Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 8, 2013 6:26 AM

Jan 2013
erika4dsl said:
I found it to be very boring lol.
I'm dropping this anime.

Try climbing on a high place and ask loudly about who actually cares.
Oct 8, 2013 6:52 AM

Apr 2010
I have been looking forward to this anime, it's the one i have been looking forward to most this year i have been reading to manga for two years now and i really like it.
This episode was great some differences with the manga but not much, the art style was also nice the characters looked a bit blocky at times but those are minor details.
Iori's character came out nicely this episode and i hope it stays that way, also looking forward on how the other characters turned out.

Oct 8, 2013 7:58 AM

Jul 2013
Interesting concept, annoying MC.. typical bland dude who's "special" for no apparent reason. Why can't it be someone who's chosen by merit? it always has to be like "I'm special because my father/mother/sibling is special". I'm willing to bet this guy is also extremely dense.

I can't believe they're able to make a naval battle with otherworldly ships so boring (like how the fuck do you do that?)
MoeGodOct 8, 2013 8:01 AM
Oct 8, 2013 8:04 AM

Mar 2012
just started watching Upotte and now I'm watching this;
so now there are chicks that are guns and chicks that are warships

so far not bothered by CG; this anime could be interesting
Oct 8, 2013 8:38 AM
Nov 2012
I have been waiting for this for a long time and it is the only anime that I have actually lost patience and read the Manga before hand. So yeah as a long time Naval enthusiast (longer than me liking anime), what do I think......What the hack, World War 2 ship as girls, it's effing amazing!!!

Now lets not let my overly obssesed warship mind to get into the way and being overrly bisaed, the flash back part was abit too stiff and swift and the the speed at which Gunzou accepted the fact that he is joining the fog ship went a little too fast( he didn't even hasitate). The character interaction felt heavily scripted, of course it did but theres no Natural flow throu it and even the ships are more natural than the Human.

That said, the first 10 minutes of the show and I can already tell where are the strong point, the Battles. It's effing amazing and thou since I have read the Manga and knew what was going to happen, the anime just add a little more Drama that even I didn't expect, the CG comes to light at the unique and colourful way the weapons exploded, and the sound effect is spectacular. Having been looking and looking at ships(mainly, cruiser, Battleships and Aircraft Carrier) I can tell the CG of the ship, thou not supremely detailed, is extreemy accurate even thou they are hiding weapons not even dreamed of by their real life World War 2 counterparts(Vertical Launch System was introduce in the late 80s on the 2nd batck of Ticonderoga clas guided cruiser).

The all so worrying CG dosen't seem to bother me, its not like Evangelion where ,thou nice, its extremely out of place. Honestly, I have waiting for a very long time for an anime to replace my war weapon fetish since Girls und Panzer, this thou much more serious show, seems to do the trick.

Now wheres my Tsundere Heavy Cruiser!!!
Oct 8, 2013 8:41 AM

Apr 2013
watched almost all the new anime this season, this anime is pretty much given me some interest, usually I go for spice of life/harem/love story/comedy to give some relaxation. but who doesn't want a girl battleships fighting each other lol
Oct 8, 2013 9:00 AM
Nov 2012
Khalan3 said:
just started watching Upotte and now I'm watching this;
so now there are chicks that are guns and chicks that are warships

so far not bothered by CG; this anime could be interesting

The difference between Upoote and Aoki Hagane is the fact that Upotte, the girls aare gun for no apperent reason and the characteristic of the girls are moulded after the guns. In Aoki Hagane, the interesting thing is that the girls are born out if the ship system and represent the ship persona, born as weapons and having almost ZERO emotion (Maya heavy cruiser aside). the reason for this is yet unknown (even in the manga).
Oct 8, 2013 9:08 AM

Feb 2013
i want to fuck the loli submarine.
battleships shoud be sunk and scraped.
Oct 8, 2013 9:43 AM

Apr 2008
Natsu12345 said:
silvver said:

it's moe warships? can't you do better?

This. I have 1 major problem with this show, and 1 minor one.

The thing I hated the most is how they sexualize females. You can clearly see that they deliberately show the females' boobs and asses, in the ED sequence, and they just HAD TO MAKE THOSE SHIPS "female". We can never call male and female on equal ground, just based on that. How sad.

One minor problem is, how come the fleet consists of only children? They're the MC Gunzou dude's classmates, aren't they? Well that's not much of a problem, if they would just explain to us why did they betray humanity, I mean the rest of the crew.

The premise alone would probably work, but they just had to add in so many females for fanservices' sake, as some insurance. Sigh. I just hope that they don't make all the Mental Model females, for equality's sake

Hahahahaha that's the best joke I ever heard....wait you are joking aren't you?
Oct 8, 2013 9:57 AM
Nov 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Natsu12345 said:
silvver said:

The thing I hated the most is how they sexualize females. You can clearly see that they deliberately show the females' boobs and asses, in the ED sequence, and they just HAD TO MAKE THOSE SHIPS "female". We can never call male and female on equal ground, just based on that. How sad.

One minor problem is, how come the fleet consists of only children? They're the MC Gunzou dude's classmates, aren't they? Well that's not much of a problem, if they would just explain to us why did they betray humanity, I mean the rest of the crew.

The premise alone would probably work, but they just had to add in so many females for fanservices' sake, as some insurance. Sigh. I just hope that they don't make all the Mental Model females, for equality's sake

Hahahahaha that's the best joke I ever heard....wait you are joking aren't you?

i hope it is, but honestly, it is good that there are people that are fed up with the constantr fan-service the anime industry have been providing. But to take it out on this? than what makes show like Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai and Kill la Kill(She is not weaing any armor!!) or perhapse almost every other anime show that have been out there for the past 5 years.

Oct 8, 2013 11:55 AM

Nov 2012
Well that was stiff and boring, going to drop unfortunately, anyway, good luck to the rest of you that'll be watching hope you enjoy it where I couldn't.

Oct 8, 2013 11:56 AM

Apr 2008
Orevataf said:
Well that was stiff and boring, going to drop unfortunately, anyway, good luck to the rest of you that'll be watching hope you enjoy it where I couldn't.

After One episode. Meh You'll be back once people start talking about the epic stuff
Oct 8, 2013 12:04 PM

Jun 2013
Full CG warship and loli-submarine action?

Well, I guess everyone needs this kind of series once in a while.
Oct 8, 2013 12:16 PM

Feb 2008
Even thought it just going to be 12 episodes, the quality seem pretty good already.
The CGs is awesome and the character it's good too. :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Oct 8, 2013 12:17 PM

Feb 2008
You say everything I want to say haha :)

iLostReason said:
Ok, that was awesome (i wonder how many times did i say it this season?).I was a little bit worried that i might enjoy it less because of the CGI, but its better than i imagined!.Interesting characters, nice OST, battle animations are epic, and most important, THAT setting.Always wanted to watch some anime which is centered around battleship fights.Of course i can't forget about Nano OP as well, which was amazing.

Pretty much 8/10 for now.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Oct 8, 2013 12:24 PM

Mar 2013
Didn't really like it, going to put it on-hold!
Oct 8, 2013 1:37 PM

Aug 2012
I can't stand anime that are animated mostly in CG, so will be dropping this sadly :/
Oct 8, 2013 1:51 PM
Nov 2010
Whilst I can stand faces and things looking off, some of the animation are just so bad it kills off the character. Prime example is the ending (soon to be opening?) sequence - Takao and Kongo's movements there are just..bad and with Kongo, so very un-Kongo like.
Oct 8, 2013 2:05 PM

Apr 2011
Natsu12345 said:
silvver said:

-For minor problem: What exactly is your definition of children? Because with exception of Shizuka (glassed girl) they are around 19 years old, which makes them adult in some countries, and even in these where not it hardly can be called children.

-For major problem: Gender of ships is cultural, all ships are "females".In English, Japanese, even in my own language. That's how it is and manga provide several strong male characters as well, though I am not sure if anime will use any of them.

- Thing you hated most: Yes I agree, I hated it too and think this and effort make girls look "Moe" (and some other anime only flaws) puts it's original work into bad light.
Tenzen12Oct 8, 2013 2:15 PM
Oct 8, 2013 2:15 PM

May 2011
My little submarine can't be this cute! - That's what I was thinking during the episode. This show is awesomesauce. Almost as good as manga (which I started reading because of pretty covers of volumes :P and battleships... I love battleships) 3D was perfect. OP is good too. :) 10/10 for me.

Also there is explained in the manga why mental models are females.

What I'm really waiting for is...
Oct 8, 2013 2:49 PM

Dec 2009
Interesting first episode. The CGI didn't bother me much except that the characters looked really stiff at some points.

Nice OP and great BGM.

4/5
Oct 8, 2013 3:15 PM

Aug 2011
Woah the CGI in this show is really awful.. the characters looks so damn dull.
But it seems pretty interesting nonetheless.
Oct 8, 2013 4:08 PM

Sep 2012
So many good anime this season OMG
Oct 8, 2013 5:15 PM

Jan 2011
I didn't mind the CGI as much as I thought I would, so far its off to a great start.

Dat Nano OP <3
[center]
Oct 8, 2013 6:29 PM

Jun 2012
I hate CG >:( but this does seem somewhat interesting so I may stay with it, I doubt it though; I really hate CG. Also it was a nice surprise at the end when I heard nano.
Oct 8, 2013 6:32 PM

Mar 2012
Recently this season I have stopped rating anime based on the first episode and changing it depending on the ending, I am now reserving my rating till the end... that being said I expect great things from this anime and hope that it doesn't fail to please... I'd say this episode was a great opener to the anime and is at least a 4.5/5
Oct 8, 2013 7:54 PM
Jan 2013
CG was a little crappy but won't change my opinion of the show really. I kinda liked it, moe warships are great
._.
Oct 8, 2013 8:21 PM

May 2013
nice story, but why CGI , - -''
Oct 8, 2013 8:31 PM

Jul 2012
that op, Nano <3
Oct 8, 2013 8:34 PM

Aug 2013
wow! it's like watching an anime version of Kantai Collection hahaha cool!
Oct 8, 2013 9:26 PM

Apr 2008
The main character's military career must sucks.
Stuck being Sergeant Chihaya for all his life. Cruel father

*truly understand that the kanji and reading is different, but still sounds close enough*

Natsu12345 said:
The betrayal they have done so far seems to be taking away i-401 and holding the only Fog Fleet weaponries available to human. It's not like they launched attacks or threaten mankind (outside of having that firepower).
CMIIW
nseikaOct 8, 2013 9:31 PM
Oct 8, 2013 11:16 PM

Dec 2007
erika4dsl said:
I found it to be very boring lol.
I'm dropping this anime.

One less person to seek attention with more for me and others to enjoy :D
EuroSubstanceOct 8, 2013 11:21 PM
Oct 8, 2013 11:20 PM

Dec 2007
Natsu12345 said:
silvver said:

I had a good laugh out of this. Best joke on MAL after all the CGI whining bits.

Ships are also considered female through tradition so can't argue with something like that. We can't have sexual equality as a human species because people keep trying to push the whole "equality" non-sense that turns things dramatic while trying to sound intelligent. The best thing to do is just act yourself while ignoring the whole "equality drama" bit. Allow the female ships to be female ships.

Just watch the show and have fun with it. Yes, CGI is troublesome but it is tolerable enough that you can enjoy the show.
Oct 9, 2013 12:01 AM

Apr 2013
story seems somewhat interesting, kinda like if the characters from Upotte!! were playing out the plot from Eureka 7...

but the cg ruins it for me. it seems to range from distracting to "i want to stab my brain via eye sockets".

don't know if i will drop 'cuz like i said the story is interesting. we'll have to see if the story is good enough to counter balance the visual donkey punch i get from the cg animation
Oct 9, 2013 1:44 AM

Oct 2012
I hear Nano as ED singer.

ANIME OF THE YEAR.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Oct 9, 2013 2:21 AM
Jun 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2uqpqrYmMY

They got Nano to make a song dedicated to Arpeggio, but they use CGI? Is it that bad?
Oct 9, 2013 2:27 AM

Jul 2013
The quality of CGI is damaging to the soul, but it's not too bad and gave me a laugh or two (even if non-intentional).
One day we will come upon each other, and for that day my claws, teeth, ears, hands and hair are at the ready.
Oct 9, 2013 5:09 AM

Oct 2009
Despite the CG model flaws (I believe they can do better on the modelling, the 'NPC' is so poorly designed), the character movement is still believable and quite fluid. The premise of the show is quite interesting, especially on the concept of the ship having consciousness and humanoid avatar.

Of course it is not the first anime to pull that act (even a 'yuri' show Kashimashi did it quite convincingly), but to put those ships onto battle was like a battle royale with moe anthropomorphism.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 9, 2013 6:29 AM

Oct 2009
So everything is CG? The main cast CG was fine, others were yucky :|
Those are some sexy ships :)!

I liked it, will watch it through. Nice OP.
Oct 9, 2013 6:35 AM

Feb 2013
I am actually not a big SciFi fan but this new series ist just sweet! *_*

Love the animation a lot .. even though I didn't like it the first couple of minutes (since I usually don't watch such kind of animes) and already wanted to drop the anime but then ... THEN ... you simply need to endure that and focus on the story ... especially the animation during combat scenes ist just nice ... looking forward how this show will turn out, looks quite promising though :]
Oct 9, 2013 8:45 AM

Dec 2011
Whoa, I am good with CG... but I didn't expect this anime will use full CG, even for the people.

Kinda cliched since the machine activated with just a touch, like IS and other anime I can't remember. I guess will watch to see more military might.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2013 9:19 AM
Jan 2013
Man, I'd never understand why them creators decided to make them Fog Ships look like WW2 Japanese Imperial navy vessels.
Oct 9, 2013 9:38 AM

Mar 2008
It seems like I was right to presume, that many individuals that will watch this anime is going to have some sort of issue of the CGI animation of this anime. I mean machine doll only had a little CGI, there was even remorse to dislike the anime. I find the story interesting and seemingly reminds like a sort of Pacific Rim without the robots, but more with the naval battle and fighting an unknown entity. So far, for a first episode it the battles are fun to watch, the story seems interesting, and the transition of scenes seems to blend well. I'll look forward to the next episode, since this anime going to battles,battles,battles. You sunk my loli battleship!!!!
Oct 9, 2013 12:00 PM

Jan 2008
The most cheap CGI I have ever seen. Drop rate is high because the lvl to get eye cancer is high.
Oct 9, 2013 1:31 PM

Jul 2012
Can't watch... CG characters just too distracting...
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Oct 9, 2013 3:08 PM

Jan 2013
I'm waiting for the 501st Joint Fighter Wing to fly in and save the day...
Oct 9, 2013 3:30 PM

Jul 2012
Not bad, I enjoyed it.
Oct 9, 2013 6:57 PM

Dec 2010
Strongly reminds me of code geass
Oct 10, 2013 12:36 AM

Nov 2009
so a battleship anime, interesting setting
Oct 10, 2013 12:43 AM

Oct 2012
CGI is awesome for battles so it suites this story well. The only thing I'm worried about was the movements, it's unnatural for most parts like walking, turning, and such. Despite all that I think it's good, animation-wise. And those ships are so fucking cute. I'd give a +10 for the charm.

PS: The moment I heard the ending I was so sure this was nano. HORRAAAH! Been performing theme songs for a couple of 2013 anime now. Good for her, not to mention that voice is appropriate for action anime like this one.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2013

124 by djharvey »»
Jun 13, 2020 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.