Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2013 4:09 PM

Nov 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Oh wow, this was such a great series.
The ending was kind of a cliff hanger.
Hiroshi finally understood how is dad and mom felt and, why he left because Hiroshi was doing the same thing
Apr 21, 2013 2:03 AM

Nov 2010
Good read but whats whit the ending was the friend a time traveler who help him out?
Nov 10, 2013 3:35 PM

Oct 2011
I love the manga and all but...

THAT FUCKING CLIFFHANGER
Feb 11, 2014 9:39 PM

Jul 2011
BlueKite said:
I love the manga and all but...

THAT FUCKING CLIFFHANGER

DAMN IT ALL. WHAT THE HELL.

IF ONLY NOT FOR THAT ENDING.

But now we know what happen to Daisuke!!

Really though, what an amazing manga. Makes me want to make put more effort in living my life to the fullest!!
MirorinFeb 11, 2014 9:43 PM
Apr 28, 2014 7:17 AM

Nov 2012
Really appreciate what you have.....
But Wha happened with tomoko
Dec 3, 2014 3:32 PM

Jun 2012
Arrggghhhh I wished it wouldve been more conclusive. It was a good read tho, I liked it a lot. My only other complaint is why did daisuke choose now to send a book? Why didnt he do that when the wrestler was stabbed? And what happened to Tomoko? They never made up?

I dont blame him for not stopping his father. Its selfish to not let others be selfish. If I was in his fathers position I dont know what I wouldve done, but I mightve chosen the same answer.
Dec 30, 2014 8:39 PM

Feb 2010
The ending is not a cliffhanger if you read in between the lines. I thought it was poignant.
Jan 12, 2015 12:44 AM

Apr 2011
Could you elaborate your thoughts?
Jan 17, 2015 12:41 PM

Oct 2013
I agree on @hellogoodbye's post, the ending is no cliffhanger. You can see, that there's no use to continue the story, since the message has been given. What would the next arc be? he problems with his youngest daughter? lol
i don't want to look like a douche. Sorry.
But the ending was so good, he time traveled and thanks to the package of Daisuke you know, that he really traveled mentally back to his 14yo self and wasn't just laying on a gravestone and just dreaming. With his visit to the past, things were running differently as he can remember, but with his actions he lead it to the same future he is now. I think, that he and Tomoko didn't made up, she listened to his advice and went to Tokyo, married a minister and is traveling overseas. The Ending was really good.

Mar 27, 2015 1:50 AM

Jan 2015
It was a great ending. And his friend's book in the end was a nice addition to the story. Even though he travelled back in time, he realized he couldn't change much from his life, since the main events would happen similarly. Overall, a good story with a good message.
Apr 2, 2015 9:14 AM

Aug 2013
Was Daisuke aware of the fact that his friend indeed had been a time traveler, I'm not sure of that, but it was nice of him to dedicate his novel to Hiroshi.

Mirorin said:
what an amazing manga. Makes me want to make put more effort in living my life to the fullest!!

Same here.
May 31, 2015 4:20 PM
May 2015
terrific manga, I was really moved :))))
Aug 8, 2015 4:13 AM

Jan 2009
Good story,
but IMO the author wasted too much time on Tomoko when at the end nothing became of the relationship. I get it that it was Hirsohi's way of running away from his own family by starting anew with another girl, but her character really was not as important as to have her take up so much time.

The one thing I missed is Hiroshi not being able to save his mother, simply by giving her peace, thus avoiding the heart attack.
Instead of Daisuke sending him a letter, that would have been an even better proof of Hiroshi doing actual time traveling.
Sep 6, 2015 1:29 AM

Apr 2014
Good manga. I think it had some slight flaws (e.g. the unnecessary romance sub-plot) but all in all it was an emotionally loaded manga that drew me in.
your waifu is shit
Sep 26, 2015 10:59 AM
Oct 2013
amazing manga,but can someone explain to me why did the father go?I didnt understand his reasons?
Jan 24, 2016 11:30 AM

Nov 2009
hellogoodbye said:
The ending is not a cliffhanger if you read in between the lines. I thought it was poignant.
Same thoughts. It was a very fitting ending to a heavy but short manga like this one.
8/10 or 9/10

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
May 26, 2016 10:47 AM

Jun 2014
This is probably one of the best short manga ever. Really beautiful story and I appreciated how much meaning it had behind it.

Truly, a classic.
:3
Jul 22, 2016 5:39 PM
Jun 2010
Really fantastic!

Plots with time travel tend to be daft and kill dramatic tension, but this was really neatly done. It wasn't really about changing the past. Rather, it's about seeing the past in a new light, and thus appreciating what you have here today, right now.

Just like how the boy could see and act better with the insight of a man, the man could realize things about his life due to the experience as a boy again. In this sense the story was even a bit poetic. Not to mention the whole theme of duty versus personal wishes, which was maturely handled.

I also appreciate how it was exactly as long as it needed to be, to make the reader care about the characters, explore its themes and wrap everything up neatly. "Missing" details at the end are entirely inconsequential to what the story is about, what it is trying to say.

What a find.
Mar 27, 2017 8:00 AM

Mar 2017
Wow. This manga was amazing. There were decent amounts of twists and all the characters were very realistic about their ideals, especially our MC. I think the time travel mechanism and Tomoko's present could have been explored to give a sense of completion but honestly the story was about delivering a message to its readers; which it delivered brilliantly. Beautiful story.

9/10
May 7, 2017 12:02 AM

Nov 2011
I would've liked one or two extra panels at the end where he sits back for a moment and chuckles. The ending felt a little abrupt, but the conclusion itself was fitting :)

I also like to think that his father visiting his mother's grave, and that Hiroshi was able to support his mother better (in the remaining time he had with her) the second time around.
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
May 26, 2017 10:15 AM

Jan 2014
Such a simple story with a very deep meaning. Too bad it’s kind of short for a story this good.
Jan 21, 2018 4:26 AM

Jul 2014
What an amazing read, really immersive and hits you deep. This was very impactful. I really did wish they explored as to how Hiroshi's friends were doing in the future and that we had gotten to see them. The ending is something like an icing on the cake and it might seem like they put that for a dramatic effect but I think it's fine. 10/10, I'll definitely check out more of the author's works.
Mar 9, 2018 11:41 AM

Jun 2015
I don't agree with his father's decision, but I don't think the manga tries to justify it either.

Hiroshi's conclusion is that he has to pay more attention to his own family, and get over the things that went wrong in the past. A really cathartic trip through time.
Mar 31, 2018 6:49 AM

Mar 2018
Well, these last few chapters were a blast. Emotional yet beautiful at the same time. The ending, wow. What a gem of a manga this was.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Mar 31, 2018 7:37 PM

Mar 2018
Such a shame it ended so shortly. I loved every moment through this Manga, a melancholic read and it executed a perfect message to the readers. Hiroshi was able to reflect back through his memories, that the future would still be the same, but to take a life lesson from it. *thumbs up*

Autumn is a second spring, when every leaf is a flower...............................................................................................秋風が立つ
Apr 19, 2018 11:34 PM
Oct 2014
It was simply an amazing manga! He had the change to go back to time and discover the reason of the leaving father. Also trying to stop him from leaving but failed. And also how he saw his father in his old age. At the end Hiroshi learned that whatever happened in the past, you should live with it and continue with your own life and family. He surely will never leave his wife and children and will live a beautiful life with his family until death and hiroshi will never make a mistake his father did to his mother and the rest! 10/10
Aug 21, 2018 7:49 AM

Jul 2015
The ending could have been better, but overall it was a good experience.

Btw, shouldn't this be tagged as a school manga as well?
Sep 3, 2018 10:00 AM

Dec 2014
Great series, very poignant but at the same time it has a well written message. The ending panel made me smile.

8/10
Sep 27, 2018 5:21 AM

Apr 2018
We are free to decide our path
Often we are stuck in our lives and just follow the flow as the time passes
But in the end, the decision is in our own hand
to accept the current state we are in and cherish the people around us or to start a new life that we usually wished to live to
A really good manga
Feb 25, 2019 12:23 AM
Jul 2018
And so the second manga I've read has concluded.

So I recognize its flaws. The Tomoko relationship went nowhere, some of the side characters were useless, and it would have been much more fleshed out if the mangaka chose to alternate between 1963 and the 1988 in order to explore characters from both times.

However, I greatly enjoyed the character interactions and the various twists and turns along the way. The whole thing went about smoothly and it never felt like it dragged.

7/10 maybe 8/10 if I sleep on it. Nah I'll give it a 8, the message takes precedence here.
removed-userFeb 25, 2019 12:31 AM
Sep 1, 2019 6:53 PM

Jun 2016
In the end, you can't change your past whatever you do, so no point thinking about it.
Mar 14, 2020 11:33 PM

Aug 2013
I guess I don't get Taniguchi and the rave reviews he receives everywhere. He's fine and all, but that's it — he's the very definition of average. Most times I'll finish a comic of his thinking either "that could've been better" or "I've seen that done before in a better way". Haruka na Machi e is the latter. It does end in a interesting way, if not for the uncomfortably apologetic vibe for the father, but for the most part this was a very plain story that didn't really do anything with its concepts and ideas.
Jan 1, 2021 9:55 AM
Aug 2018
one word for jiro taniguchi..
'LEGEND'
bakayarou konoyarou
Mar 17, 2021 11:46 AM

Jun 2016
God, I loved this one so much. This is just the kind of manga that leaves you with a sense of completion, joy and new-found wishes to live your life to its fullest, what a great story.

The actions every character takes are reasonable and logical, that's what I liked about it the most. Like when the protagonist shouted at his sister because he was holding the pain and anguish of his father leaving, such a great scene.

And my God, the scene where the father leaves is heartbreaking. I've never seen such a scene at any other piece of work. It's so unexpected, but yet unnstoppable. So good.

Loved this thing to my core.
Mar 22, 2021 7:17 PM
Nov 2019
Most beautiful manga of all time
May 6, 2021 12:50 AM
May 2016
good story ends.

but whyyyyuy the cliffhanger :_l
May 13, 2021 6:48 AM

Nov 2013
So what was the point of this story?

MC returns to his timeline and things are pretty much the same.
The book in the end is the proof that the whole story was real and MC wasn't just dreaming; so what?
It can be said that Tomoko (MC's gf - now ex.gf) likely became a wife of a diplomat or whatever thanks to MC teaching her. In other words he influenced the past, but MC didn't know he did that until now. So all the romance plot involving her amounts to nothing. He basically helped her in English, that's all to it.
It was underwhelming to see how time-travel was treated so lightly. Butterfly effect again? There should've been more changes, considering how past MC was better in school. Are you telling me his mom also still died young, despite being less anxious knowing the husband's fate?
And speaking of husband. He seemed to be living a boring life of a salaryman. What a shitty choice. Does he regret? Maybe, why should anyone care!
And, MC didn't save his friend from dying in a motorcycle accident too? And Daisuke never approached MC about Yakuza-stabbing? Because apparently this was the moment he truly believed that MC was indeed time-travelling.

At the end of the day, MC kind-of realized he shouldn't be a pos like his father who abandoned his family, but was the whole time-travel crap intended for this revelation? Disappointed.
Oct 26, 2022 9:19 AM

May 2021
Very decent manga, definitely is better than all of Asano works, mental struggles are represented in a more realistic way here than in Asano ridiculous manga ways, it's sad that pseudointellectuals just are so blindly following any work of the latter. Anyways, the manga had some flaws, the motives of the father arent reasonable, one of the main messages was that some thing in life are unchangeable because people beliefs will guide them to the same point, that true to be told can questionable to say the least, if he really wanted he could saved the guy who died in the accident or stop his father, he just choose not to but ok, I guess the manga decides to go that way, overall it was a good representation of the topics treated, not perfect but far above the average, it's a tragedy that people ignore this while going into reading other obnoxious melodramatic mangas, 7.4/10.
Jan 22, 2023 11:38 PM
May 2017
I enjoyed this manga for what it was, but I get the feeling it was slightly rushed. To me it seemed that messing with the past would have more implications with the future. But maybe the point of him going back wasn't so that he could change the past, but to appreciate his present? Idk I just thought with his improved grades, sports, relationships, that this would change a lot. But I guess the normal 14 year old Hiroshi returned and fumbled his improvements haha. Also it seemed like his family didn't appreciate him the way they were talking about him. But when he returned to the present everything seemed good. I think this would have done better with an extra chapter or two to wrap things up better. Cuz to end the manga off with Daisuke was kinda random haha

But when it's all said and done, I'm really glad I read this manga. Personally I'd rate this 8.5/10 but I rounded it up to 9 on MAL

More topics from this board

Poll: » Harukana Machi-E Chapter 5 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Dec 17, 2013

3 by MrFanatic »»
Mar 11, 2023 8:11 PM

Poll: » Harukana Machi-E Chapter 15 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Dec 18, 2013

6 by Quanda1eDing1e »»
Jan 23, 2023 12:09 AM

Poll: » Harukana Machi-E Chapter 14 Discussion

2 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
May 13, 2021 5:56 AM

Poll: » Harukana Machi-E Chapter 11 Discussion

2 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
May 13, 2021 5:22 AM

Poll: » Harukana Machi-E Chapter 8 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Dec 17, 2013

5 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
May 13, 2021 4:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.