Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 4, 2013 6:42 AM

Feb 2012
A first overview of your list tells me your taste seems fine. Some minor hick-ups. I dunno how GC is better than Bebop but I haven't finished the latter myself yet, so I wont rant. Over all decent taste, I guess. Could lower School Days to a 2 though.

Anyway.... regarding dropped / on-hold shows.

I'd recommend Casshern Sins, Bakemonogatari and Last Exile from your on-hold list.
Oh fuck you dropped Aria...what the...?! Just watch the best SoL franchise! Pick it up!
Same goes for Nana...great music, cool characters, good development and nothing over dramatised but quite the realistic drama with realistic problems.
So Ra No Wo To once you love SoL after Aria.
Steins;Gate...yea the start seems strange. All worth it in the end.

Aside from all those I can only recommend Hunter x Hunter 2011 if you want an airing shounen.
May 4, 2013 6:53 AM

Jan 2013
HxH old anime is better imo, HxH 2011 will be longer but the plot is the same so anyone can watch one then the other
May 4, 2013 8:57 AM

Jul 2012
Hmm, any opinions on my ratings or taste? Also is there anything you'd consider a ''must-watch'' on my ptw list?
May 4, 2013 9:40 AM

Sep 2011
Dreamsmatic said:
Hmm, any opinions on my ratings or taste? Also is there anything you'd consider a ''must-watch'' on my ptw list?
Baccano, Bebop,Tokyo Godfathers and Usagi Drop.
There were a few others which I have heard great things about, but I haven't seen them myself, so I can't comment on them.
May 4, 2013 10:40 AM

Aug 2009
Everything on Haakon has already said, plus Ima, Soko ni Boku (Now and Then, Here and There) and Samurai Champloo. I can't comment on Nodame Cantabile and Juuni Kouki but heard only good things about them.
May 4, 2013 10:47 AM

Dec 2012
shiranui51 said:
HxH old anime is better imo,

How ?
May 4, 2013 11:18 AM

Apr 2012
Would anyone have the pleasure of judging my tastes? I would love to hear your opinions.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
May 4, 2013 11:44 AM

Nov 2011
sushi55 said:
Would anyone have the pleasure of judging my tastes? I would love to hear your opinions.

Honestly, I can't stop laughing at you saying Air is an overrated Key anime, but then you say Clannad is the greatest romance of all time. Your 6 on Oban also makes me sad but isn't surprising.

Overall you have pretty typical tastes, which is fine if that's just what you like.
May 4, 2013 12:19 PM

Sep 2012
sushi55 said:

I would question rating Toradora!, Durarara!!, SnK, and Geass R2 over LotGH, but other than that your list looks good.

I'm starting to feel awkward judging people when I've never been judged, so would anyone mind evaluating my taste?
May 4, 2013 12:34 PM

Nov 2012
sushi55 said:

You have a Naruto avatar and a Code Geass signature and ask for being judged. Is this masochism?

Popka said:

I'm starting to feel awkward judging people when I've never been judged, so would anyone mind evaluating my taste?

Looks great to me. I especially like seeing FLCL in your favourites
Only thing I'd consider to highly rated would be Nichijbros
May 4, 2013 12:46 PM

Feb 2008
@moichispa
You should probably check out some older shows, seeing that Utena is the oldest show on your list. As for other suggestions, based on your on-hold and PTW lists, I recommend:

Casshern Sins, Boogiepop Phantom, Now and Then, Here and There, Tweeny Witches, Aria, Simoun, Steins;Gate for "surefire" shows, and if you're willing to take the gamble, Bakemonogatari (it's one of my personal favourites, but from an objective perspective it's more of a guilty pleasure show), Shigofumi and Taishou Baseball Girls.

@Dreamsmatic
Nothing stands out too much on your list except that high score for Hitman Reborn I guess, as for stuff on your PTW that you should check out I suggest:

Baccano, Beck, Boogiepop Phantom, Darker than Black, Genshiken, Gunslinger Girl (only the first season however), Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place, Katanagatari, Paranoia Agent, Nodame Cantabile, Now and then, Here and There, RahXephon, Tokyo Godfathers (and other Kon's movies if you haven't seen them), Towards the Terra, Stellvia in Space, Samurai Champloo, Book of Friends seqeuel(s), and if you're willing to take the gamble, Shigofumi, Only Yesterday, Rumbling Hearts, Kokoro Connect, Kids on the Slope.

@sushi55
You seem to be oriented towards action and shounen as a demographics for the most part, though Haruhi and Penguindrum on top of your ratings suggest otherwise, other than that, same as moichispa, I suggest you check out some older shows from the 80's or even the late 70's if you have no problem with older artstyle in general.

May 4, 2013 1:30 PM

Sep 2012
Zerkalo said:

Popka said:

Looks great to me. I especially like seeing FLCL in your favourites
Only thing I'd consider to highly rated would be Nichijbros

I wasn't sure how to rate Nichibros, because I couldn't tell what I thought was so great about it, I only knew it was the funniest anime I'd ever seen. It wasn't the most clever or the most vulgar or anything, but it made me laugh the hardest. Of course, I still have Detroit Metal City on my PTW, so that distinction might not last from what I've heard about DMC.
May 4, 2013 1:42 PM

Oct 2012
Never did have a proper assessment, so have at it. Be sure to look at my tags for any red flags I'm sure you all will spot.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 4, 2013 1:46 PM

Feb 2008
@Popka
Overall great taste, but I'm curious, why such a high rating for Digimon Tamers? Don't get this the wrong way, but the first two seasons of Digimon are usually considered as the best of the franchise, so I'm interested in hearing a different opinion. Didn't you find the concept of Digimon fusing with humans to be a bit creepy?

May 4, 2013 2:01 PM

Jun 2011
corwin_r said:
@Popka
Overall great taste, but I'm curious, why such a high rating for Digimon Tamers? Don't get this the wrong way, but the first two seasons of Digimon are usually considered as the best of the franchise, so I'm interested in hearing a different opinion. Didn't you find the concept of Digimon fusing with humans to be a bit creepy?

Season 2 of Digimon wasn't nearly as good as 1 and 3. It was full of plot holes and character that just trailed off in quality.
And creepyness was sort of a big part of Tamers. It abandoned a lot of its Fantasy roots from the first season and went straight Sci-Fi. It was keeping up with its fans as they grew, matured, and wanted something more.
May 4, 2013 2:40 PM

Sep 2012
corwin_r said:
@Popka

Haha, I guess it could be seen as a little creepy. Although it reminded me more of mecha, at least in MegaGargomon's case.

Spoiler tags, because I could go on all day about it.
May 4, 2013 2:54 PM

Jun 2011
Popka said:
Tamers can be DARK. There is some very creepy imagery later on in the series

What, you mean like this?
I thought stuff like that was perfectly normal for a kid's show...
May 4, 2013 2:59 PM

Sep 2012
It is, for the guy who made Serial Experiments Lain.

PopkaMay 6, 2013 11:07 PM
May 4, 2013 3:19 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:
sushi55 said:

Honestly, I can't stop laughing at you saying Air is an overrated Key anime, but then you say Clannad is the greatest romance of all time. Your 6 on Oban also makes me sad but isn't surprising.

Overall you have pretty typical tastes, which is fine if that's just what you like.

Thank you very much for your respectful opinions. Curiosity though,what do you not like about Clannad's romance aspects? Just curious about that as well as your signature.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
May 4, 2013 3:22 PM

Feb 2008
@Popka
I agree about the part of character portrayal and development, Tamers definitely had more room for that, considering there are three main characters for the most part instead of a whole squad of them, and trying to flesh out, even a little, such a cast, takes a lot of time which could be used in showing different perspectives of each character and the situations they find themselves in.

May 4, 2013 3:25 PM

Oct 2012
sushi55 said:
Just curious about that as well as your signature.

It's from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

May 4, 2013 3:29 PM

Feb 2008
I think he meant the part about Pixar producing a better love story in 5 minutes than Clannad managed to do in 47 episodes.

May 4, 2013 3:33 PM

Oct 2012
corwin_r said:
I think he meant the part about Pixar producing a better love story in 5 minutes than Clannad managed to do in 47 episodes.

Oh whoops, that would make sense...

May 4, 2013 5:29 PM
Nov 2010
I also wish to be judged by you :D
May 5, 2013 6:47 AM

May 2012
Me too

May 5, 2013 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
moeslasher said:
Me too

get to watching GITS SAC and Noein since it's Steins;gate without the pandering, drop the berserk movie because the original anime is better in every way.

Also if anyone wants to rate my list don't bother with the PTW, there's just too many random variations to be properly judged. Just look at the other lists so if there's any recommendations to be had it would rather be based on that if anything, thank you.
removed-userMay 5, 2013 9:48 AM
May 6, 2013 2:34 PM
Jul 2012
Zylixae said:
GoldenBRS said:
rate my taste

With only 77 completed it's obvious that your taste can't be really refined. Combined with the age your favorites are all predictable and generic. Not your fault, just an observation.

You rate too high in general but I did that in the beginning as well. MAL says we got 80.2% but I doubt that we would agree on many shows regarding quality and value. The Clannad issue was pointed out already but your ratings seem only subjective in general.To recognise flaws while enjoying a show is always a decent goal. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy it because it got some flaws it just ain't perfect.

Even I probably rated AS too highly on my list because of the tear factor and the time that pasted since I watched it...but anyway...back on track.

There's 2 10's in your list that I would accept with Knk:5 and the Haruhi movie but that's about it. You should aim to define a mostly objective rating system that allows you to use the full scale. Of course subjective impression always is part of this but try to reduce it. If you get around to 200 completed shows and various genres that you watched, you should get a better grasp of what actually has quality or the shows that just blind with fun on the surface with many flaws and uncreative content.

A start would be to finish GitS:SaC and Higurashi.

Very late reply

Yeah I rate very high too with some shows. Because there were no flaws to the shows I've watch each. Hmm well you onto something.Shows have it's flaw part. If a show has a minor flaw, then I may score it good a little even the begining of the shows are good. But with major flaws, I score low. 73.0 now damn there is something wrong here.

Will watch gits soon once I finished all the shows. Can't go on to Higaushi.
May 6, 2013 2:35 PM
Jul 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
GoldenBRS said:
rate my taste

You rate a few shows too high. Clannad Afterstory is way too high. It had a few things going for it, but the restart ending ruined any chances of it being a "great" series. I don't get why the Tomoyo chapter got a 10. . . Don't try to explain it to me. Your words will be lost on me.

Also, you dropped TTGL and Inferno Cop but kept Bleach? Blasphemer. Watch more from the Enlightenment list.

Update inferno cop is a 8 and my favorites. What about now haha.
May 9, 2013 4:48 AM

Dec 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. I usually don't ask for suggestions because I always get tons of fanboys suggestions I don't care for but all series you recommended looks promising.
May 10, 2013 12:48 AM

Mar 2012
Recommend me something. Come on, you know you want to
AmberlehMay 10, 2013 1:08 AM
May 10, 2013 1:11 AM

Nov 2011
This is no longer a rate my list thread. This is a 'recommend me something BASED ON my list'.

Thank you. =)
May 10, 2013 3:41 AM

Mar 2012
Okay, then do that thing
May 10, 2013 4:20 AM

Jan 2013
SaberRitsu :
1 ) Heldensagen von Kosmosinsel
2 ) Ginga Eiyū Densetsu
3 ) LotGH
4 ) Legend of the galactic Heroes
:)

I see that you didn't read Berserk, Berserk is the best dark fantasy manga, the anime is a classic too but it cover 1/2 of the story and had low budget

If you're fan of Saber I guess you played FSN, then even if it's 70% translated ( and will probably not be fully translated until 3-5 years ) Fate Hollow Ataraxia is a must.

If you liked Kara no Kyoukai 1 I suggest watching the rest until at least the fifth, this one is without doubt the best of the series
shiranui51May 10, 2013 4:28 AM
May 10, 2013 7:02 AM

Apr 2012
@SaberRitsu

Hotarubi no Mori e
Planetes
Great Teacher Onizuka
Nodame Cantabile
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
May 10, 2013 7:47 AM
Jul 2018
can someone recommend me another good cyberpunk or dystopian anime/manga based on my list?
removed-userMay 10, 2013 7:53 AM
May 10, 2013 8:19 AM

Dec 2012
Burningblade04 said:
can someone recommend me another good cyberpunk or dystopian anime/manga based on my list?

Angel's Egg
Mind Game
Serial Experiments Lain
Psycho pass
Ergo Proxy
Eve no Jikan : ( Watch the movie not the ONA since it covers it anyway.)
Jin-Roh
May 10, 2013 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
>psycho piss

lol no

I already watched almost all of them, Angel's Egg doesn't count as it's an artsy anime with no actual plot to speak of, Mind game is more like another artsy anime on hallucinogens and isn't Eve no Jikan a sci-fi?

Can't really think of anything else besides ergo proxy, there really isn't anyone prominent in the staff besides Watanabe Shinchiro though. How is it compared to texhnolyze?
removed-userMay 10, 2013 8:33 AM
May 10, 2013 8:46 AM

Dec 2012
^ Oh lol sorry for some reason I read ''dystopian'' as ''dementia'' ._.
as for ergo proxy I don't know I didn't watch it maybe you should ask Tavor or Neanne since they have seen them both.
May 10, 2013 8:54 AM

Apr 2012
Burningblade04 said:
>psycho piss

lol no

I already watched almost all of them, Angel's Egg doesn't count as it's an artsy anime with no actual plot to speak of, Mind game is more like another artsy anime on hallucinogens and isn't Eve no Jikan a sci-fi?

Can't really think of anything else besides ergo proxy, there really isn't anyone prominent in the staff besides Watanabe Shinchiro though. How is it compared to texhnolyze?

I'd say Sato is pretty prominent as well. He has a pretty impressive resume.
As for how they compare, very similar actually. They're both very dark, fairly slow paced, but provide a bit of food for thought. If you liked Texhnolyze You'll probably like Ergo Proxy.
May 10, 2013 8:55 AM

Aug 2009
There are definitely similarities, but overall Texhnolyze is a step above Ergo Proxy imo. I'd still say to give EP a go though.
May 10, 2013 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
burningblade :
Try Shinsekai Yori if you want a distopian anime, some persons on this club think it's unremarkable but I consider it as one of the best anime ever made and for sure I'm not alone having it among my favourite animes. Considering you like Muv Luv Alternative it might be a good anime for you ( those two have completely different stories but gave me similar feelings, SSY is close to horror )
May 10, 2013 1:04 PM
Jul 2012
Detroit Metal City and daily lives of highschool boys too funny.
May 13, 2013 3:41 PM

May 2012
I would really appreciate some recommendations, picking shows at random has only sort-of been working out for me =)
May 13, 2013 3:51 PM

Oct 2012
RarityRoyale said:
I would really appreciate some recommendations, picking shows at random has only sort-of been working out for me =)

Hm, could go either way for you, but, Mawaru Penguindrum? You might like the way it simply unraveled into something completely different than originally intended, *almost* like NGE.

Edit: I see you have Utena as a favorite. In comparison, I've heard Penguindrum is less grand, so just keep that in mind (have yet to watch Utena, but I plan to nearly soonish).
ShoryuMay 13, 2013 3:55 PM

May 13, 2013 10:10 PM

Apr 2013
RarityRoyale said:

Watch Mawaru penguindrum I don't think it is good or anything but I think you will appreciate it by the same director/creator of Utena so Metaphors and symbolism etc..
and maybe try Shiki , Eden of the east and Bakemonogatari.
May 13, 2013 10:33 PM

Nov 2011
RarityRoyale said:

I still need to watch it myself, but try Rose of Versailles. It is said to be very similar to Utena and is probably what Utena was based on. Give Penguindrum a shot as well, as others are saying, but it isn't nearly as grand as Utena.

I'll second Eden of the East but don't watch Bakenmonogatari. You're a shoujo fan, Baken is a harem.
May 13, 2013 10:57 PM

Apr 2013
Amberleh said:
RarityRoyale said:

I still need to watch it myself, but try Rose of Versailles. It is said to be very similar to Utena and is probably what Utena was based on. Give Penguindrum a shot as well, as others are saying, but it isn't nearly as grand as Utena.

I'll second Eden of the East but don't watch Bakenmonogatari. You're a shoujo fan, Baken is a harem.

No it is not. I would advice you not to comment on something you only saw 2 episodes of , If anything bake is a pseudo-harem the only resemblance it has with other harems that it has more females than males in it.
Bakemonogatari mainly focus on heavy dialogue , witty character interaction , a little bit of action and Araragi and Hitagi's romance.
FYI Bakemonogatari is actually popular among female viewers not the sequel though.
May 14, 2013 12:42 AM

Nov 2011
Amberleh said:
In any case it's on her PTW so she can take or leave either of our opinions.
May 14, 2013 2:43 AM

Jun 2012
@rarity
I see you appreciate Sora no Woto which means you automatically have excellent taste. jk.

Aria is quite similar to it in terms of world-building but has a completely different atmosphere and outlook. Haibane Renmei is also somewhat similar, but I have yet to complete the show so it might not be a completely accurate rec.

Kobato. is a heartwarming story with meaningful messages and stars CLAMP as its original creator, suggesting it since you liked CCS. I consider this a quality show to an extent and it's definitely worthwhile. Some people did not like the initial slow pacing and series structure though.

@Araragi

Bakemonogatari has been vastly discussed in this club before you joined so neither Amber or the rest of the club is really ass-pulling anything. In any case Bakemonogatari is awesome not a series one should miss on unless he/she has a personal dislike of the style. I'd say watch and make your own opinion I guess.
May 14, 2013 4:07 AM

Feb 2008
Since you already have Cromartie Highschool in your Plan-to-Watch list, I recommend that. It's been a while since I've watched it, but from what I remember, it was pretty funny. The characters are great, with some really ridiculous "highschoolers" like a gorilla, Freddie (Mercury) and Mechazawa. I prefer the manga over the show though, as it gave me more laughs.
ZetaZakuMay 14, 2013 5:03 AM

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.