Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Mar 1, 2014 12:10 AM

Apr 2012
Chekchie said:
I think I'm mostly superficial when it comes to video games. I can never grasp what my exact tastes are like, but I know that...
- I love round characters who sticks to their logic
- Characters with mental disease that are accurate (in everything, the word 'psychopath' is waaaaaay too thrown all over the place)
- Deep characters relationships development - although even if some scenes show cheesy moments, I'm a person who relates a lot to characters, putting myself in their position
- I don't like hardcore gameplay. I play for an experience, a feeling, an ambiance. I can actually play challenging games if they're fun to me, but if I just die and have to redo everything every two minutes I'm just bored.

RPG is probably my favorite genre, since I love roleplaying.
My ultimate favorite is Persona 4 The Golden, since it mostly have everything appealing to me. This game, actually searched for every single thing I love about a game. I really enjoyed Persona 3 FES and Persona 3 Portable before, but Persona 4 The Golden is like, to me, a boosted version of it, with more roleplay content. I absolutely love it when I can pick a girlfriend, when I can choose who I can hang out with, when everyone comments about their costumes... roleplay everywhere.

Hell yes, another person with Persona 4 as their favorite game! And I agree with most of what you said too! Yay! ...And then...

Chekchie said:
Sorry, I don't like Final Fantasy... except the XIII series and the XIV.

...this happened. Out of curiosity, why? I never met a Final Fantasy fan who actually liked XIII.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Mar 1, 2014 12:30 PM

Sep 2012
Nickienator said:

Leaving a decent difficulty setting isn't enough for me, though. It's only fair if casuals are punished for being casual and still wanting to play big boy games. I only accept difficulty setting choices as a fair addition if you have to choose at the start of the game, can't change it again in that savefile, and the higher your difficulty is set, the more extra content you get. Ultimate bosses, equipment or other items (or demons, for a certain game) that are useful for certain tactics casuals won't figure out anyway, and dungeons that would make casuals cry anyway should be highest difficulty only. I want to be rewarded in some way for being better than other people.
Would you rather play Dark Souls than another, similar game that has the same amount of content but is easier? If so then I don't see why you would think different difficulty settings are unfair unless the content was different. The challenge and sense of accomplishment isn't rewarding enough itself?

I might understand where you were coming from if playing video games was somehow productive. But as it stands I don't see why someone should be "punished" for just wanting some casual entertainment out of something that could be played on a higher difficulty. That's like saying people who build robots for those contests where they fight each other should be punished for not choosing to go pursue the craft enough to design lunar rovers for NASA.
Mar 1, 2014 3:14 PM

Jul 2008
People that want a casual experience should just play a casual game. So like 95% of all games released nowadays. Pokémon is the easy mode for Shin Megami Tensei. Having a difficulty option in the first place is a design flaw. It's the game designer's job to challenge the player (or not). When I'm stuck in a hard RPG I want to have to look at every possibility in the game to get past that point: different tactics, changing the skillsets of party members, looking at other possibilities to improve my party (besides grinding, if grinding is absolutely necessary no matter what your tactics are the game design is flawed as well). Giving the player the option to change difficulty whenever they like is the same thing as saying 'Well, yeah, this game is really easy, but it's your own choice that you use these attacks that are really good! If you would just only use the shitty ones, you would have a much harder time!'. Game difficulties without any reward for using the higher difficulty are the same thing as giving yourself a handicap in a really easy game to make it worthwhile.

Ideally, there should be no game difficulty setting in a game. But companies want to make money, so if you have to include a low difficulty setting so bad players can buy the game too, fine. But yes, give the players the game is meant for a reward even if it is small. Fine by me if you get a boner from playing a game upside down for extra challenge, but I'd prefer the game to challenge me itself or if it can't do that at least give me a lollipop for being better than all the low difficulty losers.

People who build robots for battling are already being punished by not getting laid.

Mar 1, 2014 3:43 PM
Mar 2011
Chekchie said:
I think I'm mostly superficial when it comes to video games. I can never grasp what my exact tastes are like, but I know that...
- I love round characters who sticks to their logic
- Characters with mental disease that are accurate (in everything, the word 'psychopath' is waaaaaay too thrown all over the place)
- Deep characters relationships development - although even if some scenes show cheesy moments, I'm a person who relates a lot to characters, putting myself in their position
- I don't like hardcore gameplay. I play for an experience, a feeling, an ambiance. I can actually play challenging games if they're fun to me, but if I just die and have to redo everything every two minutes I'm just bored.

RPG is probably my favorite genre, since I love roleplaying.
My ultimate favorite is Persona 4 The Golden, since it mostly have everything appealing to me. This game, actually searched for every single thing I love about a game. I really enjoyed Persona 3 FES and Persona 3 Portable before, but Persona 4 The Golden is like, to me, a boosted version of it, with more roleplay content. I absolutely love it when I can pick a girlfriend, when I can choose who I can hang out with, when everyone comments about their costumes... roleplay everywhere.

I guess what I really want is some kind of human contact. Games where everything seems cold like Fallout and The Last of Us don't appeal me at all. However, games with little roleplaying -meaning like no characters relationships nor cinematics- like Etrian Odyssey really appeal to me. Why? Well... laugh all you want, but I just like to make up stories in my end. Same goes for Diablo III, the only game of the franchise I liked.

Sorry, I don't like Final Fantasy... except the XIII series and the XIV.

SO, now I can confess that I am horribly uncomfortable to talk about video games due to my, apparently, unusual tastes who seems nor hipster, nor totally mainstream. IRL I'm mostly the laughing stock of mainstream gamers, for not having 'the best gear in da game' or 'the supreme loot strategy' and hipsters just don't like the games I like. But since everyone here seems pretty comfortable with different opinions, I'll just put this here and...

I'm waiting for a hammer strike.

you do not have odd tatse you have very bad taste Prosna 4 is overrated ass ll hell its not even the best RPG on the Vita [ for golden and miles from ythe best on the Ps2 ]

its not even the best mega ten sub franchsie game on the system avatatuner is hand down the best
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 1, 2014 3:49 PM

Jul 2008
NoSurrender1690 said:

you do not have odd tatse you have very bad taste Prosna 4 is overrated ass ll hell

Hell yes, another person with superior taste! And I agree with most of what you said too! Yay!

Mar 8, 2014 6:19 PM

Oct 2012
FGAU1912 said:
you do not have odd tatse you have very bad taste Prosna 4 is overrated ass ll hell its not even the best RPG on the Vita [ for golden and miles from ythe best on the Ps2 ]

its not even the best mega ten sub franchsie game on the system avatatuner is hand down the best

Wow. Could you write that in English, please?

sushiisawesome said:
Hell yes, another person with Persona 4 as their favorite game! And I agree with most of what you said too! Yay! ...And then...
...this happened. Out of curiosity, why? I never met a Final Fantasy fan who actually liked XIII.

Hahaha, well first of all I am happy to see a Persona fan. If you agree with me, well, I can assume that you like the whole game - every fan I have known like the game, but not more than that.

Well, I could really talk a whole lot about the Final Fantasy franchise, but everything actually comes down to taste. I can just make a quick kind of list here to not splat everything everywhere.

- The visual aspects of a game are a great deal to me. So FFVII is like "NO!" to me immediately. Same actually goes to FFIX. It's not that it is actually objectively BAD is just that the style say soooo nothing to me that I just get bored.

- The fighting style. Lots of gamers think that it is just an Auto-Attack fighting style, but I really liked the 'class switching' system. I kept getting entertained by just watching Lightning doing her backflip end combo again and again and again and again.

- The characters. This subject gets really touchy in Final Fantasy, since, like always, it comes down to taste. The Final Fantasy characters mostly always get on my nerve. Aerith is overly naive and perfect, Cloud is just so emo, Sephiroth is just so emo, Vincent is just so emo, Yuna is just so fluffy pink and female mage, Yuffie is so Yuffie, Angeal is just so emo-suicidalfornothing - sorry if I did hurt anyone's feelings ._."
Final Fantasy XII, well, first, give believable haircuts, but also more optimistic characters who still have a grasp on reality. None of them are overly broken by extermination, drugs or anything. Their reactions to situations are perfectly normal, just depending on their personalities and none of them are overly dark and emo. Just how human they are is what really appeal to me.

- The world. Can also be debatable. I always thought previous Final Fantasy, except the XVII franchise, had very mainstream fantasy japanese style with overly too cute annoying monsters as companions (But then Moogle came... and ruined everything). Final Fantasy XIII has, to me, this "little something" I can't grasp that I love about. I love how the Cocoon society is believably build. When making a society in RPG, a lot of times I'm often like "There are, like thousand of holes in their plot ! How can the civilians can never ask themselves this this and that", but FFXIII can bring it in a believable way.

- The action. I like action just because it is action. I can now understand what american blockbusters fan feel.

- The cinematics. Well, you can't say that the cinematics are not beautiful. Say everything you want about the context or whatsoever, but they do are good looking. And a big plus for my fetish of dynamic camera.

AND THEN...

The sequel. Ruined. Everything. To. Me. I can't get myself to finish it.
Serah.
The Moogle.

ARGH.

Thanks God the third one is called Lightning Returns.
Mar 9, 2014 5:35 AM
Nov 2009
I find FFXIII bad in every aspect. I can almost forgive the "gameplay" but the writing and world design.. everything is just random BS. The sequel was a tiny bit better in many ways except for the characters again.
And Lightning returns is a freaking fanservice dressup game, again with ridiculously stupid writing and design.

Thank the gods for FFXV. I wouldn't even be so cranky about 13 if they wouldn't have turned it into this stupid dressup DLC party series. Also, Squeenix went full retard.
They didn't get Uematsu for FXV but at least Yoko Shimomura which is already a heavy improvement. And maybe someday they start using Amano's art as character (and maybe world) design again instead of just the freaking logo..

Just for the sake of it: VI>IV>IX>X>VIII>VI>XII>V=III=II=I=X-2>XIII-2>XIII>Returns

The Dragon Warrior/Quest series is way more fun anyway, especially since the DS remakes came out.
mugiMar 9, 2014 5:45 AM
Mar 10, 2014 6:36 AM

Apr 2012
A quick question to everyone; I want to play certain games (Xenogears and Tales of Legendia, for those curious) and want to know how to burn them onto DVD disks (in other words, the best program to use to burn iso/bins on disks).

Any suggestions? PS1 and PS2 games have been dying out here for a while, and finding some niche JRPGs is a near impossible task.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Mar 10, 2014 6:53 AM
Mar 2011
am im odd i like FF II the best in the franchise
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Mar 10, 2014 6:56 AM
Mar 2011
Nickienator said:
ZetaZaku said:
>what's wrong with appealing to a mainstream audience?
Mainstream audience doesn't like challenge. Hence why series often take a turn for the worse when they try to appeal to casuals. Thank god that some games leave the hardcore standard mode in games, like Fire Emblem Awakening and Etrian Odyssey IV. Both series featured hardcore gameplay, FE with perma deaths, EO with easy deaths. Sequels added the casual mode that disables perma death in FE and of course, spawn back in town when you die in EOIV. But we still got the original mode, so at least the game makers thought of the original fans.

Leaving a decent difficulty setting isn't enough for me, though. It's only fair if casuals are punished for being casual and still wanting to play big boy games. I only accept difficulty setting choices as a fair addition if you have to choose at the start of the game, can't change it again in that savefile, and the higher your difficulty is set, the more extra content you get. Ultimate bosses, equipment or other items (or demons, for a certain game) that are useful for certain tactics casuals won't figure out anyway, and dungeons that would make casuals cry anyway should be highest difficulty only. I want to be rewarded in some way for being better than other people.

Agarest if the game for you yoiu cannot get the full exprerance unless you play on hard [ ie you cannot 1005 the game unless you play on hard]

Mar 10, 2014 10:56 AM

Feb 2008
How many people actually played Classic Mode in Fire Emblem Awakening?

I'm currently on my first run of FEA, Classic Mode on Hard difficulty, and I gotta say that some stages can be quite frustrating until you learn the pattern/enemy strength. I'm currently at Chapter 11, but I'm thinking about restarting the game because I ended up overleveling some units. My main units are all over level 15, and they pretty much one shot everything without getting any damage, which kinda ruins the game. My Avatar is like, impossible to kill. And I ended up overleveling Donny so that he's like, among the Top 3 units lol. But the problem is that I'm not in the position to use other units, because everyone else is kinda weak. So I'm stuck here with a bunch of underleveled and overleveled units.

I can't believe how many people are playing on Normal though. Whenever I google something about FEA, everyone keeps talking about Normal, and Normal is actually easy/scrub mode.. "Need levels? Buy reeking boxes and sell bullion!" plot twist: they cost 4800 on hard mode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Mar 10, 2014 11:17 AM

Jan 2013
mugi said:

Just for the sake of it: VI>IV>IX>X>VIII>VI>XII>V=III=II=I=X-2>XIII-2>XIII>Returns

The Dragon Warrior/Quest series is way more fun anyway, especially since the DS remakes came out.

Wait, you said "VI" twice; which one is supposed to be VII? I assume it's the latter.
Mar 10, 2014 11:32 AM
Nov 2009
Oh you're right, the second one is VII.
Mar 10, 2014 11:40 AM
Mar 2011
and DQ has miles better spin offers too

Mar 10, 2014 11:50 AM

Sep 2012
sushiisawesome said:
A quick question to everyone; I want to play certain games (Xenogears and Tales of Legendia, for those curious) and want to know how to burn them onto DVD disks (in other words, the best program to use to burn iso/bins on disks).

Any suggestions? PS1 and PS2 games have been dying out here for a while, and finding some niche JRPGs is a near impossible task.

ImgBurn.
Or just play on an emulator.

And Xenogears is a fucking masterpiece, have fun.
Jun 3, 2014 1:21 PM

Jul 2013
So for my VN / VNish adventures I've experienced:
-999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (which I loved for the atmosphere, the suspense, and the mystery)
-Juniper's Knot (I dug the oldish english and the story is fascinating)
-Saya no Uta (I was captivated with the concept and for the grey area it explored)
-Ace Attorney (I felt like the master of the courtroom)
-Katawa Shoujo (I felt like a pedo)

So far so good for the most part in my VN / VNish journey. I'm looking for something with a unique concept, with a solid story, or with solid character interactions. I saw Ever 17 and I plan on experiencing that soon. It was by the same writer as 999 and I've heard it's quite dope so that's need to be sold on it. Any other truly solid VNs out there that weren't mentioned or can be touched upon in more detail?
Jun 3, 2014 1:57 PM

Feb 2008
@Nagisa
Umineko, Sharin no Kuni and if Sharin it suits your fancy G Senjou no Maou, Grisaia no Kajitsu, Rewrite, Symphonic Rain, Cross Channel (go with the older translation for this), Sekien no Inganock, Swan Song, I/O,and definitely the Infinity series by KID (Ever 17, Remember 11, Never 7).

If you want something more casual SoL/Comedy/Romance you can try Period and Quartet (both share the same character design, and are quite solid for what they are), or Yume Miru Kusuri (which is drama-heavy, but quite sweet nonetheless). And if you're up for some RPG/VN hybrids, you have Sengoku Rance, Kamidori Alchemy Meister, Utawarerumono and Tears to Tiara from the more prominent titles.

And I've purposely avoided recommending Muv Luv Alternative, since, you don't seem like the kind of person that could go through Extra and Unlimited for the payout that is Alternative.

Jun 4, 2014 12:22 AM

Apr 2012
Nagisa33 said:

-999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (which I loved for the atmosphere, the suspense, and the mystery)

I really love this one, haven't played the sequel yet though.

Nagisa33 said:
-Juniper's Knot (I dug the oldish english and the story is fascinating)

Haven't tried this one out.

Nagisa said:
-Saya no Uta (I was captivated with the concept and for the grey area it explored)

I really didn't like this one. Too much rape.

Nagisa33 said:
-Ace Attorney (I felt like the master of the courtroom)

<3

Nagisa33 said:
-Katawa Shoujo (I felt like a pedo)

Rin is best girl. The end.

Nagisa33 said:
So far so good for the most part in my VN / VNish journey. I'm looking for something with a unique concept, with a solid story, or with solid character interactions. I saw Ever 17 and I plan on experiencing that soon. It was by the same writer as 999 and I've heard it's quite dope so that's need to be sold on it. Any other truly solid VNs out there that weren't mentioned or can be touched upon in more detail?

Looks like corwin has already done a good job recommending you stuff, and anything I'd recommend is something you probably already are planning to try out.
Have fun man, tell us what you think once you're going through any of them/done with them. Especially Umineko, because that's easily one of my top 3 VNs.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 8, 2014 4:18 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, P4U's cover looks bloody amazing. Also, spoilers for anyone who hasn't played Persona 3/4.

Anyone else hyped for this? Not a JRPG, but Arc fighters have always delivered on my end.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 8, 2014 10:14 AM

Feb 2012
HEAVEN OR HELL LETS ROCK!
Jun 13, 2014 2:56 AM

Sep 2013
Alrite then:

1. Katawa Shoujo // Quickly forgot about this one and I technically didn't finish it; Stopped after going Rin -> Lilly. Liked the blind girl better.

2. Chaos;Head // I was kinda' surprised by the complete mediocrity of the majority of the characters in this VN. At least the atmosphere was done pretty well, at times.

3. Little Busters! // My favourite VN; Common route was just too good.

4. Rewrite // I should probably like this more than I do at the moment; The very last arc was kinda' weird, rendering basically all of the girls useless. Lucia obv. has the best route, though.

5. Grisaia no Kajitsu // Not really much to say that anyone else could say. Protagonist is pretty damn awesome.

6. G-Senjou no Maou // Deathnote became a VN, yay~. All routes other than main were really just a waste of time.

7. Hoshizora no Memoria // As Haxxspetten once said, the best SoL VN ever, although I don't really think that many SoL VNs exist. True route was a letdown though : / Kosame has a brilliant second H-scene, while Komomo reminds me so much of Kagami that I can't not love her tsundere-ness.

Currently playing Muv-luv Alternative, and I must say... this isn't something you can do in any other medium.

Anyways, I currently have Sharin no Kuni and Ever17 on hold, I hope someone can convince me to continue them... (quit out of boredom, not very far in).
nep-nepJun 13, 2014 2:59 AM
Jun 13, 2014 11:43 AM

Jan 2013
I don't love ASW fighters, but I predicted Adachi, Stupei, Ken and Koromaru would get into the game and really wanted to see them playable, so I think I may be obligated to give the game a go to play as my fav P3 characters and Adachi. Sadly Mitsuru-chwan was dull to play as :/.
Jun 13, 2014 2:46 PM

Dec 2007
I don't have too much on my list since I have a hard time finding VN I actually like but here it goes.

The first VN i ever tried was tsukihime (the version without music) and I think I finished like 1 route before putting it in hiatus until the remake is out.

Years later I came again to VN world playing umineko completly and loving it. Besides I have read higurashi and 2 seasons of Rose guns days.

I played the second reproduction as the only otome I mamnged to complete without dropinng it due to sugar excess or stupid heroine. Does every good locking guy in Otome games has to be a walking steritype. Srsly.

I played a few routes of Animamundi. A fantast themed yaoi since I was wondering what was about yaoi that fujoshis loved so much. The plot was interesting but I only played half routes or so because it is way too long and tiresome. Still good game. I will finish it someday.

I have played some shorth visual novels like narcissu and a few from all together projects.

Sakurai/liar soft steampunk series: I have played inganock, sharnoth, sona nyl and I'm playing now Gahkthun. There is something special about this series that makes it so different. Every story is a story told in a localization of a huge world that sakurai has on her head. Everything is linear and the story exist for the sake of the plot instead of getting the pretty girl. Sakurai is a huge otaku of english culture and she uses it for her work. When I played sharnoth I had the same fun reading the story than investigating all the references. Her works are fun and clever and sometimes she even explains her world in twitter when she gets bored. It is like a huge puzzle in VN form.

About games I have played several good rpgs from the SNES era (mostly action ones) but not after (not emulator for these)
Jun 13, 2014 11:46 PM
Jul 2018
Sorry, I've been out of it for a while. Was a club ever made for this and an enlightenment list ever compiled? Should we still be nominating amazing JRPGs and visual novels?

Regardless, as of right now my favorite JRPGs are:
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter (I mentioned it earlier in this thread)
Final Fantasy XII (unusually under appreciated as far as FF games are concerned)
Kingdom Hearts II
Valkyria Chronicles
SMT: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha VS King Abaddon
SMT: Persona 3 FES (I'm debating this one as Tartarus is repetitive and the story seems to be taking its time to move forward)

At some point if you want I can go into detail about why I think these games are so amazing. (especially Solatorobo and Final Fantasy XII)
removed-userJun 13, 2014 11:58 PM
Jun 14, 2014 3:23 AM
Nov 2009
Which FFXII version?

There are so many RPGs I played that I can't really rank them but I like:

Grandia
Chrono Trigger
FFVI/IV/X/IX, I think 6 and 10 are would be my top ones on a list though
Dark Chronicles (that would be pretty high on the list)
Dragon Quest 4-6 (DS)/7/8 (4 and and 8 are my favorites even though everything in between is probably more interesting than 4)
Digimon World 3 (dat card game)
Breath of Fire IV (3 is cool too but I love 4)
Skies of Arcadia (overall one of my favorite games)
Tales of Phantasia/Destiny/Eternia/Symphonia/Abyss and Xillia. Xillia is good because Miyuki Sawashiro... though, the english version is still okay but she's the only good character and the eng dub kinda ruins it.
NieR
Legaia 2 (fun battle system)
Muramasa: The Demon Blade/Odin Sphere
Xeno series
Pokemon Gen I/II/V
Monster Hunter (?)
Lost Odyssey
Eldorado Gate
Valkyria Profile
FF Tactics/Disgaea/Valkyrie Chronicles/ Jeanne D'arc (PSP) (I'm a Tactic RPG pleb so they're all the same to me, but I liked them)
Lunar
Rogue Galaxy
I had fun with Ni no Kuni too in retrospect.
Dark Souls, but internet ruined it for me. NGE fanbase = Dark Souls fanbase. Also that competitive PVP tampered too much with the core game. It's not a MMO dammit, balancing sucks.
Ragnarok Online

PSP had some fun games like Riviera and Yggdra Union.
Played a bit of Ys, Kingsom Hearts and Secret of Mana, but never got into these franchises. Same with SMT, Inazuma Eleven, Mario RPGs and so much more...
mugiJun 14, 2014 3:41 AM
Jun 14, 2014 3:39 AM

Apr 2012
If Dark Souls counts as JRPG then I gotta say its the best. Dark Souls is a weird one cause its from japan and its an RPG so I guess it is a JRPG, but I just cant see it as one cause it differs so much from the average JRPG and its kinda european mythology influenced. Its like I cant really see Panty and Stocking as anime cause it feels so american.
Jun 14, 2014 3:44 AM
Nov 2009
Origin and platform usually refer to the type of RPG. If you want to distuinguish between JRPG and WRPG that is. JRPGs are often called console RPGs (since Dragon Quest), to differentiate between the Ultima counterpart on PC. Most of the game mechanics are simplified compared to PC RPGs.
Why am I such nerd.
Jun 14, 2014 3:51 AM

Feb 2012
More props to the YS series!, while they can be absurdly difficult(the name "Nightmare mode" is rather fitting for it's highest difficulty) they have great fast paced combat, fantastic music, and some of the best boss battles I've ever fought.

I'd suppose monster hunter would count as a JRPG? It's kinda in the same boat as DkS though in terms of it's presentation, also the fact that it doesn't have a level up system, you "level up" by crafting better weapons, but it's another great series, it's graphics are beyond dated though, I pray for the day when capcom quits being lazy and makes a MH game looks like dragons dogma
Jun 14, 2014 3:55 AM
Nov 2009
Bigger Cities, some minor RPGs element additions (I love shopping in RPGs...), multiple towns or even completely open-world would make Monster Hunter perfect.
I think I have Ys Origin and something else on Steam and had one for PSP. I always try to start with the highest difficulty mode, and I believe the first boss in Origins (the spear girl?), killed my more than 60 times.
Dragon's Dogma was really fun too by the way. But it left so much room for improvement.
Jun 14, 2014 4:10 AM

Feb 2012
I don't think making changes to the cities will add much to the game, since it's basically a boss rush game when you boil it down to it's simplest form. However I DO miss the larger gathering halls that freedom 1 & 2 had, sure it might be a bit annoying to get 12 randomers to decide who wants to go on a 4 man quest, but I missed the novelty of seeing hunters hanging out by the table while another group were running around prepping for the next big hunt, and then being waved off by everyone else

Ys 3's first boss floored me so hard, it basically spams one horizontal and one vertical attack, but it barely lets up between attacks, and doesn't have a pattern to read other than tells before it fires

I only liked dogma when I played the DLC, and that just made me really sad the capcom didn't make BBI a fully fledged game in it's own right, it could have been amazing if it kept up that quality for an entire game, running through it as early as possible was a tonne of fun though
Jun 14, 2014 4:36 AM
Nov 2009
Wouldn't make a change to current state of the MH games but I love exploring towns in RPGs... If it'd open world then they could make changes to the Monster habitats (and add a random factor), materials, Quests (not fetch quests) and certain towns where some NPCs have a special profession to make an armor or something like that. Most people would probably hate that but I like that. I like grinding (that's a given for MH though) and "working hard" for stuff. Adding some kind of economy would be great too because the money reward is kinda useless.
They could fuse Pokemon with Monster Hunter. You start as a novice and travel from town to town, accepting quests, proving yourself by doing special hunts, saving people from butthurt monsters, joining a guild, fighting PETA and such.
Jun 14, 2014 4:58 AM

Apr 2012
Ive never gotten into Monster Hunter. I absolutely dig the idea, and since people say its challenging and I love challenge it would be the right kind of game for me, but I absolutely hate grinding and damagesponges. I like that in Dark Souls despite how hard it is, most boss battles dont take longer than 5-10min, but apparently MH fights with bigger Monsters can take forever and they soak way too much dmg. I hate when it simply drags on.

But the core idea of MH is just so damn sweet. I hope someone else takes the idea of monster hunting and makes a game that would fit my tastes a bit more.
Jun 14, 2014 7:34 AM

Jul 2013
Monster Hunter reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus in the sense that you have to take down these towering creatures. There's that sense of scale with the creatures in both games. It also reminds me of something like WoW because you can team up with your buddies to take them down and there's a lot of grinding. I played some of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and while I do like the world and the creativity with some of monsters I'm not fond of the immense grind and the amount of damage these monsters suck up. One reason why I liked Shadow, besides the mysteriously beautiful environment, was that the beasts were like a puzzle. They were difficult because you had to learn their weak point while adapting to their movements and while figuring out how to use the environment to your advantage. Yes, while you have to figure out attack patterns and decide on the right moment to strike in Monster Hunter, you also have to rinse and repeat a boatload. It is fun, the co-op makes it more enjoyable, and the world is colorful but I've been less tolerant of games where you grind your hours away. Similar to how some monsters suck up immense damage this game sucks up my time.
Jun 14, 2014 8:16 AM

Feb 2012
Sure MH isn't for everyone, I'm always hesitent to reccomend it despite loving it dearly because of the heavy amounts of grinding, but what always brings me back is the gameplay, and the sheer amount of time one can put into the game. The game actively requires you to learn and understand the mechanics of your chosen weapon and the monster your facing down.Big numbers mean nothing if you can't recognise an attack coming and react appropriately, meaning their is a real requirement of player skill, Despite the fact that theres so much grinding. Sure theres a lot of repitition, but it helps that monsters don't have a set pattern of attacks rather randomizing through them for the most part, keeping a player on his/her toes unlike something like a raid in an MMO

Progress can be slow, but I find that it always feel satisfying to collect that last piece you needed for that super awesome armour set you had planned out in your head, you can keep setting personal goals for yourself. It's not like I don't get bored of the game, but I have put on an average of 300 hours per game often more, and I've played every western release since the first PSP release.
Jun 14, 2014 8:18 AM
Jun 2008
They may have started the jRPG/console RPG naming of games to distinguish between Dragon Quest (and the games it spawned) and Ultima and Wizardry, but today it's more of a genre which follows it's own specific game design (extremely obvious if we look at the 3D representatives of the different RPG styles) - just like we distinguish cRPGs (isometric pen n' paper rule set based RPGs).

So for me Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are without a doubt wRPGs because they follow western game design and world aesthetic/building philosophies. It's the same case with it's FROM SOFTWARE predecessors - Kings Fiend, Shadow Tower etc. - they are without a doubt wRPGs, just made in Japan by a Japanese studio and put out on consoles, because Japan doesn't really have a PC market. But the people who made them probably were big on PC RPGs.
Wind_FalconJun 14, 2014 8:37 AM
Jun 14, 2014 4:35 PM

Jan 2013
mugi said:

There are so many RPGs I played that I can't really rank them but I like:

FFVI/IV/X/IX, I think 6 and 10 are would be my top ones on a list though
Digimon World 3 (dat card game)
Breath of Fire IV (3 is cool too but I love 4)
Skies of Arcadia (overall one of my favorite games)
Tales of Phantasia/Destiny/Eternia/Symphonia/Abyss and Xillia. Xillia is good because Miyuki Sawashiro... though, the english version is still okay but she's the only good character and the eng dub kinda ruins it.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Pokemon Gen I/II/V
Valkyrie Profile

-For the summer I'm hoping to finally play more of FF: 4,6,7,10,12 and possibly 9 myself.
-Digimon World 3 is so underrated, I love that one. The card game was sweet.
-Breath of Fire IV and Skies of Arcadia I really want to try out.
-A lot rather unorthodox Tales choices you have there, I really need to get through more of the entries, but for me Tales games, Gundam and Digimon are the franchises I have trouble appreciating when not in English actually.
-Muramasa I need to get back to
-Gen V is an interesting choice for a fav Gen, it's probably my 3rd favourite actually but a lot of people don't seem to like it it seems
-Valkyrie Profile I played a bit of 2 and now own it but need to get into it myself after purchasing it recently, and I would like to get 1 at some point
AngelsArcanumJun 14, 2014 5:59 PM
Jun 14, 2014 4:58 PM

Feb 2008
AngelsArcanum said:
-Gen V is an interesting choice for a fav Gen, it's probably my 3rd favourite actually but a lot of people don't seem to like it it seems

Hate bandwagon I'd say. When a good chunk of people start disliking something, everyone wants to fit in and then everybody starts hating something. More then half of the people hating Gen V and FFXIII haven't even played the games.

Jun 14, 2014 9:50 PM

Jul 2013
Gen V was actually one of my favorites. I liked the story a bit more, probably because it questioned using pokemon as tools. I know that it's touched upon in other generations a wee bit but it's more of the focus in V. I know pokemon is not really about the story and it doesn't go in depth but I enjoyed this aspect even so. Gen V felt like it trimmed some of the fat while adding some solid features (though they do this in most generations). I enjoyed the environments, the gyms were all interesting, and the music was excellent. Plus, there was a lot of little secrets to discover afterwards. It also felt like a fresh start of sorts, which was nice.

My favorite gen is gen 2 because of revisiting Kanto and discovering what happened to various areas. You also get to face Red which is my favorite pokemon battle.
Jun 15, 2014 12:16 AM
Nov 2009
Reialgo said:
Sure MH isn't for everyone, I'm always hesitent to reccomend it despite loving it dearly because of the heavy amounts of grinding, but what always brings me back is the gameplay, and the sheer amount of time one can put into the game. The game actively requires you to learn and understand the mechanics of your chosen weapon and the monster your facing down.Big numbers mean nothing if you can't recognise an attack coming and react appropriately, meaning their is a real requirement of player skill, Despite the fact that theres so much grinding. Sure theres a lot of repitition, but it helps that monsters don't have a set pattern of attacks rather randomizing through them for the most part, keeping a player on his/her toes unlike something like a raid in an MMO

Progress can be slow, but I find that it always feel satisfying to collect that last piece you needed for that super awesome armour set you had planned out in your head, you can keep setting personal goals for yourself. It's not like I don't get bored of the game, but I have put on an average of 300 hours per game often more, and I've played every western release since the first PSP release.

It's also one of the games people have to try. I didn't care for it when I saw footage but then got a bunch of PSP games and remembered I had demo of MH for the PS2. So I got MH for the PSP and got so damn addicted to it.
Same for my brother. He's not really the guy who likes to do tedious stuff but he played some MH on my PSP and then got Tri. Everytime I went into his room, he was playing it.

AngelsArcanum said:

-For the summer I'm hoping to finally play more of FF: 4,6,7,10,12 and possibly 9 myself.
-Digimon World 3 is so underrated, I love that one. The card game was sweet.
-Breath of Fire IV and Skies of Arcadia I really want to try out.
-A lot rather unorthodox Tales choices you have there, I really need to get through more of the entries, but for me Tales games, Gundam and Digimon are the franchises I have trouble appreciating when not in English actually.
-Muramasa I need to get back to
-Valkyrie Profile I played a bit of 2 and now own it but need to get into it myself after purchasing it recently, and I would like to get 1 at some point

If you're familliar with FF 1-3 then I'd start with 4 because that's the title that introduced most of the new elements in the game. You could just play them in order I guess. Did you play 8 or do you skip it?

Most people would mention Breath of Fire 3 in their RPG toplists, check it out as well. I just like 4 more because of personal preference.

I find the 2D graphics more suitable for Tales games, so I'd say Phantasia (PSX/PSP/Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X version) and Destiny (PS2) are the best. Symphonia was the first one I played, or rather watched my brother play. But combat allowed multiplayer. Abyss has the coolest characters I guess, as well as the best story along with Phantasia. Xillia was supposed to be something new, with fresh art style but it didn't happen. I don't like the male MC even though he's OP. Most of the characters are okay though, and Milla as Miyuki Sawashiro would be the selling point, but the japanese isn't included in the western release... Never got around Vesperia but a lot of people say that's the best one. Tales of Eternia was good for the PSP, dunno about the original.

Valkyrie Profile is an odd series which doesn't allow too much freedom but I ended up liking it for the former.

Gen 3 and 4 is when people started noticing the weird Pokemon design, the were also some odd game mechanics in the game which looked a bit unrefined. Gen 5 also introduced a lot of weird Pokemon, but was pretty cool overall.
I never really played Gen 3 and 4 so the story in Gen 5 was something completely new to me. Like, it had an actual plot. I also liked that they first only had the Gen 5 Pokemon available until late in the game, but the second game then had all Pokemon available right from the start. Like Nagisa said, it really felt like a fresh start.
My favorite is probably Pokemon Crystal, but I somehow lost Silver and gave Gold to my brother. I didn't play the re-makes and only a bit of the re-made Gen 1, so my fondness about Gen 1 is still coming from the original Red edition...
Jul 31, 2014 8:11 AM

Jul 2008
AlabastreAizo said:
I'm about 8 or so hours into SMTIV, and when I hit the overworld, all the cool atmosphere, along with my general interest in the game kinda dissipated. ~30 more hours walking around run-down Tokyo? I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy that. At least the combat is far more fun than Persona (don't kill me).

Who would kill you for not being pleb? (Except that although the battle system is as good as always, the difficulty of battles is too easy)

And I agree I liked the original setting better in SMTIV, but SJ not really being accepted as a possible SMTIV was partly because it wasn't set in Tokyo. I started to enjoy Tokyo again as well after a while though, and it's being mixed up a little with different versions of Tokyo later in the game. And unlike the ceiling world (forgot the name), Tokyo is a bitch to navigate through at times (which is a good thing in my book), especially if you're like me and go for all side missions as well. But I prefer 'difficult to navigate' dungeons over a world map, and SMTIV doesn't really have any sizable dungeons. I think the first one is the biggest one.

I actually would've liked it if the first dungeon would've been the only dungeon, and that you'd just go deeper and deeper running into new non-dungeon places along the way.

But SMTIV is definitely still uncomparably better than Persona in every single way. It's just not as good as other main titles, too many pleb additions and flaws.

Jul 31, 2014 9:02 AM

Apr 2012
Wait a second, Nick. Which is harder, SMT IV or the PS2 Persona games?
I highly doubt it's Golden level easy though. That was just pushing it (game is still great though, but I wish it was more difficult than Persona 4's PS2 version).
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 31, 2014 9:31 AM

Jul 2008
SMTIV is harder. The overworld tracking is as hard or harder as the old titles (tracking down the 5 pieces of Anubis or something in a side mission was a bitch, and in general it was pretty hard to find out where to go next IMO), but the battle system felt easy on the standard difficulty compared to other main titles (I haven't tried Expert (or something) yet, which you unlock after your first playthrough, but I try to ignore the horrible addition of difficulty settings existing now), but PS2 Persona is still way easier even if you only look at battles for the difficulty. Maybe if you'd put SMTIV on easy and P3P on hard P3P would be a little harder in battles (If I remember correctly and P3P indeed has difficulty settings :P).

There's some similarities with PS2ersona in broken elements like Alice though. Alice is only early lvl40 in SMTIV I think, but by fusing her I easily beat a lvl80 sideboss I was having trouble with (Beelzaboub). It's only against cripple bosses like him that she really is OP though, in P3(P?) it was a huge part of the game where Die for Me was ridiculous.

I had more to say about weak additions in SMTIV, but I have to do something in real life now.

Aug 5, 2014 3:46 PM

Feb 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmnxfgXsZHc

*Hype intesifies*

Although KanaHana seems to be voicing the main grill....
Aug 6, 2014 2:33 AM

Feb 2008
Saw that. Looks like they are planning on remaking all games, despite them being what, 6 years old lol.

Aug 6, 2014 5:17 AM

Jul 2008
It's Atlus. This looks more like a remake than an enhanced port like they usually do though.

Aug 6, 2014 6:34 AM

Feb 2008
Nickienator said:
It's Atlus. This looks more like a remake than an enhanced port like they usually do though.

It is a remake with the new engine and a new story mode (the original didn't have a story mode and are just dungeon crawling). But yeah, better remake stuff like this than release Perona 3/4 multiple times on different platforms.

Aug 6, 2014 7:55 AM

Jul 2008
The PSP P1 and 2 can't really be called remakes either IMO. A new engine and a new story mode (no story mode is what I disliked when I started EO and dropped it btw, so I might check versions with a story mode out again) is enough for something to be considered a remake for me, but a few tweaks, a little extra content, and a release on a new platform feels more like a port.

Aug 6, 2014 8:51 AM

Apr 2012
I'm interested. Been meaning to get into EO for a while now.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 6, 2014 9:43 AM

Jun 2010
I love Persona 3 and 4 (super excited about 5 and Naoto's my girl) but other than that, I have now real love for JRPG. I like more western RPGs like Mass Effect and Deus Ex

As for Visual novels. Hmm, lets see. Half ass animes or pointless add ons to a comic book? YOU BE MAKE THE CALL
Aug 6, 2014 1:28 PM

Feb 2008
Nickienator said:
The PSP P1 and 2 can't really be called remakes either IMO. A new engine and a new story mode (no story mode is what I disliked when I started EO and dropped it btw, so I might check versions with a story mode out again) is enough for something to be considered a remake for me, but a few tweaks, a little extra content, and a release on a new platform feels more like a port.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend playing EO Untold for the story. The story is just there to add something new instead of just being new graphics. And you get a forced cast which sucks. Point of EO is making your team and exploring the dungeons.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.