Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Are they comparable?
Feb 3, 2014 5:57 PM

Nov 2013
Well I was thinking, since they have the same creator and all, are they comparable? NOT IN HOW GOOD THE TWO SHOWS ARE, I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE GONNA TAKE IT THIS WAY, but content and stuff. Such as I found that episode 4 is comparable to the mushroom episode of cowboy bebop. but this show kinda lacks seriousness while that was Cowboy Bebop's main focus.

so what do you guys think?
Feb 3, 2014 5:58 PM
Apr 2013
No.
Feb 3, 2014 6:25 PM

Sep 2011
the closest thing i can think of is basically, space dandy is what would happen if cowboy andy from bebop stared in that episode where the moldy food came to life then made that into a 13 episode series

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 6, 2014 7:27 PM

Jun 2012
Space Dandy is the edgy failed abortion of Space Adventure Cobra and Cowboy Bebop. Sure his bones are a bit contorted and he probably wont last that long but he's still got that ever so pretentious spark of mass pandering in him.
Feb 7, 2014 1:01 PM
Oct 2011
Absolutely. Both are incredibly episodic, both have killer jazz-influenced soundtracks, and both are about bounty huunters in space that form a ragtag crew on their adventures.

SO yes, Space Dandy can easily be called similar to Cowboy Bebop. They have a different tone for sure, but the rest is very similar.
Feb 7, 2014 4:51 PM

Feb 2012
I haven't fully caught up to the series, but no I don't think you can compare the two. The characters in Space Dandy are a complete joke compared to Cowboy Bebop. Cowboy Bebop had amazing characters while the ones in Space Dandy I could have come up with in like 5 minutes of sitting down and thinking about. Space Dandy isn't a terrible series, but it isn't anywhere near Cowboy Bebop is.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Feb 7, 2014 9:31 PM

Mar 2013
As someone mentioned earlier, Space Dandy is following a episodic route as of opposed to going from A to B.

Right now, Space Dandy isn't even remotely close to being compared to Cowboy Bebop.
Feb 8, 2014 4:05 PM

Nov 2013
jotaromako said:
As someone mentioned earlier, Space Dandy is following a episodic route as of opposed to going from A to B.

Right now, Space Dandy isn't even remotely close to being compared to Cowboy Bebop.

cowboy bebop did the same thing for the most part
Feb 8, 2014 6:40 PM

Aug 2010
It depends on how you look at it. It kinda is comparable, in terms of direction.

Episode 1 ended with the alternate ending, in the same way that the refrigerator episode ended. "everyone died. The end"

There was a well animated martial arts fight set to jazz.

26 episodic episodes make the show seem endless.

And then the show is also the complete opposite, at least in terms of humor and theme.
Feb 8, 2014 8:39 PM

Jun 2013
As of right now ... no. But Cowboy Bebop was kinda episodic at first and got really good at the end too. Maybe Space Dandy will follow the same flow.
My signature is lame...
Feb 8, 2014 8:55 PM

Nov 2013
I don't see why Space Dandy has to be criticized so much for miniscule details, yeah it's not original, yeah you might not like it and yeah it might not be as good as Bebop, but it's easily comparable to Bebop; just look at the opening for example.

Also, the main characters are similar, it's about bounty hunters, it takes place in space and it's created by the same person.

It's a great show so far, not everything you watch is going to be perfect. It seems like these days, no matter how good something is, if it's been done before it's instantly shit. I wonder when shows like Space Dandy will receive the praise they deserve on this site because SD definitely deserves it.
Feb 8, 2014 9:06 PM

Feb 2008
Space Dandy isn't trying to be something it's not. If you take it too seriously, you won't enjoy it. I personally love Cowboy Bebop and obviously Space Dandy (which I also love) has a similar premise since they're both done by the same guy. So yes, I think it's comparable in the sense that they're both episodic.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Feb 9, 2014 7:13 AM

Sep 2011
Wind_Sr said:
I haven't fully caught up to the series, but no I don't think you can compare the two. The characters in Space Dandy are a complete joke compared to Cowboy Bebop. Cowboy Bebop had amazing characters while the ones in Space Dandy I could have come up with in like 5 minutes of sitting down and thinking about. Space Dandy isn't a terrible series, but it isn't anywhere near Cowboy Bebop is.
just saying the character complaint sounds really unfounded, bebop spike was really bland up until episode 5, before ep 5 he was just generic badass guy that gets annoyed easilly and wasnt until later he became the more dynamic character he was same for faye going from generic tsundere to what she becomes and toa certain extent same for spike

with space dandy being a comedy they obviously wont be as deep as bebop's cast since they arent trying to be the same series at all but you cant really complain about characters being so shallow without actually giving the show a chance to show them to you, for example ep 5 of dandy shows a entirely different character than the comedy episodes before it.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 10, 2014 3:00 AM
May 2013
The general vibe of Space Dandy reminds me more of Futurama than Cowboy Bebop. I suppose I would say that it's kinda like a cross between the two, leaning slightly more toward Futurama.
Feb 10, 2014 10:40 AM

Jun 2013
Go watch episode 22 of cowboy bebop,"Cowboy Funk". Now compare Andy and Dandy. (even the names are similar :p ) So, I'm guessing someone thought it was a good idea to give Andy his own show lol. And, yes they are comparable if you compare space dandy to that episode and episode 17, ''mushroom samba''.
Bang~

-You're gonna carry that weight.
Feb 10, 2014 12:41 PM

Nov 2013
Genocide_Angel said:
Go watch episode 22 of cowboy bebop,"Cowboy Funk". Now compare Andy and Dandy. (even the names are similar :p ) So, I'm guessing someone thought it was a good idea to give Andy his own show lol. And, yes they are comparable if you compare space dandy to that episode and episode 17, ''mushroom samba''.

wait this is so true
Feb 20, 2014 9:08 PM

Jul 2009
ayuxx said:
The general vibe of Space Dandy reminds me more of Futurama than Cowboy Bebop. I suppose I would say that it's kinda like a cross between the two, leaning slightly more toward Futurama.
Somewhat agree with this viewpoint. Well, aside from the trend for modern Futurama to be more parody than original content like they used to be. Also, Space Dandy has none of the seriousness found in the occasional Futurama.

Anyway, the series is incomparable to Cowboy Bebop, not the least due to the difference in genre. There is a space vibe, and I guess both MCs are manly men (albeit in different ways), and they also use woolongs. But there's nothing thematically or tonally similar.

Edit: If you come back to Space Dandy after watching one or two underwhelming episodes of another series, it seems much better than the initial impression you get, which I think speaks to its deliciousness.
Py687Feb 20, 2014 11:05 PM
Feb 21, 2014 9:20 AM
Jan 2008
In a nutshell Cowboy Bebop is like Original Star Wars trilogy and Space Dandy is like the prequel trilogy.

I just gave up the series.
Mar 2, 2014 11:19 AM

Jan 2012
CrisisArm said:
The closest is comes is the end of episode 2. The vibe and emotion at the end there very much captured Cowboy Bebop, but other than that, it's pure comedy.
This.
Mar 2, 2014 6:49 PM

Mar 2012
Not really.
Mar 2, 2014 6:51 PM

Nov 2012
The only comparison I can give for is that the music fits so damn well with the scene presented, and help builds the atmosphere of it, which is expected of Watanabe.
Mar 4, 2014 3:10 PM

Sep 2011
Liebert said:
CrisisArm said:
The closest is comes is the end of episode 2. The vibe and emotion at the end there very much captured Cowboy Bebop, but other than that, it's pure comedy.
This.
id disagree, episode 2 felt very its own thing, episode 5 felt way more like a bebop episode

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Mar 5, 2014 11:28 PM
Oct 2013
I believe the worst thing about this show is that people would always compare it to Bebop even they know this is an insane comedy. Just because it has space in its name doesn't mean it is trying to imitate Bebop, they're going completely different ways, despite there may be references and tributes to Bebop. Both are good shows and you don't always have to compare.
Mar 28, 2014 1:10 PM

Feb 2012
PetitFours said:
I believe the worst thing about this show is that people would always compare it to Bebop even they know this is an insane comedy. Just because it has space in its name doesn't mean it is trying to imitate Bebop, they're going completely different ways, despite there may be references and tributes to Bebop. Both are good shows and you don't always have to compare.

The only real similarity is the episodic format. They're similar in the respect that how YOU see the character is built on an accumulation of experiences rather than a continuous plot. This means you will have to make assumptions in the same way that we make assumptions everyday with people we know. We don't follow them around all day, we only know what we see.

However, the obvious difference is that so far how we see these characters doesn't play a huge factor just yet. In Cowboy bebop, the past catches up to the crew (I think Jet is the only exception. Other than his episode with his old girlfriend, he's mostly on the sidelines of the drama, which is actually a large part of his character himself, but that's another story), whereas Space Dandy's crew stays relatively unphased by each week's adventures. Perhaps this is what makes people a little critical of the show, but the way I see it, logistically none of the episodes are connected because of the "parallel universe" theory, and the fact that I am satisfied with what we already have: well written jokes, good use of external influences, and overall great execution. It reminds me of early Spongebob episodes. Seriously, nobody complained about "character development" for Spongebob, why complain about Space Dandy?
Nov 13, 2017 1:19 PM
Dec 2014
I would say Space Cobra sound like bebop
Apr 26, 2018 11:34 AM

Jun 2017
it is a parody of Cowboy Bebop(by the same creator,no less!)but it also parodies other stuff too. the ones i caught are code geass,he-man,and earthworm jim.
Sep 11, 2021 1:39 AM

May 2020
I liked this way more than Cowboy Bepop.

As for comparisons, while they do share the same settings, they are wildly different shows, intended for different experiences. Do not go into this expecting it to be anything like Cowboy Bepop.
Nov 25, 2021 6:25 AM
Jul 2018
the stories are similar on paper but the way the portray it is nothing a like
Jan 7, 2022 2:11 PM
Apr 2020
If you are taking about quality, it is on the same level as Bebop. The vibe is completely different tho

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2014

150 by crotaku15 »»
Apr 25, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2014

189 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 27, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2014

95 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 26, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2014

94 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 26, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

omega_d94 - Mar 8, 2014

138 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 26, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.