a ferocity if his victims heads popped. And i'm not too into violence, i just think it would be better for the character. But i can see why they would do it like that.

With this episode i'm not looking forward to Hughes T_T I'm just hoping the animation gets a little better, and i know it will.The fights/ action seems well animated. I look forward to Greed fights. I loved the shot with Ed and Shou in the glasses on the floor.
Apr 27, 2009 4:13 AM

Aug 2007
I wasn't looking forward to watch this episode, as it was about the transmutating of Nina and Alexander and it's just to sad. At least one of the most painful scenes is done, now there's still Hughes... Luckily Scar let her die in peace. =(

I like the tempo this is going. Way better than the original, in which everything went like... slow.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Apr 27, 2009 4:23 AM
Jul 2008
One of the sad ending episodes. Good thing they skipped the mining episode, I didn't like that episode to much. Sucked for Nina again, one for losing her mom, two turning into a human experiment just so that Tucker can keep his state alchemist title, and then being killed by Scar. Thank you Ed for punching him a few good times. And Scar makes his appearance.
Apr 27, 2009 4:36 AM

Dec 2008
You know, since I see in like every other post, complaints about either pacing or clearly biased opinons how the anime is not as good as FMA1...I have a few complaints myself.

First of all, what is with this odd complaint about how the animation is bad? I mean, I'm not saying that the animation is godly, but it really looks like the animation is getting better o__o;;

Second, I think people really needs to stop referring to FMA1 as the "original" anime. What do you mean by that? Technically FMA:B >IS< the "original" anime since it's following the manga.

I mean, you can either be using that as a way to just differentiate the two animes.....but it really sounds like a derogative term you use for something you think is "better". If the latter is the case, then what is the whole point of watching if you come into watching FMA:B with such a set black and white way of thinking? You'll just come into watching this anime, looking for the faults rather than it's strengths.

noteDhero said:
edit: In after robby...Shou showed up later having furthered his chimera experiment on not only himself, but prisoners using the fake philosoper's material, if I remember correctly.
I literally sat here and thought about it (because my memory is just that bad XD) and I DO have some memory of that! Wow, I can't believe I forgot that...when I think back now..that seemed a bit pointless maybe that's why I can't remember? I mean I think it played up on the whole atrocities of war...? (correct me if I'm wrong) but other than that, when I watched that part I think I kinda went, "Oh wow, that's so sad..he just went insane."

The more I think about it, the more the death of Tucker in FMA:B made more sense to me. I think in a sad way, his immediate death sort of redeemed himself a bit more.

Maros128 said:
Scar was always one of my favorite characters in FMA. I hope they do him more justice. And I was a little disappointed in how they portray how he kills in this series. I expected a little more of an explosion, call me weird but i think it would have worked to give him more of a ferocity if his victims heads popped. And i'm not too into violence, i just think it would be better for the character. But i can see why they would do it like that.

With this episode i'm not looking forward to Hughes T_T I'm just hoping the animation gets a little better, and i know it will.The fights/ action seems well animated. I look forward to Greed fights. I loved the shot with Ed and Shou in the glasses on the floor.
Actually, Scar felt much "tougher" this time around, I don't know how...maybe it's his voice, how he looks or the animation...but that's what I thought. And I was really surprised. In FMA1, I just kinda felt annoyed by him but at the same time I felt sorry for him. His introduction this time seemed more...believable? I don't even know how I can explain it XD All I know is that my "first" impression of him this time is slightly differently than from FMA1 (a good impression nonetheless!)

Orion1 said:

I think I liked this episode because the director was finally able to incorporate the feelings of the first series to his advantage and use them to remake a sad episode even more tragic. I'm hoping that the next episodes are going to use a similar formula. I guess they have been all along, but this was the first ep. so far that worked for me. I do still feel though that ShaolinRibiero makes some interesting points but this episode has given me a little more perspective into the direction that Yasuhiro Irie is attempting to go in.
What you said in the spoiler tag, I completely agree with! I also think that the fact that it was caught off guard was what made it so sad.

It's actually really hard for some of us to judge upon whether or not this anime is truly good or not especially if you watched the FMA1 before. Most of us are so biased from FMA1 that sometimes we just miss certain details and forget to watch FMA:B as an anime in itself.
Apr 27, 2009 5:16 AM

Sep 2008
robbydesu said:

It's actually really hard for some of us to judge upon whether or not this anime is truly good or not especially if you watched the FMA1 before. Most of us are so biased from FMA1 that sometimes we just miss certain details and forget to watch FMA:B as an anime in itself.

this is very true, and though stuff like this episode didn't suprise me like last time i still think the whole thing is brilliantly done. It's really unfair to judge the quality of this show in comparison to the other series. People should really judge it on how well done it is as a series rarther than a comparison.
Apr 27, 2009 8:29 AM

Apr 2009
Ed shoud've killed Tucker. I mean, what kind of bastard would fuse his wife and daughter just to keep a job? :|
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
Apr 27, 2009 8:39 AM

Jan 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:
So let's recap;

Actually this sums up some of my feelings for this episode really well.

I did like some parts of this episode, but overall I felt it could have been paced into 2 episodes instead of 1. It's exactly as you said....there wasn't really the time to get to know the characters and fall into the trap of 'They're such nice people'. The amount of foreshadowing done in this episode kind of ruined that shock value in my opinion. If anyone was seeing this for the first time, I'm sure they would have suspected Tucker right from the start.

Still..I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm pretty excited to see the new material, so I know why they're going at a fast pace. I'm just a little sad that this could have been done better as it was one of my favourite arcs from the first series.
Apr 27, 2009 8:43 AM

Jul 2007
MistressMorbid said:

Still..I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm pretty excited to see the new material, so I know why they're going at a fast pace. I'm just a little sad that this could have been done better as it was one of my favourite arcs from the first series.

One chapter(with anime original additions) per episode now counts as "fast pace"...

yet another one -.-

Apr 27, 2009 8:52 AM

Jan 2008
Fai said:
MistressMorbid said:

One chapter(with anime original additions) per episode now counts as "fast pace"...

yet another one -.-

Well, no...don't get me wrong. I know a lot of people have been complaining about a fast pace, but I haven't seen that at all. I realize that the first series had a lot of fillers and stretched some arcs longer than they originally were.

This is the first time that I've felt that 2 episodes would benefit this arc (for reasons stated above). I think the current pacing is just fine, but in my opinion Nina didn't get as much screentime as required to build more of a 'relationship' with her, if you know what I mean. Especially when considering first-time watchers. I just thought it was more dramatic in the first series. :)
Apr 27, 2009 9:54 AM

Apr 2009
Obviously it was a bit too short ^^. Though I'm still touched by what happened to Nina. 5/5, love this episode.
Apr 27, 2009 10:08 AM

Mar 2009
Ah ! This episode is incredibly good but also terrible ! ^^
I mean... Shou Tucker is one of the biggest bastard of the anime ! I can't bear it ! Scar is coming and I'm looking forward to his next battles in episode 5.
By the way, Basque Gran had quite a ridiculous role... Ok, he's not so important, but he didn't deserve a lot of airing time.
I was also happy to see all the team of Roy and this stupid Yoki =D

But Nina... Nina... Argh... A bit less horrible than in the first anime I think, but still...
Apr 27, 2009 10:56 AM
Oct 2008
MistressMorbid said:
Fai said:
MistressMorbid said:

yet another one -.-

Well, no...don't get me wrong. I know a lot of people have been complaining about a fast pace, but I haven't seen that at all. I realize that the first series had a lot of fillers and stretched some arcs longer than they originally were.

This is the first time that I've felt that 2 episodes would benefit this arc (for reasons stated above). I think the current pacing is just fine, but in my opinion Nina didn't get as much screentime as required to build more of a 'relationship' with her, if you know what I mean. Especially when considering first-time watchers. I just thought it was more dramatic in the first series. :)

They really can't afford to slow down any more than one chapter per episode, considering just how many chapters they need to cover. In the larger perspective, the characters of the Tucker arc aren't as significant as the story elements that are introduced.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

344 by CaviarSandwiches »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

971 by Angel_crush1 »»
May 14, 5:05 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Aug 9, 2009

359 by _Abdullah_ »»
May 14, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 27, 2010

376 by wretuo »»
May 12, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 5, 2009

620 by guikenshin »»
May 11, 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.