Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 13, 2013 12:00 PM

Sep 2010
I personally think it's the best typical harem type anime ive seen in awhile. I would place it above To Love Ru because I think the girls are more interesting and it's a lot more entertaining.

Im trying to think of other top rated harems...shuffle? I definitely think its better than since it doesnt take itself so seriously.

1. Date a live
2. Rosario vampire
3. Sekirei
Oct 13, 2013 12:03 PM

Nov 2010
Bottom of the middle, it was really average and nothing big really happened like the first season of all harems.
Oct 13, 2013 12:03 PM

Apr 2013
Kurumi is the best thing about Date a Live so it rates pretty high.
an egomaniac and a fool

Oct 13, 2013 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
SophiafrmAustria said:
I definitely think its better than since it doesnt take itself so seriously.

I disagree. The reason I like Date A Live is because it takes the serious stuff seriously while also being a borderline parody anime. I mean I was pretty interested on the spacequakes after the 1st episode and only realized it was a parody after listening to the narrator during the OP of ep 2. It's like she can barely contain her laughter.
Oct 14, 2013 4:03 PM

Sep 2010
Aincrad2013 said:

I disagree. The reason I like Date A Live is because it takes the serious stuff seriously while also being a borderline parody anime. I mean I was pretty interested on the spacequakes after the 1st episode and only realized it was a parody after listening to the narrator during the OP of ep 2. It's like she can barely contain her laughter.

How are you disagreeing? You just called the show a parody which pretty much means........it doesnt take itself seriously.
Nov 28, 2013 5:05 PM
Jul 2013
i heard that harem genre anime usually sucks!! but this anime just change the way people think about harem animes

and i just love origami hehe kurumi 2nd

and the others should just die.......
Dec 10, 2013 11:28 PM

Oct 2013
I'm going to put High School DxD above Date a Live. At least that show is more complex and more interesting plot.
Dec 11, 2013 12:00 AM

Oct 2013
i just think that the story is a little bit different from common harems, date a live is certainly my top harem actually without doubt, i cant say more, even i watched over 15-20 harems series...
Dec 11, 2013 12:07 AM

Mar 2012
This is only middle tier. Cannot be compared to KamiNomi who is god tier.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 11, 2013 12:51 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Somewhere in the middle, perhaps slightly above average

It's good but it's no ZnT, KamiNomi, anything from Key, TLRD, Kore wa Zombie etc, there are quite a lot of better ones out there

although I personally think the concept of a Harem doesn't really work for anime, it's made for a different medium originally after all
Dec 12, 2013 10:06 PM

Nov 2013
SophiafrmAustria said:
I personally think it's the best typical harem type anime ive seen in awhile. I would place it above To Love Ru because I think the girls are more interesting and it's a lot more entertaining.

Im trying to think of other top rated harems...shuffle? I definitely think its better than since it doesnt take itself so seriously.

1. Date a live
2. Rosario vampire
3. Sekirei
Well there are some better harems than that here are some
1.High School DxD
2.Oda Nobunaga No Yabou
3.The World God ONnly Knows
4.Infinite Stratos
5.Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka
If I were to put it in order it would be
1.High School DxD
2.Infinite Stratos
3.Oda Nobunaga No Yabou
4.TWGOK
5.Kore wa zombie
6.Date A Live
as there is no competition as there are just 4 people in his harem and there not fighting over him unlike these 5 but it might get better in the future
Jun 13, 2020 2:23 AM

Aug 2018
its pretty good for a harem anime

Feb 3, 2021 10:05 PM

Nov 2019
I think it had the potential to be one of the best harem shows. But due to the author focussing on only certain parts of the story, the rest of the story gets mediocre. The girls are really interesting because of their various traits but they aren't always given focus or depth. Kurumi is more aggressive in expressing her character, making her a standout. It also makes sense that she's one of the earliest conceptualized characters by the author. Shido is my favorite harem protagonist after reading parts of the LN, but doubt the anime will succeed in portraying him that nicely.
Even the plot portion of DAL, which is awesome (Origami Arc) gets some rude pacing and mediocre animation. One arc gets adapted in a single episode! Yeah, potential wasted.

The only thing DAL has going for it thus, are character designs and godly soundtrack. I love many small things within the show, but I don't think the casuals (maximum population of harem anime watchers) would care.

So, DxD truimphs on DAL on both anime and most parts of novel. Rosario to Vampire doesn't come close to even good as an anime, but it's manga (especially season 2) is better than most content in DAL. I don't care about Infinite Stratos.

DAL required a depth and flair that was too much to ask for... Like in Symphogear. And so it falls somewhere in the upper middle tier as a harem show. It's never a successful harem if half of the audience says "Hey that's a mid show, but I only watch it because Kurumi".
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Feb 3, 2021 10:50 PM

Sep 2018
Not that high, just finished it. 6/10. Had to turn my brain off to somewhat enjoy the ride. Cute characters, lame MC and a weird story. I also like a little more ecchi in my harems.
Jun 12, 2021 3:14 PM

Dec 2019
Ai Yori Aoshi is better than this; I don't understand why MAL users have bad taste by rating Ai Yori Aoshi lower than Date a Live.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 11, 2013

205 by winddevil1 »»
May 11, 3:50 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2013

275 by WolfManZylo »»
May 9, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

323 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 5, 6:23 AM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

182 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 5, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

175 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 5, 5:22 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.