Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 20, 2013 7:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh shit just got real again. The action is kinda weird imo but Izumi sure has her hands full. Damn that ending..
Stark700Nov 20, 2013 9:51 AM
Nov 20, 2013 7:56 AM

Nov 2007
So that girl is also suitable for wearing glasses. lol @ the mother again. "Kyoukai no Kanata" is a youmu?? Wow, that girl changed a lot (even calling her sempai), and knows her "fuyukai desu" meanings. Looks like that megane guy from final bit of last ep. wanted magane girl loving guy (because his power on youmu part is unstable?).
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 20, 2013 8:03 AM
Dec 2012
Disappointed. I had expected something unique or shocking beyond the boundary. It was just like another routine battle and episode.
Nov 20, 2013 10:11 AM

May 2013
Oh man Akahito's turning into a youmu. Izumi just owned all of those youmu.
Nov 20, 2013 10:24 AM

Aug 2010
This ep was good. Shit got real at the end.

Akihito is awakening again. That was pretty creepy at the end ^^;

Izumi is totally BA...loved her spear wielding techniques when she was owning those Youmu. But she's still giving me bad vibes. I wonder why she did what she did to Akihito?

Akihito's mom making a reappearance and being lol as usual, Lol'd st his face when he was looking at the message XD

Hiromi saving Mitsuki like a BOSS was awesome. Dat Scarf!! Dat Siscon-ism XD

And Mitsuki's Onii-chan was so cute <3

Aya's Youmu form was pretty nice. Too bad we couldn't see her full power.

And seems like Sakura is shipping Mirai and Aki hehe.

Lol'd at him staying up the night to decide which glasses and when he wanted to take the photo of Bunny Mirai XD
Nov 20, 2013 10:59 AM

Oct 2013
BTW, I always loved reading @Barion-Zara comments.

then ending was awesome and I worried for Akihito... Kuriyama sure-sure can save him again
Nov 20, 2013 11:19 AM

May 2013
Good episode, Mirai showing her feels towards Akihito!

Epic battles getting started!

Well full ending will be released next week!
Nov 20, 2013 11:30 AM

Aug 2010
Sakura AND Mirai with bed hair.... hhhhhhnnngh Also, that sakura shoving mirai onto aki <3

And it looks like the thick plottens. I wonder what everyone's angle is, here. And Aichan, please be safe >.<
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Nov 20, 2013 11:46 AM

Nov 2010
Absolutely love the ending where Akihito's eye changed.
Another golden moment when Mitsuki called for his onii-chan.
Nov 20, 2013 11:51 AM

Aug 2010
heiqi1hu said:

then ending was awesome and I worried for Akihito... Kuriyama sure-sure can save him again

Thnx ^^
Nov 20, 2013 11:53 AM
Mar 2012
Dang it, what a nasty development. Akkey become berserk because Izumi? Seems like that she have hidden agenda.

Anyway, Hiro'omi's "NAZE DA?" is hilarious.
Nov 20, 2013 11:57 AM

Jul 2013
FUUU dat cliffhanger >_>
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Nov 20, 2013 12:06 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I liked Akihito's flashback, that was quite sad :( he was so cute when he was dozing off haha. But too bad that's a bad thing because of the Calm. I wonder why they need Akihito, this should be interesting. Hiroomi and that guy's fight was brief but was a nice scene to watch. We also learned a lot this episode. Things are picking up. Still those megane and imouto jokes...and also the fuyukai desu too.
Nov 20, 2013 12:41 PM

May 2012
Good episode. Would have liked to see more action. Izumi is bad ass. Her fight scene was the highlight of this episode for me. Remind me of Dante's Osiris from dmc. Wasn't expecting to see Ayaka transform. Glad she didn't look stupid. It actually fit her. Hopefully there wii be more action next episode. Izumi vs Miroku?

Dat postcard.
Nov 20, 2013 1:02 PM

Aug 2011
Yes. This was a good episode. The joke scenes were considerably shorter and there weren't too many of them. That flashback D: Akkey DDD:

My theory that Akkey afflicted those scars on Hiroomi's back still sticks. Ahh wow the show is starting to pick up please don't let it drop again.
Nov 20, 2013 1:16 PM

Jul 2010
Damn, Izumi is OP.Akkey going youmu mode.This is getting more and more exciting.

Also:
-At times like this, i thnk my little sister and I should walk home side by side.
-Yea, but she's already gone.
-...NAZE DA?!
Lmao.
Nov 20, 2013 2:09 PM

Mar 2013
http://oi43.tinypic.com/bdodw4.jpg
Hmmm...Is the boy on the right supposed to be Hiromi?
It's probably just a boy who looks like him, but it'd be nice if they went more into what happened to Akihito as a kid. And who his father is.

Laciie said:
My theory that Akkey afflicted those scars on Hiroomi's back still sticks.

I agree, it makes a ton of sense.

And dang, Izumi. That fight scene. She's way cooler than I imagined her to be.
lament-flowerNov 20, 2013 2:23 PM
Nov 20, 2013 2:12 PM

Jun 2013
Akkey is turning into a youmu.Izumi and Aya so OP.

Awesome episode.Can't wait for next one.
Nov 20, 2013 2:26 PM

Jun 2008
The feels in this episode! A lot better than previous one.
Izumi's fight scene was amazing! Though would've preferred it to be longer, I guess.
Nov 20, 2013 2:58 PM

Jun 2013
Great episode the animation and music was beautiful as always.
Nov 20, 2013 3:07 PM

Aug 2013
Loved the jokes! Great episode.
Nov 20, 2013 3:27 PM

Feb 2013
Izami and Aya were freaking awesome! I see that Akihito is awakening so shit is about to go down.
Nov 20, 2013 3:38 PM

Feb 2013
Laciie said:
Yes. This was a good episode. The joke scenes were considerably shorter and there weren't too many of them.

I agree with this, this episode did much better without harping on the tired jokes for such long times. This show is good when it commits more to drama or comedy rather than trying to juggle both.
Nov 20, 2013 3:38 PM

Jun 2013
Wow! Much action! Such tense! So cute!
Nov 20, 2013 4:32 PM

Jul 2012
He is about to go beast mode again I cannot wait until the next episode!

Great episode!!!
Nov 20, 2013 4:57 PM

Mar 2012
This was a good episode in the sense that it finally demonstrates what this series looks like when it's clicking on all cylinders. Personally, I've always enjoyed the humor. But as we saw in ep. 6 (which honestly should've been an OVA), sometimes it gets carried away and interferes with how we engage with the series. This episode did very well with presenting some humor and then getting serious about the plot it's supposed to carry.

Combat, as always, looks incredibly well put together and I enjoyed every bit of it. At this point it's clear that both Izumi and Fujima are hiding things, and I'm not sure who can be trusted. One represent the Nase family and one represent the spirit world warrior association. Neither is necessarily thinking in the best interests of others, Mirai and Akihito in particular. In fact, it's obvious that Izumi has been scheming about the two for quite awhile...
Nov 20, 2013 4:58 PM

Jul 2010
Everytime I hear "Fuyukai-desu", a part of me dies inside, too damn annoying.

Except that, a solid episode, I'm looking forward to see once again Akihito in youmu form.
Nov 20, 2013 5:32 PM

Dec 2008
Oh, shit!

Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 20, 2013 5:35 PM

Mar 2013
heiqi1hu said:

hahah I was reading his comment and was thinking the same thing...

it's like he writes everything that I have on my mind but just can't remember
Nov 20, 2013 6:00 PM

Mar 2012
This series keeps getting better and better. December can't come soon enough!
Nov 20, 2013 6:53 PM

Nov 2012
wow this is a lot, lot better than previous 2 episodes! What did Izumi do to Aki actually? And dat next episode...don't tell me Izumi tell Mirai to kill Akihito..
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Nov 20, 2013 7:02 PM

May 2013
Series is getting better. But, can't get used to Sakura being all friends with Mirai so quickly. If the calm weakens Yomu powers, why is Akihito going all Yomu mode? If it weakens his human side also, shouldn't he just be on the edge of death and not turning Yomu? I understand he's half and half and it is supposed to be unpredictable but it really makes no sense. If the next episode is just "Mirai kill him!" "I can't because he treats me like I'm normal. Maybe I am cursed why do bad things happen to the people I love?" the series will definitely lose points. The thing that interests me the most is the Nase family vs. the organization. Loving that subplot the most. I also love the fetish jokes.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Nov 20, 2013 7:26 PM

Feb 2012
Shit's getting real.
Nov 20, 2013 7:47 PM

Sep 2013
His mom :P

I wonder what Izumi did to him?

I wonder if his dad will make an appearance?

Maybe his stone is worth allot since he can't normally be killed or something.
Nov 20, 2013 7:50 PM

Jun 2013
GREAT EPISODE.

Now , could just someone make a gif of Izumi nee-sama beating the shit out of those youmus ? I would appreciate , inb4 gbu lel.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Nov 20, 2013 8:04 PM

Oct 2013
Izumi's attacks were so pretty to look at. KyoAni at its best.

Meanwhile, things just turned on a really serious note...
Nov 20, 2013 8:09 PM

Jan 2009
Izumi is badass so much action this episode has
Nov 20, 2013 8:21 PM

Jun 2009
The way Sakura woke up from sleeping in class lol, that killed me.
Akihito saying "fuyukai desu"
Love Hiromi <3 lol

...then it got real
Nov 20, 2013 9:05 PM

Oct 2013
It's my belief that the organization wants Aki's powers. They decided to act and went after him during the calm. Knowing this, Izumi did something to Aki to allow him to keep his powers during the calm. She'd rather take a chance at him destroying the city rather than having the organization get their hands on Aki. Can't wait for the next episode.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Nov 20, 2013 9:05 PM

Jul 2009
Silvertongue00 said:
Dang it, what a nasty development. Akkey become berserk because Izumi? Seems like that she have hidden agenda.

Anyway, Hiro'omi's "NAZE DA?" is hilarious.

LOL i know right! Hiromi and Akihito's interactions are win.

Love that ending, i need more NAO!
Nov 20, 2013 9:24 PM

Aug 2013
bakcheia said:
Laciie said:
Yes. This was a good episode. The joke scenes were considerably shorter and there weren't too many of them.

I agree with this, this episode did much better without harping on the tired jokes for such long times. This show is good when it commits more to drama or comedy rather than trying to juggle both.

My thoughts exactly.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 20, 2013 9:35 PM

Mar 2012
Baku219 said:
If the calm weakens Yomu powers, why is Akihito going all Yomu mode? If it weakens his human side also, shouldn't he just be on the edge of death and not turning Yomu? I understand he's half and half and it is supposed to be unpredictable but it really makes no sense.

As Akihito was brought back to Ayaka's house she mentioned that not only had his youmu side gotten weaker by virtue of the calm, but also his human side too for whatever reason. We can safely presume that it was Izumi who weakened Akihito's human side. We don't know why, but seems like she did so knowing exactly what would happen, which is to say she wanted Akihito to turn during the height of the calm.
Nov 20, 2013 9:37 PM

Oct 2007
First passable episode since the 4th one. I even had a genuine laugh when the teacher stomped the floor and for some reason Sakura's desk jumped up into the air. Maybe it's just to the point where any gag in this show not related to fetish pandering instantly becomes more noticeable but yeah there you have it. The humor in this show is just so basic on average that even something like that stands out and obviously the show still sees fit to have the usual banter about glasses and the female characters clumsiness, but somehow it felt a little more subdued this time I guess.

I'm not sure I'd consider Sakura a functional character with a real arc at this point and she just sort of seems to have become instantly back on good terms with Mirai like it was nothing. How the heck did they get out of the sewer, what happened after that and where did that guy that gave her the chainsaw gun thing go exactly?

Also I'm generally pretty good with these sorts of things...I think...but I honestly have almost no idea what the heck is going on with that Izumi character and never really have. It always seems like she's scheming something or talking cryptically and while this episode really wanted to illustrate how she's a top class Spirit Warrior or whatever it just sort of feels like she's only kind of there.

The show makes the calm seem like the least threatening thing ever by having Akihito's mother describe it to the cast in the cutesiest most annoyingly voiced way possible while Mirai is also for some reason dressed up in a bunny outfit (gotta get those otaku fan favorite outfits in there....all of them). I don't know why the show fumbles around with what should be it's more important and I guess serious plot points like this, unless like it's not meant to be that serious and threatening at all in which case never mind I guess. I'd question why his mother sounds and acts like she's about 8 years old, but I'd sooner rather not know the answer.

A few other things, how could Akihito forget that he's half-youmu. Anyway the Calm reminds me of those periods in Inuyasha where the titular character would lose his demon powers and become just a normal human and curiously Kyoani also worked on that show as an inbetween/finish animator for Sunrise. It's just a shame they didn't take away from their time working on that show how to choreagraph a better action scene or have a functional dynamic like Inuyasha and Kagome had.

This show continues to be very bizarrely cut. Characters get from one location to another with little indication of how they got there such as Izumi appearing in front of Akihito, putting him to sleep and then him suddenly being back at the mystic shop with the other girls. How did he get there if he was asleep and riding a train? How did Hiroomi get out of the bus that he was in when it exploded?

I don't really buy Mirai's explanation that Akihito treats her like a normal person and that's why she wants to look after him. I'd sooner by that it's an act of good faith because most of the scenes that they have shown to be together have involved him pretty much belittling her and objectifying her because of his glasses fetish. The two really have very little chemistry at all and it really cripples the final scene of this episode which was supposed to be heartfelt but kind of falls flat on it's face as a result.

So then the question comes to how to evaluate this episode. I feel like I'm going to regret this in a few weeks, but I'm going to vote 3/5 it was okay, though really that's only a comparative standard at this point. This show still has a LOT of problems but this episode managed to keep them as in check as well as any episode since the 4th one.
Nov 20, 2013 9:52 PM

Aug 2013
I really liked this episode, glad that it's getting serious again.
wow gay
Nov 20, 2013 10:16 PM

Aug 2013
I'm already excited for the next episode to come out :D
Nov 20, 2013 10:34 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty good episode. I'm on and off with this anime. Maybe because I was tired when I watched this episode
Nov 20, 2013 11:22 PM

Jul 2013
First half of the episode of the episode has some comedy aspects in it, while the second half has a much more serious atmosphere. Episode was great overall especially that ending scene, I can't wait to see the next episode.

Damn those Spirit World Warriors battle scenes, I was pretty astonished by it, Aya's youmu form and Izumi fight scenes were badass. Huh Akkey has a flashback of himself, it was interesting, and Mirai now developed feelings for Akkey... We'll that ending scene was surprising to me.

Nov 20, 2013 11:40 PM

Mar 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I don't really buy Mirai's explanation that Akihito treats her like a normal person and that's why she wants to look after him. I'd sooner by that it's an act of good faith because most of the scenes that they have shown to be together have involved him pretty much belittling her and objectifying her because of his glasses fetish. The two really have very little chemistry at all and it really cripples the final scene of this episode which was supposed to be heartfelt but kind of falls flat on it's face as a result.

Specifically to this part of your post, the claim made by Mirai that she wants to stay by Akihito's side because he treats her like a normal person is in fact quite believable.

Look back to the end of ep. 3 when Akihito tells Mirai that she is the one who understands nothing. Up till that point, Mirai has basically sealed herself in because she believes she's different and should therefore separate herself from others. It isn't until Akihito turns into his youmu form in ep. 4 that Mirai understands 1) what Akihito meant earlier and 2) that he's been in the same boat she is. Mirai from that point on can rely on that kind of connection between the two, and a clear sign of her shifting attitude about him comes at the end of that ep. when she shares part of her dinner with him. That's not false chemistry.

And no matter how silly his comments about her are at times (specifically the glasses fetish ones), he clearly doesn't treat her as an object. I mean, he goes out of his way to save her life and risks his own in the process. Mirai likely understands this too (there are no dense people in this series). I would go as far as to argue that the silly comments are part of why Mirai believes Akihito treats her normally. His frankness about his preferences conveys intimacy. It means he isn't scared of her. If you just look at those silly comments on face value, you're oversimplifying a lot of the implicit messages here. Nothing I'm saying is a stretch either.
Nov 21, 2013 12:06 AM

Dec 2010
Probably one of the best episodes yet, I like the way this arc is unfolding. Here's hoping it continues to be awesome!
Nov 21, 2013 12:06 AM

Jan 2011
Izumi kicks ass, I knew she would be powerful but wow.
[center]
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.