Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 16, 2008 2:37 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Beautiful/Tearful (again)/a little funny but not much/emotional (love) episode! I want Kuze to live! Now I changed my opinion 180 degrees! Because Yuuko would not want otherwise!

Some more thoughts after initial cool down due to emotional pouring. Believe me it was a great emotional response.

Kuze breaking his masks! Finally I wanted him get willpower! Each time he broke a mask was like something within me was saying no way this dude was so bad then he actually does it and I meant that he overcomes what I though he would never even have strength to do. Guess the letter really motivated him with that key.

When Kuze went up the roof, I was surprised but even more about the fact that Mizuki kicked him. That might have caused what was that followed. The kick was a little payback for Kuze being mean to her. Well the whole Warum thing was not nice towards Mizuki at all from episode 7.

I noticed that Kuze actually thinks in German so I do think that Kuze likes the culture over there. It takes a lot of appreciation to think of another culture to the point of their language. This was really well illustrated through this part of the rooftop by having the German writing next to the Japanese one of Mizuki.

The colors, the ambiance, the art, and the proclamation of Mizuki's love for Kuze were done well and fine for me! Sure hit me emotionally since many times words forever and regardless kept ringing in my head.

Most surprised I was with how Mizuki's voice reached the rest of the parts (masks that were not broken and his other self) of Kuze and broke them to pieces. That was nice and great. Kuze's other selves and masks thus never had a chance to still own him.

Kuze after opening his arms was nice but pulling another one on Mizuki by doding the hug he prepared was not cool but Mizuki took it as a joke. Too tired so finifsh this later. Sorry big party was on 1 hours ago.

slayer545-samaDec 16, 2008 4:07 AM
please report all angel999 duplicate accounts to the mods asap
Dec 17, 2008 5:07 AM

Sep 2008
Wow. x_x

I don't liked KuzeMizuki on begining, but now I think its good.

Kuze breaking his masks was very cool! I can't wait for next opening too, I think they'll change it like 1st season.

I think Kuze will live, maybe a miracle will happen x_x

12 is the end. x_x I can't wait for it.
Dec 17, 2008 10:18 AM

Feb 2008
wow there were 4 songs in this episode
the opening n the ending(wit KuzeMizuki running together)
n the 1st season opening song in the middle of the show, love how they group the couples together
n the song yuuko sang to mizuki, omg mizuki sang it also :D

Dec 17, 2008 4:04 PM

Jan 2008
slayer545-sama said:
The colors, the ambiance, the art, and the proclamation of Mizuki's love for Kuze were done well and fine for me!

Me too! I liked the use of really colorful artwork in this episode.

Haha, I was pretty surprised when Mizuki did this too:
Dec 18, 2008 1:44 AM

Oct 2008
king4k2 said:

I agree that's what'll probably happen, even though I kinda wish it didn't. I think the episode would have ended better without that ending actually.

Nicely animated episode and it had a lots more music than I expected. Can't wait for next week's conclusion.
Dec 18, 2008 4:45 AM
Feb 2008
Kuze-Mizuki relationship still seems really shallow to me.

First season was much better, imo.
Dec 18, 2008 10:53 AM

Jul 2008
Ef ftw 15/5
Dec 18, 2008 12:21 PM

Jul 2007
woah

3 endings in 1 episode.
they really didn't know what to stuff in for the last few eps.
Dec 18, 2008 12:33 PM

Aug 2007
That kick was so ridiculous that it was funny.. Some things got explained, but I didn't know what exactly except something with the key and something with Yuuko. Watched the raw. Just that the heartbeat is back at the end, doesn't exactly mean that it's over... Perhaps he's unstable. You'll never know. You know what they did with Yuuko... There are only two things that bug me with Mizuki x Kuze. 1) Mizuki is still shallow to me. 2) A lot of repeating things in the dialogues. Both referring to episode 7 and 11. Nice to hear that Mizuki finished Yuuko's song... =)
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Dec 18, 2008 2:02 PM

Dec 2008
Did anyone notice in the opening today (not the first season opening that they played with the couples, the usual second season opening with Yuu, Yuuko, Mitsuki, Kuze, ect), the lyrics were changed?

It's originally
"I tried to hear what you say
so I pray but you're fading away
don't go and break my fragile heart
we won't fall apart
cause you're my only star"

In this EP it's
"No one can stand in your way
here I stay there'll be another day
won't cry and get rid of scars
always in my heart
gotta find a way to start"

I'm guessing this means that Yuuko really did die and that Kuze will (possibly) die as well. (Though Kuze might not die since his pulse came back at the end of the episode)

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who noticed this.
YuukiHimeDec 18, 2008 3:08 PM
you are my master.
Dec 18, 2008 2:36 PM

Jul 2008
YuukiHime said:
Did anyone notice in the opening today (not the first season opening that they played with the couples, the usual second season opening with Yuu, Yuuko, Mitsuki, Kuze, ect), the lyrics were changed?

It's originally
done wrong but when I found your heart
we won't fall apart

In this EP it's
always in my heart

I'm guessing this means that Yuuko really did die and that Kuze will (possibly) die as well. (Though Kuze might not die since his pulse came back at the end of the episode)

Actually it's not "done wrong but when I found your heart" but "don't go and break my fragile heart"

I noticied too but I don't think the lyric have anything to do anyway, Kuze pulse still has restarted at the last second of the ep...
Dec 18, 2008 3:12 PM

Dec 2008
maxime1007 said:
YuukiHime said:

It's originally
done wrong but when I found your heart
we won't fall apart

In this EP it's
always in my heart

Actually it's not "done wrong but when I found your heart" but "don't go and break my fragile heart"

I noticied too but I don't think the lyric have anything to do anyway, Kuze pulse still has restarted at the last second of the ep...

Sorry, the subs I watch have it different.
And yes, but it's still possible that he could die. (Most likely not, but it's still a possibility)

The next episode is definetely going to be a make or tragic break for the anime. It'll either be a turn in the happiness path and end very happy or more tragic and dramatic things will happen and the anime will end very very sad.
I've seen it with animes before.
Even though the first season ended really happy, this season could turn out to be one of the saddest animes ever.
you are my master.
Dec 18, 2008 3:20 PM

Jul 2008
I overall kinda liked this episode, but this somehow ruined the previous episode ..

I really didn't like how they moved to Kuze again after what happened the previous episode and just let us catch a glimpse of Yuuko once half way through the episode like that, and having Himura not even mention her once. They really should have done this better, because this just plain sucked.

Dec 18, 2008 7:25 PM

Jul 2008
Jeffusz said:
I overall kinda liked this episode, but this somehow ruined the previous episode ..

I really didn't like how they moved to Kuze again after what happened the previous episode and just let us catch a glimpse of Yuuko once half way through the episode like that, and having Himura not even mention her once. They really should have done this better, because this just plain sucked.

I won't spoil you but you will see they will go back into Yu & Yuuko's arc and explain why Yuuko is still there next episode. As well as the outcome of Kuze's operation :P.
Dec 18, 2008 8:08 PM
Oct 2007
Have faith in SHAFT. I don't think they'll let us down in the last episode. I'm expecting something dramatic, especially since this episode was so "subtle".

I like this episode though not for Kuze/Mizuki but for the overall summary of the 3 arcs in the previous season. It was very beautiful and touching to see how much Yuuko had helped/influenced all of them. And it completely wrapped up memories as well as connect it to melodies, which is just fantastic.
Dec 19, 2008 1:41 AM

Aug 2008
Annisa said:
Have faith in SHAFT. I don't think they'll let us down in the last episode. I'm expecting something dramatic, especially since this episode was so "subtle".

I like this episode though not for Kuze/Mizuki but for the overall summary of the 3 arcs in the previous season. It was very beautiful and touching to see how much Yuuko had helped/influenced all of them. And it completely wrapped up memories as well as connect it to melodies, which is just fantastic.

I agree, this episode was absolutely fantastic. The use of euphoric field brought back memories of the first season, and the endings were nicely done.
And I have absolute faith in Shaft, never have they failed me. :D
Jeffusz said:

That's just Shaft's way of doing stuffs, the rest of the stuffs about Yuuko would all be on the last episode, otherwise, there won't be anything left to show.
BranGor said:
Kuze-Mizuki relationship still seems really shallow to me.

First season was much better, imo.

How much deeper do you want it to be? Sure, the first season was good, but lets not say that it's better than season 2 until we finish everything.
zStorm_DukezDec 19, 2008 1:46 AM
Dec 19, 2008 1:11 PM
Oct 2008
The ending could go both ways, actually.

You could either interpret it as:

1) The pulse symbolized that Kuze is still alive.

Or

2) The pulse at the end of the episode symbolized Kuse's final heart beat, after hearing such a beautiful song that his love finally fully lyric'd for him.

If MAL would allow any ratings higher than 10, this would surely have at least 9 digits. >.>b
Dec 19, 2008 2:08 PM
Dec 2007
That was clearly too much, extremely expected, and the direction felt forced. They've gone crazy with the OP/ED too, although I'll admit the last song by Mizuki was really nicely directed. There were good ideas and interesting scenes though, but overall, they were drowned in this dissapointing episode. They tried to much, and as we say, "Leave well alone".

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 19, 2008 5:48 PM

Nov 2007
Overall good episode, but as much as I like Euphoric Field, it just came out of virtually nowhere and seemed out of place to me. Mizuki's version of A Moon Filled Sky was nice though, the montages gave it a final episode feel. Can't wait for episode 12, let's see how they wrap things up.
Dec 19, 2008 6:28 PM

Feb 2008
Good episode. I really enjoyed it even though I don't like the Kuze/Mizuki story so much.
The 2 Openings and 2 Endings were nice. They also made great use of german texts again.
Dec 19, 2008 10:58 PM

Sep 2008
After watching both the CaolGuys and Chihiro subs, I have one question - Did they air the episode with the English or Japanese version of Euphoric Field?

Other than that, I absolutely loved the episode and can't wait for the next one. I still disapprove of the Mizuki/Kuze relationship because of the age difference, but that's just me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2008 3:22 AM

Aug 2007
Damn i'm full of tears. Sad but great episode.

Also because of HawthorneKitty's(above post) signature, I gotten even more sad. 5 Centimeters Per Second was a very emotional anime and one of my faves.

Anyways I don't really like the kuze/miyuki relationship. But still it's good.

Dec 20, 2008 8:10 AM

Jun 2008
I loved this episode a lot <3

I like their relationship but it did seem like she fell in love with him way too quickly
Dec 20, 2008 10:57 AM

May 2008
I jut want the last episode for Yuuko to finally meet Yu
Dec 20, 2008 2:49 PM

Jun 2008
I got so many chills during this episode. The hairs on my arms would stand, it was all just too beautiful to describe. The insert of the old opening was great, as was the ending song. So sad, I teared up. I didn't really like the Kuze/Mizuki story to begin with, but this was wonderful. I can't wait to see how this ends! I'd like to find out what exactly happened to Yuuko, I miss her already.

YuukiHime, from the subs I watched, I too noticed the lyrics to the opening different. I noticed because I usually sing along, this time around, it obviously didn't match up? The song was clearly different I believe, 8D that melody in the end, again just beautiful. Downloading now. <3
Dec 21, 2008 12:28 AM

Jun 2008
Great episode. If you watch the episode till the end of the credit. You do see that Kuze does live since the machine started beeping again.

Last episode in a few days :D
I hope Yuuko and Himura gets to meet each other, or else I'll be really disappointed, since I love those two's story alot.
Dec 21, 2008 6:26 AM

Apr 2008
YuukiHime said:

It's originally
don't go and break my fragile heart
we won't fall apart

In this EP it's
always in my heart

Yeah, in the opening (and in the opening of the previous season, if I remember correctly) they used the second half of the song, I know well because I always listen the full version XD

Anyway the beginning of this episode it seemed too fast :/ Mizuki was too cheerful...
And the animation was strange O_o In some scenes Miyako was... fat O_o
But in the end is a good episode, like always. Can't wait for the next episode

Dec 21, 2008 11:38 AM

Apr 2007
too many songs D:

nice episode, nonetheless
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Dec 21, 2008 4:25 PM

Feb 2008
nihil said:
too many songs D:

the more songs the better. D:
Dec 21, 2008 6:10 PM

Jun 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
I still disapprove of the Mizuki/Kuze relationship because of the age difference, but that's just me.

I agree, that ruined this series for me. Everytime I was just about to accept them as a couple they would show her as a kid and Kuze looking almost exactly the same (ie. in staid of being an adult he was a high schooler where as in staid of her being a high schooler she was a 10 year old).

I could be wrong but it looks like Mizuki is planning to jump off the top of the school XD. She took off her ribbon and tied it to the key to Kuze's apartment and left a note. I'm guessing she thinks Kuze wont make it through the operation so she's gonna meet him on the other side (ie. Heaven). What a surprise it will be if Kuze survives and finds out she killed her self :/. It would be a bittersweet ending.
Dec 21, 2008 11:47 PM

Jan 2008
^Agree with you two.
From the beginning I didn't like the idea that those two were starting a relationship. Hell, their whole arc I had no interest in.
DeathfireD said:
I could be wrong but it looks like Mizuki is planning to jump off the top of the school XD. She took off her ribbon and tied it to the key to Kuze's apartment and left a note. I'm guessing she thinks Kuze wont make it through the operation so she's gonna meet him on the other side (ie. Heaven). What a surprise it will be if Kuze survives and finds out she killed her self :/. It would be a bittersweet ending.
You read my mind :D
Dec 22, 2008 1:44 AM

Sep 2007
*beep* *beep* *beep* ...*beep*....*beep*....*beeeeeeeeeeeep*

;_; ;_; ;_;

Dec 22, 2008 7:22 AM

Oct 2007
That has got to be one of the most powerful episodes I've ever seen :'3
Dec 23, 2008 3:54 PM

Jun 2008
Dun du dun dun, will he make the operation???
Jan 6, 2009 7:45 AM

Feb 2008
Nice but expectable for me. :P
Jan 7, 2009 11:59 PM

Aug 2007
Haha no wonder this season is called melodies. Wow man 2 OP's, 1 ED, and an insert song to boot which can be considered as another ED.

Anyway, lots of mixed feelings watching this episode. For one thing, I am still rather annoyed at the Yuuko fiasco of episode 10. Then they go ahead and explain her overall importance to the story after belittling her death scene like that. Nice addition of 'euphoric field' there btw, I love that tv edit version!

I don't get the big deal is with some of the people complaining about Kuze x Mizuki. The general perception of what is 'morally correct' changes from generation to generation. So the best way to explain this is that modern humanity has lost the concept of love itself. The general thing you are all forgetting is that the feelings are MUTUAL! This isn't some one-sided affair, both parties want to engage in some sort of meaningful relationship. I mean come on! "Adults" that are "in love" get married, get divorced, and the cycle goes on. Age does not equal maturity regardless of what society says.

Ah on to the last episode! I can't believe I've delayed it for so long...
Jan 30, 2009 4:26 PM
Nov 2008
This episode was pretty great!
The songs i found actually made it better too, and the last song made me so emotional :'(
i want kuze live!!!
Mar 14, 2009 8:03 PM

Aug 2008
The Euphoric Field insert was awesome!
The song at the end was nice too.
...I was thinking, how lucky that the key from Japan worked on the lock of the Australian school...
I really have liked it how they have handled everything till now.
10/10! xD
Mar 18, 2009 4:02 PM

Jan 2009
I liked the Euphoric Field return. The Kuze part with shattered masks was really artistic. Good episode.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
May 27, 2009 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
So in the end it was all about Yuuko.... :/
Well anyways, it's season 1's OP! God I missed that song... it's been constantly playing in my head since I started this series <3 the last part was sad... Mizuki's song almost brought me to tears :'(
removed-userMay 27, 2009 10:38 AM
Aug 3, 2009 7:37 PM

Jul 2009
Kuze/Mizuki....is brutally bad to watch.

Their love never seemed genuine to begin with, and this crap is starting to get on my nerves.

Not to mention Mizuki is fucking annoying.
Aug 14, 2009 11:54 PM

Jun 2009
Wow what a fantastic episode
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 12, 2009 5:33 PM

Jul 2009
WoW this series never seizes to amaze me
Oct 5, 2009 10:58 PM

Jun 2009
Awesome.
Jan 18, 2010 5:21 PM
Aug 2009
Jeffusz (57.8% Male) said:

Well there's still one more episode, so they're probably saving it for that one. And either way, what happened with Yuuko was all a flashback. The present won't change because something that already happened was revealed to the viewer.

Mar 17, 2010 7:19 PM

Aug 2009
If Kuze makes it and Yuuko comes back (I don't care how. Remember what was shown in the last few seconds of memories?) then this anime is a 11 for me.
SOMEHOW. PLEASE. LET IT BE.

Oh and good to hear some Euphoric field again.
Apr 23, 2010 5:03 PM

May 2008
song at the end was beautiful. next up, is yuuko really dead?
Jun 25, 2010 11:59 PM

Apr 2010
Liked this episode, but im still sulking about Yuuko's death. :'(
Aug 21, 2010 9:46 PM

Jul 2009
I won't believe they died, isn't ef an anime where no one should be left behind?

That pulse must mean Kuze went through, or else i'll feel very bad for Mizuki.
Oct 21, 2010 11:59 AM

Jun 2009
Very good episode ;.;

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Nov 10, 2008

191 by lucio54 »»
Dec 18, 2023 7:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aidouca - Dec 22, 2008

257 by SenpaiMY92 »»
Dec 10, 2023 7:20 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 8, 2008

196 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 2, 2008

84 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 24, 2008

89 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.