Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 6, 2013 8:28 AM

Jun 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
he died like a warrior in battle.

10/10 another masterpiece added to my anime collection.

Feb 1, 2014 10:03 PM

May 2008
What an epic series. That was such a great fight, I'm so depress right now.
Feb 18, 2014 12:22 PM

Apr 2011
Everything in this series was perfect, especially this end. Unfortunately I was spoilered about it quite early. But that just added another layer of atmosphere to each episode, a bit like rewatching a series, so it was ok.

I watched Ashita no Joe 2 for over one year, maybe two, since I followed the release of Takara's subtitles, which, at least in the end, came once a month or more seldom. But I saved the last three episodes for tonight, turned off my phone, poured some wine and turned up the volume on the subwoofer. Dammit it's an era that ends tonight!
May 31, 2014 2:49 PM

May 2008
Here is what I think of Ashita no Joe ..
It's the best boxing/drama anime has been ever made.
Easily The best classic anime I've watched.
Easily on my top five list of all time favorite.

I first watched it as a child in Arabic dub but that was years ago when I was only five. Had to re-watch it again, and boy, how epic the anime is..The ending is so depressing and yet perfectly made. I love how Joe stayed persistence to the end of his life, and I love how his opponent was really pissed off from Joe and hardly won the match.

In the end, this is probably the most underrated classic. I wish of only more people knew about Ashita no Joe!
Jul 14, 2014 8:52 AM

Dec 2009
A true masterpiece. R.I.P. Yabuki Joe.

aAhmeds said:
In the end, this is probably the most underrated classic. I wish of only more people knew about Ashita no Joe!

It's not underrated. It's just not seen by many, mainly because few have heard of it, because it's so old, and because it wasn't subbed 100% before recently.
Aug 7, 2014 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
Epic show! The excitement and plot of this show is indisputable. No doubt this is one of my favourite series but I would have liked if Joe won his last (Jose Mendoza ) fight; since he never won his last two (Rikiishi and Carlos) big fights. Overall 10/10
Oct 24, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2013
"All that's left is pure white ash."

Timeless masterpiece, I'm so glad it ended there so I didn't have to go through the heart-wrenching scenes of Danpei and all the kids realising he's gone... :'( I'm just speechless.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 29, 2014 5:58 AM

Oct 2010
I watched it. I cried. It was the best thing I've seen in anime besides Cowboy Bebop. I was not expecting the emotional rollercoaster toward the end there. Truly an unapproachable anime.
Nov 22, 2014 2:30 AM

Jan 2013
Easily the best anime in history of the industry.

And the first one to make me cry like a little baby. I don't have words to describe such a work of art... Many tears were shed.

11/10 for the series, glad to be alive.
Nov 24, 2014 6:47 PM

May 2013
The ending was the best ending I have ever seen so far and it sucks that Joe died in the end. This also has to be the best anime ever made and has created probably the best anime character.
Feb 22, 2015 8:09 AM

Jun 2014
That ending was brilliant. I thought S1 was good, but S2 blows it away. Great series.

"I burned up... I burned out... To pure whiteness."
Mar 31, 2015 3:58 PM

Feb 2010
I... I think I got some dirt in the eyes... damn.

I had seen the image of Joe at the end, dead in his corner. I was never directly spoiled he died, but the image said pretty much everything, even if I hadn't watched a single episode at the time. I was like, damn, I'm spoiled... but I'm glad, because that image is what told me: "hey, this probably isn't just a run-of-the-mill sports series, seems like it could be more"... well, it was. Boy it was a whole lot more.

I mean, Joe is right up there as my favorite character ever. His development in every aspect was outstanding... this was truly a masterpiece, an easy 10 for me. I'm honestly impressed. I did expect it to be one of the best sports series, but I didn't expect it to be one of the best series, no matter the genre.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Apr 2, 2015 11:17 AM

Jul 2013
I didnt like it as much as part 1 but wow. Cant believe he went out like that. I dont think many modern anime have the balls to do that
Jun 15, 2015 2:56 AM

Jul 2014
No aftermath, no mourning. It's like we died along with him.
Jul 22, 2015 5:00 AM

Jul 2011
I understand why the author finish it the way it did but still I didn't like it, through out the series Yoko did so much for Joe & helped him in any way she could it was obvious that she care about him & when she confess her love it was amazing moment I would like to see Joe survive the fight no matter the outcome retire from boxing & settle up with Yoko I wanted to see them together :( what a disappointment... T__T
Aug 15, 2015 1:49 PM
Nov 2014
Incredible series, I'm speechless...absolutely speechless. What an ending...fucking hell...I think I got dust in my eyes or something :( GODDAMNIT WHY ? JOEEEEEEEEEEE D:

One of the best shows I have ever had the pleasure to watch, it was gripping from the start to finish and it was never boring for me.

''I burned my fire until there is nothing left...all that's left is pure white ash''

RIP Joe, one of the best well developed anime character ever. Truly an outstanding character in every aspect, I'm definitely gonna miss him so much :(

10/10.
Sep 20, 2015 10:00 AM

Dec 2014
Welcome to one of the most EPIC anime!

Amazing! The author really make Joe to be one of the best character ever made, and that's why the ending is so everlasting.... Damn!

10/10
Oct 23, 2015 2:21 PM

Nov 2012
Shit, the ending in the anime hit me harder than in the manga.

I'm in tears right now.
Oct 26, 2015 3:36 PM

Jul 2013
Article
My thoughts: (Spoilers)
retributionisblind.wordpress.com
Mar 11, 2016 4:43 PM

Jul 2010
I admit...even though I kinda saw it coming with all the foreshadowing in this final arc I still cried like a little bitch...this anime is a masterpiece and Joe is one of the best written characters I've ever seen, it's been one hell of a ride with and even though the ending is sad and depressing...it's just perfect to me.

10/10.
Mar 30, 2016 12:23 PM

Jun 2008
Everything hurts ;__;

It was pretty clear he was going to die but couldn't they have at least let him win? This ending is too sad.
Apr 8, 2016 2:47 AM

Dec 2009
Joe shoulda won the fight after getting elbowed but epic fight nonetheless. I'm really gonna miss this series and Joe's character and personality.
Apr 13, 2016 2:59 PM

Dec 2008
"Danpei went back to drinking hard after joe's death for awhile but pulled himself together eventually and honored Joe's memory by successfully continuing to train boxers in the new gym they built together. Joe gave Danpei his life back, so Danpei lived it, as best he could. He had some strong contenders come out of Tange Gym, inspired by Joe's legend, but nobody could ever replace him. Many years later Danpei passes away quietly following a night of drinking and chatting with Joe's ghost in the old abandoned gym under the bridge, and is found in the morning by Nishi. Yoko arranges for his burial beside Joe and Rikiishi.

Yoko never loved again, nor married. She retired from managing the SBC for many years (coming back only as needed) but funded it to allow it to continue without her. She took over the affairs of Shiraki Corp from her father after his death and managed it successfully, though without an heir. Eventually she converted most of her wealth to philanthropic ventures, notably the funding of research towards a cure for punch drunk syndrome via the "Yabuki Foundation" which also gives assistance to boxers such as Carlos Rivera so they can live and heal. She visits the graves of Joe and Rikiishi religiously, every week, without fail. Eventually Suga's biography of Joe and Rikishii's story is published, funded of course by Shiraki Corp.

Jose announced his retirement immediately after the bout; although victorious, he was mentally and spiritually defeated. His love for his family and the lingering fear he experienced facing Joe Yabuki would never allow him to box again. He would devote the rest of his life to his family and vanish from the public eye, never truly the same from his final match. When he did rarely speak out, it was in favor of lowering the 15 round limit to 12, as well as instituting stricter regulations to protect the health and safety of men who risk their lives in the ring.

Carlos healed enough to speak publicly about boxing and Joe, but remained in care the rest of his life. A gym in Venezuela is named after him and dedicated to the achievements of the Beltless Champ, with an ownership stake going directly to him (arranged by Yoko). Carlos and Jose reconciled later in life, even becoming friends.

Noriko always held secret sadness in her heart, though she lived happily with Nishi and gave him a family. She couldn't understand Joe and why it had to be the way it was. Nishi lived blissfully unaware of her feelings.

The neighborhood kids grew up to be strong personalities and very successful in their individual ventures, never wanting to let Joe's memory down. The neighborhood became less of a slum for their hard work and they mostly stayed close, making their homes there.

Namidabashi and its inhabitants canonized Joe (yea this basically happened in real life) with graffiti, statues, and restaurant names like Joe's Ramen. He would endure as a folk hero to this day, inspiring countless young people to fight and live with passion regardless of the odds.

Joe finally got his rematch with Rikiishi."

- Arcadia1810
Apr 29, 2016 11:05 AM

Sep 2012
In a flash, I see glowing sparks. But in the end... nothing remains but white ash.

Amazing ending. Wouldn't change anything.
May 2, 2016 12:56 AM

Jan 2013
@Narutofreak1412 And where did that person did get all that from? I must admit, if it's true, that's so sad. God damn it for making me almost cry again
May 2, 2016 8:37 AM

Dec 2008
@Klad It's not official, just some thoughts about what happend after. But Arcadia's ending matches mostly with what I imagined after watching the final episode and I think it's really well written and touching, so I wanted to share it here ^^
Jun 12, 2016 11:08 PM
Jun 2015
well honestly , ashita no joe was good but not that good , ppl only say its very incredible , best thing etc , other ppl do not say anything about it ...

well sure its good , but not like .....best ever , its can hardly be that way for me ..

but of course i respect other ppl opinion
Jun 20, 2016 9:52 PM
Jun 2016
Where the fuck did you get that qoute from my nigah?
NigaAcrossKFCJun 20, 2016 9:58 PM
Oct 20, 2016 2:41 PM

Feb 2013
In the end both are white, one is still alive though.
Too bad that he lost the fight with Jose and with his own life.
Dec 28, 2016 12:42 PM

Nov 2014
9/10

Incredible I just wish we saw the aftermath.
Feb 17, 2017 7:10 PM
Feb 2017
Ulquiorra said:
In the end both are white, one is still alive though.
Too bad that he lost the fight with Jose and with his own life.

He might have lost the fight physically but he won it psychologically.
Feb 28, 2017 7:13 PM

Jul 2012
What would've been good is after the ending credits they'd show a bit when Danpei and everyone leave Joe's grave, and Yoko sets flowers on his grave and leaves.
Mar 5, 2017 4:15 AM

Nov 2015
Aria-da-Capo said:
No aftermath, no mourning. It's like we died along with him.

So damn true. This was such a hit to the feels...
May 9, 2017 9:18 PM
Feb 2017
So beautiful, so well done. Just everything about this second season was great, all though it was dull at sometimes it easily picked up the pace and sent you on a roller coaster of emotions. Joe Yabuki went out like a true champ.
Jul 1, 2017 4:07 AM
Sep 2016
I remember~~ 😢😢😢

Anime is Great
Jul 9, 2017 12:11 PM
Jul 2017
Hands down the best anime i have ever seen. What a masterpiece, eventhough since i discovered it in 2009 up untill now i watched it like 5 times and still brought me tears everytime.
Jul 19, 2017 11:12 PM
Mar 2017
Klad said:
@Narutofreak1412 And where did that person did get all that from? I must admit, if it's true, that's so sad. God damn it for making me almost cry again

It was meant to be an ambiguous ending in the original manga, and I think it is best to assume that for the anime as well. In that way, everyone can have their own version of "tomorrow". Nevertheless, whatever that "tomorrow" is, it is not sad for Joe, because he is satisfied with burning all he have to pure white ash.

Well, I think it would still be sad for Yoko, even after she understand Joe wanting to burn to white ashes. If you feel bad for her, I can at least say that the original author Kajiwara's version of "tomorrow" (illustrator Chiba's official site) has a happy Yoko. Of course it is much too plain compared to the actual ending, so Chiba replaced it with the ambiguous white ash ending.
Jul 27, 2017 6:14 PM

Nov 2016
I can say that manly tears were shed.

Although you could see this coming from a mile away it was still devasting, I think even more so, because one expected it to happen. All the time I was hoping for a miracle, however after this episode hope turned it despair. Don't get me wrong,this needed to happen and I think this is one, if not the greatest anime ending of all time, but it was still unbelieveable sad to see Joe, who became one of my favorite characters die. Yet at the same time I'm also happy for him, he didn't die in vain, he lived for what he loved, never backed off, didn't leave regrets and said good bye with a smile. The fact that he passed away without hearing the results was also a nice touch, cause it didn't matter for him.

Overall the amazing ride from season 1 continued. While the former season had more to offer in terms of character development and the amazing rivalry between Joe and Rikiishi, this one had better visuals and OSTs,more goosebump moments and drama which I liked. And to top it off this end was close to perfection. I haven't seen many classics, but I'm fairly sure that this is the best show of the last millenium and one of my favorite anime from now on.

10/10 it's simply a masterpiece.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 9, 2017 3:11 PM

Jul 2015
He couldn't even win the match, fuck.

Super intense final episode, Joe fought until there was nothing else left, what a man, rest in piece my friend.

Really nice anime, I'm glad I watched it.
Sep 23, 2017 12:44 PM
Sep 2015
The ending was cut short yet so powerful, perfectly fitting for this anime. Even though I read some spoilers accidentally and I was basically seeing it coming, Joe's smile at the end broke my heart apart.
I stumbled upon Ashita no Joe by chance, and I'm so glad that I watched it. 10/10
Oct 15, 2017 1:55 PM
Mar 2017
no words...joe eternal glory...r.i.p
Oct 28, 2017 3:40 PM
Feb 2016
A masterpiece. The quote burned to white ashes hit me hard. So much symbolism in the series and left me empty after finishing it. 10/10 anime/manga
Dec 6, 2017 7:07 AM

Dec 2012
This is the first series in years that hooked me, yesterday I watched 13 episodes and ended the second season.
Ending hit me like a truck. I cried. Wish I'd have more Joe to watch.
Jan 25, 2018 9:37 AM

Aug 2015
Absolute masterpiece. This episode left me speechless, even though I knew this was coming it still completely destroyed me. What an amazing ride, I'm definitely gonna miss Joe.
Feb 1, 2018 1:37 PM
Oct 2016
God damn the moment when he closed his eyes was so powerful, what an amazing ending to such a masterpiece.
Feb 20, 2018 11:14 AM

Nov 2012

This series was great, it's like watching a biography of a boxer player. the ending is moving and thematically appropriate for Yabuki Joe as a character. i love the fact that Joe didn't even care for the match outcome. hell, he even may have lost unconscious and died before hearing the match's outcome. all he cared about was "burning his light" and he successfully did it.

I also like the ambiguity of the ending. we didn't see anything of the aftermath of Joe's death, no mourning, no funeral... nothing. just a shot of the hero who died in battle.
I prefer it this way, it's uncommon for writers to write such ambiguous ending sequences that leave the rest to your imagination without being too vague. it's unique. also, i think it would've broke me seeing Danpei mourning over Joe.

10/10

"It may be for a moment, but my fire roars up so bright and hot, it's almost blinding. And then, all that remains is pure white ash."
Mar 9, 2018 11:33 PM

Sep 2013
Perfect. They are all perfect.
Mar 15, 2018 7:23 PM

Jan 2014
Joe has the perfect ending. I can't even put it into words how beautifully and carefully the ending is handled. There are so many new things in the animation and every addition is fantastic.

Joe's biggest victory was when he finally was able to stop wandering in the slums and live a rather comfortable life. In reality, Joe's story was finished after Rikishi's death, as his inspiration for boxing and his motivation to keep on fighting had come to an end.
Mar 16, 2018 4:34 AM

Feb 2017
Perfect ending to conclude the series
Apr 27, 2018 6:49 AM
Jul 2018
The best sport/spokon anime I ever watched, I don't have words to describe this amazing ending. Rest in peace Joe.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 1 Discussion

Sad - Oct 6, 2014

26 by mjallday187 »»
May 10, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 45 Discussion

Akai_Shuichi - Mar 31, 2015

21 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:23 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 46 Discussion

15 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 13, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 44 Discussion

Karusan - Jan 7, 2014

32 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 13, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 43 Discussion

14 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 13, 8:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.