Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 16, 2013 12:33 PM

Apr 2012
Zerkalo said:
So, how's my taste?

Well, not bad but not that great either in my opinion. I see you are one of those fellas who is harder to please than most people, that makes me disagree with most of your scores. But I like that you gave a 10 out of 10 to Utena, but not to Lain. I would also like to know the reason you gave a 6 to Fate/Zero and Penguindrum, oh, and the 5 for Trigun. Other than that, it's just different opinions.
Apr 16, 2013 12:37 PM

Aug 2009
Hard to please? I think he simply uses a more spread rating system.
Apr 16, 2013 12:46 PM

Aug 2010
Please judge my shit taste and enlighten me! I dont know what to do with myself when I sleep at night. Recovering moetard and anime-elitist in training.
Apr 16, 2013 12:50 PM

Apr 2012
I don't know. I also try to be very harsh and critic, and not give 9's and 10's. But even then I end up having more 9's and 10's than most people here. I assume people with lower scores than I are simply harsher. Unless their meaning of a 5 or a 7 are different than mine meaning.
Apr 16, 2013 1:01 PM

Aug 2009
Yes, you're right. Their scoring system may be harsher, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are harder to please. I just wanted to point out that the rating system one uses doesn't necessarily reflects how much one enjoys their anime.

Matthew-san said:
Unless their meaning of a 5 or a 7 are different than mine meaning.

This is actually often the case. For many people on this site, 7 means average, and 5 bad, while for others it is 5 that they consider average. I belong to the latter group, for example. It's just a matter of preferring a more spread out scoring system.
Apr 16, 2013 1:15 PM

Nov 2012
Matthew-san said:
I don't know. I also try to be very harsh and critic, and not give 9's and 10's. But even then I end up having more 9's and 10's than most people here. I assume people with lower scores than I are simply harsher. Unless their meaning of a 5 or a 7 are different than mine meaning.

6 means that I enjoyed it. (= I'd recommend it)
I won't be able to give very concrete reasioning because I've watched alot other shows since watching these 3 but I'll try.
Penguindrum started very good. Art, humor and music was pretty good. But it got bad in the second half ( last episode was good though). The plot turned into a mess in my opinion.
The first half of Fate/Zero was only about powerlevels and fighting and had little progress. The second half was better but the ending didn't really explain what actually happened ( I didn't play the VN). And I didn't like the grail-war-concept to begin with. The characters weren't really memorable either.
I literally had to force myself through the like 10 episodes of Trigun. These were only about beating the villian of the week and cheesy overused humor. It got slightly better but humorous scenes and serious scenes rotated so quickly that it didn't really have an impact on me. And Vash was a pretty annoying hypocritical MC.
Apr 16, 2013 1:23 PM

Jun 2011
metamorphius said:
Matthew-san said:
Unless their meaning of a 5 or a 7 are different than my meaning.

This is actually often the case. For many people on this site, 7 means average, and 5 bad, while for others it is 5 that they consider average..

You know, I don't understand how people get confused on the whole 5=average thing. When you score a show on MAL it has a little dropbox with a definition of what every number means. It is right there and you literally cannot be unaware of the meaning when you give something a grade.
Apr 16, 2013 1:26 PM

Apr 2012
@Zerkalo

Oh, I see. I consider 6 to be just okay, not bad, but not enough qualities for me to recommend it to anyone. About the reasons you gave, I suppose I can understand why you think that way, but I don't thin it is worth discussing, as to some of our opinions seen to be complete opposite to one another.
Apr 16, 2013 1:28 PM

Nov 2012
Matthew-san said:
@Zerkalo

Oh, I see. I consider 6 to be just okay, not bad, but not enough qualities for me to recommend it to anyone. About the reasons you gave, I suppose I can understand why you think that way, but I don't thin it is worth discussing, as to some of our opinions seen to be complete opposite to one another.

No I WOULD recommend a 6.
Apr 16, 2013 1:32 PM

Feb 2013
Zerkalo said:
So, how's my taste?
Kino 9, Mushishi 7, how are you going to justify yourself?
Haibane Renmei, why are you all so excited over this show ? I mean i spent a good time watching it but that's not so big.
Howl no Ugoku Shiro, at last someone who agree this needs a punishment.

Rest looks alright.
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Apr 16, 2013 1:34 PM

Aug 2009
ForgoneReality said:
metamorphius said:
Matthew-san said:
Unless their meaning of a 5 or a 7 are different than my meaning.

This is actually often the case. For many people on this site, 7 means average, and 5 bad, while for others it is 5 that they consider average..

You know, I don't understand how people get confused on the whole 5=average thing. When you score a show on MAL it has a little dropbox with a definition of what every number means. It is right there and you literally cannot be unaware of the meaning when you give something a grade.

What can I say? I guess they (maybe even subconsciously) use that school grading system logic where 70% means average and anything below 60% failing. I am not justifying that, just explaining.
Of course, there are also those with completely skewed ratings where anything below 8 means it's shit, but I don't think that is even worth discussing.

Also, yes, you're right, MAL has description next to each numerical score, but what I've seen in my years on MAL, few are those who pay attention to it. That's why MAL's scores are as they are.
metamorphiusApr 16, 2013 1:38 PM
Apr 16, 2013 1:34 PM

Apr 2012
Zerkalo said:
Matthew-san said:
@Zerkalo

No I WOULD recommend a 6.

I didn't say you wouldn't, I said I wouldn't recommend a 6.
Apr 16, 2013 1:46 PM

Nov 2012
Sh0wdown said:
Zerkalo said:
So, how's my taste?
Kino 9, Mushishi 7, how are you going to justify yourself?
Haibane Renmei, why are you all so excited over this show ? I mean i spent a good time watching it but that's not so big.
Howl no Ugoku Shiro, at last someone who agree this needs a punishment.

Rest looks alright.

I really liked Mushishi, don't get me wrong. It was just that I thought it was a bit repetitive. Kino on the other hand had every episode another facinating world and story. I kind of prefered Kino's neutrality which fitted more the character of a traveller. Wouldn't have made sense in Mushishi I know but I still prefered it.

Well Haibane is maybe not for everyone and a lot of people probably watch it with the wrong expections. It just so beautiful in its simplicity. It has lovely and very deep developed characters. For me it was just so good in every aspect.

Yeah I kind of have the feeling that people just ignore Howl's flaws because it's directed by Miyazaki. It looked pretty but had such a bad direction, very anti-climatic twists and was preachy. It's nowhere as good as the other Ghibli movies.

Matthew-san said:

I didn't say you wouldn't, I said I wouldn't recommend a 6.

Sorry, than I misunderstood you.
YellowlineApr 16, 2013 3:33 PM
Apr 16, 2013 4:05 PM
Jul 2010
I am everything this club does not embody, let the roasting begin!
Let's begin with my anime list.
START
Apr 16, 2013 4:15 PM

Oct 2012
Usher said:
START

Sword Art Online would be one to stick out. I don't think I need to go into detail however...MAL dissected it into bits.

Robotics;Notes seems rather high. What did you enjoy from it? I loved Akiho, but that's about all the show really had me watching was because of her. Started out alright, but then seemed to be a try hard on Steins;Gate levels with a cliche/annoying villain. Suffered from a rushed story too, according to VN players.

Also curious about K, as that had so many things left unexplained, flashy repetitive special moves during fights, seemingly under developed characters, etc. Sure, the animation was the decent with a pretty nice OST, but other than that, eh.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 16, 2013 4:52 PM

Nov 2011
Usher said:
START

The only thing listed as a favorite on your profile page is Deedlit.

I am therefore unable to dissect your list due to my own obsessive love of Deedlit.
Apr 16, 2013 8:18 PM

Sep 2012
Zerkalo said:

Well Haibane is maybe not for everyone and a lot of people probably watch it with the wrong expections. It just so beautiful in its simplicity. It has lovely and very deep developed characters. For me it was just so good in every department.

Yeah I kind of have the feeling that people just ignore Howl's flaws because it's directed by Miyazaki. It looked pretty but had such a bad direction, very anti-climatic twists and was preachy. It's nowhere as good as the other Ghibli movies.

This.I love this guy(no homo).
AmberlehApr 16, 2013 8:21 PM
Apr 27, 2013 8:12 AM

Nov 2011
I know I have shit taste, and I'm insicure as hell, but why not?
Apr 27, 2013 8:18 AM

Aug 2009
@Tetrapharmakos

Shit taste? Are you kidding? I wish everyone's taste was as "shitty" as yours.
Apr 27, 2013 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
That's my way of being humble
Apr 27, 2013 8:26 AM

Aug 2009
Heh, I assumed that was be the case.
Apr 27, 2013 8:54 AM

Sep 2012
Tetrapharmakos said:
I know I have shit taste, and I'm insicure as hell, but why not?

I also want this Shitty taste.
Apr 27, 2013 10:56 AM

Feb 2008
@Tetraphamakos
If more people had a shitty taste like you, a community like MAL would turn into a utopia, instead of being a showcase of quality taste and values that it is now.

Excellent choice of favourites, nothing stands out in your ratings as questionable, maybe a bit harsher ratings of some more recent shows, but most of them aren't that remarkable either.

May 2, 2013 9:06 PM

Jan 2013
Well let's see how this goes, judge my list please...
May 2, 2013 9:49 PM

Nov 2011
Romario3210 said:

Favorites look good but Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki are definitely way too high, but I'm sure that's only because you haven't seen a lot of anime yet.

=)
May 2, 2013 11:12 PM

Jan 2013
Amberleh said:
Romario3210 said:

Favorites look good but Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki are definitely way too high, but I'm sure that's only because you haven't seen a lot of anime yet.

=)
Well those 2 were some of the first real anime I watched(excluding dbz, naruto, bleach etc.) so my memory is a bit hazy but I think I found them slightly enjoyable. Not really in my interest to rewatch so I'll stick with 7 :P
May 2, 2013 11:33 PM

Sep 2012
Looks fine overall. Mirai Nikki is pulpy, so despite all its problems I can see how it could at least be considered somewhat entertaining.

SAO, on the other hand...I'm wondering why it's a 6? I mean, it's not like that's a stellar score, but it is above average. I'm curious to know what you see in it.
May 2, 2013 11:59 PM

Jan 2013
Popka said:
Looks fine overall. Mirai Nikki is pulpy, so despite all its problems I can see how it could at least be considered somewhat entertaining.

SAO, on the other hand...I'm wondering why it's a 6? I mean, it's not like that's a stellar score, but it is above average. I'm curious to know what you see in it.
Well to be honest it had an interesting premise, a good soundrack, excellent action scenes especially during almost all the boss battles, nice visuals and it didn't make me bored while watching, well at least for the first half of the show. Well despite the insane amount of flaws I shouldn't have to explain thanks to MAL, it wasn't a forgettable experience.
May 3, 2013 12:14 AM

Sep 2012
I saw Birdy the Mighty: Decode before I watched SAO. It's another A-1 Pictures anime whose animation and action scenes I thought were excellent. The way A-1 animated SAO is quite a bit different from Birdy, and I didn't like the way it looked nearly as much, so I don't think I got as much out of the action scenes as some people did. Still, I won't deny SAO's technical chops.

I do think some series deserve an above average rating for well done action scenes, but that only applies when the rest of what the series has to offer is at least average. I found the rest of SAO's content to be bad, so I couldn't score it average or above.

But you're right, SAO won't be forgotten any time soon, whether it's for the animation and music or the shitstorms.
May 3, 2013 3:22 AM

Sep 2012
Well, your profile pic already shows signs of good taste. Looking at your list, I don't see much to criticize. I happen to find Cowboy Bebop fantastic, though you're not alone among members of this club in thinking that Champloo is better.
May 3, 2013 5:59 AM

Jun 2011
@Romario3210- From your responses, you seem to judge anime on a mixture of technical quality and writing quality, which is the same as me so I understand. I gave Elfen Lied a 7 as well, so no worries.
You might want to branch out with what type of shows you watch, because a lot of these fit into a similar atmosphere. It's fine to know what you like, but with so much diversity available in anime, it's nice to explore.

@heatsignature - Overall, pretty good. I like your tags as well.
May 3, 2013 10:53 AM

Feb 2012
i would like to be judged.
if you disagree with what i say, feel free to comment on my profile. in all likelihood, i won't come back to this thread.

May 3, 2013 11:52 AM

Jul 2012
I have returned. I'd like people to take a look at my list now, as its been changed a little since I first formed this thread many months ago. What do you guys think of it now?
May 3, 2013 12:58 PM

Jan 2013
to Battlechili1 :

- Nekomonogatari was decent but I can't understand why anyone would rate it above 8.
- I think that Neon Genesis Evangelion is far better than the rebuild, strange that you have it on hold while you rate the rebuilds 9
- 6 for Mononoke Hime ? Do you have a heart ? :( I also disliked it when I was young, then later I rewatched it and it became my favourite anime movie.

Not much to comment on your completed animes so I'll give some advices for your ptw :

- If you don't dislike reading mangas I suggest reading Berserk instead of watching it, only 1/3 of was made into anime. Still a classic
- don't watch SMT devil survivor 2, it's a bad adaptation, but SMT persona 4 the
animation wasn't bad
- Sankarea had a decent start but it become bad later, a bad watch
- read the vn instead of watching Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse unless you've already watched it
May 3, 2013 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
to Kukojo :

You seems to have similar taste to most of the elitist ( I am not a true elitist )
May 3, 2013 1:09 PM

Nov 2012
Battlechili1 said:
I have returned. I'd like people to take a look at my list now, as its been changed a little since I first formed this thread many months ago. What do you guys think of it now?

I really don't understand large parts of your list:
-Why you finished Neko without having finished Nise?
-Why did you watch the Rebuild movies without having watched NGE+EOE?
-Why have you so many On-Hold? I doubt that you can even remember what most of them were about, so you should put them on the dropped list or just delete them.
-You have only 4 series dropped. And one of them is Serial Experiments Lain.
May 3, 2013 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
Ha, to explain my huge on hold list: I put anything on there that I've seen at least one episode of and am interested in. I have horrible internet access at home, so watching anime is a hassle and inconvenient. Instead, I just watch one or two episodes, and then put it on hold until I'm more able to watch them.
As far as the Rebuild movies go, they were easier to access than the show. Plus, I was told that it wasn't necessary to have had watched the show to understand the rebuilds. Plus, my friend who told me all this happens to have spoiled and obsessed over NGE to such an extent where I know a lot of what happens in it anyway. I do remember what happened in quite a few of my on holds, by the way.
There haven't been that many shows that I've just absolutely despised that required a drop. Lain I felt was beyond horrible; It reminded me of when I watched Ghost Hound, except that unlike Ghost Hound, Lain didn't make a whole lot of sense. Well, it did, but it requires so much of the viewer that one must think long and hard about some of the events to understand them. I feel it asks way too much of the viewer. However the story itself is interesting. The internet combining with real life, Lain's slow transition into power just by using the internet, etc. I thought that was interesting. But the show could have been executed much better than it was, I think.

Also, to answer shiranui1, as far as Princess Mononoke goes, I feel the movie was very slow paced and forgettable. It was the least interesting Miyazaki film I've seen, in my opinion. Though I can see the appeal.

As far as having watched Nekomonogatari but not Nise, I stopped having the ability to watch Nise after watching about 7 episodes of it, sadly. Neko I had more access to, and consequently I watched it. It doesn't really hurt much since Neko was a prequel to Bake. Besides, Nise was the weakest of the three anyway. As far as its rating is, I felt it did everything that Bake did Neko did just as well.
May 3, 2013 3:52 PM

Sep 2012
I feel like Lain and the original NGE are, in some senses, on two ends of a spectrum, where NGE constantly has people sitting on a train and talking about their problems, Lain has almost no one talking directly about anything.

I'm not as big a Princess Mononoke fan as some people are; I think it's a great movie, but Miyazaki has a few that are better.

Not everyone scores FLCL highly, and they are justified in doing so, so I won't question that. I would like to ask why Cowboy Bebop is a 6?
May 3, 2013 4:40 PM

Nov 2009
Hey guys, I still think Clannad is basically one of the best thing ever. Thoughts on my profile? ;)
May 3, 2013 5:04 PM

Aug 2009
LostHanyou said:
Hey guys, I still think Clannad is basically one of the best thing ever. Thoughts on my profile? ;)

You are asking us to flame you? I would kindly oblige, but I cannot do that to a person who has Texhnolyze, Mushishi and Haibane in their favourites. Someone else, please take the task upon you.
May 3, 2013 5:16 PM

Jul 2012
Someone judge my terrible taste, please. ;_;
May 3, 2013 5:29 PM

Nov 2011
I watched a lot of mainstream anime and I have a guilty pleasure for otome game adaptations. Any thoughts for my list?
「喜びも悲しみもあなたさえ五等分なんです!」

May 3, 2013 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
Popka said:
I feel like Lain and the original NGE are, in some senses, on two ends of a spectrum, where NGE constantly has people sitting on a train and talking about their problems, Lain has almost no one talking directly about anything.

I'm not as big a Princess Mononoke fan as some people are; I think it's a great movie, but Miyazaki has a few that are better.

Not everyone scores FLCL highly, and they are justified in doing so, so I won't question that. I would like to ask why Cowboy Bebop is a 6?

From what I can tell, and I've seen some of the original NGE,(and plan on seeing more) I much prefer the NGE side of the spectrum.

As far as Cowboy Bebop goes, I felt that it failed to do either of the two things I want out of anime. I want either a good story, which, admittedly, Cowboy Bebop has, or a fun anime. Bebop has the problem of presenting only a few episodes that move the story forward. I feel that if the series was much shorter, it'd be a much better show. It feels unfocused, and I don't like that.
On the other hand, its not very fun either. Sure, there are a few fun episodes here and there, but the show as a whole seems to just drag on, never presenting anything particularly amazing or getting me excited about anything. My favorite part of the entire series was the last two episodes because of how story focused it became.
May 3, 2013 6:24 PM

Jan 2013
To LucyNightray :

Can't judge your tastes considering that you've watched almost no classics. I recommend you watch more of the classic animes. Most are included in the club enlightment list.

To Ihateeveryone :

fun list
"toothbrush rape" : that's the only thing I remember about Nisemonogatari, I'm ashamed of myself.

to both : consider downloading the Fate Stay Night visual novel if you've dropped it because the animes isn't good but you like the setting, I'm a big fan of the vn but I would rate the anime 6 compared to the vn that I rate 10.
May 3, 2013 7:38 PM

Nov 2011
I have some of the animes of the enlightment list in my 'plan to watch', I'm just a bit too lazy and sometimes a bit too busy to watch them.
「喜びも悲しみもあなたさえ五等分なんです!」

May 3, 2013 8:32 PM

Aug 2009
^ You are young and probably haven't been watching anime for long so no need to worry, you have enough time to watch them in the years to come. And here am I, speaking like a true old timer.

As others already said, I don't really have much to say/complain about your list.
metamorphiusMay 3, 2013 8:40 PM
May 3, 2013 8:46 PM

Jan 2013
I forgot to say it :
If you really like Kuroko no Basket you really should read Slam Dunk, Kuroko no Basket is obviously inspired from it for the action. And Takehiko Inoue is one of the best mangakas. The anime is decent but it suffers from old age while the manga is still a classic
May 3, 2013 10:26 PM

Feb 2012
shiranui51 said:
to Kukojo :

You seems to have similar taste to most of the elitist ( I am not a true elitist )

hmm, that's a good thing i s'pose. but tbh, im a bit surprised that haruhi being on my favorites didn't bother anyone :P
if you disagree with what i say, feel free to comment on my profile. in all likelihood, i won't come back to this thread.

May 4, 2013 4:51 AM

Dec 2007
I think I should be judged too.

I will have some free time in Summer so would you suggest something good to watch? I also think I should retake some of the Dropped and on-hold series? Any idea?
May 4, 2013 6:40 AM

Jan 2013
another Shinsekai Yori fan :D this anime hammered my mind and I enjoyed that

some recommendations :

- Legend of the galactic heroes : the best animes for most of the "elitists", my favourite anime too, must be watched to believe something like that can be made, first two episodes aren't interresting but after that it become unbielevably good.

- Monster : the best suspense manga, and the anime is as good as the manga ( faithful adaptation so I only watched the first episodes but it's obviously great )

- Berserk : the best fantasy manga, the anime was a low budget adaptation that only cover 1/3 of the 330 chapters but it's still a classic

- Full Metal Alchemist is a must, either the first anime or the second to start then both if you like, I think it's better to watch the 2003 anime before Brotherhood and most of those who watched both prefer it it had more depth and the first part was done better, then there's some good action in Brotherhood.

- I guess you already played these but if you rated Fate Zero 2nd season 9 then FSN realta nua and Tsukihime visual novels are a must for you, FSN vn is even better than Fate Zero in its third route

- Ucchu Kyoudai reminded me a lot of Arakawa Under the bridge, it's a slice of life with some humour and that anime makes people feel good

- If you watched the first two Kara no Kyoudai movies then watching these until the fifth is a must unless you disliked the firsts. The fifth Kara no Kyoukai is really the best of the series.

- finally two favourite of mine, Escaflowne ( fantasy-romance ) and Eureka Seven ( adventure ), these are classics and not hard to follow, you should know if you like or not from watching some episodes, there's many persons hating Eureka Seven in this club
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.