Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 3, 2013 2:06 AM
Jul 2013
For a while now, or rather, a long while, the top 5 Anime on MAL haven't changed much. But in a mere three days, what is supposed to be Key's greatest visual novel/story ever made is launching, even if it is in the hands of J.C Staff.

So what do you think? And will you participate in watching it?

Mod Edit:
Please use spoiler tags for VN spoilers!
LunaOct 4, 2013 11:09 PM
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2013 2:08 AM

Sep 2012
Yes, because I believe in it
Oct 3, 2013 2:15 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Possible.
Hard to say, but After Story's 4th and Refrain's generally seen as better source material at least so why not. All depends on how well the adaptation will go.

I'm gonna say that you should expect it to reach quite that high, but it's definitely not out of the question either. First season wasn't exactly as good as Clannad's was but I wouldn't completely give up on it yet.
HaXXspettenOct 3, 2013 4:01 AM
Oct 3, 2013 2:18 AM

Aug 2012
After seeing the hype killer of JC Staff's Little Busters, there's little doubt in my mind that this isn't gonna happen.
Oct 3, 2013 2:23 AM

Apr 2013
Well, nothing is impossible. I mean if Toradora! got rated so high (even though is pretty mediocre, at least for me) then this might have a shot as well.

Oct 3, 2013 2:25 AM

Jun 2013
I doubt it, the Top 5 never changes.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Oct 3, 2013 2:30 AM
Jul 2013
Wow the poll is even
Oct 3, 2013 2:32 AM

Jun 2013
DramaEnthusiast said:
Wow the poll is even

Not anymore!
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Oct 3, 2013 2:36 AM

Sep 2012
Maria_Sama said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Wow the poll is even

Not anymore!

Now it is!
Oct 3, 2013 2:39 AM
Mar 2011
its a late night anime what you think its going be popluar on mal
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 3, 2013 2:40 AM

Sep 2012
If they follow the VN and assassinate fire the sound director and JC staff gets their shit together.
This is going to turn into a Clannad vs LB! war again isn't it.

EDIT: Going by the first season's score, anime viewers who haven't played the VN are most likely going to vote no.
egnaro15Oct 3, 2013 2:46 AM
Oct 3, 2013 2:40 AM

Mar 2010
> J.C.

It most likely wouldn't even be on Top 100 let alone Top 5.
Oct 3, 2013 3:08 AM

Mar 2012
Top 50 is the save bet.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 3, 2013 3:22 AM

Apr 2012
Depends on how well the adaptation ends up.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Oct 3, 2013 3:35 AM

Apr 2009
Sadly, JC Staff is at the helm.
Oct 3, 2013 4:18 AM

Jun 2012
Well, with all of the hype SnK had, it's in the top 10. (Currently at number 9) So, with the amount of hype Little Busters Refrain has, which is smaller than SnK by a lot, it probably won't even make it to the top 20. But who knows.
Oct 3, 2013 4:54 AM
May 2010
If it was as good as the actual VN, quite easily, but lets not kid our selves it does not stand a chance.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 3, 2013 4:58 AM

Oct 2012
It probably won't.

You'd have to consider the fact that since this is a visual novel adaptation (and a JC Staff one at that), the end product will always be inferior to the source material. Hitting top 5 is definitely a no-go.

The first season was also not that great, statistic-wise.
Oct 3, 2013 5:06 AM

Mar 2012
DateYutaka said:
Irrelevant
Oct 3, 2013 5:11 AM

Aug 2011
This'll be number 2 anime of all time, some way behind Inferno Cop, and slightly ahead of The iDOLM@STER.
Oct 3, 2013 5:16 AM
May 2010
mitch3315 said:
This'll be number 2 anime of all time, some way behind Inferno Cop, and slightly ahead of The iDOLM@STER.

Certainly doesn't mean everyone else is going to realize that, sadly.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 3, 2013 5:25 AM

Aug 2011
miereneronaile said:
mitch3315 said:

Some people just have inferior taste, but there are people out who do show our opinion, so it's at least comforting to know that.
Oct 3, 2013 5:58 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
No, i enjoy Little Busters, but no way
Oct 3, 2013 6:04 AM
Jan 2013
This is MAL.. come on now. But then again Gintama is rated so highly there is a possibility.
Oct 3, 2013 7:01 AM

Jun 2008
I need to be careful around the forum until refrain finish airing.
Oct 3, 2013 7:04 AM

Jun 2013
Meh, if it's anything like Clannad After Story (Number 4 on the top anime list here), I sure hope it won't get into the top five. However, maybe there's a slim chance that it will be much better than Clannad After Story, and people will change their opinions, and put it in Clannad AS's place. Bringing Clannad AS to the fifth spot, and beginning to back it down. At which point better series will keep taking its place until it is down in the 200 spot.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Oct 3, 2013 7:06 AM

Mar 2012
Also Kanon > Clannad
Oct 3, 2013 7:06 AM

Jun 2013
SaberKino said:
Also Kanon > Clannad

Marry me.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Oct 3, 2013 7:12 AM

Aug 2010
It has the potential. It's all about the execution.
Oct 3, 2013 7:22 AM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved from the anime board to Little Busters Refrain boards.
AversaOct 3, 2013 7:25 AM
Oct 3, 2013 7:35 AM

Feb 2013
Sadly, the answer is probably not. There are many factors to it, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it did though.
Part of Refrain Subs for Little Busters!: Refrain
Recently Played/Read VNS (Most Recent to Oldest):
- Da Capo
- Grisaia no Kajitsu
- ef - a fairy tale of the two
- G-senjou no Maou
- Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo & Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo (Fan Disk)
- Rewrite
- Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a shooting star-
- Clannad
- Little Busters EX!
Oct 3, 2013 7:36 AM

Jul 2013
depends how well its adapted.. it definitely has potential to be though
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Oct 3, 2013 7:55 AM

Apr 2012
If 1 cour, probably not. If 2 cours, maybe.
@inuvivo on twitter!
Oct 3, 2013 8:02 AM

Jul 2013
^^^
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Oct 3, 2013 8:05 AM

Sep 2013
Anichart on the "airing" page, says "24 episodes" so lets hope it is, maybe they got insight information from them, idk :/
Oct 3, 2013 8:15 AM

Dec 2011
xMaebaraK1x said:
Oct 3, 2013 8:28 AM

Sep 2012
If it has/had Railgun S level budget and directing it could reach the top 30 at least.
If they organize Refrain properly (pretty much how I've been hoping they'd do, giving more development to the main 5 LB before Refrain) it could be pretty high.

And the first season doesn't matter a whole lot when it comes to LB. People rate the LB VN a 10/10 because of how Refrain brought up the story overall so much.

Let's see the first episode at least, or maybe Kurugaya's route first before we can say anything.
I wouldn't doubt it being able to get higher than an 8.4 despite it being from JC Staff.

If they start out really strong with episode 1, and from Kurugaya's route, I'd be able to tell how far Little Busters will go.

Rin and Refrain (Maeda's material) is taking up a majority of the show, and it may receive more priority and better screenplay than the previous season.
Kyousuke's and the other bros' sincerity in Refrain carried the arc, and with good enough animation, they could bring meaning to the story of Little Busters!
We can't tell how much they're improving the screenplay, but if they don't keep it as lazy as the first season, it could go very far.

And
YandereTheEmo said:
Meh, if it's anything like Clannad After Story (Number 4 on the top anime list here), I sure hope it won't get into the top five...

It's a different kind of story, that's for sure, and I'm interested to see if there are people who dislike Clannad After Story who will like Refrain, because they're nothing alike, despite their endless comparisons. Refrain is a much more powerful, sincere, and unique character-driven story, and Clannad feels like a dramatized classic tragedy and magic story that had a romcom harem first season, and succeeded through its good budget and music.
I liked the good parts of Clannad but I can see why many people would find it to be manipulative.
Vladz0rOct 3, 2013 8:46 AM
Oct 3, 2013 8:30 AM

Mar 2012
Tasuku- said:
xMaebaraK1x said:
It is two cour from the get go.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 3, 2013 8:35 AM

Jul 2013
I very much doubt it. Little Busters is good and with the preview on the last episode, I hope that it ranks at least higher than the first season.
Oct 3, 2013 8:43 AM

Sep 2013
from JC Staff that did Shakugan No Shana, from all the 3 Season I watched, 2006-2012 i think? I really didnt see a differance in the animation, everything looked the same, the graphics and everything, couldnt tell a diff, So i really hope they actually did do a better job then Little Busters(1st season)
Oct 3, 2013 8:45 AM
Mar 2011
SaberKino said:
DateYutaka said:
Irrelevant

no its not its a trened you see any one can see
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 3, 2013 3:30 PM

Aug 2011
no. i'd honestly be suprised if it reaches above an 8.5 as much as i love refrain.

i don't believe in jc staff.
TL & founder of Refrain Subs.
Oct 3, 2013 3:35 PM

Sep 2011
As everyone sane has said, theres no way of telling until it happens, doesnt matter how good a source material is if the adaption doesnt do it justice and we wont know how well that will be done until its done. Just wait till it actually airs before speculating on something that lacks any indicators of how they will go other than baseless guesses
JizzyHitlerOct 3, 2013 3:39 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 3, 2013 3:36 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
DateYutaka said:
SaberKino said:
DateYutaka said:
Irrelevant

no its not its a trened you see any one can see

Late night for whom? The Earth is round you know
Oct 3, 2013 3:37 PM

Sep 2011
CamoBullo said:
I very much doubt it. Little Busters is good and with the preview on the last episode, I hope that it ranks at least higher than the first season.
it more than likley will, most of the people that disliked little busters wont bother with season 2 completely removing some negative scores leaving a majority of the viewers as only the people who liked it, that of course means more than likely it will be rated higher just from that alone, how much higher isnt something possible to predict without just guessing

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 3, 2013 4:39 PM

Sep 2011
It's certainly possible and I would love it if it happened, but no, I don't think so :(
Like everyone said, it's all gonna depend on the quality of the adaptation, plus things like if it's gonna be a 1 or 2 cour, as a 2 cour would most probably mean a waaaay better adaptation.
Oct 3, 2013 5:36 PM

Sep 2012
mitch3315 said:
miereneronaile said:
mitch3315 said:

Some people just have inferior taste, but there are people out who do show our opinion, so it's at least comforting to know that.

Hmm, so having different taste than you makes other people inferior? Nice line of logic you got right there.

Refrain will make it into someone´s top 5 if that person doesn´t get bothered by the fact that it will ALWAYS be inferior to the VN, no matter how good it is (as someone mentioned before). As for expectations, as everyone said before me, it will suck if its 1-cour, and it MAY be good if its 2-cour. No one can predict what will happen with this anime until Saturday at the very least (since we will be able to see for ourselves if the animation quality increased).

Personally, I dont think it can EVER compare to the VN, hence why my answer to the above question is: NO.
Oct 3, 2013 5:54 PM

Aug 2008
The silver trinity will remain victorious.

I mean ginta mannnn
Oct 3, 2013 5:57 PM

Sep 2012
To go with what masterfxx1 said, I think an issue is that the Little Busters VN is supposed to be a roleplaying-style VN, moreso than I think any other Key VN.
If you look for Little Busters merchandise, you won't find anything with Riki. The entire story is about everyone else and their relation to Riki, and while it's not necessarily a bad thing, it transitions differently to anime.

I think the roleplaying as the protagonist in Little Busters is what makes can make Refrain so heartbreaking, although I think the type of character Riki is and the kind of suffering JC Staff seems to be able to draw (http://i.minus.com/iqP3YAhjlvqxT.gif) COULD be the next best experience, and we can sympathize with him, but it won't be as close to an empathetic feeling we get from playing the VN.

Certain VN adaptations could exceed the original, but when you're supposed to roleplay as the protagonist, and the protagonist isn't a well-defined character in the story, and a character where you're not supposed to simply "feel what they feel" or "experience what they experience", it will work.

An example would be if there was a Saya no Uta anime adaptation. The VNhas you feel different emotions for Fuminori (MC) and he's a well defined and active character in the story that is meant to be watched, rather than roleplayed as, especially considering the kind of shit he does.

And if Little Busters was organized differently and didn't have the common route replaying, and have a condensed plot in the anime, it could be better as an anime.
As it is now, though, it would be hard to be as good.

In this case, here's a quote:
"A fake can't surpass the original" - Gilgamesh (Fate/Stay Night)

But hey, Little Busters has been a relatively obscure story, as it has been restricted to its niche VN format. Refrain could be widely appreciated by anime viewers, and JC Staff could surprise us as well with how they handle it.

hyperknees91 said:
The silver trinity will remain victorious.

I mean ginta mannnn

Only 2 out of 3 of them are in the top 5 TV series. What?
Oct 3, 2013 6:03 PM

Aug 2008
But the real answer it depends on adaption.

If FSN was adapted properly it would be...pretty high.

Though adapting FSN properly was nigh impossible without a brotherhood like budget.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

538 by PepegasLand »»
Apr 19, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

351 by FUNNYDOGE »»
Apr 13, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2013

391 by Remurst »»
Apr 9, 2:48 AM

» How good?

kam1n0 - Dec 12, 2021

21 by Donkunsan »»
Apr 2, 2023 3:39 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sycheras - Nov 9, 2013

371 by kusanagi_ZFG »»
Feb 22, 2023 10:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.