Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Jun 23, 2017 7:49 PM

Nov 2016
This final was a mix of action and feels.

Overall it was a good show, a bit dull at the beginning, but it kept getting better from there. The animation was splendid, OSTs about average, only the ending was really awesome.

Would have rated this with a 7, but Mirais little comeback made the whole drama pointless, though I have to admit I was glad to see a happy end and I even had to shed a tear when the ending song kicked in.

Well, despite asspull it's still a solid 6/10.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 22, 2017 11:14 AM

Jul 2013
I think this series did well. My one problem was they dropped a lot of bombs at us in the end and left us hanging. Izumi has a dreamshade inside her but there was no explanation or significance about that provided? Hopefully there's a season 2 or an OVA or something where this gets touched on more. And Fujima has one too and the destructive nature of dreamshades is suppose to be the motivation behind all his actions? That's just lazy writing to me, I expected him to be more twisted and complex rather than just some antagonist who wants to destroy the world.

I kind of wish Sakura learned how to fight without that weapon, because she's already shown she's highly proficient in combat. She still had a great character though.

I think the ending of the series would have been more poignant if they didn't revive Mirai as well. It just kind of trivializes all those emotional goodbye moments from before. But I guess it makes sense since Akihito gained control of Beyond the Horizon so of course his feelings revived her. I thought his mom was gonna provide more background for us when she arrived but...I guess that's a pipe dream too.

However I think the story was told in a pretty nice way. One of my favorite moments has to be the explanation behind Mirai's moe-ish "don't talk to me" behavior in the beginning of the series. I'm gonna say 8.5/10 and round it up to 9/10.

Edit: just looked and saw that there's a movie sequel and an OVA prequel? Hopefully that will deliver all I'm looking for!
ChanaynayJul 22, 2017 11:18 AM
Sep 9, 2017 8:42 AM

Jan 2013
Thus they re-united ... kind of a meh ending, would have loved it if they explained why rather than just saying maybe it was fate / Mirai making it come to true or his feelings reached her.
Or just don't revive her at all.

Still though, solid show, had a lot of awesome scenes and actually a pretty coherent story.

9/10
Sep 25, 2017 8:16 AM

Oct 2015
Mira's comeback does not make sense to me, it has no logic we just bring people back without logic for anime fans to be satisfied with the end hey? The show was fine for me and the fight scenes made me enjoy it but story wise it was stupid yeah I said it was very stupid. so to be lenient I would rate 6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 11, 2017 3:44 PM
Nov 2013
Pretty good anime, not what I was expecting considering I found it via someone's best "ecchi" anime list on the Youtubes, but good nonetheless. Not sure if it is one I will buy or not, but will rate it at 7/10 as it was a pretty decent anime.
Oct 30, 2017 12:38 PM
May 2017
Wha..what?? Oh, I get it...no wait I don't...I guess that makes sense...HUH?

Basically, my thought process while watching this show. The characters were likable, but the plot started off interesting and then just transformed into this giant mess. It's too bad because this was some of the best animation I've seen out of an anime. Seriously, it was top notch.

Oh, well. I give it a 6/10.
Feb 4, 2018 7:56 AM
Jun 2017
Hey guys check this link out. I think this explanation makes a lot of sense. Pls share your views.

http://beyondtheboundarytheories.tumblr.com/post/74023309153/how-did-mirai-come-back-to-life/amp
Mar 22, 2018 9:54 PM

Apr 2016
I was genuinely surprised when we thought Mirai was gone for good. It would have made for a plausible ending.

But seeing her come back makes me believe is she's truly real or something more menacing or simply in Aki's head.

Still I guess a happy ending is a happy ending.

And it everything comes down to the glasses.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 17, 2018 9:11 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great show with a fairly good ending!

I’m very uncertain on what those final couple of minutes or so was implying but I, personally, think that Kuriyama is not alive in real life simply because she clearly said that her real body is long gone and it wouldn’t make sense for it to just came back since the ‘shade’ has returned back to Akihito. Could it all be inside Akihito’s head, rooting from regrets and dissatisfaction?
Plenty more Questions even from here onwards:
- Who exactly is Akihito’s mother and what kind of a background has she had with Akihito and Izumi? Moreover, where is she off to now and in order to do what exactly?
I honestly this is one of the biggest mysteries surrounding the story because his mother surely knows exactly what’s up with Akihito.
- How did Mirai not collapse?
Clearly, she used a lot more blood, like tetra gallons of blood, than before and it seemed as though using that little amount had a lot more affect. Even if it was because of her getting the hang of her power or becoming stronger, there was little to no implications on that.
- Why is Izumi contaminated with ‘shade’ and where on earth has she disappeared to?
Does it have anything to do with extra power? Probably not, but I’ll just thrown it in here anyway in case that minor possibility is actually legitimate.
- What was the motive of Fujima? Would the destruction of the world have helped him in any way or was he planning to control the beast afterwards?
And more...

All in all, a really good series despite this little lapse in the conclusion.

- Storyline/Plot Development: 5/10
Honestly, this felt a bit flat throughout. For starters, the world building aspect of the show was awful and I have no idea how the whole Spirit hunting association and such works. Meanwhile, I, for one, really adored episode 6 but it, and another episode or two, were clearly side-stories which were not a part of the overarching plot and even the timing for them was a bit off. Ending of the show was haphazard too with a lot of things thrown in to the mix and some of it wasn’t really backed up with enough details sadly. Still, a average to fairly good department regardless.
- Characterization/Character Development: 7/10
It could’ve easily hit the high 8s and possibly the 9/10 and even the 10/10 mark had it focused a bit more on the antagonists and the final trump cards, that is Akihito’s mother and Izumi for instance. Main cast were an intriguing bunch, meanwhile, and the side-story episodes really made me adore this bunch a lot more! I think what really sold them to me was the realism that KyoAni managed to perfect in this show. Overall, a bit disappointed but adored the main cast anyway.
- Art/Animation Scale: 9/10
KyoAni simply providing what they provide best, and that is evidently gorgeous animation! Battle scenes were eye-candy to watch and the action sequences totally mesmerising, there were so many instances when I would replay a certain scene just to go through the experience again! Basically, it delivered whenever it was required and was above par throughout! Great stuff!
- Sound Department: 9.5/10
Op and ED, along with all the soundtracks, were top tier! Really, amazing stuff! Op had this really nice moody feel to it and the ED was great to hear after each and every episode! Soundtracks during the comedic scenes were really well placed and accurate, and likewise for battle scenes. The eerie soundtracks made me really invested into the heavy intense moments. I’ll definitely miss the cameo of these two last two Departments!
- Personal Enjoyment: 8/10
I really enjoyed the show, truly! I would’ve given this an easy 9 had the conclusion for the show been handled better, but it was still brillIant! Plot twist there at Episode 10 revealing the backstory leading up to Episode 1 was, in particular, an amazing ride! Directing of that episode was great and it just had the right mood to it, I guess. Comedy aspect of this show was cho-very hilarious and a great and memorable company(I won’t forget Episode 6 for a while for sure), especially when Akihito and Onii-Chan would be in sync! Overall, definitely going to miss this show!

-> Overall Final Score: Solid 7.5/10!
Looking forward to seeing the sequel movie tomorrow morning(or probably not anytime before afternoon, it seems)! I know that not all of my Questions will be answered but I hope at least some will. In particular, I really hope we get to know more of Akihito’s mother.
_MushiRock11_Dec 18, 2018 1:38 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 30, 2019 12:22 PM
Apr 2019
How unpleasant! It's done now. Time for the movies to see how things really ends!
Nov 23, 2019 9:29 PM

Aug 2019
bro i dont even care if that ending made literal no sense, this anime had all the ingredients i wanted for everything good.
yep kyotoani did a bloody amazing fantastic god damn job at making this action styled, comedy filled, romance driven anime that gave me a few more characters to add to my favourite, a few more OPs and EDs songs to add to my playlist and a few more tears to shed c;
this anime was another anime were i didnt want to finish it as i didnt want the enjoyment to ever end but here i am now, in a room full of onions and i can say im glad i finished it. I havent found another anime quite like this one with all the things i would love in and anime so i have to say it's one of a kind
In conclusion,
thank you so much kyotoani!
season 2? Please.
Sakura? Best girl of entire anime.
I? Don't feel unpleasant.
Dec 4, 2019 8:45 PM

Apr 2015
About one and a 1/2 year ago, I started to watch this anime and hated it. Everything was wrong, I didn't know what was going on..but after a cute clip of Akihito & Hiroomi (who is voiced by the same VA that did Makoto Tachibana from Free!! ((YEEK)) I was sold. It was a good decision. I loved it! Though the three episodes of SOL makes me cringe lmao. Pacing wise...was a little wack. The Sakura girl gave me vibes from Nagi no Asukara tbh of Miuna (in that annoying way). Personally, I got "Kimi no Na Wa" vibes from this. I am surprised that no one has recommended it with this series.

Akkey is a gem. He reminds me of Oreki a little. Such a great character, KyoAni did well.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Feb 25, 2020 2:20 AM

Aug 2018
I think Kuriyama might have converted me to a glasses aficionado
Apr 12, 2020 8:38 PM

Feb 2020
this anime, and ending, was the best. 12/10, I've never seen an anime, yet, that made me cry uncontrollably like this has, I'm never going to forget this anime even in the next 80 years

Kyoto Animation rocks
Jul 2, 2020 7:49 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Absolutely 10 per 10 for all the fantastic story building i've ever seen. The story was very natural till the end that finally Aki had a full control over Beyond the Boundary. I can't wait to see the movies to understand more what happened after that sudden revival. I mean, HOLY DAMN! SHE COME BACK, MY MEGANE CHAN!
10 for a happy ending with my personal priviledge as a fan of this goddamned show.
10 for an amazing art and animations from KyoAni. No doubt.
10 for bringing a wonderful songs and the ost. The insertion sounds were incredible. And the vocals were so savaging. No joke. Its a masterpiece.
10 for moeness character, from their heroine. A hilarious mom. A shyness but brocon Mitsuki. A cute loli Youmu Ai-cwhan. A beautiful lady Youmu Ayaka. A pretty devil lookong Izumi. And the others. Shit. Her good visual make me want to give her characterization a 10. No other explanations.
Ofc my enjoyment would come to a 10 scores. What else?
So thats it. A solid fights. A solid happy ends too with all of the dark beyond the boundary. Maybe its too biased. But, whatever. I still liking my decision. So, yeah, thats it then!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 21, 2020 3:28 AM

Jul 2016
Man, I really wanted to like this anime, but I'm afraid that to say that I was pretty bored of it...

The ED though was pretty good tho
Oct 14, 2020 9:30 AM

Aug 2020
I felt like this anime had so many plot holes and things that just didn't add up but I still enjoyed it much more than I initially thought I would.

Oct 30, 2020 4:47 AM
Jun 2020
bastek66 said:
>no kiss, again
Fuck you, Kyoani.
IKR!!! WHO WOULDN'T HAVE KILLED FOR A KISS :-\
Oct 30, 2020 5:41 AM

May 2009
minial said:
bastek66 said:
>no kiss, again
Fuck you, Kyoani.

Watch movie sequel because she has no memories after return. Just don't expect kiss there either.:\
Nov 6, 2020 2:19 PM
Jun 2020
bastek66 said:
minial said:

Watch movie sequel because she has no memories after return. Just don't expect kiss there either.:\
wait.. which sequel??
Nov 7, 2020 10:45 AM

May 2009
minial said:
bastek66 said:

wait.. which sequel??

https://myanimelist.net/anime/28675/Kyoukai_no_Kanata_Movie_2__Ill_Be_Here_-_Mirai-hen
Dec 13, 2020 1:08 PM

Jan 2020
look, i don't get why everyone is yapping about the ending. But there are sequels .-.
that may give an explanation to how & why she returned (im not sure though). The ending wasn't perfect, to me it didn't make sense but it did at the same time, and it wasn't awful.

I personally did enjoy this series a lot. It actually did manage to make me cry TT

~overall 9/10 for me (★ ω ★)

3099Dec 13, 2020 1:16 PM
Feb 12, 2021 9:08 PM
May 2015
Just finished it, I really didn't like this anime at all.

I could get 30 minutes is fast for each episode, but the story was pretty inconsistent and jumbled. The pacing was too fast and jumped between serious/non-serious episodes in an inconsistent way.

The anime tropes/complexes were too overwhelming for this anime. The story gets so bogged down by anime complexes. The hentai, loli, senpai stuff etc. Not my cup of tea.

I do like how they develop the relationship between Mirai and Akihito; I love how both characters are strong in their own way, yet rely on one another. Mirai, specifically, is pretty kick ass too. The character animation/art, battle scenes and music were top notch too.

Yet, I find animes are at their strongest when it conveys a good story. It doesn't do that to the slightest.

I can't recommend this to anyone tbh, I really wanted to like this so bad, but I can't.
Mar 12, 2021 10:15 AM
Jun 2020
minial said:
bastek66 said:

wait.. which sequel??
There is a whole fucking movie... go check it out
May 29, 2021 8:13 AM

Jun 2015
I really wanted to like this show - it seemed like it was going to be at least a strong 8 for me but that last episode really dropped the ball. Great action and animation of course, but the complete lack of clarity for all of the story elements made everything so unsatisfying. Especially the ending scene.
Jun 1, 2021 12:29 AM
May 2021
I like it!!! I accessed many apps, wallpapers, and more because of this anime. This is my first post because of this anime. Call me shallow, but I am aware of the flaws. But it didn't stop me to love this anime!!! 1000/10!!!Hands up for 2021 watchers!
Sep 24, 2021 8:31 AM

Apr 2020
Okay ... I liked this series overall but the last episode was not really good!
Especially the last minutes that in my opinion brought the value of anime lower!

Overall a good series 7/10
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Sep 30, 2021 12:28 PM

Nov 2013
wtf is this??? Hello?! Any explanations?

Hopefully movie will give us some answers. Otherwise, this was a disappointing show built on cuteness-baiting.
Mar 20, 2022 2:22 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Oh, ok so this actually has some form of an ending. I thought the storyline is wrapped up in the following movie... perhaps that's another story all on its own? I guess I'll go find out. For now, rating Beyond the Boundary with a 5 out of 10, 3/5 objectively plus a 2/5 subjectively. It looks really good and while not necessarily bad, it does feel rather bland despite all its colour.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 21, 2022 4:08 AM

Jun 2010
It was a pretty fun series.. humor and drama, action as well.. The MC wasn't you typical either brain dead idiot, or sexless man-child like character.. A little bit of fanservice to make it all the better. The ending was a thankful surprise in the era of "edgelord" endings and series. 8.8 for the series as a whole, and 9.6 for the ending/last ep. When you start talking about spirit beings, magic or demons/etc, esp in the context of the events, as well as abilities we seen in the series.. well.. not every single thing needs explained, at least not instantly.

neontaster said:

It was such a cheap emotional blackmail trick. First off - they already did the thing where she dies but then turns out to still be alive. They did it fucking last week! Second, just commit to one. If she survives, then have her survive. If she's dead, keep her dead. I hate that they tried to deliver both emotional beats just to trick you into thinking you actually care. Because you don't care. You don't.

To be completely fair, that's all killing characters off like this really is anyway.. A cheap attempt to trick out an emotional response. Pointless tragedy, esp last minute, in a fictional/fantasy story, is a lazy way to try and make a series feel epic/deep/emotional.. It's right up their with other bankrupt tactics such as the "totally open (make your own up because I can't be bothered) ending" and the "surprise! It was all for nothing" total defeat ending. It's all attempts to play off of emotions and once you understand that, it's very hard to take tragic endings seriously, let alone not have them ruin the stories for you.
James_xenoMar 21, 2022 4:13 AM
Jun 13, 2022 6:47 PM
Nov 2020
wait what so kiriyama alive? how?
This ending is just quite confusing but overall everything on this anime is so beautiful I'm also expecting for them to kiss but i received an FUYUKAI DESU 8/10.
Aug 26, 2022 1:48 PM
Dec 2020
good anime for h  
Sep 7, 2022 5:26 AM
Jul 2020
Ngl the story had alot of inconsistencies and plotholes, but at the end of it, i just cant give this one anything below 8. And its not just because of the gorgeous animation and soundtrack, but also the execution and idk man, kyoani just hits different
Nov 11, 2022 1:45 AM
Nov 2022
it was fantastic and the entier storyline was heart warming
Dec 29, 2022 6:15 AM
Dec 2022
seriously, a rollercoaster of emotions.
Jul 9, 2023 3:45 PM
May 2020
How to use BBCode?
Dec 31, 2023 1:01 AM
Dec 2023
English dub isn't good.
Jan 12, 9:02 AM
Mar 2020
it was good! i did cry a bit though i originally watched in 2017
Apr 23, 6:55 AM
Mar 2021
It started with glasses and ended with glasses...
So anyway, the anime was great but how did Mirai come back
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.