Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 10, 2019 8:57 AM

Jul 2019
oh my god i cried :'D i loved Haku <3
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Nov 17, 2019 11:56 AM

Mar 2019
One of the only times I sympathized with a villain,more so now,when he cried.This arc was a rollercoaster of emotions for me.I had tears in my eyes constantly when that god damn sad theme came.It would have been so nice to see Zabuza and Haku come back and be good,but that would go against their morala??
So this is how Sasuke came back to life.Pretty weird,considering that he literally said he was dying,but I am 100% happy that he's back.I hope we'll get to see more of this village in the future.
Really sad to se Zabuza go :(.He'll be missed.Villains beaten: 1.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 16, 2020 7:55 PM

Oct 2016
I seriously just started watching Naruto to not get so bored during the lockdown. I wasn't expecting it to be that good, I even remembered the "Zabuza Arc" as boring or too slow.
Oh boy was I SO wrong.
This first mission establishes the rules of what being a shinobi in this world means, it's filled with a reasonable amount of sorrow and is kind of motivating too.
I now understand why Naruto was so popular back then, it was filled with emotion, great strategies and in some fight scenes the animation rises up from 1 to 100. They even animated syncronizing and detailed lip sync, something that is rarely seen in anime (most lip flaps in anime consist in only 3 different frames).
It isn't not only better than I expected, this is probably one of the best arcs in the whole series, it's a shame as the story makes progress it keeps getting worse. At least is good that Naruto had a strong beginning.
BollyPloxApr 16, 2020 8:02 PM
Apr 17, 2020 1:43 AM

Apr 2020
Zabuza and Haku hands down one of my favorite villians so far!
Apr 25, 2020 2:00 AM
Mar 2020
Ninah said:
i cried. i'm also convinced this was a gay love story in the passing and not in a derogatory way.

i think its more like a father - son relation
Sep 2, 2020 3:26 PM
Sep 2020
I was crying the hole episode
Oct 27, 2020 2:25 PM
Jun 2020
My favorite episode of Naruto so far
Oct 28, 2020 7:42 AM

May 2020
Really a good episode !!
Feb 15, 2021 8:19 AM

Dec 2007
naruto and his cliche moments xD
at least he effected zabuza.

finally end of average plus arc,
now it's time to masterpiece one :p
May 25, 2021 3:10 PM
Dec 2018
Bruh, this is way better than people say it is. I this might even be philosophically deeper than FMA:B in some ways.
Jun 3, 2021 3:56 AM

May 2019
This is the second time I am watching this arc. First time was 18/19, I am now almost 23.

In the past I thought this arc was boring and only wanted fights. I now loved this arc! This was very emotional with that OST, I almost cried. They really face now the reality of being a shinobi.

Naruto is a fantastic anime!
Nov 28, 2021 2:00 PM
Nov 2019
Dang R.I.P. Zabuza and Haku. I remember watching this way back in middleschool, what a great arc and memorable villains.
Jan 28, 2022 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
Weak arc but very important. I think the arc was not thought/made to have fighting as the main focus, in a shōnen animanga the fight/conflict is most of the time indispensable, let's face it, but in this case it wasn't such a problem for me.

I think the focus of this arc is the story and development of the main characters: What is it like to be a shinobi? Is that being a shinobi? Is the world like this? People use and are used? Will I become evil if I become strong? How tough, evil and bad can the shinobi world be? The "maturing" or rather: the opening of the eyes to the real world is the real objective of this arc imo.

The arc's a basic and necessary base for the rest of the animanga.

It also presents some "complexities" such as the presence of martyrs, ideologies, philosophies, etc. I enjoyed that.

Not the best, but one of the most important and probably one of the most memorable.
Oct 12, 2022 2:59 PM
Dec 2015
Great episode.
This one episode here has better movement sequence and character body and facial consistency than many of modern anime where characters look awkward.
The industry went down in quality the time thy decided to turn everything into digital art...
Oct 17, 2022 7:48 AM

Jun 2019
It's my first time watching Naruto properly, this Episode was simply Beautiful!
Tearjerkingly Beautiful.

Excited to see the Journey our fellas will be going through!
Oct 21, 2022 9:02 AM

Aug 2022
This episode always makes me cry.
Oct 31, 2022 10:58 PM

Aug 2014
IM CRYING SO MUCH I LOVE NARUTO MEOW
It appears, as is the way of the causality of life, that many of my former companions – at least, those humans with which I shared at least somewhat meaningful bonds – have moved on to other realms, protected by such charms and spells that make me incapable of pushing past those boundaries to follow them.
Dec 22, 2022 4:26 AM

Dec 2021
Very emotional episode RIP Zabuza and Haku :'(. I'm glad Sasuke isn't dead. I thought Gato was like a mafia boss feared by every one but I guess not. His guards were a bunch of granpas not interested in defending him, they just let Zabuza kill Gato idk why XD maybe the demon inside Zabuza froze them with fear. Anyway I'm still very happy. Onto next one!
Jan 6, 2023 1:51 PM

May 2022
really beautiful scene with haku and zabuza with the snow falling and its connection to their village

"I want to see his face.." </3
leaudJan 6, 2023 3:06 PM
Jan 22, 2023 4:15 PM
Jul 2021
great episode but not the best
Feb 4, 2023 4:46 AM
Jan 2022
the bast episode in the history of anime
Feb 13, 2023 10:42 AM

Feb 2014
To think I will actually miss that fucker. Haku especially didn't deserve to die. He was a good trap guy.
Bororus_Rooroo said:
Bruh, this is way better than people say it is. I this might even be philosophically deeper than FMA:B in some ways.
Yeah, so far this has a lot more humanity and soul than FMAB, despite getting a bit melodramatic at times. Even the comedy is better. I'm actually looking forward to the next arcs and feel invested in the story. It's giving me a bit of Avatar The Last Airbender vibes when it comes to the adventure aspect.
Feb 20, 2023 11:03 PM

Oct 2020
So I guess Haku intentionally avoided killing Sasuke, instead opting to immobilize him?  
Interesting end to this arc. It was nice to see Gato and his goons disposed of so I assume we don't need to worry about him anymore 
Mar 11, 2023 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
That was a nice way to end this arc. Of course, it's tragic that Zabuza died without having expressed to Haku how much he meant to him during their time together. But at the very least, Naruto got him to open up about his feelings towards Haku and defend his body against Gato's disrespect. As some people have said in previous discussions, some parts dragged due to their being more dialogue than fighting. But with that being said, I liked the intricacies of this arc with the complex situation of the Land of Waves, the importance that Kaiza had in the courage of Inari and the natives of the Land of Waves, and the backstories on Zabuza and Haku along with the details of their relationship and motivations. I don't remember this arc being one of my favorites as a kid. But as for a rewatch, I thought this arc was good.
May 16, 2023 11:37 AM
May 2023
first episode where a lot of the character development came to shine
Jun 8, 2023 12:52 PM
Jun 2023
Haku's ending was heartbreaking, and originally i thought Zabuza was a real monster for not caring, but seeing him die by his side was the first moment in the series so far that made me truly cry.
Jul 18, 2023 7:50 PM

Sep 2017
10/10 very sad, very epic
Nov 12, 2023 11:19 AM

Jul 2017
Best episode so far i loved it and Zabuza x Haku story is truly iconic
Jan 3, 2:08 AM

Jul 2020
ok I think now I'm getting into it, this episode was quite good, the best so far
too bad the main lead is useless and annoying, just like in Bleach. But at least Orihime was good-looking; and Sakura's simping is on another insane fucking level. still waiting for a decent-looking girl to appear in this show...
Jan 8, 2:37 PM
Oct 2016
Haku and Zabuza is deep and strong story is amazing how Zabuza express emotions at the end of the episode
Mar 17, 3:09 PM
Oct 2023
I cried

In the end idk if I like Zabuza and Haku or not..
Mar 26, 2:12 AM
Jan 2022
Okay, liked it, the ending was good. I wish sakura never existed
Mar 31, 6:11 PM

Oct 2023
A great first arc!

While perhaps a little one sided towards the end, the conflict as a whole felt well earned. The way shinobi operate in this world has become more apparent. It's a simple story, but damn effective at getting the point across. Great fights throughout too!

Zabuza and Haku both had a disdain for Gato from the beginning, and seeing them both more or less come to terms and accept our main crew for what they are creates a solid character arc for them both. Zabuza in particular stands out, as he doesn't need to explain himself much if at all. He did use Haku as a tool, just as he says, but their relationship clearly had a greater depth from the start. Haku had won over this hardened ninja and made him realize these things about humanity way before Kakashi and Naruto came along. His killing of Gato only solidified these feelings for himself, and made it clear to our protagonists that he's not an entirely evil person.

Beyond that, the sort of foil dynamic between Naruto and Haku is extremely well done. It's slightly obvious as an angle being taken as soon as they meet off the battlefield, but it still works despite that. I'd say even more so than the rivalry that's been had between Naruto and Sasuke so far, even though that's also been entertaining.

Really can't wait to see where this goes next. The next arc is supposedly even better, at least so I've heard.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto Episode 60 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 1, 2009

26 by Matheus050 »»
Apr 25, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 186 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 30, 2009

26 by shoelaze »»
Apr 25, 3:21 AM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 148 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 20, 2009

19 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 24, 8:52 PM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 144 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 19, 2009

16 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 23, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 97 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Aug 8, 2009

27 by Darzaka »»
Apr 23, 10:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.