Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 27, 2008 8:18 AM

Jul 2007
10/10 I liked this season much better than the first, although it was very sad. Yuuko was my favourite, followed closely by Miki. There's something odd though with Miki, like she doesn't remember Himura or Kuze from when she was a kid (and neither do they?) that was odd.

My gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/hikaritokyo/AnimeEfATaleOfMelodies

Btw I don't agree with the whole "be strong and live on..", if you love someone that much, you shall cherish and miss her forever, no point in moving on without her.
KotoriDec 27, 2008 8:29 AM
Dec 27, 2008 9:51 AM

Jun 2008
I thought it was pretty good. not exactly an amazing last episode but still good. I'll give this anime a 7.8/10

my main complaint about it was the way Yuuko died.
Dec 27, 2008 7:23 PM
Jul 2008
Beautifully beautiful.

i personally thought the ending was sad at the end of the episode, but it turned out to be good.

and the few sayings after the japanese op song made it even better.

planning for rewatch soon.
Dec 27, 2008 11:14 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
slayer545-sama said:
noteDhero said:
Cloud1234 said:
noteDhero said:
Well, that was a meaningful ending, but...the ends just don't justify the means for me. This season was a practical copycat of last season, and, figuratively I get it, but everything was just so dramatically predictable that this show really lost its impact. Everyone except fore Yuuko and, technically, Himura get a happy ending, and pretty bows get tied to all of the plot lines. I was just particularly underwhelmed by what was a pretty good show in Memories. I don't know...this show will probably get somewhere between a 4-6, I'll just have to sleep on it.

So it was predictable that Amamiya will burn himself. It was predictable that Yuko will die in a car accident. It was predictable how all the characters were chained together. If Yuko and Himura will actually meet and what will they say was predictable.
What ever if you can read the future thats fine for you.
Anyways i loved this season as well. Another unique creation that follows Memories steps. It completes the 1st season so match. It was really well-made. The animation the music the openings the endings.Everything.
I loved Yuuko so much.Im amazed at how much the character development was in only 12 eps.Well anyways i gave it 9/10. Really nice.
PS> At the ending of final ep When Himura broke the nails and left himself free i got the chills.

It was predictable because, generally, it was the same structure as Memories. Yuuko was clearly dead in Memories, so when the scene came around in Melodies, I knew she was going to get hit by a car, it was almost shot for shot from Rumbling Hearts. I said so in the discussion there if you don't believe me. Amamiya had to die, but did I know he was going to die in a fire...no. All the characters were linked together from the beginning in Memories, so no, it's not predictable, it's just an established fact. Nothing Yuuko or Himura said to each other was at all original. The gist of the converstation was, "Here's the gift I couldn't give to you, but you gave me the gift of loving you, and now I'm alright now that you're dead...I just had to say that to you." Not at all original.

I can't read the future, but what is overdone is overdone. What I liked about Memories is that it was rather daring in how they presented the show, especially concerning direction, lenses, and perspective. But there were too many times in Melodies where I was saying to myself "that's just like this scene in Memories, or this storyline in Melodies really feels the same as this storyline in Memories."

As I said, that may have been the goal from the beginning to parallel Himura's vision of creating the city in Austrailia, but it definitely was at the behest of having a fresh story, and fresh visuals.

Don't feel the same as you noteDhero but I understand your point. Then again shouldn't this parallel thing you mentioned essential to making Melodies work with Memories. I don't think it would work out otherwise.

Yeah, that was just an assumption. I really do think that this feeling of parallel-ness or sameness between the two is intentional, but for me it feel more rehash than nostalgic i guess.

I think both series where originally supposed to air together. That would explain why they feel almost the exact same.

The second season, in my opinion, was too rushed and less artistic and emotional then the first one. It really was predictable for the most part. They used a lot of generic things from other popular romance dramas which I found strange considering the first season was more original and more shocking. I felt way more emotions in the first one then in this one.

This episode in particular was way rushed and felt out of place. I was expecting them to pick up from where they left off in the last episode and explain what Mizuki wrote on the paper. In staid it felt like we where missing a whole episode's worth of content.

The ending was indeed touching...I just wish they spent more time on the rest of the series. I still think the first season was the best and don't plan on changing my mind.

BTW. Yuuko was born in 1982 and Yuu is Yuuko's sempi so we can guess that Kuze is 27 and Mizuki is turning 18 (Kuze says "next year Mizuki will be an adult."). Thats way to much of an age difference for me. Totally destroyed any hope of my accepting their relationship.
Dec 28, 2008 12:01 AM

Nov 2007
I don't really see anything wrong with the age difference between Mizuki and Kuze. Anyway, great ending episode. What I really loved the most about this episode, and episode 11 is how they brought together the plots from memories and melodies. Plus, I just loved how they changed the videos.

It's not as good as the first season, but it's still getting a 9/10 from me.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Dec 28, 2008 3:35 AM

Mar 2008
and that ends of the whole Ef series.

can't say there wasn't any boring bits (in the middle of the series), but this is certainly awesome XD
Dec 28, 2008 4:59 AM

Oct 2007
"Two becomes One
Forever, throughout all eternity."

I bawled Q_____Q
Dec 28, 2008 11:23 PM

Jul 2007
A beautiful ending for an awesome series~!
It's the show that I most enjoyed this anime season 10/10. x3
Dec 29, 2008 2:18 PM

Nov 2007
And so ends the ef series. Not as good as the first season, but nevertheless a great ending.

I take icon requests.
Dec 30, 2008 3:33 AM

Jul 2007
@ Deathfired
Well i can accept as a couple (Cause i know 3 cases like that) but i just cant accept that thay can possible fell in love that much...

And what regards predictable or overused "moments". Im dont watch emotional anime in general. If you take out Kanon i dont remember anything similar to Yuukos Death. I was amazed by the first season and so i was be the second. I cant think clearly now cause i just finished melodies and it still affects me.Mayve memories is better but i still likes both of them. I appreciate that the animation and the music was as good as the first season and that they explained something that they didnt in the first.

So if you watch that many of emotional animes you might found it predictable or boring dunno. For me it was neither of that.Just an awesome anime that made me wanna watch each ep right after the other.And i had to do that a long time now.

Ps> That yuuko will die was a fact. We knew that from the first season. That amamiya would die was the same. I mean he wasnt reffered at all at first season so its logical. The thing is to watch how. And dont kid me in a fair amount of animes its quite easy to tell whos gonna die and whos gonna live. The thing is to surprize you.I believe Himura will kill him not that he will commit suicide by burning himself.
Dec 30, 2008 2:00 PM

Apr 2008
Beautiful ending, I really liked the final messages. But i'm so sad that ef series ends here ._____.

Dec 30, 2008 7:29 PM

Apr 2007
That was such a great ending and I have absolutely no complaints. I love how they changed the opening and the reunion of Yuuko and Yuu was so sweet T___T

I'm struggling with the score...9/10 for now, but I might lower it to an 8.
Dec 31, 2008 2:58 AM

Mar 2008
Emotional end of a great anime.

I gave the first season a full score and it's a real shame, but I can only give this 2nd season a 9/10, because it was clearly not as good as the first one.

My complaints are a lack of mystery and exciting twists. Yuuko's death was obvious from the beginning, the only questions were "when" and "how". The "how" bothered me though. It was not that emotional and getting hit by a car in a hit and run might be realistic and there could have been a worse reason, but I am not really contend with this. Moreover they didn't use the scene as much as they could have used it. In the game it's clearly better.
My other complaint was the dragged out Kuze/Miki arc. While I like those characters, especially Miki and it was a great artistic way to describe Kuze's condition (it surely is something dramatic and not too uncommon), I felt they made it a bit over dramatic and spent too much time on meaningless scenes.
Generally, in season 1 there were only two of those great artistic scenes (the 99 messages and the telephone call). That was really original and awesome, but they used those things way too often in season 2. Moreover in rather meaningless ways using random words. It was a little bit annoying and overused for my taste, though the first while Yuuko described her wounds, was terrifying awesome. But the others in the Kuze arc were not too great.
Some scenes even felt a bit cheesy this time around.
Another thing is the story. This time they used some of the worst things that could happen to create emotions: Rape, abuse, DV, mass suicide with little children, a deadly disease, a deadly accident. They used all those things in this season compared to the two things in season 1 (Chihiro's memory issue and Miyako's childhood) and failed to create more emotions in my heart. That's ridiculous ironic. Using tanks and still getting beaten by spears ... Well, I know most people think this 2nd season was better, but then again it could not be that better. When you put this in relation to the means they used this time ...

Nevertheless a great anime with great art and a good story all in all. SHAFT succeeded again with their original art style which is so amazing that I can't find the proper words. Excellent BGM and songs and a very original thing to change the opening almost every episode. That's awesome!
Dec 31, 2008 3:18 PM
Oct 2008
Saw the last episode last night, nearly made me cry. Watched it again this morning, had to try to stop myself from crying. I just can't not give this series a 10/10, everything was done really well. The last episode was truly beautiful, especially the part when Yuu said he will be okay without her while trying not to blink (Yuu lies when he blink). You can see when he said "I've always love you", his eyes are wide open, then straight after that, he was blinking like there's no end.
Jan 1, 2009 9:00 AM

Apr 2007
M_A said:
The blinding positivity in this episode has left me disoriented.

agreed.

I liked the ending, was expecting something different, tho, from such a great series ef is.

8/10
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jan 1, 2009 1:09 PM

Mar 2008
even thought this is a bitersweet ending, i don't feel sad at all when i finish the anime
Jan 1, 2009 1:30 PM

Jun 2007
this was indeed a great and (not in a bad way) very positive ending to an amazing show like ef.

Even if it was only for a glimpse I liked the first season better
but that doesn't change the fact that both were excellent and stunning.
Jan 2, 2009 12:16 PM
Jul 2008
I hated it. I thought that the plots were completely ridiculous and over-dramatic. Memories was infinitely better in my mind: this season was a horrible attempt at creating a more dramatic plot-line with some weak philosophical speeches and a very, very predictable story.

This is all my opinion of course, and I did try to give this series many chances--about 6--after I decided I hated it around 6 episodes in, I was waiting for a better plot to arise. I was probably expecting too much from this anime and maybe its my fault for not liking it, for looking for something too deep in a children's TV show.
Jan 2, 2009 3:09 PM

Apr 2008
You know, when I first started watching anime I thought I'd only stick to cool sci-fi or fantasy shows (I started off with the likes of Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh!) and thought I'd never watch an anime like this one. And now here I am finsihing such an anime and giving it a 10/10 score (I'd give it 11 it was allowed!). In this case I think what really did it for me was the approach to the animation and the direction. Shaft have used a similar style for Pani Poni Dash and Sayonara Zetsoubo (bet I spelt that wrong) Sensei and in the case of those two it added to the weirdness and the comedy of it. In the case of Ef however it made it look much more artistic and serious and I loved it. I also hope that Yuuko's voice artist gets more roles in the future (since according to MAL Yuuko is her only role) because I thought she was excellent, in fact I think she deserves a reward for the end of Melodies episode 6 alone.
Jan 3, 2009 12:30 AM
Dec 2008
Melodies was better than Memories. The former was more emotional, had a wider theme, used more refined symbols and psychological elements. Definitely a huge leap from its rather childish prequel.

Memories gets a 7. Melodies gets an 8, maybe a 9.
Jan 3, 2009 2:44 AM

Jul 2007
KKDW said:
I also hope that Yuuko's voice artist gets more roles in the future (since according to MAL Yuuko is her only role) because I thought she was excellent, in fact I think she deserves a reward for the end of Melodies episode 6 alone.

Hell yeah she was amazing !!!!

At Magnetic and Chopper_Tonokai:

You are both terribly wrong and you fail at expressing your own opinion. I wont even bother to respond to the likes of you.

Jan 3, 2009 4:09 PM
Dec 2008
Cloud1234 said:

You are both terribly wrong and you fail at expressing your own opinion. I wont even bother to respond to the likes of you.

I don't care if you liked or disliked my opinion. And you have absolutely no right to say that whose opinion or right or wrong. It's just an opinion. If you didn't like it, you shouldn't have responded in first place. Do you expect me to write a 20 page thesis on it? Take a chill pill kid. It's just a forum. Everyone has his/her own right to have a say, and you have no business to boss around.
Jan 4, 2009 7:24 AM

Dec 2008
The best anime forever!
Outstanding ending for the two
Jan 4, 2009 6:27 PM

Oct 2008
Wonderful ending, I liked the two seasons but in my opinion memories was more emotional
Jan 4, 2009 6:31 PM

Jul 2008
Cloud1234 said:

You speak the thruth :3.

Amazing ending, even tough I got spoiled most the serie by a retard who watch raw I really enjoyed it even tough I knew what was going to happen.
Which is good because it mean the feeling the show give cannot be told by word alone, you have to experience it yourself to judge and make your own opinion of the show.

Ef a tales of melodies ftw, best show this season.
Jan 5, 2009 4:30 PM
Jul 2008
Chopper_Tonakai said:
Cloud1234 said:

I don't care if you liked or disliked my opinion. And you have absolutely no right to say that whose opinion or right or wrong. It's just an opinion. If you didn't like it, you shouldn't have responded in first place. Do you expect me to write a 20 page thesis on it? Take a chill pill kid. It's just a forum. Everyone has his/her own right to have a say, and you have no business to boss around.

Told.
Jan 6, 2009 8:55 AM

Feb 2008
Great and heartbreaking end of an amazing and artistically outstanding show. ^^

Nevertheless, I have to agree with the people which say that "memories" felt somehow more thought-out and intense. So I will give this show a very strong 8/10!

slayer545-sama said:
SisterStrange said:

slayer545-sama said:

In spoiler
1.What is THAT!? Mizuki is to be with Kuze so she is cheating already?

I believe you've forgotten a very important fact...

Guess it was that symbolic, my bad *_* I guess I did not like her blushing. I did not intend it like that but I guess the point being was her blushing. That's all.

Well, personally I get the feeling slayer545's theory is not that far off. For me Mizuki and Yuu seem to be older in that scene. Mizuki even says that she is an adult now. That implies that at least one year has passed. But there is no Kuze around. So maybe he died already. And we all know that Mizuki has a preference for older men. So, of course she would blush holding hands with the best (single) friend of her former lover. ;)
Jan 6, 2009 8:22 PM
Nov 2007
This anime tells a beautiful story.
I was deeply moved.
It's a really awesome anime!
Jan 6, 2009 10:26 PM

Dec 2008
And comes an end to a great story.
This anime was diffrent from the other anime that's aired so far. This anime had it's own visual style and story telling. I love how everything in the anime was intricate and blended together. Now, hopefully, others will have the same effect as this one did, although I don't think that's possible. This is the only anime where I have actually cried while watching. The emotions felt while viewing were incredible.
And... you gotta love Makato's artwork, he's simply amazing.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Lunatic-kr&sclick=1]

Jan 8, 2009 12:43 AM

Aug 2007
I have numerous complaints regarding this season, even this episode is no exception, but a certain key scene was just too powerful for words to convey. When Yuuko was bidding farewell to Yuu and move on with his life...that was just beautiful. I got all teary eyed watching that scene. I never knew such simple words could evoke such powerful emotions and that I feel is the strength of the ef series. The emotions portrayed in the imagery, the masterful bgm tracks, and the characters themselves leave you in the edge of your seats.

Though numerous the complaints...they were nearly forgotten as the two finally meet once again...and they're final farewells...

In the end, this was indeed a fairy tale of the two. Now I just have to play the VN now...*sigh*...better get ready for a long haul...

And no Yuukyu no Tsubasa? Its the damn theme song! Boo! xD
Jan 8, 2009 5:55 AM

Jun 2008
Awh, -__- <3 this is so sad, but it was really good. I teared up a very little bit, but everything went by really well. I expected something like this, D: I like how things relate to that same roof, it's just so wonderful. I'll miss ef - <3
Jan 18, 2009 8:41 PM
Sep 2008
OMG, I just recently watched the whole series, I was amazed how it was connected to the first season and at the same time got a bit depressed, because the story was so sad and on the other hand it was a great anime masterpiece. I would give this a 5/5. Is there an english version of this game and on what platform? Is there a PC version? kindly send me a PM if it's ok =D

Two thumbs up*

I nearly cried on ep 10 LOL
Jan 20, 2009 3:58 PM

Dec 2008
I'm glad that they went for a different type of ending this time. The ending for memories was wayy too happy. Literally everyone got what they wanted. I really hate those kinds of endings :P, but that's just me. There was a lot more drama in this series also when compared to memories. Basically, all that I'm trying to say is...

Melodies>memories
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Lunatic-kr&sclick=1]

Feb 9, 2009 1:11 PM
Nov 2008
it was quite beautiful, but i think it could've been alot more emotional, everyone is saying it was sad, but i thought it was happy, i usually get pretty emotional, but i didn't!
it was still amazing, i really wish they come out with another season!
Mar 13, 2009 7:56 PM

Aug 2007
I enjoyed this series a lot. I was hooked on the first season, and the second season was just as awesome. I cried more during the first season though.

9/10
Mar 14, 2009 4:22 PM
May 2008
great ending again
Mar 18, 2009 4:31 PM

Jan 2009
Wonderfull, Fantastic, Artistic, Awesome, Gorgeus.

The only one that didn't end up happy was Himura, i feel kinda sad for him. But it was really a master piece. The Scene roof with Yuuko... was heartbraking, i teared up there.

10/10 for me.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Mar 22, 2009 5:44 PM

Aug 2008
Another beautiful artistic masterpiece however I felt the execution and theme was cleaner and more precise in memories, so melodies: 9/10.
Mar 22, 2009 7:48 PM

Aug 2008
Epic style. I liked all the symbolism and drama, they were fabulous.
Just for this Shaft becomes one of my favorite studios in the industry ^^
This bittersweet ending was just the one I was hoping for, since they get to you the more xD
That said I'll rate this @ 10/10 :D
Apr 7, 2009 6:20 PM

Jan 2009
Liked it as good as first season.
Art is great!
No problem with drama and emotions in this series.
At #6 in BD collection.
Apr 9, 2009 3:42 PM

Dec 2007
Great ending, albeit a little sad to see Yuuko go. u_u; Overall a great series, well deserving of a 9/10 from me.
Apr 13, 2009 11:36 PM

Oct 2008
Another beautiful ending. Although I felt some things were a little too cheesy for my liking, this was a great series overall. The art is better, the directing is really good; placement of background music, songs, etc were all done really well.

I also really loved how they tied in melodies to memories and connected everything together in the end. The last part of the anime where the characters were talking; the statements they were making and the words they were using really got me. It was Blindingly Positive. I really loved it.

For some reason though, I feel that melodies is slightly below memories in terms of the impact I felt. Maybe it's because I've seen some similar scenes somewhere before in other anime series, or maybe because I felt that some of the things done in melodies have already been done in memories.

My biggest complaint though is the fact that Yuuko's death in the melodies anime doesn't quite have the impact of Yuuko's death in the Visual Novel. After reading about the way Yuuko died in the Visual Novel, I feel that it would have made much more impact if SHAFT had done her death that way instead of the way she died in the anime.

I'm not really sure about the rating I should give melodies. It's definitely higher than an 8, and close to, yet not quite a 9.
May 1, 2009 2:59 PM

Oct 2008
Liked this series quite a bit, but it fell short of memories in my opinion. The artwork and everything was top notch but the supernatural thing at the end with Yuuko coming back was a bit lame.. I mean come on she dies years before and then comes back without a scratch on her body.

Still don't get me wrong it was an awesome story with a very good plot. Loved the whole Yuuko x Himura parts, and towards the end I ending up almost liking the Mizuki x Kuze parts.

Very good anime, but not as good as the first season. 9/10 from me.
May 27, 2009 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
Hmm... that was good. ebullient future sounds a loooooot better in Jap.
Good series. 8/10
Jun 22, 2009 9:19 AM
Dec 2008
The story, the flow, the graphics, the sound, the characters... One word to describe: Perfect.

10/10
Jun 22, 2009 2:15 PM

Apr 2009
That was really sad...T_T
A great ending^-^

Though I still can't get over Yuuko's death...T_T
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jul 18, 2009 9:00 PM

Sep 2008
game8910 said:
IMO the scene of Yuu saying he was alrght but clearly lying (blinking) was just amazing

Yeah I agree, that part made me tear up a lot T.T

GothicQueen said:
That was really sad...T_T
A great ending^-^

Though I still can't get over Yuuko's death...T_T

I can't get over Yuuko's death either T.T

Wow how am I supposed to watch something else after completing masterpieces like Memories and Melodies D:

Jul 30, 2009 4:43 AM

Jul 2009
Sniff~ this episode was so great...

Unfortunately I couldn't shed a real tear, and I don'tthink I ever did for a while...(I was quite close to doing so with Clannad, and Ef ~ a tale of memories )

This episode was very gentle (both in terms of plot and the art style) compared to quite a lot of episodes from ef a tale of melodies, which I thought was very nicely done, since those kind of small touches impart us with good memories of the series. I don't think I would have enjoyed the series half as much if the ending was tragic, say if Kuze died, Yuuko never meeting Yuu kun and etc. Though this episode was lacking suspense and drama some of the other episodes had, it was still great and nicely tied up all the loose ends.

I will definitely rewatch from the first series since I forgot some details like people's names. Also I didn't realize that the stories were set in two different countries for quite a while so I will need to watch out for that (Better yet could somebody explainthat for me plz???)

Also, it was a very nice touch, when Yuu kun blinked constantly when he was reassuring Yuuko that he is fine.
randomness2376Jul 30, 2009 4:50 AM

Aug 3, 2009 7:31 PM

Jul 2009
Memories >>>> Melodies.

The love between Mitsuki and Kuze seemed so shallow, superficial, and overall, fake and unbelievable. Honestly, it was disgusting and a pain to watch them both.

The other story, Yuu and Yuuko, was touching and sweet, but yet they are the ones stuck with the "bad" ending.

I'm sick. Ugh.
Aug 15, 2009 12:30 AM

Jun 2009
Definitely one of the best romance series i've ever seen, the Yuu and Yuuko story was freaking beautiful. 9/10, I honestly can't believe anyone would rate it lower than that.

Btw, it was interesting that Yuu and Yuko effectively are the primary protagonists throughout ef. Puts the first season in perspective.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Nov 10, 2008

191 by lucio54 »»
Dec 18, 2023 7:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 16, 2008

87 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 8, 2008

196 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 2, 2008

84 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 24, 2008

89 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.