Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 29, 2013 6:16 PM

Jun 2012
that was stupid

4/10
Apr 29, 2013 7:07 PM

Sep 2011
so 5 years later she still has no friends?

or what.

May 2, 2013 11:14 PM

Jan 2012
This is really so cute and calm, not the part where she got bullied, but mostly the part when she did all those things for him and later it payed off. She's a very strong girl! If i was in her position i wouldn't even last 2 more days in that hell hole! But anyways, bullying can't be helped, these are children after all, they still don't have sense of common whether whats wrong or right, they do as they please to be funny to others and themselves.

Loved this one-shot, hope we'll learn more about their future relationship later on.
May 11, 2013 8:58 PM

Apr 2010
it was so nice to have a manga convey important life lessons until most of the other manga that only teach perverted stuff
"Do not consider yourself deprived because your dreams were not fulfilled; the truly deprived have never dreams."
-Marie von Ebner
May 12, 2013 10:26 AM
Feb 2012
Ishida got what he deserved. The class itself may have been a bunch of spineless cowards but Ishida was still the one bullying her the most. Him experiencing the same treatment is, to put it bluntly, karma, bitch. The ending lacked something but it ended on a positive note and that's something I appreciate after nearly 50 pages of humanity showing its ugliest side.
One could argue that they're kids and kids are cruel yadda yadda but they're teenagers and capable of understanding what they're doing. Realizing that there was not a single person willing to stand up for Nishimiya disgusts me.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 16, 2013 12:27 AM
Jul 2018

Heck. It is not easy to forgive, especially if that person hurt you pretty bad. But I guess the author what she tries to convey to us that we must forgive Ishida just like Nishimiya forgiving him. Nishimiya did understand him, because she was being bullied too, by him. And hey, 1.7 million yen? That's a whole lot of money! I have a classmate before, and he was a deaf. He was really bullied, but he tries to be friendly with us.
May 16, 2013 2:10 PM

Sep 2011
Such a nice little one-shot (the "nice" part sounds weird but you know what I mean).
So many feelings and emotions in just 62 pages ;_;
I just wanna give poor, kind and cute Shouko a big hug ;_;

Luckily I've never met bullying of this size in my elementary and high school, but I know how hard it can be for the bullied.
Unfortunately even if Shouya got what he deserved, I still can't fully forgive him. But I respect that he went out of his way to learn sign language and try to make up with poor Shouko (in a pretty heart-warming way). His development was nice to see.
I'm sad the other students and the teacher (especially him, as he was probably the biggest evil here) didn't really get punished. Though that's pretty much how life goes, so it was realistic in that sense.
I'm also sad that it looks like Shouya didn't fully understand what was the real problem here (not just a lack of communication).
A bit more ending would have been better, like what happened with them later.

I'm giving it an 8/10. If they are really going to serialize it, then I hope it won't be about bullying anymore (yeah I know it was the main theme) and just about following their (especially Shouko's) life.
May 27, 2013 1:28 PM

Apr 2012
I can understand the kids bullying and all, but the teacher... really? I seriously hate him the most.

Awesome one shot, apparently it's getting a sequel or something? Will read for sure.
May 30, 2013 4:55 PM

Jul 2010
I can understand the kids bullying and all, but the teacher... really? I seriously hate him the most.

Awesome one shot, apparently it's getting a sequel or something? Will read for sure.
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=564005&show=40#14V2Jc7w6TKIZ26L.99

1. I agree. It's sadder to say that people like him really do exist in real life.

2. It's supposed to get a full on series soon. When it'll be released, I don't know, but I sure would love to read it as well.
Jun 2, 2013 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
9/10 I cried.
Jun 3, 2013 8:05 PM
Feb 2011
5layer said:
Unrealistic. Nobody would send a deaf girl to a normal school like that. There's no way she can properly learn there.

That aside, this was pretty interesting to read.
This. Nonetheless, I liked the boy's character development. Really hoping to see this as an OVA.
Jun 4, 2013 10:51 AM

Oct 2010
I was taught from a young age not to mock disabled people. Are kids in Japan really this fucked in the head? It's made worse by the fact they use the main bully as a scapegoat, they should've at least took the blame too. That class rep was the worst, playing the victim like that. I would've back-handed her, little bitch.

I liked how the main bully learnt sign language so that he could communicate with her, nice development there, thought that doesn't excuse him from taking all of her hearing aides.

8/10.
Jun 8, 2013 11:53 PM

Dec 2011
The execution... was poor. In the end I only felt disgusted. I have to agree with OP here. I understand the message the mangaka was trying to make and I appreciate the attempt, but unfortunately, it wasn't as developed as it could and should have been.

hellogoodbye said:
Post-Josh said:
I don't know the author's thought process either, but I think it's an assumption to say that she expects the reader to forgive Shouya.

I say this because the story is one about bullying, yet it ends on such a lighthearted note. Depending on how the reader identifies with Shouya, the conclusion can be either heartwarming (as it should) or outright disgusting.

I'm convinced that Shouya's speech is an oversight on the author's part. It doesn't match his actions nor fit with the lesson of self realization the story tries to push.

^THIS. The topic of the manga itself is strong, something that people should be more aware of. Bullying is ALWAYS wrong, whatever the situation, yet the end seems to show it as victim-blaming. “Back then, if we could have heard each other’s voices, everything would have been so much better.” Seriously, wtf? There is no WE. It was blatantly one-sided, and he CONSCIOUSLY knew what he was doing. His apology didn’t sound apologetic to me at all and seemed to only justify his actions, actions which he didn’t even own up to. The end was just a sour taste in my mouth, and I’m not fond of the author trying to force the “forgiveness is key” down my throat. I understand the time restrictions and whatnot for being a oneshot, but seriously. This… was bad. Pretty bad. For such a touchy subject it just did not meet up to its standards. If it had been a little more serious, maybe a little more realistic, the manga could have left a bigger impression and been close to perfect. Sadly it wasn’t.

tldr; terrible attempt was terrible.
Jun 9, 2013 1:09 AM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Wow Japanese kids are seriously evil and this not the first manga/anime that showed how evil they are I hope that's not a reality.

Bro. Why do you think asian kids are in so many horror films?
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 10, 2013 9:41 AM

Aug 2012
Mike_the_Great said:

I was thinking about this too, the teacher(s) are the most unsympathetic characters in this story.

edit: (because I feel like elaborating): I've seen the conversation going on about how horrible it is that MC didn't actually said "I'm sorry". Would these words change anything? The girl in question is portrayed as a saint, to her it would not mean anything, because it never crossed her mind that he owed her an apology.

The fact that instead of saying "I'm sorry" the bully went out of his way and learn the sign language, speak volumes about the extend of wanting to redeem himself. His actions had more value than an "I'm sorry". For one it showed that saying "I'm sorry" wouldn't cut it even to MC, never mind that the girl never expected an apology in the first place.

Sometimes we say "I'm sorry" because it gives us a peace of mind. Even when we say "I'm sorry" and mean it, partially it has a soothing effect on us, especially in Western culture. Japan has a completely different understanding of things like "transgressions" and "redemption". It's a very important cultural difference which sometimes we, the western audience, forget about.

figuetteJun 26, 2013 3:27 PM
Jun 19, 2013 4:40 PM
Oct 2010
poor girl. damn kids can be ruthless.

that little chode got what was coming to him too. dumb faggot.

least she made it 5 years afterwards. could barely stomach the first half with her being treated to shittily
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jun 20, 2013 5:14 PM

Jul 2009
tsudecimo said:
Wow Japanese kids are seriously evil and this not the first manga/anime that showed how evil they are I hope that's not a reality.
9/10
Any news whether this will be a serialized manga in the future ?

I get that you're saying 'Japanese kids' because this discussion is about a manga, but realistically speaking there are really awful bullies everywhere. See also, all the kids who've killed themselves because of how badly they've been bullied, the kids who have been outright murdered by their bullies, all the people who have to see a therapist because of experiences in school, etc.

Anyway, I'm another person who found the boy partially blaming the girl kinda ruined what was otherwise a really nice oneshot for me.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Jun 29, 2013 10:09 PM

Feb 2013
i couldn't care less about that guy
Jun 30, 2013 2:16 PM

Apr 2009
Slitherer said:
5layer said:
Unrealistic. Nobody would send a deaf girl to a normal school like that. There's no way she can properly learn there.

This. Nonetheless, I liked the boy's character development. Really hoping to see this as an OVA.

There are such things as deaf people being sent to 'normal' school, especially if the 'normal' school has a hard of hearing/deaf section... I'm talking as someone who's taken an ASL class and thus had more than a taste of Deaf culture.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jul 7, 2013 5:56 PM
Oct 2012
As disappointing as it is to know her explanation for it, It's still amazing.
Aug 20, 2013 6:32 AM

Oct 2009
Kl one shot, but I wouldn't of forgave him, I would of got revenge.
Oct 9, 2013 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
This manga is too good
Nov 21, 2013 1:59 AM

Jun 2011
DoomCraft said:

I'm not sure how any of that is supposed to convey the idea it's not the bully's fault that the victim's hurt.

It's faint, but it's there. The school never punish the other students, granted they didn't know anything, or maybe was trying to feign ignorance, and the teacher, wow best elementary school teacher ever. /sarcasm

Firechick12012 said:
Yay! An actual manga about a deaf person and bullying! I'm glad it's getting a serialization soon, because more manga like this need to be made!

However, while I do understand this is a oneshot, there are quite a few things about it that bothered me:

1. The teacher. At first he clearly didn't like Shouko. At one point he even thinks to himself "Why do I have to deal with this baggage?" but then he suddenly changes heart in a very abrupt and unrealistic way, immediately calling out Ishida on his cruelty (which I still thought was awesome). Maybe this'll be explored more in the serialization.
2. How in all of merciful heavens can anyone completely interpret someone's alternative way of communicating as a form of cowardice?! Communicating in a different way is NOT cowardice! I understand Ishida's just a kid and just hates a deaf girl for taking up the school's attention, which was NEVER her intention in the first place (is it ever any disabled person's intention at all to be the center of the school's attention? No, it isn't), but what angers me about his fight with Shouko is that not only does he call her a coward for communicating with writing instead of her voice (the only way for deaf people to speak, as far as I know, was if they were never born deaf but lost their hearing and got a cochlear implant, if that one episode of Cold Case is to be believed), but he kept accusing her of "playing up how weak she is" and "pretending to be nice." Is he accusing her of faking her disability in order to receive sympathy, or does he believe she's acting arrogant because of the fact that he's been getting picked on instead of her now that the bullies are targeting him, a normal kid without any physical or mental problems whatsoever, instead of her, a deaf girl who he feels deserves it more than he does simply because she's "a freak"? That is just downright wrong! This is what gets me angry in not just this manga, but in media in general. What is it with characters jumping to wild conclusions about the smallest things and blowing them up to ridiculous extremes?
3. I wish those classmates got their comeuppance too. They should be punished for picking on Shouko too.

But those are the only things that bothered me about this oneshot. Maybe they'll be fixed in the serialization. But nonetheless, this manga is great, and there needs to be more stories like this, as I hear Japan doesn't handle disabilities, both physical and mental, very well, if what I'm reading is to be believed.

Lol you didn't understand the story at all, but yeah, someone cleared it up for you.

reira93 said:
i didnt like it at all. i mean ive read other mangas about bullying too but this was the most unrealistic one.

Yeah it's pretty unrealistic, trying to claim that it's realistic is pushing it. I mean, the whole class of children is bullying one little girl? Lol I don't mean to say that everyone has to have a saint-heart, but even I am not the nicest guy in the world, I wouldn't bully or gang up on the girl, even if I do not help her..

As a kid, of course they wouldn't know the consequences of bullying, but they should know that the bullying act itself is bad. As pure as I was when I was a kid, I know that bullying is bad, even though I don't know in what way it is bad.

RazielZero said:

Unfortunately even if Shouya got what he deserved, I still can't fully forgive him. But I respect that he went out of his way to learn sign language and try to make up with poor Shouko (in a pretty heart-warming way). His development was nice to see.

+1

5layer said:

Agree, lmao that's what bugging me too when I noticed that she wouldn't be able to hear the teacher's lectures. Poor plot device.

wingling said:
The execution... was poor. In the end I only felt disgusted. I have to agree with OP here. I understand the message the mangaka was trying to make and I appreciate the attempt, but unfortunately, it wasn't as developed as it could and should have been.

hellogoodbye said:
Post-Josh said:
I don't know the author's thought process either, but I think it's an assumption to say that she expects the reader to forgive Shouya.

I say this because the story is one about bullying, yet it ends on such a lighthearted note. Depending on how the reader identifies with Shouya, the conclusion can be either heartwarming (as it should) or outright disgusting.

I'm convinced that Shouya's speech is an oversight on the author's part. It doesn't match his actions nor fit with the lesson of self realization the story tries to push.

^THIS. The topic of the manga itself is strong, something that people should be more aware of. Bullying is ALWAYS wrong, whatever the situation, yet the end seems to show it as victim-blaming. “Back then, if we could have heard each other’s voices, everything would have been so much better.” Seriously, wtf? There is no WE. It was blatantly one-sided, and he CONSCIOUSLY knew what he was doing. His apology didn’t sound apologetic to me at all and seemed to only justify his actions, actions which he didn’t even own up to. The end was just a sour taste in my mouth, and I’m not fond of the author trying to force the “forgiveness is key” down my throat. I understand the time restrictions and whatnot for being a oneshot, but seriously. This… was bad. Pretty bad. For such a touchy subject it just did not meet up to its standards. If it had been a little more serious, maybe a little more realistic, the manga could have left a bigger impression and been close to perfect. Sadly it wasn’t.

tldr; terrible attempt was terrible.

Make sense.

I was annoyed for the majority of the chapter. Still it gave me some feels.

figuette said:
Mike_the_Great said:

I was thinking about this too, the teacher(s) are the most unsympathetic characters in this story.

edit: (because I feel like elaborating): I've seen the conversation going on about how horrible it is that MC didn't actually said "I'm sorry". Would these words change anything? The girl in question is portrayed as a saint, to her it would not mean anything, because it never crossed her mind that he owed her an apology.

The fact that instead of saying "I'm sorry" the bully went out of his way and learn the sign language, speak volumes about the extend of wanting to redeem himself. His actions had more value than an "I'm sorry". For one it showed that saying "I'm sorry" wouldn't cut it even to MC, never mind that the girl never expected an apology in the first place.

Sometimes we say "I'm sorry" because it gives us a peace of mind. Even when we say "I'm sorry" and mean it, partially it has a soothing effect on us, especially in Western culture. Japan has a completely different understanding of things like "transgressions" and "redemption". It's a very important cultural difference which sometimes we, the western audience, forget about.

I think no matter which culture you're learning, parents do teach their kids to apologize when they did something wrong, don't they? Even if the girl isn't expecting an apologize, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it.

As an example, a man raped a woman out of spit because of his lust-of-the-moment, but he regretted the act, couldn't undo what's done, but does that mean that he doesn't need to apologize? Even if the woman clearly does not want to meet or hear his voice again. I still think that apologize is necessary, otherwise, why do we need the term "I am sorry"?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 11, 2013 6:40 AM
Jun 2013
Can anyone recommend me any manga like this? I really love it.
Dec 25, 2013 4:11 PM

Dec 2007
MisaTange said:
Slitherer said:
5layer said:

There are such things as deaf people being sent to 'normal' school, especially if the 'normal' school has a hard of hearing/deaf section... I'm talking as someone who's taken an ASL class and thus had more than a taste of Deaf culture.

Yeah. My mother is a teacher and she had a student who has %90 blind :/ It happens.
Mar 16, 2014 9:57 AM

Aug 2009
Oh my god it was so hard to read this..

it was so painful to read halfway through //wattery eyes T ~ T

BUT YAY! happy ending ; w ;
May 10, 2014 2:15 AM

May 2010
Wow are her parents rich? 1.7 million yen??? Also, why are they suddenly in love years later...? They should hate each other.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 5, 2014 4:47 PM

Jul 2012
brb crying near the end

8/10

i'm totally gonna read the series this summer

Confucius said:
Wow are her parents rich? 1.7 million yen???

thats 17k in usd. it's not that much for a sickly person
Jul 16, 2014 3:03 AM

Oct 2012
Awwwww... I'm not crying
Am I not human??
But it's definitely heartwarming & sweet

Continue to the serialization manga!!
"Signature removed"
Aug 20, 2014 11:39 PM
Aug 2011
that was bad but the girl is adorable
Sep 10, 2014 12:54 AM

Oct 2013
Ray_Light said:
Awwwww... I'm not crying
Am I not human??

Same here. I didn't cry, though I did tear up a bit at the end. That was so sad.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 16, 2014 6:11 PM

Jul 2012
I really like this! I'm a sucker for stories that brings out the readers' emotions :3
I kinda wished I didn't read until the timeskip though. Oh well, onto the serialization!
Nov 9, 2014 6:03 PM

Nov 2012
Those kids were inhuman heartless assholes,even that one teacher too.

She just wanted to be accepted & makes friends yet they pushed her away because she's deaf.

Main bully used as the scapegoat & bullied afterwards.Nishimiya cleaning his desk despite the fact that he use to bull her himself ;____;

Timeskip to when they reunion,Ishida's changed.

"You and me can we be friends?" Had a feeling that what she was saying back then.

Great one shot,manage to convey so much and be so good in comparison to a majority of the manga I've read so far 9/10.Now to read the serialized manga.
Feb 14, 2015 3:03 AM

May 2014
Damn. This was so heartbreaking O_Q I don't know if I'll be able to read the manga after this one shot >~<

Zadion said:
Ray_Light said:
Awwwww... I'm not crying
Am I not human??

Same here. I didn't cry, though I did tear up a bit at the end. That was so sad.

I wasn't crying either. But I was still very frustrated and angry of how Nishimiya was treated.
Feb 15, 2015 2:53 PM

Jun 2014
It was a great read, it was like watching the Amanda Todd video all over again, with more of a resolve.

Mar 1, 2015 2:08 PM

Dec 2008
I love how he matured in the end. Hated him when he was in elementary. I think I'll actually read the full manga now. One shot had feels.
Jun 13, 2015 12:17 PM

Nov 2014
Good oneshot, gope I will find some time for series.

Jul 25, 2015 7:18 AM

Nov 2013
that was bad but readable.. still not sure to pick up manga series since anime was getting soon though.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 14, 2016 7:44 PM

Feb 2008
5layer said:

There's nothing unrealistic about that. It's not like she was both blind and deaf. Inclusion is a thing you know, parents can decide whether their children will go to special schools or regular schools.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 31, 2016 10:06 PM

Feb 2013
if thr one-shot is this good I wonder how good the whole thing is. Definitely gonna read the whole thing now.
Mar 30, 2016 1:42 PM

Jul 2012
Hooked after the first five pages. Looking forward to reading the whole thing.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
May 25, 2016 2:52 AM

Jan 2015
Damn....that shitty good for nothin' class of douchebags!!!! Seriously...wtf is wrong with them??? Bully a girl who's deaf??? How can that happen??? I can agree this was pretty realistical from MC's point of view....but, damn...fuck them....kill everyone who was bullying her!!! Atleast MC changed after 5 years....seriously...i can't believe that this made me angry over one-shot ....wow just WOW.....need to read an alternative version of this!!!!
Aug 6, 2016 6:34 AM

Jan 2016
Those little fuckers are fuckin annoying
Nov 20, 2016 5:08 AM
Nov 2016
Where DO I can watch this F*cking anime.. I really want this
Nov 30, 2016 10:39 PM

Sep 2015
soo... after all she did for him she still pisses him off.. kay.
Apr 23, 2017 5:02 PM
Apr 2017
I just read the first chapter, it made me really sad. Tbh i basically hated it. It made me really angry that even the teachers didn't help her, very emotional. 😭
Apr 28, 2017 2:09 PM

Dec 2014
felt really bad for the girl... hopefully the movie will be subbed until I finish up this manga
Jun 9, 2017 2:58 PM

Nov 2016
I really Liked This OneShot.

Almost 1/3 of the Movie is based on where the oneshot gets and I Cant compare it to the longer manga that came out after it because I Havent Read it but I Think its the same. It gests sadder than some longer manga out there.

Really Reccomended.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2020 8:15 AM
May 2020
I read the manga but wanted to check out the one-shot too. It was really good, I enjoyed it, one of the better one shots I've read.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Need help a really noob manga reader here

Ahao - Jan 25, 2015

6 by Ahao »»
Jan 26, 2015 11:05 AM

» Koe no Katachi ep1 coming next week

VioLink - Aug 1, 2013

5 by Valencia »»
Aug 16, 2013 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.