Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 17, 2014 10:13 PM

Jan 2011
Only when she pulls those faces. Her personality is pretty ugly too.
Aug 17, 2014 10:18 PM

Jul 2012
She's not aesthetically pleasing nor does she have an approachable personality.

Then again, neither do I.
Aug 19, 2014 8:29 AM

Feb 2014
She looks cute as long as she don't try to. Her attempts of self-improvement are miserable though.
I rarely revisit threads, so if you're after a reply you should PM me or post a comment on my profile.
Aug 19, 2014 8:36 AM

May 2013
In the anime she is kinda cute.
In the manga she looks like a lizard. I still would marry her.
Sep 2, 2014 8:31 AM

Jul 2013
No she is kawaii desu
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2014 12:27 PM

Oct 2012
tomoko probably isnt inherently ugly, but you have to try a little bit to look attractive, regardless of gender, and she has absolutely no idea how to do that. shes just greasy and weird lookin.
Sep 7, 2014 10:03 PM
May 2008
I don't know if I would say she is ugly. Strange and socially awkward yes but not ugly. She really needs a full nights rest and maybe tie her hair back into a ponytail and she could almost be as attractive as her classmates.
Sep 23, 2014 1:43 AM

Sep 2014
Of course she's cute, I can base that fact on the first moment I saw her.

^ Lolicon above
Oct 17, 2014 10:54 PM
Sep 2013
It's not all about looks when it comes to socializing :P (even though it may help) also the plainer a main character looks the easier it is for the audience to project themselves on to them and relate with her
Oct 20, 2014 7:36 AM

Oct 2011
I couldn't help noticing that she has great legs.
Nov 10, 2014 10:11 AM

Sep 2014
She looks kind of cute. Honestly, hardly any character in anime is ugly. Truth be said, there are no such characters unless they purposely make them fat, have weird face or whatever.
May 5, 2015 4:42 AM

Apr 2015
she's cool I would like to be her bestfriend :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2015 10:00 PM

Nov 2014
She is not ugly, she just needs more attention to her appearance.

Jul 15, 2015 12:48 PM

Sep 2014
No Way. She is NOT ugly at all

I think She is the CUTE.
Jul 5, 2016 1:41 AM
Apr 2015
cuter than me for sure
Aug 17, 2016 8:38 AM
Aug 2016
She's cute, I'd go out with her, were both loners(in terms of not having a BF/GF) we have similar personality traits and we both like videogames, the Internet and anime, We're probably perfect for each other.
Nov 10, 2016 10:39 AM
Nov 2016
I think Tomoko is really cute to me.In the
ending-1 she was super cute.And I don't think she's ugly because she is pretty in her own way.
Dec 10, 2016 6:06 AM

Jun 2015
It's impossible for an anime character to not be either a) cute, b) hot or c) a Gonk.
Tomoko falls into a) territory.
Jan 5, 2017 8:56 PM
Jul 2018
HaXXspetten said:
If she got a full night's sleep for once I think she'd look great. Sure her eyes are pretty creepy but that's just part of her character image so I don't mind.

Exactly this. It's the eye shadows that look really gross. Fix that, and then tidy up her hair a bit, and she'd look cute.

TrashDax said:
It's impossible for an anime character to not be either a) cute, b) hot or c) a Gonk.
Tomoko falls into a) territory.

You've never seen the Stalker from Perfect Blue, have you?
Jan 12, 2017 12:27 PM

Jul 2015
Not really, but her eyes, she had awful bags under her eyes, probably from worry and lack of sleep. Her brother also had the bags because Tomoko drove him crazy. She was OK in the episodes where the bags disappeared though.
Aug 4, 2017 9:10 PM
Aug 2017
I sympathize a lot with Tomoko since she was a lot like I was in high school. Awkward, unsure of herself and not sure/interested with interacting with classmates. I was lucky in the fact that I was still able to connect and make friends and didn't put up with anyone who tried to bully me, but I often found myself wondering why people, especially boys, wouldn't give me much notice and sometimes the bitterness from those thoughts would get to me making me mentally snarky towards others.

However, now that I had some distance to look back on it, I realize that all that stemmed from being immature. A late bloomer. I really didn't get into dressing up and caring for my skin/hair and not staying up all night watching anime until I was in college. Similarly, I see Tomoko in a similar situation. She's not ugly inside or out, just immature. She needs time to figure these things out for herself and hopefully, some awesome friends/family to help guide her a bit. Like, I would really love Yuu-chan to be a guiding force in that direction for example.

The main thing that Tomoko has to realize to change is that change doesn't just come naturally nor from others. She has to be the driving force in shaping herself and her life as she wants it to be. Without her will, nothing is going to change.

That's why I would love to see the manga follow her into her adult years and show her slowly maturing and changing herself to be who she wants to be. I would also love if she met someone nice who wants to grow along with her... And maybe be a prospect for the future? Though, even without that, she could still grow.

So, in short, no, Tomoko isn't ugly in any way, just immature. She's still growing up. She'll get there though, I'm sure. I mean, I made it, so I'm sure she can too.
Nov 25, 2019 1:56 PM
Mar 2016
She is a bit cute in the anime but I see her very different on the manga
Anime:

Manga:

I think the mangaka doesn't have the intention of showing her ugly, maybe she isn't beatiful but neither ugly, maybe she just have a okay look. Anyway the reason why she isn't good at having having friends is because she isn't good socializing.
Dec 6, 2019 7:42 PM

Jul 2017
The thread has been re-ignited lol

As other's have pointed out, she's supposed to be ugly to the anime world but cute to ours. If she really were that ugly, fewer people would watch the show. They did that to Hermione from Harry Potter, too. Beauty sells. Doesn't matter how inaccurate that might be to the source material.

Most people also tend to view most women as cute, so there's that. You'd have to try very, very hard in order to make them look bad.

Even if you kill me, even if you kill anyone, even if you reset science… There’s always an idiot who will try anything, and the shiny monkeys will inevitably create a technological civilization.

Jan 15, 2020 1:39 PM

Jun 2017
I think she's kind of cute. By anime standards, she's not at the top of the list. But i wouldn't put her at the bottom either (You know, she isn't ugly. Like Yubaba ugly.) More plain looking.

That said, i just want to hug her. If she was real, i'd date her! :) lol.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Jan 27, 2020 2:24 PM
Jul 2017
If you watch the last episode in which Kuroki is trying to talk to the popular girl and she runs away because she saw her panties when the wind blow. The popular girl tells her friends that she always has her eye on her and that Kuroki is always trying so hard and that she is indeed cute. So I guess we can say that within the world of this anime she is concidered cute.
Jan 27, 2020 2:38 PM

Jul 2016
belhiegel said:
If you watch the last episode in which Kuroki is trying to talk to the popular girl and she runs away because she saw her panties when the wind blow. The popular girl tells her friends that she always has her eye on her and that Kuroki is always trying so hard and that she is indeed cute. So I guess we can say that within the world of this anime she is concidered cute.

Yeah she looks cute when she is trying hard because we all know deep down she just really wants to have like minded friends.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UglyCute/AnimeAndManga
She definitely fits the description of Ugly cute.Yeah sure she has eyebags but her eyes are extremely big to compensate.She looks tired all the time yet still pretty adorable most of the time.
SummerynJan 27, 2020 2:41 PM
Jun 26, 2020 1:37 PM
May 2019
She's "that" average looking weird chick who would be a minx in bed and fuck like the best of them. Small breasts, and very aggressive. That's why I personally enjoyed reading the Hentai based version of this anime.....yummy!
Jun 26, 2020 1:49 PM

Jan 2015
I mean she's anime so I don't really know if she's right about her being ugly, but the characters don't seem incredibly disgusted by her so she's probably just average and has no confidence.
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.