Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 3, 2013 6:52 AM

Aug 2009
nil- said:
Also wouldn't hurt to rewrite the Purpose section in the OP, or at least, the first paragraph.

Indeed. I just read the "purpose" part in the OP (I hadn't paid attention to it before), and I can see why the mod would be put off by it.
Apr 3, 2013 7:03 AM

Feb 2012
Yeah, I'll be re-writing the Original Post to make it more professional, I had typed it to go with the sarcastic styling of the club, however this can be changed as it was more or less in good fun then it was the actual 'purpose'. (In terminology as opposed to the actual meaning.)
Apr 3, 2013 7:35 AM

Feb 2012
Alright, It's updated, anything you feel I should change/add please let me know.
Apr 3, 2013 10:42 AM

Sep 2012
It looks good to me. I don't see how it would be perceived as mean-spirited.

And I agree with ForgoneReality; if we make a review, that would be proof of our actual intentions. It would be an example of our work, and we wouldn't go that far if our only goal was just to be sarcastic.
Apr 4, 2013 7:15 AM

Jun 2011
I can't believe we forgot to do this (seems obvious in hindsight), but we should put a link to the New MAL Review Guidelines in the disclaimer to writers section on the first page.
Apr 6, 2013 9:34 AM

Oct 2012
How are the writers going? I'm currently writing my Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei review. It's not the simplest series to talk about so it may take a while. How about the others?
Apr 6, 2013 9:37 AM

Jun 2011
I'm re-watching Kaiba, so that I can write the review for that.
Apr 6, 2013 9:42 AM

Jun 2012
Waiting until the whole situation gets green-lit I guess. No point in writing if we can't post them anyway, and I really need people to edit my shitty syntax.

Moreover we discussed that we would do reviews of good series first so my turn has to wait
Apr 6, 2013 9:46 AM

Jun 2011
Valkyrion said:
Waiting until the whole situation gets green-lit I guess.

I'm still in relay with the Mod. I'm waiting for a response to my second appeal, which included the offering of a written review. She hasn't declined reading it yet, so I'd like to finish what we can and then present them at the nearest date possible. (Given that she does agree to read one or two.)
Apr 7, 2013 8:57 AM

Jun 2011
SYSTEMS ARE A GO!!!

The Mod is willing to read a review of ours to better determine the fate of our operations.
EDITORS: Hopefully I'll be able to get my review to you in a couple of days!
Apr 7, 2013 10:15 AM

Jun 2012

Success!
Apr 7, 2013 12:49 PM

Feb 2012

Apr 11, 2013 6:02 AM

Jun 2012
Shall I start reviewing Ore no Imouto?

I'm fairly knowledgeable about that title in particular in both the series and "meta-series" aspects of it, having read a lot about it and watched twice.

also, the new season is currently airing.
Apr 11, 2013 7:08 AM

Jun 2011
Valkyrion said:
Shall I start reviewing Ore no Imouto?
I'm fairly knowledgeable about that title in particular in both the series and "meta-series" aspects of it, having read a lot about it and watched twice.
also, the new season is currently airing.

That's fine. You need to get at least two editors on board for it to be a club review though.
I've seen it, (don't remember a whole lot but I at least know the series) so I could be a 1st editor on it. You just need someone to be a 2nd.
Apr 12, 2013 11:56 PM

Oct 2012
Just finished my Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei review. Let's begin the editing and make it a review worth our approval.
Apr 13, 2013 4:46 AM

Apr 2009
Sorry for asking these questions although I am not completely caught up with the complete procedure, but what about the input of other users in a review?

Oh, and humbly offer my services should we decide to review One Piece (which would probably lead to an entire thesis about it if nobody stops me from going overboard).
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 13, 2013 4:55 AM

Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Sorry for asking these questions although I am not completely caught up with the complete procedure, but what about the input of other users in a review?

What do you mean by that, Nid?
Apr 13, 2013 5:00 AM

Feb 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
Just finished my Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei review. Let's begin the editing and make it a review worth our approval.
I'm far from the end of the show :(
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Apr 13, 2013 5:04 AM

Oct 2012
Sh0wdown said:
Ducat_Revel said:

It's alright. It has to go through the first editorial department first before going to yours. You still have time to finish it. :D
Apr 13, 2013 6:57 AM

Jun 2011
Ducat_Revel said:
Nidhoeggr said:

What do you mean by that, Nid?

I think he was referring to having our members read it. Ones that haven't seen the show to genuinely tell us if it is a useful review to the MAL community. I think. Because we do have other users established as 1st and 2nd editors to critique the review otherwise, Nid.

Oh, and I've only got 2 episodes and a couple of paragraphs left before Kaiba's done.
Apr 13, 2013 7:03 AM

Oct 2012
Thanks for clarifying. If that's thecase, I think that once the review is fully edited, we'll let the group see it first before we release it out in MAL.

Good job on you Kaiba review. It's amazing that the first few reviews are on Masaaki Yuasa works. I'm really excited. I can't wait to get mine out.
Apr 13, 2013 7:14 AM

Aug 2009
Ducat_Revel said:

Are you going to send it to us editors via PM? Or post it here?
Sry if it's a dumb question, I am not 100% sure what we agreed on about this procedure.
metamorphiusApr 13, 2013 7:17 AM
Apr 13, 2013 7:17 AM

Jun 2011
metamorphius said:
Ducat_Revel said:

Sry, I am not 100% sure what we agreed on about this procedure.

I think it should definitely be through PM. That's what I was planning.
Apr 13, 2013 7:17 AM

Oct 2012
metamorphius said:
Ducat_Revel said:

Sry, I am not 100% sure what we agreed on about this procedure.

I was thinking about this too. What's more convenient for you, meta?
Apr 13, 2013 7:19 AM

Aug 2009
ForgoneReality said:

I think it should definitely be through PM. That's what I was planning.

I see. Well, that's what I thought too.

Ducat_Revel said:

I was thinking about this too. What's more convenient for you, meta?

I don't mind whatever you decide, but I guess PMs are the way to go.
Apr 13, 2013 7:23 AM

Jun 2011
And don't worry meta, we never stated the procedure. There's a lot we haven't fully explored actually. This has been happening kind of fast, but once things get approved and everything becomes a bit more regular we'll sort out the fine details.
Apr 13, 2013 7:28 AM

Aug 2009
Ducat_Revel said:
Alright. I'll PM it to you now.

Got it. I'll try to tweak it up tonight if I have time. If I don't get around to it tonight, then definitely tomorrow.
Apr 13, 2013 7:32 AM

Jun 2011
Sh0wdown said:
Ducat_Revel said:

By the way, it's not necessary for you to have completed the series to still be a 2nd editor.

Editorial Department 2:

So even if you don't finish the series, it's not a big deal, nor would it hinder your ability as an editor.
Apr 13, 2013 11:37 AM

Oct 2012
Question concerning the overall score.

Is it just the writer's score that's taken in account or the writer and the 1st editors or the whole staff's score?
Apr 13, 2013 11:40 AM

Jun 2012
Imo the writer's score. He's the one writing and therefore justifying the score with argumentations.
Apr 13, 2013 11:41 AM

Jun 2011
The editors can give their input, or ask why a certain score is given, but it always comes down to the writers discretion for the final say.
Apr 13, 2013 11:47 AM

Oct 2012
Oh. Alright. Thanks for clarifying that.

Another thing, will the editors confer with each other? Let's use my Tatami Galaxy team as an example. Since I have three editors in the 2nd editorial department, does that mean they'll talk to each other about the final revision or will they submit me three individual revisions which I'll have to collate and final edit myself?

Also
The first revision is done. The second department of the Tatami Galaxy review can now start editing. -insert cheesy shounen inspirational speech-
Ducat_RevelApr 13, 2013 12:02 PM
Apr 13, 2013 12:16 PM

Feb 2013
Do you know any good online collaborative text tool ? One that might host a text and allow people to modify/comment it. I have a french website which fill that purpose but it's not that great, maybe you know one who does a better job: http://lite.framapad.org/p/DucatReview
Apr 13, 2013 12:26 PM

Jun 2011
If there's more than one member per department per title, I think it would be best for them to collaborate, and collectively give back the writer a single, revised copy.

Sh0wdown's thing is pretty cool, and until something better can be found (who knows what) that seems like the way to go.

EDIT: From now on, just set this up and PM the link to the other editors, since anyone can wander in and mess with the document.
EDITED AGAIN: That system actually worked out fantastic, with a lot of feedback. Don't bother with PMs.
ForgoneRealityApr 13, 2013 6:13 PM
Apr 13, 2013 12:29 PM

Aug 2009
I know a few collaborative editors (though I haven't used them in a while), but Showdown's editor seems fine to me.
Apr 13, 2013 2:20 PM

Feb 2013
I've read your review Ducat and posted some comments.

I won't comment what you wrote, the way you write is really ok, and i'm not in a position to complain about it, but i still want to point out that i'm not fond of the category format review. I think a review should focus on what the anime REALLY is about, what is the main topic and what's so good about it. Why you'll enjoy it, or not. I think noone really cares about our uber-opinion on the animation and the BGM quality, since each review ends most of the time saying the same stuff "the animation is great and the character design is ok", with some little variations here and there.

Regarding Tatami Galaxy, i wish people could easily and quickly read that this anime is about a freshman trying to reach a genuine girl while being hassled by a sadistic fiend. Then you can describe those three character a bit and write about the story telling, then finish with some technical particularities of the show.

I think our reviews should focus on wtf is this anime really about, why it's that good, and refrain to go for the 1-story 2-chars 3-sounds 4- zzzz. It always makes me think about:

Apr 13, 2013 2:25 PM

Feb 2012
Just saw sh0wdowns editor, nevermind my question.
Apr 13, 2013 2:43 PM

Dec 2012
Speaking of reviews, I'm going to start my Afro Samurai review soon. I've come down with a throat infection so I'm out of action for a while.
VentusCrossApr 17, 2013 11:26 PM
Apr 13, 2013 4:58 PM

Apr 2012
Sh0wdown said:
Do you know any good online collaborative text tool ? One that might host a text and allow people to modify/comment it. I have a french website which fill that purpose but it's not that great, maybe you know one who does a better job: http://lite.framapad.org/p/DucatReview

That collaborative text program is called EtherPad and was made open source a few years back. Most online editors these days use some flavored version of it. As for the best one that I know of, I can recommend http://sync.in/. It's the same as your site only with some added features (e.g. a time slider to see all revisions, and an off-to-the-side comments box for meta discussion). The interface is also more intuitive and you can see the users editing without hitting a fussy dropdown menu.
Apr 13, 2013 7:22 PM

Oct 2012
Alright. I read the feedback. It's useful. And I will redo it. There are thing's I'd like to point out though.

The editorial staff is set. The additional hands in the pie only serve to confuse the writer. I got your points though, and will use them. There just has to be a stronger sense of discipline when it comes to this. I'd like to avoid this in the future.

Can I get an example of a substantial review? I'd like to know just how substantial I can go.
Apr 13, 2013 8:31 PM

Apr 2011
Can I get an example of a substantial review? I'd like to know just how substantial I can go.

Shameless self-advertising, but I like my Buddha review. Maybe that will help, I don't know.
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
Apr 13, 2013 8:49 PM

Dec 2011
opernlied said:

Shameless self-advertising, but I like my Buddha review. Maybe that will help, I don't know.

I think this is a great example.

It is long though, and I think Forgone mentioned something about not wanting to write essays, but I also think the title (and our own rating for it) should be taken into consideration. For something like Tatami that's generally regarded as a great anime and great work of fiction, I think that a long or super in-depth review is perfectly acceptable, and that people who have seen it or potential viewers are the kind who wouldn't mind reading something lengthy as long as it's a good, informative review. (If the review ends up being long.)

Another that I was going to suggest is trzr23's review for FLCL.
EmmrysApr 13, 2013 8:59 PM
Apr 13, 2013 9:51 PM

Oct 2012
Alright. More procedural questions.

After I finish making the revision do I pass it straight to the 2nd department or back to meta in the 1st department? But to be honest, I think the 2nd department's taken it on themselves to do the 1st's job as well. The 2nd layer of editors should function to critique the form and grammar of the review, not the substance. Maybe it'd be more apt if the 2nd department and meta switched places.
Apr 13, 2013 10:03 PM

Dec 2011
This time I think you should send it to meta, since we're back at the start and this is another chance to practice the steps. We're also not on a time schedule and it's better to do this thoroughly than simply getting it done, too. We 2nd dept. editors were aware that we weren't sticking to purely technical changes, but we decided to include our other commentary since that was the way that it came to us.

It was to be expected that things are a little rough the first time around, but hopefully by the next time or the third, we should be at the point where everything goes more smoothly: the writer writes, the 1st editor(s) ok it and then it'll become a back and forth exchange between the 2nd editor(s) and the writer until it's ready to be sent of to the head.
Apr 14, 2013 8:31 AM

Aug 2009
I say do as you see fit, Ducat. I can switch places with others if you think they'd do a better job, I don't mind.

How I see it, I am a first department editor, but I am still not a writer. Thus, I will not change the whole structure of the review I am editing.
If I write a review myself, I probably won't break it down in sections, but I am certainly not going to impose my style an structuring when I am working as an editor.

In any case, you guys made some good suggestions. I think they should've been made before Ducat wrote his review, as some sort of general writing guidelines. But it's not too late, they can always be used for future reference.

Btw, I will soon start Harukana Machi-E review. Is there anyone interested in editing it? I know manga get a lot less coverage, so I am not sure if anyone even read it. I am aware I may be left with the second department only, but I think we should be able to make the review work even if that happens.
metamorphiusApr 14, 2013 8:46 AM
Apr 14, 2013 8:47 AM

Jun 2011
Eh, heh heh, uhm... I don't know what to do guys. I just finished my Kaiba review, and it's like 3 pages long.

I'm going to try and work with it a bit more, and then meta you'll get a copy.

After that, I suppose we put it up on the chopping block in the collaborative editor site. Anyone who's any part of the review team/departments feel free to come in and give your input.

------------

@meta and your review - I know nothing of the manga, so I couldn't be a 1st editor, but I'm always willing to help as a 2nd if you need me to. Good luck.
Apr 14, 2013 8:55 AM

Aug 2009
ForgoneReality said:
I just finished my Kaiba review treatise, and it's like 3 pages long.

Fix'd.

Just kidding, of course. I can't wait to read it.

As for Harukana Machi-E, I gladly accept your proposal for being a 2nd editor.
Apr 14, 2013 8:21 PM

Feb 2012
metamorphius said:
ForgoneReality said:
I just finished my Kaiba review treatise, and it's like 3 pages long.

Fix'd.

Just kidding, of course. I can't wait to read it.

As for Harukana Machi-E, I gladly accept your proposal for being a 2nd editor.

I to do not read a lot of manga however I will maintain my position as a 2nd editor if there is a need.

Also Ducat; Yeah we'll work on getting the process more sorted in a sense that the departments will stick to their designated jobs; we're all new to this and with time it will become a much more cleanly process.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.