Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 29, 2013 10:56 PM

Jun 2012
Oh I realize there are people like this because I had social anxiety when I was growing up (albeit nowhere near as bad as Tomoko; she has an extreme case of S.A) but I got tired of it and forced myself to change
HybridMBLJul 29, 2013 11:12 PM
Jul 30, 2013 12:04 AM
Mar 2011
Whether or not someone can relate to Tomoko or not or not highly depends on the environment around him/her. A person can be socially awkward and have people rebuke/make fun of him/her, or they may brush it off and keep their thoughts to themselves. From what I've observed from this anime, the environment Tomoko is in, the people around her, do not seem to harshly outright insult her(except for maybe 1 or 2 occasions, E.G. the scene in the fast food burger place, but not directly). Despite this, she continues to ridicule people in her head(which is fine, since a lot of people do the same thing), however this shows how much she resents the people around her, simply due to her feeling of inadequacy, which is understandable, i guess. She also keeps her negative thoughts to herself, so it is not really a problem.

I think its odd that often her actions contradict her goal-to become popular(or at least that's what it seems to be). She constantly finds a way to skip school despite her goal of becoming popular(lack of courage, motivation?). She has ambivalent feelings about socializing; at one moment she wants to be popular, then the next moment-after a mishap-she detests wanting to socialize and has negative thoughts about the people around her(and often times herself). But really I don't think she wants to truly be popular; she just wants someone to be a friend at her school

Overall I don't think she's a bad person/has a bad personality at all. However, I find it unfortunate that she just isn't fitting in at all. It's really hard to talk to the people around you when they don't have similar interests. She seemed to talk very easily with Yuu-chan in the coffe shop because they both like anime.
excellionxJul 30, 2013 12:31 AM
Jul 30, 2013 2:36 AM
Dec 2009
woland_ said:
fishergirl16 said:

If it's stupid, then why would those so-called people who dislike being with others enjoy watching anime that glorifies relationships between people? Not just shoujo manga/anime, all genres of anime almost always focus on relationships between people. If someone really hated being around people, then why would they watch shows like these?

wait a sec, the fact that they don't enjoy staying with people doesn't mean that they wouldn't like to be able to enjoy staying with people (like those anime characters do)

What do you mean???

Jul 30, 2013 3:20 AM

Jun 2012
Because they are not out in the open
Jul 30, 2013 8:33 AM

Jan 2012
Redfoxoffire said:
I facepalm at everyone saying Tomoko is just a bitch with a bad personality and that's why she doesn't have any friends. None of you know what you're talking about.

Think about if you weren't hearing any of her thoughts. She would just look like a normal quiet girl who isn't good at talking to others. That's the thing: anything about her that makes you call her a bad person is all in her head. How many times did she verbalize any of the mean thoughts going through her head? Has she ever pissed anyone off (brother aside)?

I bet none of you realize how judgmental every person in the world is every single day. It's just a little different when you're being given someone else's perspective, because now it's not yourself you're criticizing. I mean, you've all proven my point already. You're judging her as a bad person for what goes on in her head. Think about it. Think about when you're standing in line at a store and you can hear the person at the front arguing with the clerk. Think about when the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn't move, or when someone cuts you off. Even among friends or in class, think about when someone says they like something you think is terrible, like Justin Bieber or Sword Art Online.

Also, she's a high schooler. High schooler's are like this more than most.

Yes, I have been very judgmental in this post.

This ^^^^^!!!!!

I honestly think for her to be a bitch, she would have to say the type of stuff, she thinks out loud, than all of you calling her a bitch would be right.

I also think some of you are taking this anime, way to seriously. x
Aug 1, 2013 12:37 AM

Jun 2008
Deadnalive said:

The most wise sentence here.
It seems there are lot of lonely people with frustrations here that decide to go all psychoanalysts on our ass because of a black comedy anime.
If it steers you so much then watch something easier already. Personally am just laughing my ass off and enjoying the fun voice acting and inner dialogs.
Aug 1, 2013 12:52 AM

Jul 2013
But we do realize. But this
Deadnalive said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 1, 2013 2:39 AM

May 2013
Everyone is a fucking psychologist on the internet.

Just because you went through 'shit' doesn't mean you're experienced enough to lecture people. Stop throwing those psychological BS terms around and enjoy the anime as it is, there's no need to complicate things. This is a fucking comedy for God's sake, it's meant to be laughed at. By applying your mediocre knowledge on psychology you're ruining it and you're misinforming people as well. Enough of this Freudian/Jungian nonsense.

People should stop seeking sympathy by telling others about their self-diagnosed disorders.
Aug 1, 2013 4:37 AM

Jun 2008
God forbid people relate to a character that has similar issues to them.

I don't see anyone trying to act like a psychologist either. Just people like me who have similar issues to Tomoko trying to explain things to people who don't. Also it's rude as hell to assume someone with a mental disorder just self- diagnosed themselves and isn't being serious about it.
Aug 1, 2013 6:16 AM

Feb 2013
When people try to conform to what they can not, they turn to Tomoko Kuroko.
Titan of 20+ virgins club.
Aug 1, 2013 10:30 AM

Jul 2013
There are people in real life who are unpopular, shy or weird but this anime is exaggerated to make it more funny for the viewers. I'm pretty sure no one would be sweating and mumbling when they re trying to order a burger from McDonald's no matter how shy they are.
God dammit Eren!!
Aug 1, 2013 12:35 PM

Jun 2008
lunaloop said:
There are people in real life who are unpopular, shy or weird but this anime is exaggerated to make it more funny for the viewers. I'm pretty sure no one would be sweating and mumbling when they re trying to order a burger from McDonald's no matter how shy they are.

Actually people like that do exist. It's called having social anxiety disorder.
Aug 1, 2013 1:32 PM

Jun 2013
lunaloop said:

Oh no, there are definitely people like that. I would know. I've gotten better at it, but I used to be so terrified of ordering food that I would make my friends order for me, or I just wouldn't eat.
Aug 6, 2013 6:12 PM
Jul 2012
Appel_stroop said:
I just think Tomoko is hilarious, she's easy to laugh at and makes me feel better about myself for being able to socialize like a regular human being.
I'm sure there's alot of people in real life like her and I frankly don't care, they serve the same purpose to me as Tomoko does, a quick and easy laugh.

This. I actually understand why people are like this because I see and sorta act like this before, but what makes it completely different is now I can talk in some conversations , not act like just like her in school,and not like what is she saying in episodes. Also, not as ugly like her.
LegendGoldDarkAug 6, 2013 6:33 PM
Aug 7, 2013 5:10 AM

Mar 2010
I see that saying "I'm exactly like Tomoko!" is really popular nowa... Wait a minute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2013 6:34 AM
Feb 2013
Because there are people like that?
Aug 7, 2013 8:17 AM
Aug 2013
I read this thread and explicitly made an account just to share my two cents.

For those that are a bit miffed by Tomoko's hatred of everyone, I can provide some relatable experiences.

As a smaller child, I basically became an intense bookworm to the extent where you could say I socially crippled myself. During middle school, I harbored a misanthropic hatred of all, and looking back, I deduce that it was compensating for an overwhelming self hatred for my own deficiencies. No matter how nice someone could be, I had convinced myself that it was all a ruse, that I was a joke, it was a prank, and so on.

Basically, I personally think that Tomoko's inner cruel thoughts are merely hinting at compensation in a similar manner.

Living by yourself, alone, with only family members, you begin to place all the blame others, because to accept blame yourself, for such a solitary individual, would shatter that individual's world, possibly creating suicidal desires and/or an intense depression.

Take it from someone who did end up accepting the blame. In all honesty, I became a husk of who I was, shutting myself up in my room with nothing but the glow of a tv and the feel of a game controller in my hand, having given up to what seemed like an inevitable, miserable, lonely end.

Tomoko has no choice but to blame others for her issues, because if she accepts the blame before she is ready, she might very well splinter apart and give in to her own end.

Heh, but this is all just conjecture formed by the experiences of an 18 year old dude, so if you don't agree, feel free to say so.
Aug 8, 2013 11:17 PM

Jan 2011
I'm pretty sure everyone has had some exposure or degree to social insecurity or anxiety at some point in their life.

But of course we don't assume, know, or act like that is the case outright towards people who might have that because that would go against the dictations of society of boundaries; to be seemingly unpolite potentially prying into someone else's business. (or at least that is the excuse)

So we all act like we don't care or pretend not to notice people who have these issues.

I find Tomoko really realistic in some ways. How she is able to act normally outside with Yuu to how she stumbles ordering from the fast food counter.

Of course I don't think many people fall on their faces after messing up their grande size coffee. XD
Which is why I love this show.
Aug 9, 2013 1:54 AM

Jul 2008
Onibokusu said:
Watamote is to anime as The Big Bang Theory is to sitcoms.

Ew no.
Aug 9, 2013 3:55 AM

Sep 2009
I feel social anxiety is correct, but there's more to it. It's about trying to force yourself to fit into a world where you don't have to, but is require for superficial reasons that play into a much larger scheme of things. Watamote comically explores various situations where a clear ideal situation is aimed for but of course she fails miserably. The brilliance in this is that it never continues to explore these situation, it's a sad sad laugh and we move on. Which might be very well a large theme of this Anime that we the audience can draw upon.
Aug 11, 2013 5:31 AM

Sep 2011
Aug 13, 2013 12:03 PM
Aug 2013
I feel like not many people understand Tomoko. I'm also one of those secluded people, just like her (just not to that extreme). One of the reasons I like this anime, is because I am able to relate to her by about an 80%.

Anyway, I don't feel like Tomoko is a bitch at all, however the reason of me being secluded is because of my disability. Now, I know Tomoko doesn't have one, but I understand her anger towards everyone because even in real life people won't talk with you if you're different than everyone else. I didn't really realize my thoughts were that pathetic until I started watching Watamote and saw this from a different perspective. Lol, everytime I finish an episode, I feel depressed, as I feel I'm seeing my own life on screen. I wanted to say more, but I'll elaborate later.
Aug 13, 2013 12:55 PM

Jul 2010
Open-Dice said:
Why?

BECAUSE THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH
Aug 13, 2013 4:48 PM

Dec 2012
I'm almost just like her. Only difference is that I'm not that paranoid.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Aug 13, 2013 5:09 PM

Feb 2013
Yeah, I am like her but I don't care about what people think
Aug 14, 2013 5:23 AM
Dec 2009
Shyxx said:

Atta Girl (or Boy)!!!

Aug 17, 2013 4:08 PM

May 2013
It disturbs me that I can relate to Tomoko on some levels.
Aug 18, 2013 6:52 AM

Oct 2012
Because Tomoko's rarity par with legendary pokemon? xD
The_Mad_Wizard said:
Open-Dice said:
Why?

Because the world shall know pain
Lol

Chompski said:
Open-Dice said:
Why?

BECAUSE THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH

No, they can but they don't want

Peten00b said:
I'm almost just like her. Only difference is that I'm not that paranoid.
Shyxx said:

Hello there miss-fit.. xD

LordLagann said:
I feel social anxiety is correct, but there's more to it. It's about trying to force yourself to fit into a world where you don't have to, but is require for superficial reasons that play into a much larger scheme of things. Watamote comically explores various situations where a clear ideal situation is aimed for but of course she fails miserably. The brilliance in this is that it never continues to explore these situation, it's a sad sad laugh and we move on. Which might be very well a large theme of this Anime that we the audience can draw upon.

Ok that's so deep.. What you said is almost approved by Hikki xD
"Signature removed"
Aug 20, 2013 5:16 AM

May 2012
Submissive_Smile said:
this show is like reliving my early teenage years but as a girl.

Pretty much the same for me xD
Aug 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Jun 2013
Just want to type it out, no particular reason. It's a bit heavy, apologies as it is a habit of mine.

Sep 30, 2013 6:23 AM

Apr 2009
They realize, but what does knowing change?

When you start playing an online game, you realize you are a noob. That doesn't change the fact and make you pro.

People don't have comunication skills, and are afraid to try and fail.
I was the same, and needed years to build selfconfidence.

Watching my life animated >_< feel your pain Tomoko
Sep 30, 2013 8:33 AM

Jun 2013
There are, since in my middle school I used to act exactly like her. And I'm afraid I was even less talkative in my class.And trying even harder. I could stand infront of someone whole 30 minutes break, smiling hystericially and thinking "OK! I'll say... hi! Or maybe... hello! Nononono, that's maybe not too polite, and they'll be mad at me... Maybe I should touch his shoulder and just smile, and he'll say something instead of me... But I can't smile! That would be too brave, and [...] Oh damn, the bell is ringing. Ok, I'll try on another break...." and whole school year looked like this. That was pretty horrible, so I couldnt really laugh at Tomoko, I was rather hoping for something good to happen to her. But nothing really did. I hope there will be another season, where she actually somehow gets over herself ;A;
Paws paws paws paws paws paws paws
Neko Neko Paws
Paws is what I like
I'm a paws obsessed person, I could look at kitties' paws all my lifetime.
Sep 30, 2013 4:45 PM

Nov 2012
I can totally relate to her. This show and character deserve more love.
Sep 30, 2013 8:42 PM
Jul 2018
Wow - I didn't even know I didn't realize it!
I thought I realized there were dysfunctional people in the world, but I judging by the thread title, I guess I don't. Now I do... I think.
Sep 30, 2013 9:01 PM
Aug 2011
Negative-Travis said:
XboxOmac said:
There are people like this...

I don't know why, though. :

It's called "social anxiety", and most everybody has it to a certain degree.

Watamote is just a comically-extreme example.

That is self-concious feeling you say everybody has. Social phobia is not something everbody has it to a degree because there is no between.
Oct 1, 2013 12:09 AM
Apr 2010
AO968 said:
Open-Dice said:
Negative-Travis said:
XboxOmac said:

But it's not "comically-extreme". That's what I meant by the topic title. It isn't exaggerated in any way.

Indeed.

And she's apparently not even the worst case out there, from what I've been told.

Agreed that it's not just a comical extreme, I heavily relate to her without exaggerating. Other than a few specifics, she reminds me of myself in so, so many ways.
Oct 1, 2013 12:15 AM

Aug 2013
Adramelech said:
Negative-Travis said:
XboxOmac said:

That is self-concious feeling you say everybody has. Social phobia is not something everbody has it to a degree because there is no between.
As opposed to what?

I feel like "phobia" is a word we give for scared or sheltered people.
Oct 1, 2013 12:40 AM

May 2012
I thank raptor jesus everyday for not cursing me with this thing.
Oct 1, 2013 6:51 AM
Aug 2011
Aeroxygen said:
Adramelech said:
Negative-Travis said:
XboxOmac said:

As opposed to what?

I feel like "phobia" is a word we give for scared or sheltered people.

Social phobia is the synonym for social anxiety disorder but people tend to think they are socially anxious even in little cases of shyness. So, I prefer to call it social phobia.
Actually, people who suffer from it are scared to participate in social acts, even scared of doing thing on their own in the crowded areas.
Nov 12, 2014 11:59 AM
Jun 2011
I'm pretty sure ppl do realize there are ppl like this. Heck I saw a few ppl come out about having anxieties.I think that's a credit to the show. Basically the point is "hey ppl like this exist around you, you just don't notice them" the show presents everything exaggerated & over the top cause thats close to how they see's the world. ultimately its a way to make it sink in better.

Also I don't think the idea ruins the show. I don't remember ppl complaining about Welcome to the NHK & ppl like the characters in that show also exist in real life.
Apr 12, 2015 6:12 AM
Aug 2013
It's a while since I watched this (and I only watched half of it), but I thought that she was fairly normal. If she were someone I met in secondary school, I'd probably just not care about her. People don't realize that there are people I don't care about because it's difficult to imagine people not caring about oneself. At least, it takes conscious effort to have that level of understanding (effort I try to put in).
May 5, 2015 4:46 AM

Apr 2015
tomoko is just like me ;__; but yes atleast I do have few friends at school...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2015 1:59 AM
Sep 2015
I would go out with a girl like that
Sep 10, 2015 2:00 AM
Sep 2015
Is there any like her out there for me to go out with?
Jan 12, 2017 12:35 PM

Jul 2015
999 said:
Onibokusu said:
Watamote is to anime as The Big Bang Theory is to sitcoms.

Couldn't agree more.

No way...The Big Bang Theory was mostly like Genshiken than any other anime series, and really was nothing like Watamote!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.