Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 22, 2013 12:13 AM
Jul 2013
Compared to EF: Tale of Memories, this one seems to get pretty bad reviews and reception, most critics saying it has sacrificed all emotion and character development for visuals.
Jul 22, 2013 12:25 AM

Jul 2013
I'd say give it a go. Disregard what critics say and just watch it to see whether you like it.
Jul 22, 2013 12:33 AM

Jul 2012
I think it's a good balance of both. The visuals complement the dialogue and the emotions; they are an integral part of what makes ef - A Tale of Memories so great. I don't know what those critics were thinking because there were plenty of character development in the show.

Just watch the first episode and see for yourself.

EDIT: Wow, okay just realized I totally misread your first sentence thinking you were talking about Memories, not Melodies. Although I haven't seen Melodies yet, it won't hurt to try an episode?
apparentlyJul 22, 2013 1:10 AM
Jul 22, 2013 1:06 AM
Jul 2013
apparently said:
I think it's a good balance of both. The visuals complement the dialogue and the emotions; they are an integral part of what makes ef - A Tale of Melodies so great. I don't know what those critics were thinking because there were plenty of character development in the show.

http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/ef-a-tale-of-melodies/
Jul 22, 2013 1:08 AM

Oct 2010
Tale Of Memories Focuses On Three Relationships, While Tale Of Melodies Focuses On Two. I Personally Loved Them Both, But Memories Was Better
Jul 22, 2013 1:09 AM
Jul 2013
Haifuuko said:
Tale Of Memories Focuses On Three Relationships, While Tale Of Melodies Focuses On Two. I Personally Loved Them Both, But Memories Was Better

was it as good as clannad? And more importantly, does it have any shockingly sad moments or not so much
Jul 22, 2013 1:18 AM

Oct 2010
DramaEnthusiast said:
Haifuuko said:

was it as good as clannad? And more importantly, does it have any shockingly sad moments or not so much

Not As Good As Clannad, But It Has Certain Parts That Could Break Your Heart.

Yup ! There Were Definitely Sad/Shocking Moments. But Those Are Towards The End. Because If I Recall Correctly, There Are Some Flashbacks And Character backgrounds Somewhere in The Beginning To Create A Bigger Impact Towards The Ending.
Jul 23, 2013 9:42 PM

May 2013
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like Ef. It just seemed so boring and stupid, sorry to hate but that's what I felt. I loved Clannad but didn't like this.
Jul 24, 2013 9:52 AM

Feb 2013
DramaEnthusiast said:
Haifuuko said:

everyone has his own opinion i must say i prefer ef over clannad
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Jul 24, 2013 6:14 PM
May 2013
Just finished Melodies today, and I have to say I didn't like it anywhere near as much as I liked Memories.
Some of the things that worked well the first time, like the dramatic monologues, seemed overblown the second time they were used, and by the second series the novelty of the artistic style was no longer novel enough to compensate for the overall poor animation.
It did have moments, but it lacked the heart and emotional impact of the first series, and the heroes were, to me at least, anything but heroic.
I gave Memories a 9 because I truly loved it, but Melodies I gave a 6 and I think it was justified.
Clannad on the other hand rated a 10 and if I could have, I would have gone higher.
Jul 26, 2013 8:47 AM

Feb 2013
Ef - a tale of Memories is very beautiful anime. It's masterpiece in my opinion. But not Melodies. It was worse. Much more drama in this series, it looks very depressing sometimes, seriously. Ending was not such beautiful like in Memories. But I still think it's good anime, although it has defects. But some people says that this is better than first season. That's issue of taste. You should give a chance for this anime.

Jul 27, 2013 2:35 PM

Jun 2011
Don't know if I'm being more or less objective, seeing that I've seen Memories more than a year and a half ago, but I really enjoyed watching Melodies after all that time. In my opinion it was a worthy sequel. And the way it was directed! I wouldn't hesitate to call it art.

So if you've liked Memories, definitely give Melodies a try. It's worth your time!
Jul 27, 2013 2:54 PM

Dec 2009
LOL ARE YOU CRAZY!? ITS SO NOT BAD!!
but it really depends on your taste genre. Its one of the best romance.
Aug 3, 2013 10:02 PM

May 2012
Honestly, I have to agree with those critics that say this show sacrificed things for the visuals. The story could have been executed a lot better imo as it did have great potential to go somewhere. If this anime wasn't so artfully done in terms of visuals and sound, I definitely would have given this anime a lower score.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Aug 3, 2013 10:04 PM

Sep 2011
DramaEnthusiast said:
apparently said:
I think it's a good balance of both. The visuals complement the dialogue and the emotions; they are an integral part of what makes ef - A Tale of Melodies so great. I don't know what those critics were thinking because there were plenty of character development in the show.

http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/ef-a-tale-of-melodies/
from what iv seen of these guys, the only people more consistently wrong than them is kotoku, half of their complaints ever make sense

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 8, 2013 6:23 AM
Feb 2013
So I just finished Yuuko's route in the VN, and I have to say that it was by far the best out of all the 5 routes, which is why I was very surprised to hear that Melodies wasn't held in very high regard by people who saw Memories.

I don't plan to watch the anime anytime soon, so can anyone who's seen both the anime and read the VN clarify the reasoning behind this outlook? Did SHAFT mess up the source material badly or something in the second season?
Aug 17, 2013 7:44 AM

Aug 2012
Not at all, it's as good as the prequel but its more sad .
Jan 5, 2014 2:15 PM

Jul 2013
Melodies is just as good as Memories, only a lot darker.

The visuals made it great, watch episode 6 of Melodies and tell me differently.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2014 2:16 PM

Jan 2008
Judge for yourself?
Jan 5, 2014 2:16 PM

Jun 2007
It's fucking stupid because AUSTRALIA.
Jan 7, 2014 5:01 PM

Aug 2008
Tennouji_Kotarou said:
So I just finished Yuuko's route in the VN, and I have to say that it was by far the best out of all the 5 routes, which is why I was very surprised to hear that Melodies wasn't held in very high regard by people who saw Memories.

I don't plan to watch the anime anytime soon, so can anyone who's seen both the anime and read the VN clarify the reasoning behind this outlook? Did SHAFT mess up the source material badly or something in the second season?

Melodies is pretty much one of the worst visual novel adaptions I've ever seen. And I mean that. It's not as bad as Umineko as it's certainly watchable. But holy crap, the characters, the development, the story...the main thing is how rediculously cheezy and over-dramatic they made the anime in comparison. It makes several scenes completely laughable. Mizuki and Yuuko's brother are utter jokes in comparison to their visual novel counterparts (all the characters suffer, but those 2 got hit the worst).

So tl;dr yes they screwed up...badly. Funny because the melodies part of the VN is miles and I mean miles ahead of the memories section.
hyperknees91Jan 7, 2014 5:15 PM
Feb 8, 2014 10:34 PM

Oct 2012
yes i thought it was bad but it depends on what you think
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 16, 2014 3:44 PM

May 2013
It's pretty good. Reviews can be helpful to get a good idea of what to expect in the show, but never let them decide whether or not a show's good for you. People have different opinions.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 16, 2014 3:49 PM

Feb 2013
I didn't watch it but I don't care about reviews made by anyone else besides me.
All that matters is that yourself like it or not.

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Oct 6, 2008

207 by Yagilla »»
May 19, 12:15 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Nov 10, 2008

191 by lucio54 »»
Dec 18, 2023 7:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aidouca - Dec 22, 2008

257 by SenpaiMY92 »»
Dec 10, 2023 7:20 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 16, 2008

87 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 8, 2008

196 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.