Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 2, 2014 10:26 AM

Nov 2013
mangamuscle said:
pkKodama said:
Well I'll call this just my opinion but the classmates look better than Celia(though she is indeed pretty). But the drawing used for Kagari look so different from the other girls in the same anime that it looks weird. Her face looks dumb.

We will have to agree that it is just your personal opinion.

And she could be skinny, cute and cool, that's how anime heroines usually are.

That is the whole point, Kagari is NOT your usual heroine. That is the reason I facepalm every time someone writes this series is cliche -_-

BTW, cute and cool is very hard to find in any given heroine, it is like being hot and cold at the same time. The only one I can think ATM is Ai Hoshimiya from Moretsu Pirates http://imgur.com/F7PS4Mw.jpg

And you don't need to be big to be strong, that's a misconception, when you train martial arts always aiming to become faster and stronger, your muscles become more rigid, not bigger.

You can have strength without having ostentatious volume, but you can't be really strong without volume (you wont see many south-east asians winning medals in weightlifting at the olympics). That is the point, Kagari is really strong, not your average "oh, so you exercise, you surprised me" kind of strong. Look at Ben Johnson or Michael Phelps and you will realize you need volume even if only training for speed.

I agree with the first 2 answers and lol'd reading the third. But considering you just used "olympics" as an argument, no metter how much we discuss about it I won't be able to convice you, so let's just end this discussion here.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Jan 2, 2014 11:16 AM

Aug 2013
The ending is very good, not like of the depressants endings, this is quite excited
it only remains to wait to know if the story is a romance or a harem ..
but I will definitely follow

Achei muito bom o primeiro episódio
O encerramento é muito bom, não gosto de encerramentoss depressivos, este é bem animado
só resta esperar para saber se a historia é um romance ou um harém ..
mas com certeza vou acompanhar
Jan 2, 2014 1:10 PM

Apr 2010
I don't know about this anime there where some things i really disliked first of all that fan club i really hate it when they have things like that in anime.
Then all the girls surrounding the main girl they where annoying.
But what i really hated was the main character he was to passive he didn't speak up at all when those girls where pushing him around he let's himself be beaten up and he he didn't say much about his mistreatment at all.
It was like he was a bag of air in that classroom unnoticed to anyone.

The main girl on the other hand she was very stoic but that was ok i guess and her magic use was somewhat fun the watch.
All those explosions and the use of fire made for some nice effects.
Those enemy bunnies looked funny as well and the weren't the brightest bunch around.
Jan 2, 2014 1:55 PM

Feb 2013
This has definitely peaked my interest, the op was really good too :3
Jan 2, 2014 2:02 PM
Mar 2013
This looks promising, can't wait to watch the next episode. Tbh. i want to say this will be the Anime of the season but Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta or Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren could take that spot.
Jan 2, 2014 2:21 PM

May 2013
After watching the episode I can say I likes the background music, it really adds to the atmosphere of the series. I liked how Takamiya literally walked into a crossroad (in his life would be the metaphor) when he found the stuffed bunny in the trash and the building came crashing down on him, at that point his life literally changed (for good?). I liked how Kagari is portrayed as not being the clingy type (unlike Mikasa Ackerman); she is the boss, plain and simple. That ED animation is hilarious, no one has mentioned how when the five witches are at the rack it can be seen how they become taller >_<

Looking forward to episode two, hopefully this will be shown in crunchyroll, it needs more exposure.
Jan 2, 2014 2:37 PM

Apr 2012
Aversa said:
I don't know about this anime there where some things i really disliked first of all that fan club i really hate it when they have things like that in anime.
Then all the girls surrounding the main girl they where annoying.
But what i really hated was the main character he was to passive he didn't speak up at all when those girls where pushing him around he let's himself be beaten up and he he didn't say much about his mistreatment at all.
It was like he was a bag of air in that classroom unnoticed to anyone.

The main girl on the other hand she was very stoic but that was ok i guess and her magic use was somewhat fun the watch.
All those explosions and the use of fire made for some nice effects.
Those enemy bunnies looked funny as well and the weren't the brightest bunch around.

I agree with everything you said here. The main character also seems like she isn't going to be anything unique, just another silent girl who likes cute things.

I also don't understand why in so many anime there has to be a transfer student.

Mod Edit: quote error fixed.
ThangLongJan 5, 2014 8:00 AM
Jan 2, 2014 2:44 PM

May 2013
SushiUnlimited said:
I agree with everything you said here. The main character also seems like she isn't going to be anything unique, just another silent girl who likes cute things.

I also don't understand why in so many anime there has to be a transfer student.

Beg your pardon, what cute things does Kagari likes?

As for the transfer student, in a school setting is the obvious method of introducing new (and unusual) characters into the setting that have no reason to be there from the start. There is a reason Kagari is there from the start of the term and the other witches aren't. If you can think of another strategy for said witches to get near Takamiya I am all ears.
Jan 2, 2014 2:49 PM

Apr 2012
mangamuscle said:
SushiUnlimited said:

Beg your pardon, what cute things does Kagari likes?

As for the transfer student, in a school setting is the obvious method of introducing new (and unusual) characters into the setting that have no reason to be there from the start. There is a reason Kagari is there from the start of the term and the other witches aren't. If you can think of another strategy for said witches to get near Takamiya I am all ears.

Sorry, you're right, they didn't show that she liked cute things, I just feel like she probably does.
Jan 2, 2014 3:14 PM

Jun 2009
looks fun like i though it would be
Jan 2, 2014 4:56 PM

Sep 2013
Obama-kun : THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
Jan 2, 2014 5:17 PM
Nov 2013
ichii_1 said:
Obama-kun : THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
President Obama is best pres.
Jan 2, 2014 5:41 PM

Dec 2013
Why was Kagari calling Takayima a princess?
Jan 2, 2014 5:47 PM

Aug 2013
Anon1409 said:

It's actually hilariously appropriate seeing how we have a wuss of an MC. At least for this episode.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 2, 2014 6:06 PM

May 2013
xchee said:
Anon1409 said:

It's actually hilariously appropriate seeing how we have a wuss of an MC. At least for this episode.

Don't expect him to grow a pair, at least not as big as hers :9 http://imgur.com/4us66gX.png
Jan 2, 2014 6:48 PM
Dec 2013
Anon1409 said:

'Cuz he has a very girly name XD
namiheiJan 2, 2014 6:56 PM
Jan 2, 2014 7:02 PM
Apr 2013
I really enjoyed it even though I did not expect too. I found it to have an endearing quality
Jan 2, 2014 8:17 PM

May 2008
I cant stop laughing at the ending it was so funny. I love it, this show seems to be my guilty pleasure this season. Also it seems like alot of girls are taller than the main character .

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 2, 2014 8:19 PM

Apr 2008
It was a cute and fun first episode I am going to keep watching.
Jan 2, 2014 10:52 PM

Nov 2013
Pudi said:
pkKodama said:
mangamuscle said:
pkKodama said:
So... am I the only one who thinks the heroine is the ugliest one? Seriously, all the other classmates are pretty and cute girls while the heroine looks just fat and ugly. Really I don't see the point.

She might not be gorgeous like Celia Cumani Aintree from Walkure Romanze http://imgur.com/3rlDpUg but I would not call her overweight nor ugly just because she is not skinny or cute. She is cool (which is the opposite of cute) and no doubt has enough muscle fiber to princess carry Takamiya with ease.

She is similar to Sakaki from Azumanga_Daioh http://i.imgur.com/ZsPb9Zx.jpg

Well I'll call this just my opinion but the classmates look better than Celia(though she is indeed pretty). But the drawing used for Kagari look so different from the other girls in the same anime that it looks weird. Her face looks dumb. And she could be skinny, cute and cool, that's how anime heroines usually are. And you don't need to be big to be strong, that's a misconception, when you train martial arts always aiming to become faster and stronger, your muscles become more rigid, not bigger.
For instance I call these girls cute and cool:
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/354/8/d/tsukuyo___hyakka_by_zakilliet-d2vp7ce.jpg
http://media.animevice.com/uploads/3/36472/632995-erzarender.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/5d32dfa0702e15a6438b8c7cff944470/tumblr_mi8mehNv771rbyttso1_500.gif
http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120710112832/hunterxhunter/images/1/11/Genei_machi.jpg
And they don't have 1 meter boobs lol

Your taste in anime girls just sucks.

huh ok... coming from someone who has "High School DxD" as favorite anime and this..."whentai.com/requests/?from=1087"(-.-" some people just have no shame). It becomes pretty obvious what you use anime for...
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Jan 3, 2014 2:27 AM

Jun 2012
That pace. Lame Mc, awkward female MC. Nothing special I guess, but gonna watch it.
Jan 3, 2014 7:21 AM
Apr 2013
I normally dislike weak male lead character but I am fine with it in this one as that is the point and it pokes fun at it
Jan 3, 2014 8:58 AM

Oct 2013
Madara31 said:
I absolutely loved the ending song, the chibi head bobbing was hilarious!
Lol yes!!!
Jan 3, 2014 9:43 AM

Sep 2007
Super art for a generic rom com. Ridiculous boobs!

Jan 3, 2014 9:53 AM

May 2013
BakaGekai said:
Super art for a generic rom com. Ridiculous boobs!

What part of it is generic? If you take into account her amazonian proportions her boobs are not ridiculous, as a physician you should now better >_<
Jan 3, 2014 9:56 AM

Apr 2013
That was better than I expected. Great first impression.

I will watch the rest and hope it's good till the end. I might start to read the manga.

JC Staff is doing a nice job lately. Their latest adaptations had flaws but overall are still good. Maybe this one will be good too.
Jan 3, 2014 12:42 PM

Jun 2012
Not sure if hilarious, or just hilariously bad.

That being said, I've got a tough time watching anime with women that have slabs of ham strapped across their chest. We'll see how this goes.

Contributing to the discussion above, if there exists an actual woman with that sort of a pair, I feel truly sorry for her.
rebpandaJan 3, 2014 12:48 PM
Jan 3, 2014 12:48 PM

Jun 2013
Awesome episode.Can't wait for next episode.
Jan 3, 2014 3:44 PM

Jul 2009
Well...
The OP felt like they had a challenge to introduce as many characters as possible.
Those... rabbits. Quite a few of them.
And the ED? Not... quite sure... Were they trying to show as many torture forms as possible? And i could swear I heard 'teletubbie' there. No idea why. Summary : No way close to what i expected as an ED.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Jan 3, 2014 3:56 PM
May 2013
Witch Craft Works was just so surreal in all the right ways. The first few minutes were kinda bleh, but it picked itself up after that, and gave off a magicka madoka vibe!

Oh, and I also liked the whole fact that everyone in the class despises the MC because they dare to be in the prescence of their personal idol who they blindly follow, but she essentially just ignores them, and is there to protect the MC. Just hope that the MC develops a spine over time.
---

I'm really into anime, but I don't have many people to talk about it with reguarly. So please, add me on AIM: Superrpgman2003 or Skype:Superrpgman. Or just send me a private message here.
Jan 3, 2014 4:46 PM
Jan 2014
i dropped it 10 mins through the episode and skimmed the rest :/
everything was typical/cliche/annoying to me from what ive watched/read except for the bunnies.. that was just weird
Jan 3, 2014 8:22 PM

Jan 2014
you dont like something because you've seen something similar before? i dont get that... i thought it was funny but those 5 witches in the ending are the ones that need protecting! well its got my curiosity. look forward to more.
Jan 3, 2014 10:07 PM

Sep 2013
hmmm, average first impression for me :L the art isn't anything special and i didn't laugh once
honestly i really don't know how this'll improve either .__. a lot of the dialogue was pretty lame

"i get it! all i have to do is trust you and not question ANYTHING!"

on the up side, i did enjoy the action scenes. particularly the fire attacks were very cool
and i might not have laughed at the jokes, but at least it didn't make me wanna stop watching

will continue :)
Jan 4, 2014 3:40 AM
Nov 2013
rebpanda said:
Not sure if hilarious, or just hilariously bad.

That being said, I've got a tough time watching anime with women that have slabs of ham strapped across their chest. We'll see how this goes.

Contributing to the discussion above, if there exists an actual woman with that sort of a pair, I feel truly sorry for her.
I don't see the problem as long as none of the characters acknowledge that she has huge tits, from what I can tell from reading what is out so far for the manga no one says anything about them. Afterall, it's just a character design.
Jan 4, 2014 3:43 AM
Nov 2013
shayney said:
hmmm, average first impression for me :L the art isn't anything special and i didn't laugh once
honestly i really don't know how this'll improve either .__. a lot of the dialogue was pretty lame

on the up side, i did enjoy the action scenes. particularly the fire attacks were very cool
and i might not have laughed at the jokes, but at least it didn't make me wanna stop watching

The subs suck right now because I have never read that line... I'm pretty sure he says that he questions everything.
Jan 4, 2014 4:46 AM
Jul 2018
I don't see a romance genre. Aww... would've be perfect if it did have romance.
Really hyped to see how the other episodes turn out.

First winter 2014 anime series and its also from JC staff so I'm pretty happy.
Jan 4, 2014 7:12 AM

Aug 2013
wow, that's nice for the 1st episode. TBH, Kagari's face looks more like of a boy than a girl. Judging by her looks, it's like she's a scary type of girl inside but nice and calm on the outside.

What's with that Takamiya's attitude? being bullied like that, a little more and he's close to being a klutz...

ohh well, it looks like I'll be looking forward to those two's romance.

This anime is quite interesting, all about witches hahaha :D
Jan 4, 2014 7:20 AM

Nov 2013
R3353 said:
shayney said:

The subs suck right now because I have never read that line... I'm pretty sure he says that he questions everything.

I watch anime without subs and what he says has pretty much the meaning of what shayney said.

@iandarrenearl
Yeah, those witches are what makes me keep watching. And I miss Soul Eater lol
― Saint Augustine
Jan 4, 2014 9:29 AM
Jul 2012
Pretty interesting start. Needs to pick up the plot a bit. I know it's a bit early to say that, and by no means is that a bad thing. It IS only the first episode, and this IS done by J.C. Staff, so I'm not too worried. Looking forward to more.
Jan 4, 2014 11:27 AM
Nov 2013
pkKodama said:
R3353 said:
shayney said:

I watch anime without subs and what he says has pretty much the meaning of what shayney said.

@iandarrenearl
Yeah, those witches are what makes me keep watching. And I miss Soul Eater lol
The manga says that he questioned everything as well...
Jan 4, 2014 11:42 AM

Nov 2013
R3353 said:
The manga says that he questioned everything as well...

Yes dude, and that's why he said AFTER that, when he saw her getting hurt because of his ego, that he would just trust her and stop questioning.

Mod Edit: quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongJan 5, 2014 8:56 AM
― Saint Augustine
Jan 4, 2014 1:33 PM

Apr 2011
I'm kinda pissed at the girl's fanclub and hope that the MC grows some balls and stands up to them himself. It does help that he has a nigh-omnipotent Fire Witch backing him up who is quite willing to turn to ashes anyone who hurts her 'princess'(?!?), but I want him to stand up for himself instead of letting his huge-breasted girlfriend solve all his problems for him.
Jan 4, 2014 4:00 PM

Apr 2007
I was so bored I watched the second half of the episode at 2x speed just to get through it.
Jan 4, 2014 8:31 PM

Mar 2013
Honestly, what does Takamiya have that those witches want?
This is interesting, but I wish Kagari shows some emotion or something...
Jan 4, 2014 8:51 PM

Dec 2012
That was just great. I literally loved almost everything about it, the action, two main characters, character design, voice actors, comedy, animation, OST, etc.

Both of the main characters are just perfect, I'm so excited for this, I hope it sells well later on.

Amazing start 5/5

jose21 said:

LOL everytime she called him princess.

That was hilarious.

Mod Edit double post merged.
ThangLongJan 5, 2014 8:55 AM
Jan 4, 2014 9:22 PM

Jan 2010
i like how this anime is start, MC is anti social like oregairu and TWGOK, i hope many anime will released anti social MC,
Jan 4, 2014 11:37 PM
Nov 2013
Did not expect to like it as much as it did, I really enjoyed it. Kinda reminds of Soul Eater except it's about witches.
Is it me or does it sound like they're saying "bitch" in the ED?
Jan 5, 2014 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
wow, wow, wow. I totally love this anime. never read the manga though but the story is interesting the animation is great.
the bgm that matches this anime is great and give a strange weird feeling in a good way. That made the anime more interesting in some way.
Also anyone think that this look like a an anime that SHAFT would do. Somehow maybe because of the way the character talk and act.
Also totally recc. for those that haven't watched this. winter 2013/14 best anime for me.
Jan 5, 2014 8:59 AM

Dec 2012
Thread cleaned.

Derailing comments removed. Cosmetic errors fixed.
Jan 5, 2014 9:36 AM

Oct 2013
Can see myself dropping this, first episode was disappointing (imo). Female witch protagonist has next to 0 enthusiasm and none of the characters came across as likeable. Interesting to watch how this plays out over the next few episodes
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.