Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2014 4:08 PM

Sep 2007
Loved the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei reference!

Jan 11, 2014 4:09 PM

Sep 2013
It was good.
Jan 11, 2014 4:12 PM

Nov 2008
Kana is just amazing at everything she does. Love!
Jan 11, 2014 4:14 PM
Jan 2008
I just realised that Hanazawa Kana just looks a lot like her character Onodera. Especially the scene where Onodera puts a band-aid on Raku's face and he was thinking how close her face is.
Jan 11, 2014 4:16 PM

Sep 2007
Also, Kana and Shaft = Nadeko!

This will take some time getting used to ...

Jan 11, 2014 4:18 PM

Jul 2010
Been reading Nisekoi manga pretty much from when it started.I still can't stand Onodera a bit, even if shes animated and is being voiced by freaking KanaHana.I seriously hate this kind of character, like trying to say one sentence for hour...but oh well i couldnt care less about her.
Hmm, Chitoge's voice is kind of cute and it suits her, me likes.

Cant wait to see
Jan 11, 2014 4:20 PM
Dec 2013
omg the manga is a bit dry atm no development but i still love it the anime did a great job but we need the see the FUNNY EXPRESSIONS because some of the faces they do in the manga have me dying of laughter :D
Jan 11, 2014 4:23 PM

Mar 2012
thedryness said:
not sure how i feel about this show yet.

nisekoi was a really weird choice for a shaft adaption, unlike bake/madoka/szs, its a pretty straightforward run of the mill harem anime (if it follows its source material). i don't see much genre deconstruction/subversion going on or really any novel or postmodern storytelling devices. so the super stylized and impressionistic art (albeit toned down here) seems a little out of place so far. in monogatari for example it makes more sense because the stylized and surreal art is a deliberate reflection of an unreliable narrator telling a "story" (its even the damn title of the series). the whole shtick for the art direction in monogatari is that the story is being visually presented in the hyperbolic and overly dramatic way araragi (and later others) tells it, and not the way it literally happened (his normal human sister kicks him and sends him flying THROUGH an overpass demolishing it). its also part modern-fantasy so the surreal art fits better in that sense.

watching the first episode of nisekoi though it almost feels like i'm mixing two contrary flavors like mint and orange. both are good on their own but they mix in a really weird way. i'm not sure how this rom-com harem anime benefits from the psychedelic art treatment yet. maybe it'll turn out interesting. i can't say i have a lot of confidence in the source material. at the very least i guess it'll be interesting to look at.
Your post makes a lot of sense -- and I agree with the first paragraph -- but the second paragraph doesn't quite resonate with me. The reason being that I wouldn't assign any value to the source material in and of itself. Instead of seeing the source material as an "orange," I think it's more like "cheap Chinese takeout." An after dinner "mint" can only improve things, even it doesn't better the meal itself.

/7deep8you
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 11, 2014 4:40 PM

May 2013
The wait is finally over.
Hilarious first episode, loving the bits where the 2 gangs are fighting each other and Raku doesn't even bother.
Chitoge is a pretty and funny character c:
Loved the intro, showing Raku and that girl who I assume is either Chitoge or Onodera because Onodera had a key and Raku recognised that scent from Chitoge.
Jan 11, 2014 5:06 PM

Dec 2011
wow, Nisekoi really got Shafted. xD

Nice first episode, but damn, I just want to see best girl I mean Marika soon <3
Jan 11, 2014 5:08 PM
Jul 2013
I'm a fan of the manga and I'm very glad when I heard that this is going to have an anime series. Good job Shaft for the Good Animation, Art and OST. (Y)

I've no complain on the VA they're doing a great job. (Y)

Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 11, 2014 5:08 PM

Jan 2009
I didn't really like it very much. I adore the manga, and actually enjoy what its like now, it's full of cliche's but it's done in a way that makes it really fun to read. Nisekoi is more interesting to me when it deviates away from the plot, which I know is why alot of people are tired of the manga atm.

I guess I'm just worried that what I found charming about Nisekoi is going to be overshadowed by it being "SHAFTED." It was almost distracting in a way. The timing of the humor and the way the characters were presented were a bit flat to me. It was just made up for by SHAFT's production values.

Although honestly, this tone might be better for an anime. So I can see why people would enjoy it as well. Regardless, I'm looking forward to see how they handle the rest!
Jan 11, 2014 5:11 PM

Feb 2011
Shaft saving anime again. I loved it , will probably end up in my favorites this season.
Jan 11, 2014 5:15 PM

Mar 2013
More or less how I expected it to turn out, but sadly it's going to be one of those animes that isn't finished at all at the end of season 1, the manga isn't finished yet after all...
Jan 11, 2014 5:20 PM

Aug 2011
SHAFT exceeded my expectations. Love the art direction. IMO, it felt Monogatari-ish without going too overboard. Gotta love those headtilts!

Can't wait until Best Girl Tsugumi appears.

ClariS sure knows how to make addicting opening themes. Already have "CLICK" in my head.
Jan 11, 2014 5:33 PM
Oct 2013
OMG this anime its like dream come true ( been waiting and hoping this anime for years )
Even the manga itself doesnt make any progrresion nowdays( . But its still fun to read

As for the anime 9/10
(the glitering effect remind me of baka test )
Jan 11, 2014 5:33 PM
Jun 2011
Looking pretty good so far, can't wait for more SHAFTing.
Jan 11, 2014 5:38 PM

Dec 2013
brrr said:
Instead of seeing the source material as an "orange," I think it's more like "cheap Chinese takeout." An after dinner "mint" can only improve things, even it doesn't better the meal itself.

i dunno... sticking with the metaphor, the mint certainly doesnt justify the takeout. and the takeout didn't do the mint any favors. i'd rather just have better takeout and not get a mint, or just eat the mint by itself. i think its possible to make a decent show out of nisekoi. there have been rom-com harem anime that weren't terrible (NouCome for example was pretty hilarious even if it was pretty lowbrow and had little emotional depth) but i'm not certain shaft's art-mind-fuckery is what was needed. it certainly doesnt hurt to look at, but neither does it compliment what the show is at its core.

it kinda feels bittersweet when the art doesn't reflect the content, like i wish the plot of the show would match the art in emotional depth, but given how faithful it seems to be to the manga i don't expect it to. whereas if the art never gave me such expectations in the first place i might be more satisfied to just watch for the situational comedy.
Jan 11, 2014 5:51 PM

Oct 2013
Nice first episode, now my question is will this be a 2 cour (26 eps.)

Also liked how they shaded out the other 2 girls.
Jan 11, 2014 6:02 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
DGemu said:
LMFAO Shaft.
Using those camera angles and dark shades for Nisekoi when the actual content is nothing like it.

That's my biggest problem with this adaptation so far. The tone is really different. But still, it was enjoyable, I like the stylistic choices of the backgrounds most of the time (but not all the time like the random sparkles...). I'm not a fan of the head tilts or head turns either, I had a problem with them in Madoka, and I don't think it works well in Nisekoi. Despite some of my complaints, I would say that this style probably makes Nisekoi more interesting for people who aren't familiar with it to watch as an anime rather than a conventional approach to adapting a romcom/harem story. To me, Nisekoi has always been a fun and light read, nothing too special, though it has its moments. Shaft makes it seem more interesting than it actually is, which is good for the source material I guess.

Anyways, loved Uchiyama Kouki's work on Raku. This is the first time I've heard him use this type of voice, and it's great! Hopefully he can get more roles where he can utilize this tone of voice.
tingyJan 11, 2014 6:05 PM
Jan 11, 2014 6:03 PM

Dec 2007
The only thing I have to say is that this might have Nisekoi plot, but it sure as hell is NOT nisekoi.

The vibe I got from Nisekoi was that of the old, classic harem romcoms, before the genre became equivalent of mindless tits+panchira. That was one of the reasons why I like the manga - it gives me that nostalgic feeling I had when I was reading Love Hina or Pretty Face.

This... this is not Nisekoi. It has the same characters and the same plot (so far), but it is NOT Nisekoi.

And honestly, I don't see how people can say anything about this being "original" or "interesting art". This is pretty much every single Shaft anime - Madoka, Monogatari, NatsuAra, Negima, ZetsuSen. You name it. If you think this is original, then you obviously haven't watched any other Shaft adaptations, or at least you haven't been paying attention. I think Shaft either can't do other styles or doesn't know that not every anime works with a certain style. This one sure as hell doesn't.

Dropped.

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jan 11, 2014 6:06 PM

Dec 2013
that moment when watching a comedy anime makes you think its a horror one
good job, SHAFT, good job
Jan 11, 2014 6:16 PM

Dec 2012
This was awkward in a lot of places. The style doesn't seem to fit, I also don't like the voice actors especially Hanezewa Kana.

I can't believe how generic and cliche the plot and characters are though. I remember dropping the manga in the first 10 pages. I will try to watch the next episode but I will probably drop it, I can't see myself going through this. It's just awful in a lot of ways.
Jan 11, 2014 6:18 PM

Oct 2013
And how many chlichees did you guys count?

Well, I dropped the manga around chapter 50-60, but guess I'll keep watching because it's kind of interesting to see how Shaft adapted it with their signature-style. Also, the voice cast is bretty gud, specially Raku's voice fits really well.
Jan 11, 2014 6:30 PM
Dec 2013
Good episode , dont know what everyone means by Shafted haha but im a anime-only person i guess :/
I liked this ep :)
Jan 11, 2014 6:36 PM

Jul 2010
Oh god, I'm gonna enjoy it, definitely.
I have a weakness for Yakuza settings.
Jan 11, 2014 6:39 PM
Jan 2014
Damn good shaft is great cant wait next episode ... love this episode
Jan 11, 2014 6:40 PM

Sep 2009
At first I was expecting some kind of terrible animation like every other harem anime that ever existed. Then Shaft happened. This anime is surprisingly refreshing compared to the manga, which I've kept up with since the start. In terms of viewing experience, shaft definitely adds a new twist to the contemporary adaption- so much that I couldn't believe it was nisekoi at first. Definitely watching this.
Jan 11, 2014 6:41 PM

Aug 2012
Amazing. They did a good job on adapting the manga so far. Been looking forward to this.
Jan 11, 2014 6:42 PM

Aug 2013
What a great start! #teamNadeko #teamOnodera yay!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 11, 2014 6:43 PM

Dec 2013
ScazoN said:
Good episode , dont know what everyone means by Shafted haha but im a anime-only person i guess :/

SHAFT is the studio that produced it. they're famous (or infamous depending on who you ask) for their heavily stylized and unconventional art direction in their other hit anime (sayonara zetsubou sensei, bakemonogatari, Puella Magi Madoka Magica). it's generally a love it or hate it sort of thing.
Jan 11, 2014 6:50 PM

Jul 2013
BakaGekai said:
Also, Kana and Shaft = Nadeko!

This will take some time getting used to ...

I KNEW IT! OMG NADEKO... *shudders*

OT: the probably only reason why i am watching this is because that the studio shaft is animating it :P
i first didnt bother with it (already read the manga, it get dragged out alot), but when i noticed that shaft will animate it, i'm in. (YES, i am slowly turning into a SHAFT fanboy)
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jan 11, 2014 6:55 PM

Feb 2012
Okay, I think this is one of my top new animes of this season which I'll be anticipating every week. I like these types of genre and the feel while watching it.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jan 11, 2014 6:59 PM

Aug 2013
Onodera + Kana = The only reason i watched this anime.

It's a bit weird seeing pinkish color on Chitoge's hair, but meh it's not a big deal
Jan 11, 2014 7:09 PM

Mar 2012
Recognized a few familiar voices. Like shaft's style as usual.

This was decent, nothing amazing.
Jan 11, 2014 7:15 PM
Dec 2008
that was a great start
onodera so cuteeeee
Jan 11, 2014 7:18 PM

Jan 2010
I know this will sound strange but ... the course of the anime is totally different from the manga, at least its atmosphere, unable to feel the atmosphere of Nisekoi seems to another universe. Expected more ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Jan 11, 2014 7:29 PM

Nov 2009
The animation reminded me of Monogatari.

The girl from the past can't be Chitoge, because the girl had a dark-colored hair (unless Chitoge dyed her hair). And it's strongly hinted that it might be Onodera.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2014 7:30 PM

Apr 2013
Why does Shaft have to waste their time on generic crap like this? Did J.C. Staff pass on this or something? It's just another, "This girl I don't get along with at all is going to pretend to be my girlfriend, but I'm really in love with my childhood friend!" story. Ah, well. Even when Shaft does shows with crappy stories, they still end up very watchable.
Jan 11, 2014 7:50 PM

Jun 2013
I've been waiting for this show! Now it's here and it's good!!

I guess it's Kana Hanazawa's time; she's like in every show this winter. Not complaining, I like her voice :)

*Happy mode activated*
Jan 11, 2014 7:53 PM

Sep 2011
So much hype for this cause its shonen jump series. Honest opinion on this ep ''its ok'', the last bit at the end kinda good & interesting(very shaft) but most of the ep have unfunny jokes. Let see where the story goes from here.

*I hate tsundere. That blonde girl need to tone down her persona for a bit before she get rly annoying for me.
Jan 11, 2014 8:10 PM
Jan 2011
This and witchcraft works are probably the ones I'm going to watch. Since I'm interested in the mystery. A lot of the new animes for 2014 have been pretty awful.
Jan 11, 2014 8:16 PM
Aug 2013
Leio said:
The animation reminded me of Monogatari.

That's what first came to my mind when watching this.

Honestly, this episode was great. The animation was extremely good and the characters were great as well. Really looking forward to this
Jan 11, 2014 8:40 PM

Jan 2011
Hell yeah been waiting for this. The manga has legendary facial expressions, so lets hope the anime does it justice.
Jan 11, 2014 8:45 PM

Jul 2012
Nope. Did not like. SHAFT should never have been given Nisekoi. Someone like J.C. Staff or KyoAni would have done a much better job. Nisekoi is almost unrecognisable, and the bright, pastel colour scheme is hideous. Too much unnecessary SHAFT weirdness just doesn't fit and completely changed the tone from the manga. The music didn't do it for me either, and voice acting was only ok. Very disappointing.
Jan 11, 2014 8:47 PM

Jan 2011
Akanezora said:

I have a weakness for Yakuza settings.

this isn't an Yakuza setting their kinda just a gag routine
Jan 11, 2014 8:47 PM

Sep 2011
it had a few laughs, not sure if i will get into the romance since i really dislike harems especially in a case like this where its obviously from ep 1 that chitoge will win but it could still be entertaining

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 11, 2014 8:49 PM

Jun 2011
it was interesting *A*
Jan 11, 2014 9:01 PM

May 2012
A girl running late to school saying "chikoku chikoku!" while eating bread. Arranged marriage. These are some of the elements needed for a cliche anime :))) But surprisingly, it has a twist. It's more wild and hyper. I liked it.
Jan 11, 2014 9:03 PM

Aug 2012
That anime style though, interesting series.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

484 by jasutin_hoshi »»
Jan 1, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2014

237 by Term4738 »»
Dec 23, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 17, 2014

286 by nanajp »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 10, 2014

264 by nanajp »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:39 PM

Poll: » Nisekoi Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

180 by nanajp »»
Dec 9, 2023 2:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.